Black Ops 2 Breaks Amazon's Pre-Order Record

Pages PREV 1 2

Surprising exactly no-one and inevitably launching a slew of "why don't people buy GOOD games I weep for human nature blah blah blah"

prophecy2514:
This broken record doesnt suprise me
walked into JB hifi today to buy a present for my father for his birthday. Get to the checkout, 3 different mums and their sons in front of me. and they're all buying black ops 2. and these kids would be no older than 10-12 years old.
Words cannot describe how much disappointment I felt this morning.

Why disappointed? I mean i personally don't see why 10-12 year olds shouldn't play the game . Is it just because there is a M on the box? I personally find those ratings bullshit and idealist , but that's just me . If these kids parents approve of them playing the game , then what's the problem?

JEBWrench:

Good for them. I hope the people who enjoy playing it continue to do so.

While I agree with the above, I wish my friends would either stop buying the games or start enjoying them. I'm always inundated by ERMAGERDNOOBZHACKZCHEETZSPAWNCAMPZ by my friends, who all line up to buy the game day one. Or midnight launches.

krazykidd:

prophecy2514:
walked into JB hifi today to buy a present for my father for his birthday. Get to the checkout, 3 different mums and their sons in front of me. and they're all buying black ops 2. and these kids would be no older than 10-12 years old.

Why disappointed? I mean i personally don't see why 10-12 year olds shouldn't play the game . Is it just because there is a M on the box? I personally find those ratings bullshit and idealist , but that's just me . If these kids parents approve of them playing the game , then what's the problem?

Because some kids should be protected from the decisions of their dumb parents duhh?

OT: MEh who cares. It is the same deal in every industry.

WanderingFool:

DVS BSTrD:

That gif is pure win...

And... to be honest... I pre-ordered for Nuketown 2025.

Somehow this makes everything we hate about the game industry YOUR FAULT.

/votekick /report

You suck at escapist forums uninstall plz

There was a couple of chairs out the front of the EB I went to that were occupied by kids parents, I found it quite amusing.

I've finished the campaign, gotten to lvl40 on multiplayer, spent a few hours on zombies. Despite a few little problems that need to be tweaked, it's a solid game.

60USD for a glorified DLC pack.

O Madden fans, why do you have so much money to waste?

JEBWrench:

Good for them. I hope the people who enjoy playing it continue to do so.

haha I love that.

Blops is currently my favorite shooter franchise, and I enjoy what they've done with Blops 2. Whole package looks better, and now, I can do 4 play split screen zombies.

Awesome is the word, boys.

krazykidd:

prophecy2514:

We will have to agree to disagree, I just dont believe your standard 12 year old kid is mature enough to comprehend the context the game presents itself in.

prophecy2514:

krazykidd:

prophecy2514:

We will have to agree to disagree, I just dont believe your standard 12 year old kid is mature enough to comprehend the context the game presents itself in.

Exactly , they don't understand . To them they don't see the horrors of war. To them it's just a souped-up version of cowboys and indians . To them it's just fun . I think that because they are ignorant to the context , it makes it less real and more make believe .

Forgive me if that's not clear .

newwiseman:
What I hate is there pre-order BS. You get Nuketown if you pre-order any edition but only get Nuketown zombies if you pre-ordered hardened or the other special edition. F#$% you Treyarch.

Actually, you get both Nuketown maps when you BUY any non-standard edition (e.g. every Digital Deluxe Version of Black Ops 2 contains them). Pre-Order is only for the Default Version.
And Nuketown Zombies is ALSO part of the Season pass for DLCs.

So, the only way NOT to get either map is to just buy the standard-edition post-release.

Why so much hate for Call of Duty?
It's just a war time shooter game which people seem to like. I enjoyed the World War II games they made and I still play World at War now and again.
A lot of kids do buy it though - just today someone came in and said they had bought it for their young son.

It's one of those games that doesn't require 100% commitment.
You turn it on, you play a few rounds and then you turn it off. It's hardly the epic RPGs I imagine some of you play which can take numerous hours and mythology to enjoy.

I sort of wonder how the market keeps increasing every time a CoD instalment is released; I mean, especially during an economic recession, are we just hitting a population boom or...?

krazykidd:

prophecy2514:

krazykidd:

Exactly , they don't understand . To them they don't see the horrors of war. To them it's just a souped-up version of cowboys and indians . To them it's just fun . I think that because they are ignorant to the context , it makes it less real and more make believe .

