Blizzard Reveals StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Release Date

Blizzard Reveals StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Release Date

Sarah Kerrigan's campaign will continue on March 12, 2013.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty came out over two years ago, but left the current StarCraft story only 1/3 complete. While the first entry took care of the Terran side of the story, fans have been eagerly awaiting Heart of the Swarm, the second installment in the StarCraft II trilogy, to tell the story of Sarah Kerrigan and her Zerg hordes. They need not wait much longer, as Blizzard has announced that Heart of the Swarm will hit digital and retail shelves on March 12, 2013, and bring with it a bevy of options for Standard, Deluxe, and Collector's Editions.

Heart of the Swarm will run on a number of platforms, including all flavors of Windows from XP through 8, and Mac, and will come in both digital-download and boxed retail forms. As with the previous installment, Blizzard wants to attract players for both its single- and multiplayer content. "With Heart of the Swarm, our goal has been to expand on the multiplayer action and cinematic storytelling of Wings of Liberty," says Mike Morhaime, president of Blizzard. "Combined with features like unranked matchmaking and our new leveling system, this expansion elevates the StarCraft II experience for players of all skill levels."

A Collector's Edition of Heart of the Swarm will come packaged with a behind-the-scenes DVD, original soundtrack, art book, and mousepad, along with a collection of digital goods. While Blizzard has not yet priced the Collector's Edition, those who only want the downloadable bounty can partake in a Digital Deluxe edition of the game, which will set you back an extra $20 and net you a Torrasque skin for Ultralisk units, some Battle.net paraphernalia, and exclusive in-game items for World of Warcraft and Diablo III.

March 12 may seem like a long time away, but think of it this way: You now have a solid five months to dust off your StarCraft II skills before the multiplayer wave crests again. If you purchase the Digital Deluxe edition, just imagine how much terror you can instill in your opponent by sending a Torrasque their way (even if it's only a prettified normal unit this time around). That'll take them right back to 1998.

Source: Eurogamer

Sounds like it will be fun to play when they finally finish the game. That should be around 2016, right?

Will the final, finished game have all the extras they put into the previous special editions of the unfinished product?

I have to point and laugh at the idea of a planned expansion taking two and a half years. Especially when there's another expansion coming.

JaredXE:
Sounds like it will be fun to play when they finally finish the game. That should be around 2016, right?

Will the final, finished game have all the extras they put into the previous special editions of the unfinished product?

2016 if we're lucky. And when the Battle Chest comes out in 2020 for the low, low price of $180, you'll still need to get all the other stuff from the cash shop.

Ever since they went so heavily on multiplayer, I really lost interest in their games.
It doesn't sound like they are planning an engine update as yet?
By the time this is done, it'll be utterly ridiculous.

Screw multiplayer its the story that brings me to starcraft. Being kept waiting 2 years isnt fun, its even less fun knowing i'll probably have to wait 2 more to see it tied up.

Could be worse i guess, could be Half Life 3 or Half Life 2 Ep 3 whatever is supposed to be coming next from the Gabes Fried Chicken...

God these installments creep along slower than the creep itself!

I wish they could let us buy the single player only for a significant discount... I don't really care about online competitive multiplayer, and would gladly pass it up to get single player sooner and/or cheaper.

Oh yay! I was actually betting that it would take Blizzard another couple years to develop the expansion. Guess I was wrong.

Looking forward to playing as Zerg and seeing what's gonna happen to Kerrigan. Really loving SC2 story so far.

Ooh! Baneling battle pet for World of Warcraft! Now I feel like I need to get both, SCII Heart of the Swarm Delux Edition, AND Mists of Pandaria!

I looked forward to this expansion for a long time. I stopped caring around a year ago, when it became abundantly clear that Blizzard had no intention of releasing it while the game was still relevant to me.

"Episodic content" has become something ugly. An excuse developers make for not wanting to make the whole game right away, and leaves NO guarantees whatsoever as to when (or even IF) the remaining stuff gets released.

