Skyrim DLC Approaches PS3 Launch, Still No Official Date

Skyrim DLC Approaches PS3 Launch, Still No Official Date

PlayStation 3 owners still hanging on for new Elder Scrolls content may finally get what they've been waiting for.

PS3 owners have been watching their Xbox-owning counterparts enjoy expanded content for the latest Elder Scrolls title since June, but it appears that Bethesda is nearly ready to show Sony's console some love. In a tweet from the company's developer account, Bethesda notes "we're also close on new Skyrim content for PS3 and PC."

The PC community has a vibrant modding scene to help extend the life of titles like Skryim - and both the PC and Xbox 360 have already received a pair of DLC add-ons - but PlayStation 3 owners don't have that same luxury. As we approach the 1-year anniversary of the game's launch, gamers who long ago completed the wealth of story missions and side quests could definitely use some attention.

Back in August of this year, Bethesda revealed that it was having issues getting the first DLC add-on, Dawnguard, working on the PS3, but noted that it was already working on other expansions as well. It's unclear what new content the company is planning on bringing to the system, but assurance that something is on the way should give PlayStation gamers some hope for the future of the title.

Source: Twitter

We better get Dawnguard, I really want to play it. It would be nice if it was free too.

Hopefully while we're still in this Era?

Quiet Stranger:
We better get Dawnguard, I really want to play it. It would be nice if it was free too.

If it was free, they wouldn't have gone through all the effort of figuring out how to put it on the PS3 to begin with.

After playing through the main story on the PS3 and running into the original lag bug, I traded it in, and picked it up on steam the first time they had a sale. Haven't looked back since. Hopefully they take care of the PS3 players on this though, but lessons learned people, don't buy a bethsoft game on that console.

tangoprime:
After playing through the main story on the PS3 and running into the original lag bug, I traded it in, and picked it up on steam the first time they had a sale. Haven't looked back since. Hopefully they take care of the PS3 players on this though, but lessons learned people, don't buy a bethsoft game on that console.

Or not on the PS3 at least. Bethesda needs to stop this exclusivity nonsense. They also need to accept the fact that if their going to release a game multiplatform they need to know how to make the game run on all platforms. They're one of a handful of companies that can't accomplish that.

AzrealMaximillion:

tangoprime:

Or not on the PS3 at least. Bethesda needs to stop this exclusivity nonsense. They also need to accept the fact that if their going to release a game multiplatform they need to know how to make the game run on all platforms. They're one of a handful of companies that can't accomplish that.

To be honest I think PS3 owners just need to accept that exclusivity is here to stay. Xbox users pay for Live (the much-mocked 'lol you pay for your internet twice) and some of that money is portioned off to offer incentives for developers to give the Xbox preferential treatment.

You have better graphics, just a less devious marketing department and I don't think that's gonna change any time soon.

I think Bethesda would earn back a lot of trust form the PS3 crowd if they did some kind of promotional bundle when the DLC hits. Maybe offer all three DLCs for like $25?

One issue is that PS3 players cant get mods that cut down on the back log of stuff that slows you down.

Every item moved, EVERYTHING lags your game over time.
Its a real shame that Bethesda did not iron out PS3 issues earlier...but what can you do?
I hear lots of people complain about how hard it is to work on the PS3.

"we're also close on new Skyrim content for PS3 and PC."
Does that mean Dragonborn might come out on PC before Christmas after all?

Get the the DLC out, and I'll buy it.

That's the deal.

I want to play it, and you want my money. Get it done, and everyone wins.
<_> Please let it be not SOOOO far away.

Fappy:
I think Bethesda would earn back a lot of trust form the PS3 crowd if they did some kind of promotional bundle when the DLC hits. Maybe offer all three DLCs for like $25?

Yes, I would buy that in a heartbeat!

<_< However, I know that it's supposed to be harder to get people to buy dlc the longer you wait to give it out, and.......Well you see what I'm getting at here.

They may not be able to give a deal on the dlc at this point.
I may be wrong though. They could maybe come up with some other dlc stuff to give away for free, but at this point I just want to get the dlc.

Fappy:

I would completely forgive them if they did that and I don't know if they will, but hey, stranger things have happened.

As for this DLC, nope. It sounds awesome and I would get it when it comes out, but they lost me after failing to bring the other DLC bits to the PS3.