Forgive me if that's not clear .

No no that's completely clear its a good point, but I believe its for that reason why they shouldnt play, because its desensitizing those kids to warfare that does not perfectly resemble modern day combat, but does a pretty good job at trying too. There is a big difference (I feel anyway) between playing coppers and robbers or cowboys and indians outside with mates with toy guns compared to a videogame resembling realistic combat

For the record, I don't mind cod on the sparing occasion I play it at a friends place. If it does well it does well, don't care, my disappointment may have been incorrectly misinterpreted as having a crack at cod but it was more so meant to be aimed at these parents

But when a mum buys a game for a kid that still thinks making a fake fart sound with their armpit is funny (mind you which one kid did while in the line with who I could assume is his brother, which is why I use this example) I'm sorry but I just don't think that's right, agree or disagree with me you can.

TopazFusion:
If people hate these games as much as we're led to believe, WHO IS BUYING THEM??!!

This website's following has a strong leaning towards RPGs and indie titles, so it's natural that you won't find much love for CoD here. As demonstrated by the sales, modern-military-shooters are an astoundingly popular genre, and the Call of Duty series is widely believed to be the best in that genre.

I am not surprised, they seem to be selling more with each new game in the series. This will probably continue unless they make a poor quality game (in objective terms that is).

I have never been into COD, but I find myself somewhat envious that they have such frequent sequels yet do not seem to have many major issues in the technical sense. Then you get games like Assassins Creed where the bugs and issues actually seem to increase each sequel.

Nantucket:

I imagine there are several reasons, although none of them are particularly good ones.

People do not like it, and for some reason people don't like it when others enjoy things that they don't.

Then there is the fact that it's so popular even the mainstream media knows what it is, which means that the type of gamer they see the most of are the COD fans. Seeing how the media loves to concentrate on the negative rather than the positive this means that they only pay attention to the little loud-mouth children, or the crazy people who queue up for three days in advance to get it. Which is another case of gamers being made to look bad in some form or another.

Then I think there is the concern people have that games like COD sell so well, developers will stop making other types of games in order to make COD clones as that's where the money is.

Legion:

Then I think there is the concern people have that games like COD sell so well, developers will stop making other types of games in order to make COD clones as that's where the money is.

Which is kind of an odd thing to worry about. How many successful Modernish Military Shooters actually sell well? I can think of two franchises.

If anything, the overwhelming success of CoD and BF ought to result in devs having to find other ways to make money. Subscription-based MMOs were never able to topple to their monolith, so to make money, MMOs had to innovate (in payment models and to a lesser extent gameplay).

Of all the CoD games, I was most interested in this one because it had that future-thing going on. Still not interested enough to get it, but atleast it's getting closer.

Beautiful End:

TopazFusion:
If people hate these games as much as we're led to believe, WHO IS BUYING THEM??!!

Kids.

Any other questions?

Alright, alright. So I see a lot of kids, tweens and teenagers preorder Blops. They usually go with their parents who are oblivious to the franchise and don't give a crap about what their kids play.

The "grownups" who buy the game usually trade it in like a week after they're done. Well, that's usually the case but it depends on how good the game is. like RE6, we got like easily 20 preowned copies of that game already. But when Blops 1 came out, you couldn't find a preowned copy for months.

That's my guess.

OT: Yeah, I won't be surprised to hear Blops 3 or MW4 will break preorder records. It's the circle of life. Even if the game sucks, if its CoD, people will buy it.

From what I can tell from my brother and his friends, these games are also popular for being popular. They play the multiplayer while it's still hot, and when the next title comes out, the previous one is sold or collecting dust with my Wii.

I'm sick of this fad, can't wait till it dies.

I'm not surprised. It looks good from what I have seen, but making Nuketown 2025 a bonus map is complete bullshit.

Put it this way there not terrible games, The real reason people don't like them is because everyone gets them and they don't really change i mean look at MW to Blops 2 sure there are more kill streaks rewards but what really has changed in the past 5-6 years.

People are shelling out €55 quid (+ this elite bullshit)for these things a year for the same thing they got last year with different maps and gun set.

Feel free to call me out on it but cods main audience are from 13-18 year olds its aimed at people who will buy it if there friends get it and when your in school if you don't have it your pretty shunned.

This game is for people with more money then sense and i am so jealous of you bastards!!!!