"Here. Buy our game! Its awesome! It's only 60 bucks! And we promise we might complete it at some point in the future, and if we do you get to buy those parts as well!"

What's this? Heart of the Swarm news?

I guess Blizzard thought it's been too long since the last time people had an excuse to make silly complaints about Wings of Liberty being 1/3rd of a full game.

Vivi22:

I guess Blizzard thought it's been too long since the last time people had an excuse to make silly complaints about Wings of Liberty being 1/3rd of a full game.

Well, it is only one third of the full story. Just think how Harry Potter fans felt having to read a seventh of the story at a time.

I must say even I LOVE the story of the first Starcraft, the second once disappointed me...
I hope they have something exciting to show to us.

I'm a bitch for the Bliz special ed's, got all bar the original wow one and yea i'll get this one :) sounds fun and well as long as there is no real money AH i'm sure epople will have fun and enjoy it and not moan too much.

Hmm, well the Terran campagin was one long boring glorified tutorial, will this be like that too? Iīm not buying this, i liked the MP in SC2, but i hated the SP campaign, so canīt see why i should buy any of the expansions. Iīll just play SC1 and Warcraft 3 instead, back when they actually knew how to make an engaging campaign without using a 1000 years to make 1/3 of a game^^.

If the campaign in SC 2 had been good and if i could play with all 3 races, i wouldnīt mind. But this really feels like a rip-off, and i guess this next chapter will be full price just as the first one?

Dang, I like most lost interest years ago. Plus the story is pretty awful to justify playing through an extra long tutorial, so I guess I was going to skip it anyways.
Well I guess i'll just move on seeing as the whole of Starcraft 2 will be completed in years.

Shakura Jolithion:
I wish they could let us buy the single player only for a significant discount... I don't really care about online competitive multiplayer, and would gladly pass it up to get single player sooner and/or cheaper.

I agree with this, never played the multiplayer, never cared for it. The story on the other hand was brilliant with those choices about which mission to do like the one where you can save a potentially infested Terran Colony or destroy it. Loved every minute of the campaign and wish this expansion would come out sooner.

My jaw dropped. :3

I nearly started hyperventilating. Day one buy. Will get, as it is the sequel to the best game ever.

saintdane05:
I nearly started hyperventilating. Day one buy. Will get, as it is the sequel to the best game ever.

This, the only think I need to think about is if I will buy the Digital Deluxe or regular version.

Maybe now Wings of Liberty might actually drop to a decent price, but judging by Blizzard's pricing policy (And to a lesser extent, Activision's, as they're the same company), I doubt it. All new-comers, have fun paying Ģ70 for both parts come March!

Guys, geez.

I dislike Activision as much as the next man, and Blizzard are an empty shell of the company I once loved, but the hate in this thread is silly.

WoL was a great game. If you didn't like the multiplayer, well, ok but it was always going to be the primary focus of a fucking STARCRAFT game. If you liked the SP, well, you get the next part of the story for an expansion price. There's no excuse to hate here, other than sour grapes or projected rage from Blizzard's other mistakes.

Yes finally! There was no way in hell that Blizzard was going to release Diablo III, a WoW expansion and HotS all in the same year. Still have a ways to go but at least we've got a date nailed down.

ArkhamHorror:

Vivi22:

Well, it is only one third of the full story. Just think how Harry Potter fans felt having to read a seventh of the story at a time.

This is a fun comparison actually.

Oh oh oh. Think about people who read the Wheel of Time series. They had to pay full price for 1/14th of a full book each book.

Wings of Liberty had some of the worst damn writing I've seen in a game yet, but I've been keeping a close-ish eye on the beta to see how multiplayer shapes up.

I'll admit that "landmines with rocket launchers" did not do good things for my confidence, but I can be won back. Buff the carriers, Blizzard. Shorter build times, better micro potential.

