Ubisoft CEO Chimes in on Wii U Hardware Pricing

Is $299 too expensive for gamers to handle?

We've known about the Wii U's pricing for a while now, and while many gamers have weighed in - either positively or negatively - and moved on, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot isn't quite over it yet. Speaking with GamesIndustry International, Guillemot was rather vocal about his displeasure that the console will launch at $299.

"I always prefer lower pricing, so I can't say I'm happy," Guillemot says. "I'm never happy when the machines are expensive. What we have to do there is remember that compared to an iPad, it's cheap. With what it brings [to gaming] it's cheap. But I hope they'll be able to drop their price in time."

As the first home console of the eighth generation, the Wii U will stand alone as the most expensive system this shopping season. Whether Nintendo's new box offers a good value proposition for gamers is up for debate, but given that both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 launched at significantly higher price points, it's interesting that the Ubisoft boss is displeased with the Wii U's asking price.

The argument, of course, is that many see the Wii U as simply "catching up" to what the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 have been offering for years, but the same pricing argument could probably be levied against several other companies, including Ubisoft.

For example, Ubisoft has re-released Rayman 2 for four consecutive generations now. The most recent re-release arrived for the Nintendo 3DS in 2011, a full decade after the original, for a whopping $39.99. So if we're talking about an "old" product - or been-there-done-that technology - being priced too high, perspective means a lot.

Source: GamesIndustry

It's $299 on the lower side of recent console releases? It's not "cheap" but it isn't PS3 expensive either!

"I always prefer lower pricing, so I can't say I'm happy."

Says the head of Ubisoft.

Someone's eyeing their pile of rocks inside their glass house...

MikeWehner:
For example, Ubisoft has re-released Rayman 2 for four consecutive generations now. The most recent re-release arrived for the Nintendo 3DS in 2011, a full decade after the original, for a whopping $39.99. So if we're talking about an "old" product - or been-there-done-that technology - being priced too high, perspective means a lot.

Ouch...

You have a very valid point there.

"Is $300 too much for gamers to handle?"

No, but it is for the gamers grandmother.

MikeWehner:

He's blowing smoke out his ass.

I didn't think the $300 price point was too expensive. Sure it's a turn-off for some, but definitely not overpriced. The controllers on the other hand...It feels odd when it seems technically cheaper to buy another full console than buying the controller for said console

kburns10:
It's $299 on the lower side of recent console releases? It's not "cheap" but it isn't PS3 expensive either!

I actually like the pricing. Especially that of the Wii U Special edition at 350$.

Compared to almost anything else nowadays, tech wise, that shit is cheap! I had payed 350 for my PS3, 450 for my first Xbox 360 and 350 for my Second Xbox. The cheapest "New" Console I had bought was a 3DS at 60$ because I sent in my DSi to go with it. I wish I didn't do that >.<

Regardless, I can't wait to pick this up in January. It will give me a good couple months to clear out my "Recent Games" Backlog.

Capitano Segnaposto:

kburns10:

I actually like the pricing. Especially that of the Wii U Special edition at 350$.

Compared to almost anything else nowadays, tech wise, that shit is cheap! I had payed 350 for my PS3, 450 for my first Xbox 360 and 350 for my Second Xbox. The cheapest "New" Console I had bought was a 3DS at 60$ because I sent in my DSi to go with it. I wish I didn't do that >.<

Regardless, I can't wait to pick this up in January. It will give me a good couple months to clear out my "Recent Games" Backlog.

I think the main issue with the price as I see it is as far as we are aware the Wii U doesn't have a significant graphical advantage over existing consoles and it's hard drives are quite small and I can't really see why it couldn't come out at a price the same as the PS3

getoffmycloud:

Capitano Segnaposto:

kburns10:

I think the main issue with the price as I see it is as far as we are aware the Wii U doesn't have a significant graphical advantage over existing consoles and it's hard drives are quite small and I can't really see why it couldn't come out at a price the same as the PS3

I'm halfway with you on this. For what we definitively know we are getting (hardware comparable to the current gen Sony/M$ and much smaller hard drives), it seems on the expensive end. But I would like to think that if it performs identical to the PS3 on release, in time it will far surpass what it can do. But I'm definitely not going first adopter on that shit anytime soon. I need a good library of games that are WiiU exclusives before I'm interested in picking one up. It's why I waited so long to get a 3DS and I still haven't bought a PS Vita.

As always, buyer beware.

getoffmycloud:

Capitano Segnaposto:

kburns10:

Well the PS3 and Xbox 360 game didn't look all THAT Amazing either, other than the 720p bit when they first came out. Yet now look, we can push God of War 3 and Halo 4, both stunning looking games, which are a farcry away from what they looked like on day 1. I assume the Wii U may also do just this.

Compared to what the 360 and PS3 cost when that came out, this is a good price for a brand new console hitting the market! Although the peripherals (Like the controllers without the screen) are a bit on the costly side.

Oh for goodness sakes...

Nintendo have already said that they're selling the Wii U at a loss. There's only so low you can go when selling at a loss. The money from the Wii and DS sales have probably given them a big enough mountain of money to be able to get away with selling at a loss for a while, but still... $299 is not a lot of money to pay for a new console.

Especially now that it's been all but confirmed that the Wii U is going to be quite a bit more advanced than either the 360 or PS3 specs-wise. All this 'it's only as good as current gen consoles' nonsense is just that- nonsense. We know for a fact that it's got four times the total RAM, and is using tech several generations ahead of anything in either current gen console. All the pre-release info is pointing to something like a custom Radeon e6760, a GP-GPU that is far more powerful than the GPUs in the PS360s. In fact, the latest rumours regarding the Orbis/PS4 devkits suggest that it isn't going to be much more powerful than the Wii U itself.

In short, this is not a bad deal. The Wii U isn't a catch-up current gen console, it's a proper 'next-gen' console with improved hardware. Three hundred bucks isn't a huge amount when it comes to consoles, especially considering that the Big N is selling at a loss. The PS3 launched for nearly twice that, and had buggerall games on release worth playing.

getoffmycloud:

For me 1080p capabilities are quite significant. Because you know, PS3 and XBox still can't run a decent amount of games on 1080p while the Wii U launches with 1080p on third party games. Amd the rest of the specs is also quite meatier than anything current gen can come up with.

On Topic: Eh... Right now there is the sweet deal that you can get an XBox with Kinect or a good drive for over 400 bucks... Tell me how 300 for the Wii U are bad?

$300 isn't all that expensive really. Considering it comes with a fancy gamepad I don't think that's very expensive. He's talking out of his arse.

The only thing I see wrong about it (judging by the amazon store page) is it's limited hard drive space.

The WiiU is being pre-ordered at $580 here in Mexico... so yeah, I'll stick to my PC from here on out... and maybe I'll buy a PS2 to catch up on all the games I missed.

"Compared to an iPad..." and that's where I stop listening. This isn't an iPad. It's a full fledged console. When I can play Bayonetta 2 on an iPad, I'll give this argument some credit. $300 isn't a bad price when you consider that the PS3, Xbox360, and PSVita all run pretty darn close to that price point even now... and two of those are 6 years old.

And yeah, the company that's been a pioneer in DRM and anti-consumerism shouldn't throw stones about pricing when they charge you $60 for a PC game that limits you to 3 installs.

Additionally, does Ubisoft EVER stop bitchng? They bitch about piracy, they bitch about us needing a new console gen, they bitch about how consoles aren't powerful enough, they bitch about how hard programming advanced AI is, and now that they got a new, more advanced console.. they bitch about the price.

$299...

If only they would recognize that the Australian dollar is higher... It's $348 here

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here