Three Protagonists Taking Over Los Santos in GTA V

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Three Protagonists Taking Over Los Santos in GTA V

Grand Theft Auto V's main characters have been revealed on the cover of December's Game Informer.

After months with no details, information about the long-awaited Grand Theft Auto V is slowly but surely being released. Last week, Rockstar Games promised that it would be the biggest, most ambitious game in the series so far. The December issue of Game Informer features a Grand Theft Auto V cover story, which shows off the game's protagonists for the first time. Yes, that's protagonists, plural; GTA V will have three main characters.

As confirmed in the trailer released last week, Grand Theft Auto V will take place in Los Santos, which was previously the setting for 2005's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Game Informer hasn't yet stated any other details about the characters, like their names or why they're toting weapons on the streets of Rockstar's version of Los Angeles, but that information will presumably be in its 18-page story. According to the publication, the way these protagonists are used will be "groundbreaking."

Does the presence of three protagonists imply that GTA V will have co-op? Three separate campaigns? GI's 18-page story will have more details, but for now all we can do is speculate. Grand Theft Auto V is due out in the spring of 2013.

Source: Game Informer

Awesome! I am even more hyped for this game! Are you able to play as all of them during the story? If so, then consider me more hyped than I was before!

I am a little too excited for this game!

Although the setting in Los Santos is gonna be awesome, I do hope the next one is set in Las Venturas! Los Santos is getting a sweet redesign, why not Los Venturas! As for San Fierro, it was my least favorite island, but I hope we get a game set there too!

Rockstar, don't tease me! I've been burnt too many times!

OT: I am looking way way too forward to this. I hate when I know about a game's development way before it's release date...years and years of waiting for teasers, surviving off screen-shots and twitter posts. So, come soon 2013..come soon.

Maybe I am just a little bit too damaged by gender studies, but my first reaction was "three protagonists and not one of them is a woman?". I suppose that maybe I am just a bit spoiled by Saint's Row 2 and 3 that allowed you to pick gender freely and even adapted dialogue and interactions with NPCs to fit your gender (and even which of the six different personalities you choose in SR3).

Still, this could be awesome as long as Rockstar get their act together and decide whatever they want a narrative driven game or a sandbox game.

so one's a undercover cop, another one is a criminal mastermind, and the last one is a victim gone rogue

Gethsemani:
I suppose that maybe I am just a bit spoiled by Saint's Row 2 and 3 that allowed you to pick gender freely and even adapted dialogue and interactions with NPCs to fit your gender (and even which of the six different personalities you choose in SR3)

I lost count of the times my Hispanic female was called like likes of man and dude, not to mention referred to as 'he' in conversations.

Anyway, GTA V looks interesting. Hope it's continuing the theme of IV; being a little darker.

Might wanna double check your links. Last YEAR, not last WEEK. Those articles may say november, but they also say 2011 :P

I really would have liked to see how Rockstar would pull off a female protagonist in GTA. Alas, not this time.

Gethsemani:
Maybe I am just a little bit too damaged by gender studies, but my first reaction was "three protagonists and not one of them is a woman?".

My thoughts too. When I saw the "three protagonists" headline, I got interested and assumed at least one would be. Disappointed.

Then again, part of me worries what a female lead would look like in the GTA world...

Gethsemani:
Maybe I am just a little bit too damaged by gender studies, but my first reaction was "three protagonists and not one of them is a woman?". I suppose that maybe I am just a bit spoiled by Saint's Row 2 and 3 that allowed you to pick gender freely and even adapted dialogue and interactions with NPCs to fit your gender (and even which of the six different personalities you choose in SR3).

Still, this could be awesome as long as Rockstar get their act together and decide whatever they want a narrative driven game or a sandbox game.

Not the only one. I've been begging for an actual female player character in GTA since San Andreas. Maybe it's too much trouble to re-work the hooker mechanic.

Three protagonists and they still couldn't fit in a female, kinda lame.

TizzytheTormentor:
Awesome! I am even more hyped for this game! Are you able to play as all of them during the story? If so, then consider me more hyped than I was before!

I am a little too excited for this game!

Although the setting in Los Santos is gonna be awesome, I do hope the next one is set in Las Venturas! Los Santos is getting a sweet redesign, why not Los Venturas! As for San Fierro, it was my least favorite island, but I hope we get a game set there too!

