Warfighter Work Lands SEALs in Hot Water

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Warfighter Work Lands SEALs in Hot Water

Seven members of the U.S. Navy SEALs have been punished for revealing secrets while working on Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

To boost its credibility as a "realistic" military shooter, Electronic Arts brought in active-duty Navy SEALs to consult on the development of the recent Medal of Honor: Warfighter. How much of an impact they actually had on the game is debatable - they worked for only two days over the spring and summer, and the review scores speak for themselves - but their time on the game was enough to land them in deep trouble with their superiors.

Seven members of SEAL Team Six, including one who participated in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, have been disciplined for "revealing secrets" while working on the game. Four others who have since transferred out of the unit but are still on active duty are also under investigation.

It's not known what secrets they gave away, but they did apparently make use of classified Navy documents in their role as consultants. The seven were disciplined for failing to seek permission from their superiors to work on the game and for showing game designers some of the "specially-designed combat equipment unique to their unit."

"We do not tolerate deviations from the policies that govern who we are and what we do as sailors in the United States Navy," Naval Special Warfare Command Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Garry Bonelli said. He added that the disciplinary actions "send a clear message throughout our force that we are and will be held to a high standard of accountability."

The seven SEALs involved have all received a letter of reprimand and will lose part of their pay for two months.

Source: Herald Online

And the game was still painfully mediocre. Seriously, this is just kind of dickish.

Man this game is just not turning out well for anyone is it?

Tartarga:
Man this game is just not turning out well for anyone is it?

My thoughts exactly.

The amount of bad news around this game is simply shocking.

And I thought working with EA was punishment enough.

Maybe Super Rear Admiral Garry Bonelli (seriously, his title is huge, easily replaced with Super) just hates EA.

All kidding aside, ouch. Sucks for them, but they probably shouldn't have revealed stuff without permission in the first place.

To make it worse, it was all for naught, as the game apparently absolutely sucks. A shame.

That really sucks. I'm pretty sure the guys had good intentions - "Proceeds go to charity!" - but it really hurts when you are disciplined for helping a game that bombed itself. I wonder if future MOH games will get the same professional help.

Personally I feel that getting the professional help is an unfair gimmick to the pros themselves and the advertisment audience. I know one friend who got suckered into buying it because of the 'realistic' tag.

What's the point in punishing them for possibly giving away secrets to a game that few people played and that no one will remember in a year. It's not like anyone will figure out whats based on real stuff and whats just the mediocre brown military shooter.

Akimoto:
That really sucks. I'm pretty sure the guys had good intentions - "Proceeds go to charity!" - but it really hurts when you are disciplined for helping a game that bombed itself. I wonder if future MOH games will get the same professional help.

Personally I feel that getting the professional help is an unfair gimmick to the pros themselves and the advertisment audience. I know one friend who got suckered into buying it because of the 'realistic' tag.

I hope there is no future medal of honor series. I'd like it if someone could tell me what was the last stand out medal of honor title, because I can't remember any.

Scorpid:

Akimoto:

I hope there is no future medal of honor series. I'd like it if someone could tell me what was the last stand out medal of honor title, because I can't remember any.

Allied Assault, way back in 2002 or so. Can't really think of any others since. :P

OT: Wow, that sucks for them. The double whammy of the reprimand and the game just plain sucking must be especially painful. I hope that they learn from this. I hope that everyone learns from this. :P

I'm thinking, perhaps it was a better idea not to publicly admit that Warfighter might contain actual military secrets.

Andy Chalk:
"specially-designed combat equipment unique to their unit."

You don't mean the equipment that allows them to take multiple sniper rounds to the face but kills them if they step on cracks!

OH NOES!

Seriously they really should have gotten the green-light from superiors but hindsight is 20/20.

Wheather or not this spells the death knell for the MOH series

which apparently started the whole WW2 shooter genre believe it or not http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/criticalintel/10026-The-Medal-of-Honor-Curse

remains to be seen.

Classified information is serious business, if this is true, the SEALS in question are getting off light.

That said, looking at the game and the results I can't help but wonder what was leaked? Secret military door kicking techniques maybe? With Miracle Of Sound's video alone we could lose our Doorfighting advantage. :)

Wow if the abysmal sales of this game is not enough, now this?

EA just can't get a break.

PS I think this a punishment for the ending of Mass Effect 3.

