Warfighter Work Lands SEALs in Hot Water

Pages PREV 1 2

Got a buddy in the Marines. He's just an aircraft mechanic, but when he finds out about this I'd bed he won't be to happy. Or he won't care at all, cause it's a video game.

I don't know why people haven't just come out and said it already.

WARFIGHTER WAS SO BAD THE CONSULTANTS ARE CLOSE TO LOSING THEIR JOBS!!!

There, I feel better now.

I don't think they revealed any "secrets" while making the game. It's pretty much delusional to think that the information floating out there not out there. But they were probably not really reprimanded for their special door breaching maneuvers. I know one of the biggest concerns domestically for the military is there appearance (that is socially, of course). I think they would not have been reprimanded if the game turned out good. I think they were reprimanded, at least in part, for consulting on a game that turned out really really bad.

Dan Ariely speaks pretty strait forward when explaining the situation in terms of the two worlds we live in, as he puts it. We live in a world of Social Norms and Economic Norms. Police, military and firefighters do not do the jobs they do for the economic payoff, but for the social payoff. No one would put their life on the line for the money they make. But this situation hurts the image of the NAVY, which hurts them on a social norm level, the reason they do what they do. But, the punishment is an drawn from Economic Norms, which is utterly fascinating. That says to me they are not really punished at all. Listen to the accusation: they themselves consulted classified documents when they were consulting for the game. And actual punishment of revealing state secrets could be permanent imprisonment or even death. And they got half a months pay cut. You would think that a real punishment for this would be minimum, dishonorable discharge, which would actual be a punishment that fits with the Social/Economic Norm dichotomy.

If you have read this, I pat you on the back for listening to mental rambling.

dumbseizure:
I don't know why people haven't just come out and said it already.

WARFIGHTER WAS SO BAD THE CONSULTANTS ARE CLOSE TO LOSING THEIR JOBS!!!

There, I feel better now.

Oh, I DID I DID! LoL.

"we are and will be held to a high standard of accountability."

Except when killing civilians of course.

God bless the US fucking military.

Ilikemilkshake:
*snip*

You do have a valid point. I guess I was unfairly comparing MOH and ARMA 2/VBS 2.

Thinking about it further, it' more likely a frustration I get when talking to my younger friends and discussing the news with my parents. The prevailing assumption seems to be that since these games i.e COD, MOH, are marketed as being realistic than playing more of these games equals training in combat. It's not, and I can go on and on, but that will make me a grumpy old guy. =)

If EA and the like were to take your advice and market it as authentic instead, than it would not be such a bug bear for me.

BreakfastMan:

Scorpid:

Akimoto:
That really sucks. I'm pretty sure the guys had good intentions - "Proceeds go to charity!" - but it really hurts when you are disciplined for helping a game that bombed itself. I wonder if future MOH games will get the same professional help.

Personally I feel that getting the professional help is an unfair gimmick to the pros themselves and the advertisment audience. I know one friend who got suckered into buying it because of the 'realistic' tag.

I hope there is no future medal of honor series. I'd like it if someone could tell me what was the last stand out medal of honor title, because I can't remember any.

Allied Assault, way back in 2002 or so. Can't really think of any others since. :P

OT: Wow, that sucks for them. The double whammy of the reprimand and the game just plain sucking must be especially painful. I hope that they learn from this. I hope that everyone learns from this. :P

Would be awesome if they returned to the WWII setting.

I mean a MoH E-Company would be nice, where you play as one Eugene Roe (meaning no guns and your objective is to run around making sure your "friends" survive in let's say the forests around Bastogne).

I mean that'd be a whole new take on warfare games. To be a medic having to manage your sparce supplies.

Akimoto:

Ilikemilkshake:
*snip*

You do have a valid point. I guess I was unfairly comparing MOH and ARMA 2/VBS 2.

Thinking about it further, it' more likely a frustration I get when talking to my younger friends and discussing the news with my parents. The prevailing assumption seems to be that since these games i.e COD, MOH, are marketed as being realistic than playing more of these games equals training in combat. It's not, and I can go on and on, but that will make me a grumpy old guy. =)

If EA and the like were to take your advice and market it as authentic instead, than it would not be such a bug bear for me.

Well that's the problem with marketing... Buzzthings like realisism sell games even if the game is laughably unrealistic. Even Authenticity might not be good enough... Plausibility maybe? But good luck trying to market MOH: Plausibly Shoot Towelheads (although tbh that almost sounds better than Warfighter -.-)

Also as for the much laughed at door kicking mechanic the game is in love with, i'm willing to bet someone got that idea from one of the consultants telling a cool door breaching story.

I didn't know kicking doors was highly classified within the Navy SEALS.

Sad to see them get fired over this piece of shit game :/

Military types take stuff way too seriously! It's not like they handed over footage of all the training drills and kit specs. They probably said "actually we stand on the right side during a breach".