According to this, all of their storylines will intertwine, but I'm not sure how frequently. It says we'll be able to swap between them whenever we want out of mission, but in missions you're locked into a character until the game provides you with the opportunity to swap, they gave a couple examples, like repelling into a building, holding someone gunpoint and being given the opportunity to either stay as the guy holding someone hostage or swap to a nearby rooftop as one of the other protagonists currently set up with a sniper rifle. It seems like a good idea, and with the focus on heist-like missions that they described in the article I think there will be opportunity to utilise the system to full badassery.

All male? That is a shame. Still it looks good.

GTA games are always top quality, but I do hope that we will stick with one character, rather than having episodic changes of protagonists.

I never really enjoy changing characters mid-campaign. Hopefully this will mean co-op.

Worgen:

Knight Captain Kerr:

It is a shame, but then again, having a female protagonist just to please people would be worse. It'd just be box ticking. If they didn't think a female protagonist would work in the story, then it's better off not to have one, as opposed to have one for the sake of it.

It's possible that the characters are needed to be males. They could be ex-cons or ex-squad mates from the military or something, where they all share a past.

Sarah LeBoeuf:

As confirmed in the trailer released last week,

That was a year and a week ago.

OT:

I was kind of hoping I'd get to play as CJ again. I thought he was really great.

Worgen:

They'll get there eventually. Remember: time heels all wounds.

Worgen:

Unless of course...One of them was a female.

It's nice to see them trying something new and as always for a rockstar game, I'm hyped.

Legion:
GTA games are always top quality, but I do hope that we will stick with one character, rather than having episodic changes of protagonists.

I never really enjoy changing characters mid-campaign. Hopefully this will mean co-op.

Worgen:

Knight Captain Kerr:

It is a shame, but then again, having a female protagonist just to please people would be worse. It'd just be box ticking. If they didn't think a female protagonist would work in the story, then it's better off not to have one, as opposed to have one for the sake of it.

It's possible that the characters are needed to be males. They could be ex-cons or ex-squad mates from the military or something, where they all share a past.

It wouldn't have to be shoehorned in at all, hell you could make a woman be ex military or an ex con, I've got a back story for her right here.
Shes an ex-Israeli solder who moves to the states to help her sister get out of some trouble she got into. See, bam, compelling.

Wouldnt mind seeing a female but not really caring either way, its a new GTA so I'm happy!

As long as they bring back the ability to buy and run businesses I'll be happy.

The scans with lots of info are floating around the internet. I read them, and I'm so fuckin' stoked. I always get incredibly hyped for a new GTA game. More so than for any other game.

Seems to me that they are imitating Yakuza.

That said, I'm less excited about the idea than I probably should be, I considered GTA IV a bit of a disappointment especially compared to SR 2 and even 3. To me it seems like a choice that is going to lead the game in an increasingly cinematic, and less sandbox-ish type enviroment, probably a situation where your forced to switch between characters at pivotal moments to show things from a differant perspective, and the various "gating" is going to be accomplished that way, with limited enviroments for each character at any given time.

I could be wrong about that, but I can't help but think "GTA V: Yakuza Clone" when I hear this.

Any way it goes, we'll see what happens. It's one of those cases where I'll definatly be holding back to see the reaction rather than racing out to pre-order a CE. To be honest the whole lockbox/dufflebag CE for GTA4 was very nice though, I actually thought the packaging was cooler than the game, though I must admit the bag was pretty flimsy (ripped when I tried to use it on a vacation, it wasn't even being treated roughly).

Is it as crazy and fun as SR3? If not, I am not buying it.

If it's actually going to be "groundbreaking" (which I doubt it will be; let's not forget GTA4's pathetic "choices" that were supposed to be a big feature), I would think that it would be at least something like this:

- Each character can do each mission (or some, anyway, wouldn't make much sense for, say, Left White Guy to help Middle Black Guy's family with something deeply personal).
- Missions, and the story overall, change based on which character does which mission as well as, potentially, what you do in said missions.
- There are potential personal consequences/diverging outcomes for the resolution - one character could die based on what you do, for example.

But I bet we'll just be able to pick which generic dude we want and we go down one UND EXACTLY VUN track.

Evil Smurf:

It isn't and why should it be? Saints Row fills that niche.

GTA is filling the niche movies like Goodfellas fill in the movie industry; the serious crime story with plenty of black humor. And I love GTA, as I love those movies, for it. Rockstar is a really good at storytelling, building atmosphere and (usually) creating solid characters.

That's frankly all I want from GTA5. GTA4 felt a little bland in that regard with the two expansion packs really improving a lot. And in terms of visual atmosphere GTA5 is already two steps ahead of 4. Frankly, I really can't wait.

