Microsoft: Please Take Money to Make Windows 8 Games

Pages PREV 1 2

ResonanceSD:

Neonsilver:

ResonanceSD:

Which is why you can make it look exactly like Win7, but make it function better than Win7, with a few mouseclicks. The "omg it uses tiles, what a fail" argument has been thrown around the forums already, and been shot down repeatedly by people actually using Win8.

I read that you can switch from the metro UI to a desktop, but I thought the metro UI replace the start menu. Without it, it doesn't look exactly like win 7.

What exactly is the problem with that, anyway?

A) No one's forcing anyone else to buy it

B) The "debate" is no different to people shouting "OMG! Activision/Capcom/Eidos/Ubisoft/Peter Molyneux CHANGED THE WAY THEY MADE THEIR GAME IN A SEQUEL AND THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER.

Seriously. It's Windows. Download Rainmeter if it's bugging you, and get a shell change back to Win3.1 if you want. My computer looks like the Animus right now.

I just asked because your comment confused me.

But the problem I see with the metro UI replacing the start menu is simple. The start menu allows the user fast access to installed programs using mouse and keyboard, the metro UI seems to be optimized for touchscreens.
Considering that most win 8 versions are probably installed on pcs which usually don't have a touchscreen it looks like a bad design decision.

I don't want to discuss if the metro UI is good or bad, since I didn't try win 8 yet I can only give the impression I got from screenshots and reviews.
I will probably give it a try.

Bigsmith:

And locked down? Huh, I can install what I want, how I want, when I want. Don't see any restrictions here. Still using all the programs made by people who said they don't like it. (Steam: Gabe, Minecraft: Notch.. etc etc).

I suggest you read a bit more about Win8's different environments (PC vs. tablet/phone) and the restrictions that apply to each. ARS Technica had a very thorough coverage about it. I don't remember about Notch's problems, but I understand Gabe's concern, since, unless MS changes anything in the announced policies, Steam is a no-go on Windows RT (i.e., tablet/phone).

The Win8 desktop (which exists only on PC) is still as free of restrictions as it was.

Bigsmith:

And before you bash me down for 'shooting people down for thier opinion'. My opinion is that I'm getting sick and tired of people who probably haven't used it moaning about how bad it is; plus these short news updates are hardly opinions, more like recycled news.

I haven't used it. However, I've spent a considerable amount of time reading about it. Based on that, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade, but that's because Win7 is good enough for my needs, not because of any serious Win8 failure on the PC. However, I won't buy a Win8 tablet/phone, for the same reason I won't buy an Apple tablet/phone - they're locked down.

[rant]

I have used Windows 8, and I don't like it one bit. It just seems poorly designed, apart from anything else. the new Start Screen and the Desktop are now practically two completely seperate operating systems - one that's based on WinRT and runs Windows Store Applications (or programs, a term I much prefer), and one that runs native programs. The former is basically a poor copy of Apple, and the latter is good ol' windows 7 but with a worse visual design and no start menu.

The gestures in the Start Screen work just find, and I can see how they make total sense on a touch screen device - but the thing is, the bast majority of computer hardware is (and for the forseeable future shall remain) resolutely not-touchscreen-based, and using these gestures with your mouse just feels weird and unintuitive. One of my customers the other day summed it up perfectly when I explained you needed to click and drag from the top of the screen down to the bottom to close a program: "Why can't I just click the red X?" ... "because there isn't one." ... "Oh."

Back to poor design, the two parts of Windows 8 don't seem to mesh together particularly well. Take, for example, the PC Settings in the Start Menu and the Control Panel in the desktop. They're both there, and the both work fine. The former has FAR fewer options than the latter, and can only be used to control the Windows Store programs (install/uninstall etc). The latter is still as powerful as always, but because of the lack of a start menu cannot be found on the desktop unless you make a shortcut there: unless you Search for it in the Start Screen, you wouldn't even know its there. This is the only place you can manage desktop programs. This does not seem to me like intuitive design.

The whole Windows Store locked down thing annoys me, I don't like anyone telling me what I can or cannot do or install on/with my computer. It's just wrong. If they want people to develop programs for their ugly, poorly designed new interface, they need to make people want to do so, not put barriers in their way. Also, I admit I've not researched it, but how on earth do you test your Metro programs during development if you cannot install them without Microsoft's prior approval?

Because of my job as a salesman at an electrical retailer, I had to do Microsoft's official retail certification program, teching me all the new selling points and how to use it etc. I found it EXTREMELY amusing how the official answer to the question "Won't the new Start Screen get in the way of the programs I usually use?" is "With one click, the familiar desktop is there for when you need to be more productive." They just admitted themselves that the new interface is counter-productive.

Finally, the changes which have happened are just a taste of what it likely to come if they decide this was a success - Windows 9 will probably relegate the Desktop to a "legacy" feature you have to pay extra to buy (like how you now need to pay extra to get Windows Media Centre in order to play DVDs!) so that the majority of people will be forced to use their new interface and buy their programs through the Windows Store.

Not to mention that Windows 8 requires that the BIOS on new computers support something called Secure Boot, which is designed to physically prevent the user from installing a different operation system if they so choose. Admittedly, the current Windows 8 hardware requirement spec requires that it be possible to disable this feature, and Microsoft states it's designed as a security feature to stop Viruses infecting the boot path. Fair enough. But Windows RT tablets are required to make it impossible to disable the feature. Now, that is inexcusable, and clearly shows where Microsoft wants to take this.

[/rant]

There is a lot more I could go into, but that ought to be enough fuel for the fire.

I briefly considered updating to win8, with the discounted price and all, but then found that the discounted version only supports a few activations (not that I've ever needed to re-activate win7..) and the update advisor program said my development environment wouldn't work. So that's that.

Bigsmith:
Oh wow, yet another report that is aimed to try and shoot Windows 8 down.

Yeah, we get it some people don't like Windows 8.

Meanwhile some of us actually do and are getting really sick and tired of the attitudes of people who probably haven't even used it.

So you like it, we get it. That won't change the long term problem microsoft is throwing at us by making it an apple rip off where they approve of EVERYTHING and we want to discuss it.

Candidus:
"most Windows don't give a damn about touch the screen."
"buy an Mac."

Is the editor okay? I'm just surprised those got in under the radar. First one's a bigun.

It's true though, I've talked to all of my windows and they don't care for touchscreens either.

And as for the second I'm sure it's a common misspelling of 'almanac'.

Windows 8 seems to me about trying to force a tablet OS onto a pc. I am not willing to spend the money on getting a touchscreen for my pc while I have a mouse, keyboard and windows 7 works. On the other hand if I have a tablet and windows 8 would let me install pc programs onto it (autocad comes to mind) I would definitly consider getting it for the tablet.

I'd like to just type "No." and have that be my whole comment, but the Post Length Banshee will get me.

Dirigibles.

RicoADF:

Windows 8 doesn't lock out non certified programs. Metro programs, aka windows store, require certification. Considering a lot don't even use metro it don't matter. Your programs install on desktop like normal.

Oh, good to know, Thanks!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or