As others have mentioned, what the fuck is up with that title? Would "cunt" be quicker to say? I joke, I joke, he had to kiss a lot of ass to get that title.

America's secret weapon; Dudebro beards. Keeping America safe from nerds since 2001.

I know Neogaf is basically a writhing cesspit of incestuous whining and slightly fetishized Nintendo fanboyism but their invention of "Dudebro" seemed oddly prophetic of the new 'Medal of Honor' series. The macho bullshit, the beards, the noble shouting and odd rambing of patriotic testosterone nonsenses. It's like a steroid induced fever dream of warfare.

Medal of Honor is here to ask you a simple but profound question; "Bro. Do you even lift?"

There are two possible scenarios as far as I can see:

1) They released classified information but almost no one would have noticed because everything would likely have been written off as EA being unrealistic or reaching. Except that the US high command went around telling everyone that classified information was released, thus highlighting that fact so that everyone could go ahead and actually look into the game as a credible intelligence source. In this scenario high command is incompetent and helped those who might wish to militarily oppose the US.

2) They could have not released classified information at all. Those involved with making Warfighter told EA nothing credible or true. Then high command lied about disciplinary measures, and about the information leak in order to basically lie to people about US military capabilities. In this scenario they are disingenuous and manipulative but not stupid.

Well, sucks to be them. But they should honestly know better. They, of all people, should know that that the amount of intelligence the enemy has on you is often the difference between a ride home in a jet, or a body bag.

This is simply political posturing. If those SEALS had ACTUALLY released confidential/secret information, they would lose more than a month's pay and a page 11.

Absolutely insulting that the Navy high command decided that "making an example of" some SEALS because they did some side work was a good idea.

Reminds me of why I got out when I did.

Akratus:
"Naval Special Warfare Command Deputy Commander Rear Admiral Garry Bonelli"

He must be a respected fellow to have a title that long.

That's just a really long name for 2nd in command of the SEALs.

Great. Just wait till Fox News gets ahold of this and we'll get another wave of videogame controversy. Military simulator teaches your children navy secrets? I'm surprised it's not in the headlines already...

I completely agree with Super Power Ninja Turbo Neo Ultra Hyper Mega Multi Alpha Meta Extra Uber Prefix Garry Bonelli.

If you're in the military, especially in a unit as advanced as the SEALs, it might not exactly be a good idea to divulge military tactics to anyone.

Akratus:

They should just shorten it to "ULTRA MECHA SUPER REAR ADMIRAL BONELLIRUUUU".

Oh Japan.

I wouldn't mind them getting in hot water over some true, necessary leaking intended to, say, prevent damage to the navy, the nation of US, humanity or mankind in general.

Or, say, some extracurricular work on a really, really good game (or movie). Melonfarm wages, melonfarm codes, if you're part of something cool, and you don't endanger yourself, your buddies or anyone else - go for it.

Losing money and getting spanked over Warfighter is... a really shitty place.

(jk) Let's hope the published steps in and keeps its bitches warm and cuddly. (/jk)

Semper Fi, folks. Semper Fi. Don't you be whorin' to them sneaky suits and digital folks.

Holy crap. I'm pretty sure Warfighter is now officially under a gypsy curse.

Their CO is definitely a CoD guy.

Akratus:

IIRC, technically only "Deputy Commander" is his title. "Rear Admiral" is his rank, and "Naval Special Warfare Command" is his department, IIRC. It's like calling, say, Master Chief "United Nations Space Command Office of Naval Intelligence SPARTAN-II Master Chief Petty Officer John-117".

DataSnake:

Akratus:

IIRC, technically only "Deputy Commander" is his title. "Rear Admiral" is his rank, and "Naval Special Warfare Command" is his department, IIRC. It's like calling, say, Master Chief "United Nations Space Command Office of Naval Intelligence SPARTAN-II Master Chief Petty Officer John-117".

When I made the post the thought crossed my mind that maybe that's not his title, but just awkward construction of a sentence. Maybe they meant it in the same way someone would write 'High school Student Band Member Johny.'

When I heard the game bombed, that was actually my main worry. The poor SEALs who put their job on the line because someone promised them they would make an epic game and they'd be famous (In their own way) because of it.

I didn't know the info revealed was supposed to be THAT secret but still. I feel sorry for them.

(Out of topic: GTFO with your Dishonored ads covering 1/4 of the bottom of my browser page! And screw you for hiding the close button unless my window is bigger than a specific size! And for making the close button so small so that I click on the ad by accident! I love the game but don't push it! UGH!)

Aw man, you shouldn't put seals in hot water. Those cute lil' muffins are more than capable of dealing with low temperatures thanks to a thick layer of fat and a good coat of fur. Putting them in hot water is just cruel.

Wait...are people implying that the SEALS are somewhat to blame for that shitty game getting a low score?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here