Microsoft Retiring Windows Live Messenger in 2013

Pages PREV 1 2

gardian06:

Candidus:
That's a pity. I despise Skype.

Who the hell cobbled together the current default UI noises (any of them) and said "YEP, THAT'S GONNA MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO USE THE PROGRAM."

Nopenopenope-uninstall uninstall uninstall uninstall uninstall...

you know you can change those right?

I won't be put to that inconvenience. No, I'm not kidding.

If the noises for your program are obnoxious-- for example, retarded, nerve-grating sighs for login and logout, Skype-- then I find it much easier to uninstall your program than to fiddle with it.

When MS messenger goes kaput I'll look into other options, but Skype won't be one of them.

People still use Windows Messenger? Huh...

I only use Skype for voice/video chat. It's horrible as an IM system.
The reasons I use Windows Live messenger are as follows:
1. There are some people I'd rather just text-chat with. (Primarily co-workers)
2. It informs me of any new incoming emails.
3. I'm used to it.
4. It works.

Skype for simply text chatting? Hell no.
It would be far better if they just left it alone. Both programs that is.

messenger has steadily declined in both popularity and quality. (i think the second influenced the first) over the last 10 years. right now i use it to contact 1 single contact, i used to speak to 20 daily. it is dieing and at least they are letting it go.
what worries me is that they merge with the worst messadging system out there - skype. why is that not dead yet is beyond me. are peopel really THAT stupid?

Strazdas:
messenger has steadily declined in both popularity and quality. (i think the second influenced the first) over the last 10 years. right now i use it to contact 1 single contact, i used to speak to 20 daily. it is dieing and at least they are letting it go.
what worries me is that they merge with the worst messadging system out there - skype. why is that not dead yet is beyond me. are peopel really THAT stupid?

You shouldn't ask questions that you won't like the answer of........... yes they are, look at the popularity of apple as evidence.

l3o2828:

Is there anyway to have group chats in Skype?

Yes, it's pretty easy. Just go and get versions from before Microsoft removed all the features (4.2 runs well).

I consider the new skype (v5 onwards) as the most intrusive program I've ever installed on a PC (haven't had Origin yet). It was impossible to remove it without a Linux live system and regedit. And that was AFTER I uninstalled. Here's a supplementary comparison of RAM usage:
Skype 5.6 ~110MB chat, ~160MB audio calls, ~200MB video calls
Skype 4.2 ~34-36MB chat, under 100MB audio calls, over 100MB video calls.
The functions they have are completely the same. So why would the newer version use more RAM and clog my internet connection if I use it? (The difference in ping time is drastical: 4.2 60ms; 5.6 ~100ms)

Wait, so Microsoft is taking their ownership of Skype as a cue to phase out their existing competing product instead of phasing out Skype and folding some of its features into said existing product? Well, that's a new one for Microsoft, certainly.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here