Blizzard Sued Over Battle.net Authenticators

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Since Blizzard's servers have been hacked several times and information was stolen, with absolutely no way to prevent compromise other than having an authenticator, there /might/ be a case. Normally, I'd say Blizzard's lawyers are expensive enough to make it go away, but some crotchety old judges hate video games. Get the right one and perhaps the suit won't be laughed out of the courtroom.

And no, the fact that there's a free app available for (smart)phones doesn't excuse Blizzard not securing their servers; it's pure laziness that they would rather their customers do their job for them, with the added slap in the face that they have to pay to do it. Some people hate (smart)phones. I'm one of them.

Baldr:
Battle.net is free. Mobile and landline phone authenticators are free. However, here the kicker: World of Warcraft features are not fully functional without an authenticator. The list of these things is tiny and only require for extra security stuff like guild vaults. The suit is wrong though.

Not even that. I don't have an Authenticator and I found no limitations in-game.

OT: This lawsuit is completely idiotic. Blizzard tells it's customers that they only way to garuntee safety from hacked accounts is your Authenticator, which generates a random code tied to the serial of the device on your account. It's a second security gate in case of keyloggers that steal your password.

These people had their accounts hacked, and now they want to blame Blizzard because they couldn't keep their account safe. Sucks to be them, and I have absolutely no sympathy for them. I hope they get their asses handed to them by Activision's lawyers in court.

Bhaalspawn:

These people had their accounts hacked, and now they want to blame Blizzard because they couldn't keep their account safe.

Any company that holds personal information on someone has a legal duty to keep it secure, any bullshit about "oh you have to buy an authenticator" is irrelevant and doesn't change their legal responsibilities as a company.

Olikar:

Bhaalspawn:

These people had their accounts hacked, and now they want to blame Blizzard because they couldn't keep their account safe.

Any company that holds personal information on someone has a legal duty to keep it secure, any bullshit about "oh you have to buy an authenticator" is irrelevant and doesn't change their legal responsibilities as a company.

Except nobody has to buy an authenticator. Blizzard just suggest it because accounts get hacked in a manner they can't control. They get hacked because someone downloads a keylogger onto their computer, and it records their key input, and transmits it to a hacker. Nobody touches Blizzard's systems when this happens. So the only thing they can actually do is suggest that you attach an authenticator.

And the only one you have to actually buy is the physical one, which is 6 dollars. I'm guessing that pays for manufacturing and shipping. The one you can get on your phone is free.

They keep your info secure. But the account holder has to keep their info secure as well. If someone takes my bank card and finds out my PIN to spend all my money, I can't go screaming to my bank when they had no control over it. Especially if I didn't report my card stolen.

Now they do record the IP Address that you use to log in, but how do they intervene when a different IP than usual enters your account? Ask for security questions? Great, but those can be recorded in the same way. Do an e-mail conformation? Well, Steam and Guild Wars 2 do that, and it's a highly annoying mess on the end of the player. Ask for a randomly generated code on a device that's on your person at all times and only usable for 60 seconds per code? Nearly impenetrable.

As I said before: Blizzard keeps your info secure. But the player has to keep their info secure as well.

Ranorak:

RicoADF:

Ranorak:

1) they were hacked, ONCE, no info was stolen and no accounts were compromised.

2)It's not the official blizzard sites that get targeted, it's fan-sites (HUUUUGE popular fan-sites like WoWhead and Wowwiki)

3)You mean like the free one for phones, yeah real greedy.
Or you mean the one that costs 10 euro, with a free in-game pet. Where all costs goes directly to the authenticator's producer and none to blizzard, again, real greedy.

If their going to require online accounts for games like star craft and Diablo then they should be required to provide an authenticator (especially when a lot of us just want to play SP/LAN MP. I don't care about WoW but since there's an issue once again they should provide the authenticator for free to those without smart phones. They make enough, regardless of weather they make money off the authenticator, they do make money off the game and thus they should provide the extra security for those without smart phones.

Why?

I feel like a broken record for saying this, but it's not blizzard's fault.
In the end, a bank is guarding REAL money, not fake in-game gold.
In your Blizzard account gets hacked, you're annoyed, if your bank account gets "hacked" you're possibly screwed for life.

I don't see why an entertainment company has to hand out free stuff, just because most users give away their security details?

Could they? Yes, probably. They'd make a small loss every time they do.
Should they? No, Blizzard already does enough Charity and is in no way obligated to protect people who can't protect them selves.

As I edited in the post above yours that you may not have seen if you started quoting before the edit

"edit: note it doesn't have to be a physical one like what they have, an email based one like steam but sent on every login would work too."

So theres no reason it has to cost anything, if steam can do it blizzard can.

RicoADF:

As I edited in the post above yours that you may not have seen if you started quoting before the edit

"edit: note it doesn't have to be a physical one like what they have, an email based one like steam but sent on every login would work too."

"The Battle.net Mobile Authenticator is an optional tool that offers Battle.net account users an additional layer of security to help prevent unauthorized account access. This includes World of Warcraft players who log in to the game using a Battle.net account. The authenticator application is a small program that you install and access on your cell phone or mobile device."
For FREE!

Besides, e-mails get hacked as well, the plus side of the (physical) authenticator is that it's NOT online. It generates a set of 6 numbers with some underlying algorithm, that checks against it's serial number, the serial number that is bound to the account, and time.

It would be rather pointless to have Steam's e-mail service, because if it can get your WoW password from YOUR pc, it can get your email too.

Ranorak:

RicoADF:

"The Battle.net Mobile Authenticator is an optional tool that offers Battle.net account users an additional layer of security to help prevent unauthorized account access. This includes World of Warcraft players who log in to the game using a Battle.net account. The authenticator application is a small program that you install and access on your cell phone or mobile device."
For FREE!

Besides, e-mails get hacked as well, the plus side of the (physical) authenticator is that it's NOT online. It generates a set of 6 numbers with some underlying algorithm, that checks against it's serial number, the serial number that is bound to the account, and time.

It would be rather pointless to have Steam's e-mail service, because if it can get your WoW password from YOUR pc, it can get your email too.

Which is why I use my phone, but as I said the option should be there for people to chose. You don't seem to understand that its about having a free option for everyone that plays the game, weather they have a smart phone or not.

Update: I guess I can't play Blizzard games anymore because apparently the authenticator is now required? Yet I don't have an appropriate mobile device and I refuse to pay extra for this add-on.

What is the latest and what changed in 2013?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here