Microsoft Retiring Windows Live Messenger in 2013

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Retiring Windows Live Messenger in 2013

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows Live Messenger is being phased out in favor of Skype.

In what he described as an ongoing effort to "deliver the best communications experience for everyone, everywhere," Tony Bates, president of Microsoft's Skype division, announced today that Windows Live Messenger will be replaced by Skype early next year.

"We will retire Messenger in all countries worldwide in the first quarter of 2013 (with the exception of mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available)," he wrote in a blog post.

Messenger users who sign into the latest version of Skype with their Microsoft account can now merge the two into a single account, which will automatically incorporate their buddy list into their Skype contacts. Other advantages include video calling from mobiles, group video calling, sharing screens and of course support for a wider range of support for devices including iPad and Android tablets.

"We will work with you over the next few months to help you transition and offer information and help along the way," Bates wrote. "To help you learn how to get the most out of Skype, be on the lookout for some special offers later this year."

Source: Skype Big Blog

Suppose I should actually start signing into Skype rather than messenger now. Its on my pc, i've just never used it.

Yes people, someone actually does still use it.

Boo... As someone who uses Messenger over Skype... I do not like this news.

BAH!

I use Messenger over skype....I've used it for so many years and I still many contacts on it who use it...*sighs*

well at least Microsoft is finally using their purchase, so does that mean that there is already a skype account with the same name as my messenger ID?

I do prefer Messenger over Skype. It's just easier to run.

Well, that sucks. Guess I better say goodbye to my friends now.

Wait... what? ... there's a Windows Live Messenger?

Well, I did always like messenger, but I have been using Skype more often now. Sucks I'll have to go through the process of merging my accounts.

I do have one grievance with Skype, the fact I have to open up task manager to close the freakin program. Stupid Microsoft.

Ok am I the only one who read this and said wait......... Skype from my Kinect to my Android phone...........

Well...That's worrying.
Is there anyway to have group chats in Skype?
You see, all of my online friends are always grouped in what we call the Random Commite, a MSN group that we use to chat altogheter. but that looks like it's going to be jeopardized by this...

People used Windows Live Messenger? Since when...??

Here,people use Skype as their default messenger since 2004.Before 4.0 it wasn't THAT resource heavy,but it got worse,and then MS bought them and things haven't gone any prettier than that.
On the bright side Skype supports cameras.

That's a pity. I despise Skype.

Who the hell cobbled together the current default UI noises (any of them) and said "YEP, THAT'S GONNA MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO USE THE PROGRAM."

Nopenopenope-uninstall uninstall uninstall uninstall uninstall...

l3o2828:
Well...That's worrying.
You see, all of my online friends are always grouped in what we call the Random Commite, a MSN group that we use to chat altogheter. but that looks like it's going to be jeopardized by this...

Group chat is super easy in Skype, whether it's voice chat or text. I wouldn't worry about it.

cidbahamut:

l3o2828:
Well...That's worrying.

Group chat is super easy in Skype, whether it's voice chat or text. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh thank god, If this forum had a +reputation function i would +rep you.
Inb4 someone reads that as rape.

ALSO: Captcha Yahoo! Describe this brand with any words...lol

Tiger Sora:
Well, I did always like messenger, but I have been using Skype more often now. Sucks I'll have to go through the process of merging my accounts.

I do have one grievance with Skype, the fact I have to open up task manager to close the freakin program. Stupid Microsoft.

you should be able to do the same from the system tray (the arrow near the clock) right click on the icon, and click "Quit" (you can also use this to modify your status, and open the main panel if you have closed all the windows.

Candidus:
That's a pity. I despise Skype.

Who the hell cobbled together the current default UI noises (any of them) and said "YEP, THAT'S GONNA MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO USE THE PROGRAM."

Nopenopenope-uninstall uninstall uninstall uninstall uninstall...

you know you can change those right?

Windows Live Messenger will be red and dead :(

Me and my friends have been using it for years. Its the best way to have group text conversations in the background while you compute.

I find the part where Mainland China gets to keep it rather funny. Why? I don't know. Maybe they just love their Messenger there?

OT - Let's hope they do this with IE, Bing and Movie Maker.

l3o2828:
Well...That's worrying.

Considering I've had group voice chats over Skype before, I'd bet you can text during these sessions too.

Used to use this all the time back when it was MSN, I still use it but I run a mod so I can run the 2009 version because I hate how the modern one looks like a god damn web browswer bloated with adverts etc.

I've never used Skype either tbh, Might have to try it.

interesting, while I prefer messenger over Skype, I can see why they'd want one messenger program to support.

jFr[e]ak93:
OT - Let's hope they do this with IE, Bing and Movie Maker.

Unfortunately, MS is undergoing another brain hemorrhage with this 'Windows 8 uses the Metro interface on a desktop' madness, so it's unlikely that's going to happen.

OT- Yep, I hate Skype too. I think it's cause the application became rather shoddy on Linux after MS bought Skype. It's only me who has problems for some strange reason; my unexperienced tech friends have no trouble with Skype on my Linux install...

Gah, I'm another one of the many in this thread that prefer Messenger. Switching to Skype... meh. I can get used to that. Thank God it's not Yahoo Messenger though.

Tiger Sora:

Right click the skype icon on the task bar, and there is an option called "quit skype."

MrBenSampson:

Tiger Sora:

Right click the skype icon on the task bar, and there is an option called "quit skype."

Yes well the icon on the bottom left side of the bar doesn't allow me to close it. There is the option, but it doesn't work. Someone mentioned the icon on the right side next to the clock and that one does.

Don't assume that the most obvious root was never taken, I sigh at you and lower my head in disappointment.

The reason China is keeping messenger is because MS does not own the rights to operate Skype in China, another company does. Also,this other company is using a much older version of skype and logs everything that is sent and received on its servers. I'm pretty sure MS doesnt want ppl to mere accounts with this company's.

Source: I live in China.

Tiger Sora:

MrBenSampson:

Tiger Sora:

Yes well the icon on the bottom left side of the bar doesn't allow me to close it. There is the option, but it doesn't work. Someone mentioned the icon on the right side next to the clock and that one does.

Don't assume that the most obvious root was never taken, I sigh at you and lower my head in disappointment.

Well, I remember having the same issue with it a year ago, and a friend had to point that out for me. I was just trying to be helpful.

MrBenSampson:

Tiger Sora:

MrBenSampson:

Well, I remember having the same issue with it a year ago, and a friend had to point that out for me. I was just trying to be helpful.

Well you sounded like a jerk the way you said it. It wasn't as you intended to say it as. I apologize.

Tiger Sora:
Well you sounded like a jerk the way you said it. It wasn't as you intended to say it as. I apologize.

Tone is difficult to convey in writing. I guess I should have used an emoticon. No problem. :-)

Since Microsoft bought Skype, it went to shit, it overused ram and internet, and every patch makes it more like Windows' OS, everything's hidden. I still use msn, but the old version cuz like I said before, MS fucks everything, anything "LIVE" from Games for Windows to Live essentials is shit.

I don't use either so I don't really care. That is the entirety of my thought process. Although I do worry for Skype's health.

Well thats frustrating for 2 reasons, while I use skype and messenger messenger comes in handy as it starts up when my PC does and instantly informs me of any emails I have without having to go to hotmail etc etc. and I often have it on in the background in case of emails

Reason 2, now I have to teach my folks how to use skype, took them long enough to learn messenger!

I am not amused.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or