Pitt Takes Charge in World War Z Trailer

Pitt Takes Charge in World War Z Trailer

Brad Pitt puts on his best 'reluctant hero' face as he goes out to save World War Z from running zombies.

A new trailer is out for World War Z, the movie based on Max Brooks' zombie apocalypse novel of the same name, and it's pretty clear who's the hero of this picture: Brad Pitt, in his best gee-I-don't-wanna-but-okay mode. Clearly being separated from his family is a bit of a wrench, but thank goodness he's around, otherwise we'd all be zombie burgers.

Brooks' novel was adapted by Damon Lindelof (Cowboys vs Aliens, Lost), and Matthew Michael Carnahan (The Kingdom, Lions for Lambs), both of whom were brought on board to replace J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5). Pitt is pretty much the only cast member most people in the audience are going to know by name; the rest are more along the lines of "I know that face! What was the thing he was in?"

Pitt plays a UN employee with unnamed - at least in the trailer - special skills. The original script had him as an interviewer hopping from point to point and talking to survivors; the trailer focuses on Pitt's action scenes.

Clearly it's selling itself as a gung-ho guns blazing flick now. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to the audience, who'll get to see the finished product in summer 2013. At one point Pitt and company were talking about turning World War Z into a trilogy in the end-times style of The Walking Dead, but presumably they'll wait and see how the first one takes off before committing themselves to a franchise.

Source: Screenrant

Am i the only one who thought of Pitt the angel first?
The title of this article really perplexed me.

Wait? They're going to turn WWZ into a generic action flick? I'm not going to call 'RUINED FOREVER' or any of this, since it could still be a good movie, but if it tries to focus on the action it'll won't be a World War Z adaptation in anything other than name.

Seeing Zombies climb each other like fire ants is oddly hilarious.

Also, I'll be glad when movie trailers get over using the BAAAAAAAAW sound effect and go back to using real music.

You be doing one thang, and one thang only
killin zombies.

You know it might be worth a night in jail if I ever met Damon Lindelof, and Matthew Michael Carnahan to put a size 13 boot right into their crotches.

They filmed parts of this in my city! I can't remember why they came all the way over to glasgow but they did and that red-ish sqaure you see in the overhead shots was shut off for like a week or two [ which is really annoying as its a major part of the traffic flow through the centre of town].

OT: Looks sorta daft, the CGI on the zombies looked kinda crappy.

"Isn't it amazing how England looks in no way like Southern California?"

Replace England with Glasgow.

The whole thing looks more like Left 4 Dead: The Movie to me than a decent representation of what occurred in the book. I half expected someone to yell out "TANK!" and throw a molotov in the trailer.

I'm confused.....did Max Brooks endorse fast zombies?

What a piece of shit. Did they even read the book?

I was actually expecting more nerd-rage and more the-book-was-better people. I'm proud of you Escapist for the lack of knee-jerk reactions.

Either way, it looks fairly generic, but well-done. At least it will appeal to action-movie fans rather than the common misanthropic crowd that watches zombie movies out of some revenge fantasy because they don't fit in with society in real life.

Well, I'll be seeing this just for the Battle of Yonkers, at least they can't screw that up.
Though, if you just replace the zombie horde wave with volcanic eruption/earthquake/tornado it just looks like 2012 all over again. Running from the zombie horde wave, driving from the zombie horde wave, flying from the zombie horde wave, sailing from the zombie horde wave. Yeahh... anything sound familiar?

At least the trailer prepares me for disappointment early.

What is with all these games ending in Z? Guess people are trying to lure in the Day Z crowds in.

Awhile back I think I remember reading that both Brad Pitt's and Leonardo DiCaprio's production companies wanted WWZ... now that I've seen the trailer with Pitt I get to speculate who I would have preferred to see it go to.

I hate this and everything it stands for. The book was superamazballs and this looks like someone shat on the book, set it on fire and filmed the entire thing. Makes me sad since it could be an amazing adaptation.

Soviet Heavy:
Seeing Zombies climb each other like fire ants is oddly hilarious.

Also, I'll be glad when movie trailers get over using the BAAAAAAAAW sound effect and go back to using real music.

Actually, the idea of zombie-swarm-pile-up-scales-wall was brought up in Zombie Survival Guide, if I recall. This makes me rather hopeful for this movie. Even if they go actiony (which the trailer might be playing up; that happens), enough details pulled from the source material could save it

Oh great, another movie with the Inception "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!"

I really hate trailers these days that use that bloody noise.