Therumancer:
Seems to me that they are imitating Yakuza.

That said, I'm less excited about the idea than I probably should be, I considered GTA IV a bit of a disappointment especially compared to SR 2 and even 3. To me it seems like a choice that is going to lead the game in an increasingly cinematic, and less sandbox-ish type enviroment, probably a situation where your forced to switch between characters at pivotal moments to show things from a differant perspective, and the various "gating" is going to be accomplished that way, with limited enviroments for each character at any given time.

I could be wrong about that, but I can't help but think "GTA V: Yakuza Clone" when I hear this.

There's so many things wrong with that last line it hurts.

C'mon.... Really now? You GTA is trying to copy the Yakuza series -with the most latest addition of that series focusing on a zombie apocalypse in Japan- based solely on the premise that there are now multiple protagonists? Because it's such an unused concept?

Best possible outcome? Coop with separate converging storylines. Worst possible outcome, mandatory online coop with separate converging storylines.

I don't know how, but I had no idea this was taking place in Los Santos. That fact alone increases my interest exponentially. That was such a rich setting and allowed the living out of the hip-hop from my childhood.

Show Capcom how to do a story with 3 protagonists, Rockstar!

Not that I'm not excited for this game, I am, but "groundbreaking" is a word that Game Informer uses for every fucking AAA game coming out these days. So as much fun as it will be to either have co-op or 3 separate, intertwining campaigns I probably wouldn't call it "groundbreaking", just a shit load of fun.

You know, I loved all PS2 GTAs. I played GTAIV for like an hour and I couldn't get into it at all. So I hated it. But...GTAV is getting me all pumped up.
I wonder if I already got my digital issue of GI...

Worgen:

Legion:

Worgen:

Knight Captain Kerr:

It wouldn't have to be shoehorned in at all, hell you could make a woman be ex military or an ex con, I've got a back story for her right here.
Shes an ex-Israeli solder who moves to the states to help her sister get out of some trouble she got into. See, bam, compelling.

Oh right replace Hispanics with most likely white women. That's totally better. Because we all know white people never get enough coverage about how hard it is to to be white in a white person's world.

That totally wouldn't come off badly to minorities or the general public. /sarcasm overload

Give Rockstar the chance to give Hispanics a turn, they haven't gotten their turn yet. Its not like its the last GTA to ever be made. Stop freaking out over nothing.

Gethsemani:
snip

few things wrong with statements

1 the protagonist in the ballad of gay tony was hispanic, and i believe one of the "stories " games,

2 it wouldn't be shoe horned in, you haven't even seen the damn story, they could have just replaced the guy on the right with a woman you wouldn't have ever known

and 3 what if they did shove a lady in there, so the f*** what, would your penis meter break

you calm down

Cowabungaa:

Evil Smurf:

It isn't and why should it be? Saints Row fills that niche.

GTA is filling the niche movies like Goodfellas fill in the movie industry; the serious crime story with plenty of black humor. And I love GTA, as I love those movies, for it. Rockstar is a really good at storytelling, building atmosphere and (usually) creating solid characters.

That's frankly all I want from GTA5. GTA4 felt a little bland in that regard with the two expansion packs really improving a lot. And in terms of visual atmosphere GTA5 is already two steps ahead of 4. Frankly, I really can't wait.

although i agree with your first assertion
the gta4 stories were pretty awesome, they always had like 2 annoying characters, but every gta has some annoying characters

Ultratwinkie:

Worgen:

Legion:

Oh right replace Hispanics with most likely white women. That's totally better. Because we all know white people never get enough coverage about how hard it is to to be white in a white person's world.

That totally wouldn't come off badly to minorities or the general public. /sarcasm overload

Give Rockstar the chance to give Hispanics a turn, they haven't gotten their turn yet. Its not like its the last GTA to ever be made. Stop freaking out over nothing.

What the hell are you talking about? Is there a hispanic woman you play as in the game?
From the article picture it looks like its two white guys and a black guy. Anyway, I was just giving an example of a way you could have a women who is ex military since having some kind of back story that would show they have knowledge of weapons is very important in gta games. >.> Anyway, one of the few military's I know of that is integrated with woman as front line troops is Israel, so I went with them, I don't know of any hispanic counties with an integrated military.

GZGoten:
so one's a undercover cop, another one is a criminal mastermind, and the last one is a victim gone rogue

Michael is a snitch, not a cop.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or