I am pretty sure the secrets they gave away are ways to open doors

"Naval Special Warfare Command Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Garry Bonelli"

He must be a respected fellow to have a title that long.

BreakfastMan:

Allied Assault *snip*

Amen. The graphics sucked but by jove I was fighting a war as an unsung hero.

Scorpid:

I hope there is no future medal of honor series.

There will be until something major happens. Older gamers can see for what it is, but the younger gamers that are up and coming, like my brother, will be wowed by the graphics and artistic direction. To be fair, the corridor shooting is done really, really well but that's all it's got. It's like the most fatty, softest beef I ever ate, but it get's old after many iterations. By the time we realize what happened, the company has started making another game just like it to a younger audience.

Rinse and repeat.

Naval Special Warfare Command / Deputy Commander / Rear Admiral / Garry Bonelli
What the command is / His position within it / Rank / Name

Good thing the guy isn't the DCO of NORAD or something. That man has like 12 different hats

VeryOddGamer:
And the game was still painfully mediocre. Seriously, this is just kind of dickish.

It's military law. This kind of thing isn't special to the US military. When one serves in a military (which is done by choice in the US), he must adhere to strict laws and follow orders.
Developers hiring professionals to consult them about military methods and tactics isn't something new. The problem is that neither the developers or the SEALs that consulted them didn't go through the proper channels.

weirdguy:
I'm thinking, perhaps it was a better idea not to publicly admit that Warfighter might contain actual military secrets.

Whatever the secrets are they probably aren't that important otherwise those involved would have been whisked off to military prison without anyone being told.

Yawn... seriously.

Here's a thought - if the super secret SEAL team is so fucking super secret, how the hell do we get to know about members of said, super secret SEAL team being in trouble. If this was legit, we wouldn't hear a single word about it, EA wouldn't even hear about it, never mind their cock-handed marketting department.

Ohh wait, I wonder if this is some sort of marketting ploy... Now I have to go and buy Warfighter because it has genuine SEAL secrets and I am a retarded EA customer who believes that SEAL's who just got reprimanded for revealing secrets would go and talk to the press about it.

They must have divulged all the top secret door busting methods... :p

The secret is out: fighting in war isn't very fun.

from what i understand all that top secret highly advanced and special training alows them to breach doors and fall over and die for no particular reason if they dont make their make things go explody per hour quota.. wait did all the trailers lie to me?

"The trick is right, you get the people behind the desks to tell you where to go, and THEN! ...you taking this down? Right then you kick the door down and shoot the unarmed people in the head and face.....What? oh yeah I said 'Arf! Arf! motherfucker we're the Seals!' then I shot him. Oh yeah, what has 2 thumbs and gets free drinks and blowjobs for life? that's right you nerds!"

i think it is just a pr stunt. get this game before it gets banned by the goverment.
it is too realistic to be legal!

Heh, I like the idea of Chinese and Russian intelligence agencies playing the game to learn the US's secrets.

Let me guess the secret is that US forces consist mostly from supersoldiers?
Regenerating health, withstanding multiple sniper rounds in the face and slo-mo?
Or maybe that US soldiers are fighting opponents who barely can oppose?
Or maybe that door breaching is the key to the victory?

Man, that is some top secret information material here :)

Akimoto:

Lets pretend you're not talking about Shooters here and are in fact talking about racing games... How stupid would it sound if you were trying to say it was a gimmick that Gran Turismo or Forza hired consultants to make sure their cars performed realistically?

I'm not saying you're stupid or anything but I think it's a little unfair to pick on Warfighter for hiring consultants just because it's part of a genre that's taking brown and gritty a bit too far, when games from other genres do it all the time.

OT: Kinda sucks for them but to be fair you would have thought asking permission to divulge military secrets (no matter how small they are) would've been a priority...

Seems a dick move, but then again being in the service that long they'd know OPSEC, and what would constitute a breach.

The bigger picture is that the Bin Laden raid was to SEAL Six what the Iranian Embassy was to the SAS; It thrust a secretive group into the zeitgeist, and all of a sudden they have film/game/book makers desperate to cover them.

Ilikemilkshake:

Akimoto:

Lets pretend you're not talking about Shooters here and are in fact talking about racing games... How stupid would it sound if you were trying to say it was a gimmick that Gran Turismo or Forza hired consultants to make sure their cars performed realistically?