I mean really, I kinda now miss trailers that used Lux Aeterna all the time, or Don LaFontaine.

On the one hand this might still be an ok movie. It's interesting to see a zombie thing taking a very large scale war-zone approach to the outbreak rather then just following a few scattered survivors after everything's already gone to shit, and that could be fun enough to make it worth while if they do a good enough job.

On the other hand, they've undeniably missed a massive opportunity to make something much more unique and fascinating. Instead of a traditional movie, they should have made a full on documentary that simply happens to be about events that never took place. It would have been much more in line with the book and much cooler then yet another battle for survival.

I can't help but feel like, if they aren't gonna do that, what's the point of making this at all?

Absolutionis:
I was actually expecting more nerd-rage and more the-book-was-better people. I'm proud of you Escapist for the lack of knee-jerk reactions.

The reason is because there is no comparison, its not like Wanted where they kinda used parts of the graphic novel but redid most of it and made it a lot more shitty.

For World War Z it is like comparing a really nice fresh juicy apple to a 4 week old rotting loaf of bread.

Sure they are both food (media) but beyond that they have very little in common.

This seems more like a sequel to 28 weeks later

I'm a bit disappointing because i was rather looking forward to a mock-umentary style movie about the zombie apocalypse. I loved the book but i would have preferred if they released this movie under an original name, and then make a proper adaptation instead of this.

Um... umm... this um... this is... erm... sigh.

Okay I like Pitt, and that trailer honestly wasn't too bad. But
a) This looks nothing like WWZ
b) The original script seemed way better
and c) everyone involved in this I fucking hate, HATE with the passion of a million foreman grills cos they either made something shit or fucked up something I like.

You know I wouldn't mind this premise if it wasn't for the fact that the material it's based off of doesn't reflect this. If World War Z was about anything (It's got lots of themes going) its that the military were bumbling morons completely unprepared and unwilling to cope with a changing battlefield on their own, and that the ultimate success was nimble bureaucracies bringing together the talent, resources and just enough cold hearted calculations to save us. Not fly by the seat of our pants action material really.

EDIT: Well PERHAPS on reflection IF this just focuses on the opening months of World War Z, which was indeed filled with a military scrambling and failing in trying to save everyone through sheer force and it ends on that note then it could still be related to the material. Perhaps a 2nd could deal with the later stages of survival and the 3rd the rise of the bureaucracies that turned the war in a slow methodical war of math. Only then would we have a series that feels like it relates to World War Z

ciancon:

Why does every zombie movie these days need to have fast zombies in it? The film looks like it is going to go a completely different route from the book too.

World War Z spoilers

Bat Vader:

ciancon:

Why does every zombie movie these days need to have fast zombies in it? The film looks like it is going to go a completely different route from the book too.

World War Z spoilers

Yeah, i've read it too. That's exactly why i'm so confused!

Ragdoll Physics, The Movie.

Hopefully it's good. Ragdolls make me giggle so it's coming out of the gate strong.

Also to the people complaining (already) maybe the book was just a point to build from and this isn't intended to be an exact replica of the story in the book. Not everything has to be a copy you know.

The movie looks like it will be good. I'd watch it. Having said that, I've also never been more disappointed with a book to movie conversion- what made World War Z such an interesting work of literature was it's focus on the human condition, and how the end of the world would warp it. Instead, it looks like any Spec Ops movie crossed with Zombieland, sans the great special effects! Let's hope they can prove that it's anything but before the movie drops next Spring.

I'm trying to divorce my thoughts about this trailer from my love for the novel. It's obvious the people who are behind this movie care nothing about the novel. They just bought the rights so they could ride the established nerd hype train (not that it's huge or anything, so why bother...). If you look at it from a WWZ fan perspective, the trailer is pure garbage. It has exactly nothing to do with the novel. Even the zombies are changed beyond recognition.

So here's my question:

Why not rebrand the movie? I don't understand why they had to stick with the "World War Z" brand when it CLEARLY has nothing to with the novel anymore.

I cant stop laughing at that fucking mosh pit....xD

The first time i saw this trailer, i laughed like 5 minutes at....sigh....ZOMBIE MOSH PITT! oh god this is so stupid...silly funny stupid xD

jp201:
What is with all these games ending in Z? Guess people are trying to lure in the Day Z crowds in.

World War Z came out in 2006 and is a book not a game.

Sigh, how did they make such an epic fail? I guess hollywood can ruin anything, all they need to do now is bring Michael Bay in to direct it...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here