Well considering that Beta for HotS has been about for about 2 months now, this news was expected. Already pegged the release date around early next year.

saintdane05:

Are you like a Daystar Clarion fanboi or something?...

The Crotch:
Wings of Liberty had some of the worst damn writing I've seen in a game yet, but I've been keeping a close-ish eye on the beta to see how multiplayer shapes up.

I'll admit that "landmines with rocket launchers" did not do good things for my confidence, but I can be won back. Buff the carriers, Blizzard. Shorter build times, better micro potential.

You've never played WoW: Cataclysm then. Now -THAT- is atrocious storytelling! Then you start bringing in all the other idiocy introduced into the setting post WC3 TFT and your brain starts melting. So yeah believe me. SC2 Wings of Liberty? Freaking Shapespeare by comparison despite the numerous plotholes and so forth.

Daemonate:
Guys, geez.

I dislike Activision as much as the next man, and Blizzard are an empty shell of the company I once loved, but the hate in this thread is silly.

WoL was a great game. If you didn't like the multiplayer, well, ok but it was always going to be the primary focus of a fucking STARCRAFT game. If you liked the SP, well, you get the next part of the story for an expansion price. There's no excuse to hate here, other than sour grapes or projected rage from Blizzard's other mistakes.

The thing is. The original starcraft wasnt anticipated as the greatest rts multiplayer of all time, it BECAME that. How could it, Internet wasnt at all as mainstream as it is now. There are loads of us that love starcraft for completely different reasons. Like the story, and brilliant campaign.

While the SC2 campaign had its moments, it was pretty damn awful and lacking in scope compared to the original campaign. And while I had fun with it, I was ultimately disappointed.

Anyway, my point is that Starcraft wasnt always about the multiplayer, and still isnt for a lot of us. If it was only about that, blizzard wouldnt bother to make a campaign at all.

ArkhamHorror:

Very much this. I really don't understand why people keep on making this same stupid complaint. WoL isn't 1/3 of a game, it's 1/3 of a trilogy. It has basically the same amount of content the original Starcraft (29 missions as opposed to 30 for the first game), it just uses them to only tell the first part of the story rather than the whole thing. Complaining that you don't like the actual game is fair enough, but complaining that there's something inherently wrong with making a trilogy is just bizarre.

The one thing that does seem a bit odd to me is the excessive development time. Sure, Blizzard are nearly as bad as Valve for not releasing until they decide everything is as ready as it possible can be. But this isn't building a game from scratch. The engine already exists, most of the assets already exist, I'm sure many of the environments will be reused, and at least a basic outline for the story must have been known. Nearly three years to add in a couple more units and put together 30 or so maps seems a bit much.

Should I preorder or not. I will pick it up full prize anyways. But then Digital Deluxe or not?

Gah

N3squ1ck:
Should I preorder or not. I will pick it up full prize anyways. But then Digital Deluxe or not?

Gah

"The answers you seek lie within."
OT: Yay finally! Probably not getting digital deluxe though, since I'm not playing WoW or D3 too much and I already got all the sweet portraits.

lancar:
I looked forward to this expansion for a long time. I stopped caring around a year ago, when it became abundantly clear that Blizzard had no intention of releasing it while the game was still relevant to me.

"Episodic content" has become something ugly. An excuse developers make for not wanting to make the whole game right away, and leaves NO guarantees whatsoever as to when (or even IF) the remaining stuff gets released.

"Here. Buy our game! Its awesome! It's only 60 bucks! And we promise we might complete it at some point in the future, and if we do you get to buy those parts as well!"

heart of the swarm is only $40..........
OT: YES! time to go order my CE:) been waiting for them to announce a release for some time now as i want to get my zerg on in campain again.(not that WOL wasnt great, despite what some intitled idiots think, but i really needed a tutorel for zerg play in SC2.)

I preordered this on Amazon back in April. APRIL! $40. Glad it's not vaporware.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here