Updated: McAfee AntiVirus Founder Wanted for Murder

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

McAfee saw the police approaching his property, he quickly buried himself in sand, placing a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe.

What? I mean... what? How is that even possible? How do you quickly bury yourself in sand and then place a box over your head? No, I don't suppose a cardboard box next to a shovel (assuming he used one) on the beach is suspicious at all.

I just cannot shake the feeling he looked something like this:

... while the imaginary thugs came and poisoned his dogs.

Mr.Tea:

vrbtny:
This.... this dude is utterly bizzare.

Are you sure this is all legit?.... because this sounds like some future HBO story about some computer nerd going rouge and fighting the drug war in his own unique way....

seriously, this guy's tale is just bizarre.

Rogue.

Rogue.

Rogue.

Rogue.

Why can no one spell this word right??

Do you mean Rouge?

OT: Don't know about the guy, but McAfee is shit.

He buried himself in sand to elude the police? Is this guy a freaking secret agent or something?

I was reserving judgement until I saw the update.
Upon seeing the update; that dude is crazy.

Baldr:

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Stop benig a spelling/tpyo Nzai.

As for McAfee, ate one to many Jungle flowers.

Go on, honestly how long did it take you to write that?

Fanghawk:

UPDATE: According to Wired, McAfee is hiding from the authorities while proclaiming his innocence. The article explains that when McAfee saw the police approaching his property, he quickly buried himself in sand, placing a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe. "It was extraordinarily uncomfortable," he said, "But they will kill me if they find me."

McAfee claims that he knows nothing about the shooting, and that his position as prime suspect is due to a government vendetta against him. McAfee also claims that the authorities poisoned his guard dogs. "The coast guard dropped off a contingent of black-suited thugs at 10:30 tonight at the dock next door," McAfee said, "They dispersed on the beach. A half hour later all of my dogs had been poisoned. Mellow, Lucky, Dipsy, and Guerrero have already died."

Belize's Gang Suppression Unit denies any attempt to poison McAfee's guard dogs. "This guy amazes me every day," unit head Marco Vidal said. "We don't have anything personal against Mr. McAfee. There is no need for us to poison dogs."

What the fuck? I honestly can't tell if this is written as a joke or if McAfee is just completely insane.

flaming_squirrel:

Baldr:

Aoccdrnig to rseerach at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Stop benig a spelling/tpyo Nzai.

Dunno but just about every piece of information in that jibberish is a lie.

There was no study, and it isn't because we read words as a whole. It's because they are using sentences with strong contextual cues and common words.

You can easily generate sentences of jibberish like above that few if anyone could translate quickly.

I'm quite lost for words, this article sounds way to crazy to be true.
I guess every once in a blue moon, life can pull off something like McAfee burying himself in sand to hide from the police, as well as be on the run claiming thugs poisoned his dogs.

Also why would he, the founder, decide it'd be best to start a drug deal? He could be making more by updating and working with his anti virus company but now it's basically to late.. he's a wanted criminal, perhaps the most interesting one yet.

I'm sorry but I have to do it

Looks like this virus

*puts on sunglasses*

...is on quarantine
http://cow.org/csi/

Captcha: plugged nickel

NOW YOU ARE MAKING JUST AS MUCH SENSE AS THIS GUY!

He sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic, but I am not no doctor. I also feel more sorry for Greg Faull for, you know, getting shot in the head, killed and robbed.

theultimateend:

flaming_squirrel:

Baldr:

There was no study, and it isn't because we read words as a whole. It's because they are using sentences with strong contextual cues and common words.

You can easily generate sentences of jibberish like above that few if anyone could translate quickly.

I read through it with no issues, I'd say there's more to it then you think.

OT: while Mc Afee sounds like he's nuts, the authorities in the area are known to be corrupt and the story is plausable, abiet doubtful/unlikely. We probably will never know the true story.

Jack Rascal:

McAfee saw the police approaching his property, he quickly buried himself in sand, placing a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe.

What? I mean... what? How is that even possible? How do you quickly bury yourself in sand and then place a box over your head? No, I don't suppose a cardboard box next to a shovel (assuming he used one) on the beach is suspicious at all.

I just cannot shake the feeling he looked something like this:

... while the imaginary thugs came and poisoned his dogs.

Well, South American governments do tend to have "death squads." But those squads are normally used against rebels, spies, activists, and subversive elements.

Not for a rich white dude sitting in his mansion.

Even if they did want him gone, they wouldn't have poisoned his dogs. They would have kicked down his door, shot him, and set his house on fire. He wouldn't even see them coming.

Either way, he is crazy.

This is possibly the best reason for a company name change ever.

Wow... this is...
This is really bizzare.

He'd seen them coming, and says he hid - burying himself in the sand with a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe

Seriously, what the Hell? This sounds like a pilot episode for a TV series.