I'm not saying you're stupid or anything but I think it's a little unfair to pick on Warfighter for hiring consultants just because it's part of a genre that's taking brown and gritty a bit too far, when games from other genres do it all the time.

OT: Kinda sucks for them but to be fair you would have thought asking permission to divulge military secrets (no matter how small they are) would've been a priority...

Okay, let's. So, in a driving simulator, one could benefit from said professional consultation quite a bit given the use of a steering wheel and pedals, and this would result in a fun game. Why? Driving is fun. People race cars because it is fun.

Now let's apply this scenario to fighting in a military unit. Well obviously knowledge of how to properly use firearms is pointless since the only shooting games that use the gun equivalent to a steering wheel are rail shooters, and that's not we're talking about. So what's left then? Tactics? Well real tactics are decidedly less fun than action cinema ones. Regulations? Yeah, that's how I want to spend my weekend. Frankly, the only thing professional consultation could really contribute to the FPS genre is to tell people that you can't make a military FPS realistic without taking out most of the shooting.

Doors actually explode in slo-mo whenever they're touched. Every time you open your door to no explosion, it's a government coverup

surg3n:
Yawn... seriously.

Here's a thought - if the super secret SEAL team is so fucking super secret, how the hell do we get to know about members of said, super secret SEAL team being in trouble. If this was legit, we wouldn't hear a single word about it, EA wouldn't even hear about it, never mind their cock-handed marketting department.

Ohh wait, I wonder if this is some sort of marketting ploy... Now I have to go and buy Warfighter because it has genuine SEAL secrets and I am a retarded EA customer who believes that SEAL's who just got reprimanded for revealing secrets would go and talk to the press about it.

First off SEAL operators' identities aren't secret, and this was used to set an example to other active duty military personnel about sharing information without a superior's authorisation. Besides, it was their superior officer who spoke to the press not the operators themselves. A SEAL being reprimanded is kind of a bbig deal in military circles so something like this wouldn't stay quiet long.

Secondly this actually bad for EA. Any other consultants they might hire from now on are going to seal up their mouth and recheck everthing to assure this doesn't happen to them.

But whatever, go on with your over zealous hate rant toward EA. Just a stupid market stunt.

Scars Unseen:

Ilikemilkshake:

Akimoto:

Okay, let's. So, in a driving simulator, one could benefit from said professional consultation quite a bit given the use of a steering wheel and pedals, and this would result in a fun game. Why? Driving is fun. People race cars because it is fun.

Now let's apply this scenario to fighting in a military unit. Well obviously knowledge of how to properly use firearms is pointless since the only shooting games that use the gun equivalent to a steering wheel are rail shooters, and that's not we're talking about. So what's left then? Tactics? Well real tactics are decidedly less fun than action cinema ones. Regulations? Yeah, that's how I want to spend my weekend. Frankly, the only thing professional consultation could really contribute to the FPS genre is to tell people that you can't make a military FPS realistic without taking out most of the shooting.

Are you kidding? Realism in a game doesn't come from using gun or steering wheel peripherals.

I'm talking about the guns/cars performing as they do in relation to shooting/driving characteristics but I imagine they would of hired gun experts or just went to a firing range for this.

I haven't played the game so I can't talk about Warfighter specifically but there's plenty else they can contribute though... Tactics and Regulations are absolutely something they ca n contribute here.. They're not making a "realistic" game in the true sense, how can you when you regenerate health? No, they're making a game with "authenticity"

Remember the AC130 Gunship mission in COD4?

It's heavily stooped in Regulation. You're not allowed to fire for the first minute until you've sighted friendlies marked by a strobe, until you've sighted the hostiles and taken note of a church that you're not allowed to fire upon because of your rules of engagement.. only then are you given permission to fire.

There's also all of the jargon and chatter in the background and the actual functionality of the gunship... all of that's being used to give you an authentic feel of actually being in an AC130.

If they didn't care about authenticity then I imagine they would have just let you sit and shoot at stuff for 10 minutes without providing any context. So if they didn't consult somebody about that then well done to Infinity Ward for somehow guessing what it's like to be part of a gunship crew...

The basic point i'm getting at is (in regards to FPS games) consulting real military personnel isn't to make the game realistic, it's to make sure what you're doing in the game is given a plausible context.

EDIT: sorry captcha fail caused me to double post :(

Well it's a good job no one played it otherwise people might learn the secrets!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here