I'll believe it when I see it. If anything can get me to re-install Skyrim on my PS3, it would be new content. However, I've heard this promise before and nothing's come of it.

BroJing:

AzrealMaximillion:

tangoprime:

To be honest I think PS3 owners just need to accept that exclusivity is here to stay. Xbox users pay for Live (the much-mocked 'lol you pay for your internet twice) and some of that money is portioned off to offer incentives for developers to give the Xbox preferential treatment.

You have better graphics, just a less devious marketing department and I don't think that's gonna change any time soon.

Its not just PS3 gamers that are suffering though. PC gamers too. I don't think this exclusive DLC crap is going to continue next generation. The exclusivity didn't help any JRPG on the Xbox 360 sell any better. It didn't help when most Bethesda game DLC came out glitched to shit. Its just MS wasting money for needless incentives. Especially timed exclusives. Gamers are more patient than the big companies like to give credit, especially when its just DLC.

There's still no excuse for Bethesda not being able to code for all platforms.

There had better be some major discount on these. I spent the money I was saving for them months ago.

Lets hope they learned their lesson after all the Hate directed at them for the quality of the game on the PS3 at launch. Doing whatever it takes to meet a launch window is no excuse for a buggy game on that level. Skyrim should not have launched on the PS3 the way it did. Sure it would have made people angry for it being out on the 360 and PC first, but I hate it more when I put down 60 bucks for a game only to have it bug out for me, but work on the other platforms. The bugs were mostly caused by this "It's OK because we can launch with bugd. We're Bathesda". Sure some bugs are funny. Lady falling though the floor, or dead guy floating in air is funny. AI running forward into a trap just to die, also funny. Having the game bog down, glich out, and then crash is not funny. If its taken as long because they are incompetent at programming for the PS3, but are now wise enough to know they can't launch until it works, then at least they've learned something. I'd be really pissed off if I bought the DLC only to have the game continue to glitch out.

Fappy:

Personally I was hoping they'd just give us a cheaper GOTY edition.

Fappy:

THREE dlcs?

Theres only two, as far as I know anyways... actually is probable than I might of missed one of those idk.

BroJing:

AzrealMaximillion:

tangoprime:

You realise the list of exclusive content isn't that high and PS3 gets exclusive games etc as well right? I have all systems and frankly there's little difference (except Xbox dashboard is inferior to the PS3 interface)

edit: to clarify, the new 'tiles' dashboard Sucks, the older one was good and equal to the PS3 setup

aguspal:

Fappy:

THREE dlcs?

Theres only two, as far as I know anyways... actually is probable than I might of missed one of those idk.

Dawnguard, Hearthfire and the upcoming Dragonborn makes three.

tmande2nd:

I hear lots of people complain about how hard it is to work on the PS3.

"Oh no, its so hard." - They're software developers, they need to HTFU and do their jobs.

As someone who worked on optimization problems from standard Intel CPUs to highly parallel architectures across multiple computers it's not hard at all if you're willing to put an inkling of effort into it. The (legitimate) excuse that there wasn't enough information around for developers stopped when Naughty Dog got the hang of things in Uncharted. Now it's just pure laziness or incompetence.

Now that Zenimax has both ID Software and Bethesda under them, now there might be decent game engines in the Elder Scrolls games. Rage might of not been a good game, but IDTech has always raised the bar for quality on game engines.

Well maybe we'll finally be getting something new for Skyrim on the PS3. I really do hope so. :( I mean, it's an excellent game, but there's still only so much one can do with it.

It won't be the DLC. It's a patch, that will probably add kill cams for magic or something. When people have reported the tweet, they report it as dlc, when the tweet says content.

The reason this is an important issue, is how Pete Hines defined the words add-on content in the early days of this crazy story. Any patch and the content it contains (ie the kill cams and fighting from horseback) is considered new content in his explanation. The reason he defined the add-on content from the back of the box, is when ps3 fans were attempting to rally together to sue bethesda for false advertising.

Next up, The PC isn't missing content, or rather after the 30 day wait, won't be missing the dragonborn dlc. The 360 contract probably referred to the full sized dlc's, instead of the small Hearthfire.

PS3 fans shouldn't get there hopes up. Unless they say that it's the dlc, don't expect it to be the dlc.

Yup! An optimization patch would be nice. Save data nearing 10 000Kb...

That and going into the water without crashing the universe.

But DLC, yes please. ^^

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here