This guy definitely sounds like a nut, but I feel more sad for the dogs of this guy above anything.

Mr.Tea:

vrbtny:

Are you sure this is all legit?.... because this sounds like some future HBO story about some computer nerd going rouge and fighting the drug war in his own unique way....

Rogue.

Rogue.

Rogue.

Rogue.

because red sounds nice in french.

OT:strange story. why go through all that trouble when you have 100 million dollars? I would just chill and do fun stuff...

Jeez, looks like one of the conspiracy nuts did go insane.

I feel bad for him, but seriously, someone needs to put this guy down or lock him up. Nuts like him with a loaded weapon are a danger to all of us.

Solo-Wing:
Well Mcafee stock is about to drop. even if they are not associated with the dude anymore.

Cool, I'll snap it up, because nothing to do with the company has been affected and the product still works fine. Time to go make a mint.

Iron Criterion:
Another victim McAfee has claimed, following the death of my laptop.

McAfee downloaded all those things by itself, eh?

vansau:
This isn't the first time this guy has run afoul of the Brazilian authorities. About six months ago, he wound up going on the run after police raided his house. http://www.alltechienews.com/posts/poor-john-mcafee-belize-police-arrested-the-antivirus-icon-and-killed-his-dog

Belizean authorities, you mean.

I honestly don't think the guy did it. Why the fuck would he steal the laptop and the iPod? It's not like he's fucking starving, for Christ's sake. And it does seem like the police has a hard-on for him. Deserved or not, but they do.

Isn't "oh, they had a fight the other day, must be the killer" incredibly shoddy reasoning in a murder investigation?

albino boo:

DVS BSTrD:
So is Russia going to ban McAfee now?

McAfee is effectivity banned in Russia already, Kaspersky is the official Russian AV product. That might be something to do with the former CEO and current major shareholder of Kaspersky being a supporter of Putin and in particular supporting internet censorship.

Excuse me, but what the living fuck are you talking about? You can get whatever antivirus you want in Russia. It's not 1937 anymore, you know. Also, gulags haven't existed for the last fifty years, either.

He may very well be innocent, and having this compounded with his clear paranoia problems makes him pretty worthy of sympathy, in my opinion.

He's crazy, absolutely, but that in no way makes him a murderer, and we shouldn't assume his guilt when there is, at least as far as the article goes, no actual evidence of wrongdoing.

This is something that many people have a hard time with: Put yourself in his shoes as if you were innocent but were the prime suspect. Now picture yourself already being a bit nuts.

Fanghawk:

UPDATE: According to Wired, McAfee is hiding from the authorities while proclaiming his innocence. The article explains that when McAfee saw the police approaching his property, he quickly buried himself in sand, placing a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe. "It was extraordinarily uncomfortable," he said, "But they will kill me if they find me."

McAfee claims that he knows nothing about the shooting, and that his position as prime suspect is due to a government vendetta against him. McAfee also claims that the authorities poisoned his guard dogs. "The coast guard dropped off a contingent of black-suited thugs at 10:30 tonight at the dock next door," McAfee said, "They dispersed on the beach. A half hour later all of my dogs had been poisoned. Mellow, Lucky, Dipsy, and Guerrero have already died."

well......ninja'd. literally.

How is this story managing to become even crazier?

Just realized something: it's basically Heart of Darkness! Except the locals hate McAfee instead of worship him.

Ultratwinkie:
Well, South American governments do tend to have "death squads." But those squads are normally used against rebels, spies, activists, and subversive elements.

I would say American, quite sure Mexico and USA have better death squads that your average South American country.

The only countries that might have not are Costa Rica and Canada due being hippies, Panama due relying on USA for their internal and external security needs and Haiti because financial issues.

Dude is crazy, but in all likelihood, they probably did poison his guard dogs.

Tanakh:

Ultratwinkie:

I would say American, quite sure Mexico and USA have better death squads that your average South American country.

The only countries that might have not are Costa Rica and Canada due being hippies, Panama due relying on USA for their internal and external security needs and Haiti because financial issues.

That depends, South American countries have long histories of death squads. They are often brutal, and some have the same training as American forces.

America hasn't used Death Squads in a while. They use drones now, which is military. Death squads in their normal form is obsolete.

Mexico is even worse, they take brutality to a whole new level. America just uses drones, they don't go out of their way to make someone suffer and then hang the mutilated body in public to serve as an example. Those death squads are even good enough to do assassinations on American officials with security.

Which my point stands, Latin death squads wouldn't be fooled. They would have found him all the same.

Dogs? They aren't scared of dogs, no matter how many you have.

House security? They have military grade explosives and training. They will be long gone before the cops get there. They don't even need a key.

Guns? Any peashooter you manage to get will be outclassed by the military guns those squads have.

If a South American country wanted him dead, he wouldn't even have time to prepare. He'd be dead by the next morning.

Baldr:

Mr.Tea:

vrbtny:

Rogue.

Rogue.

Rogue.

Rogue.

You jsut prveod tihs tehroy cecrrot, sir. I raed taht wtih aseolutbly no pmrbloes.

RicoADF:

theultimateend:

flaming_squirrel:

I read through it with no issues, I'd say there's more to it then you think.

OT: while Mc Afee sounds like he's nuts, the authorities in the area are known to be corrupt and the story is plausable, abiet doubtful/unlikely. We probably will never know the true story.

And yet you had trouble reading my sentences...peculiar.

It's because they are using sentences with strong contextual cues and common words.

http://scienceavenger.blogspot.com/2007/12/cambridge-word-scramble-study-its-fake.html

"Bblaaesl pryleas pnmrrioefg sllaimy aeoulltsby dvrseee clbrpmaaoe tteenmrat." Being their quick example. You could make hundreds, if not thousands, of simple short lines that would be equally difficult.

What's important to note is that his dogs are all dead.

Whether or not they actually did do it, somebody did. I don't think it makes him a crazy person to just happen to be paranoid when coincidentally he becomes the prime suspect for somebody's murder very soon after.

Assuming he's innocent and that he's afraid for his life as a result of all the recent events, isn't his reaction reasonable?

Fanghawk:

Im sorry, but this is probably the most funny thing i read today. "shit, they are onto me, better bury myself in that sand!"
What is he, an ostrich?

This is crazy, even by my standards!

ResonanceSD:

Solo-Wing:
Well Mcafee stock is about to drop. even if they are not associated with the dude anymore.

Cool, I'll snap it up, because nothing to do with the company has been affected and the product still works fine. Time to go make a mint.

Iron Criterion:
Another victim McAfee has claimed, following the death of my laptop.

McAfee downloaded all those things by itself, eh?

Nice try, but I don't illegally download anything.

Ultratwinkie:
-snip-

I think we have a different definition of what a death squad is. I am using more or less using the wikipedia one:
"A death squad is an armed military, police, insurgent, or terrorist squad that conducts extrajudicial killings, assassinations, and forced disappearances of persons as part of a war, insurgency or terror campaign. These killings are often conducted in ways meant to ensure the secrecy of the killers' identities, so as to avoid accountability."
Which obv includes drone strikes, though you are forgetting that USA also does wetworks when needed like in OBL, not saying the guy didn't had it coming, just that as hard as you look for it you can't get a better example of a extrajudicial assassination. And most of the latinoamerican death squad leaders and trainers were actually trained in the US, for example there is extensive documentation that the Mexican drug dealers that you mention were.

Anyway, you are right that Belize is a country with wetworks capable enough to pwn that guy if they wanted to while he was alone in their country.

Ultratwinkie:

That depends, South American countries have long histories of death squads. They are often brutal, and some have the same training as American forces.

America hasn't used Death Squads in a while. They use drones now, which is military. Death squads in their normal form is obsolete.

Mexico is even worse, they take brutality to a whole new level. America just uses drones, they don't go out of their way to make someone suffer and then hang the mutilated body in public to serve as an example.

We don't kill people with people anymore, we kill them with remote-controlled robots now so that's totally not the same!

Ultratwinkie:

Which my point stands, Latin death squads wouldn't be fooled. They would have found him all the same.

Latin is a pretty big country, though. Plenty of places to hide. I mean, have you ever seen Latin?

Ultratwinkie:

Dogs? They aren't scared of dogs, no matter how many you have.

House security? They have military grade explosives and training. They will be long gone before the cops get there. They don't even need a key.

You're really playing up these "death squads" aren't you?

Ultratwinkie:

Guns? Any peashooter you manage to get will be outclassed by the military guns those squads have.

A gun that shoots bullets is a gun that shoots bullets. They can be deadly at any caliber. Just because it's "military" doesn't mean it's magically "better". Anyone who says otherwise watches way too many military films or plays too much realistic first-person shooters. All this talk about "my gun is better than your gun" reeks too much of the retarded filth spewed by those jackasses on The Deadliest Warrior, or Reba McEntire's character on Tremors ("You can't hit anything with that .30-30." You know, a basic huting rifle.).

Ultratwinkie:

If a South American country wanted him dead, he wouldn't even have time to prepare. He'd be dead by the next morning.

And yet "Most Wanted" lists still exist. Believe it or not, eluding capture is very possible, especially if you have a window of opportunity for a head start before anyone even knows you committed a crime.

If I had a dog that the police killed in the past, I might be paranoid about them doing it to my new dogs too.

I'm not sure I would be as paranoid as him though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here