Trippy Turtle:
I'm not surprised. It looks good from what I have seen, but making Nuketown 2025 a bonus map is complete bullshit.

Well, it isn't a bonusmap per se - it's just a map for everyone BUT the guys buying the game after launch in the standard version. (And even then, there is a good chance that at least in the first few months, you still can get a copy WITH Nuketown 2025)

Personally, I don't regret getting it (then again, I only had to pay 10€ for the Upgrade from normal to Digital Deluxe), enjoying Zombie Mode a lot and the Singleplayer isn't too shabby either. Just the MP got rather borked up (No Serverbrowser, Treyarch? Really? The ONE thing Black Ops 1 did right without the shadown of a doubt - and you scrap it for BO2?)

WanderingFool:

DVS BSTrD:

That gif is pure win...

And... to be honest... I pre-ordered for Nuketown 2025.

Pretty much this. My friends literally just bought Black Ops II just for the zombie campaign because they've gotten bored with how the Call of Duty franchise has become and they are huge Call of Duty fans.
Edit: Also I checked Amazon and while Blops II is the best seller the rating for it is 2 and a quarter stars.

TopazFusion:

moron kids under the age of 16 who have no concept of when they're being suckered.

well, critics even gave blackops 2 a lower score than all the rest, barely any are breaking 8.5

Nantucket:
It's just a war time shooter game which people seem to like. I enjoyed the World War II games they made and I still play World at War now and again.
A lot of kids do buy it though - just today someone came in and said they had bought it for their young son.

It's one of those games that doesn't require 100% commitment.
You turn it on, you play a few rounds and then you turn it off. It's hardly the epic RPGs I imagine some of you play which can take numerous hours and mythology to enjoy.

For me personaly, it's not the game itself. I liked MW1, WaW and even MW2. They were pretty good for what is essentialy dumb summer action moves. It's what CoD represents. The game itself is just the same thing, year after year after year. Multiplayer that is passable, if a bit imbalanced, with a tacked on 5-to-6 hour single plyer that sometimes tries to tell an iteresting story but is mostly just an excuse to charge 40 pounds for the game, supplumented with DLC packs and addons that could have been added to the actual disc before the game shipped. If it was just that, I'd dislike it, but I woudn't really care about it. The thing that I HATE about CoD, and Madden, and every other series that does this, is that it keeps working. If they just made one game and then kept that going for ages with extra content, like WoW or TF2 did, I'd have no problem. But I don't see why people are buying the same thing every frakin year.

Bindal:

newwiseman:
What I hate is there pre-order BS. You get Nuketown if you pre-order any edition but only get Nuketown zombies if you pre-ordered hardened or the other special edition. F#$% you Treyarch.

Actually, you get both Nuketown maps when you BUY any non-standard edition (e.g. every Digital Deluxe Version of Black Ops 2 contains them). Pre-Order is only for the Default Version.
And Nuketown Zombies is ALSO part of the Season pass for DLCs.

So, the only way NOT to get either map is to just buy the standard-edition post-release.

Ignoring my point I'm well aware of the other options for obtaining the additional map, at least after December when they will release Nuketown zombies to the season pass folks. The reason I say F#$% you Treyarch is that their misleading advertising implied all pre-orders would get the Nuketown map for both multilayer and zombies, by stating it in the advert immediately after mentioning the addition of zombies mode. One of Treyarch's people was on twitter yesterday apologizing for not making the info on the bonus maps clear.

The main reason I don't buy the new COD every year is because I know the publisher gets off on this nick and dime BS.

prophecy2514:

Yup. I know the feeling.

I help out at an afterschool program at a couple elementary schools, and all the boys this week were talking about how awesome BlOps 2 is. I just smile and nod, roll my eyes when they're not looking, and keep my mouth shut. Even though I share the same opinion of many escapists when it comes to CoD, that doesn't mean I have to ruin the kids fun by stating my opinions about the franchise (even though I still don't like the fact 9 year olds are playing rated M games, but eh... Wacha gonna do?)

This really doesn't surprise me. It's like popular Hollywood franchises (transformers is a good example). It doesn't matter how crappy the franchise is, if its popular, people will buy/ support it.

That's just how the world goes.

How many Call of Duty games do we have now? Nine? Nine Call of Duty games, and number one is still the best. Massive sales aside, that is not a very impressive record.

I have to admit though, I haven't played them all. After seeing MW2 I decided not to dish out so much cash to play the same game with different levels over and over again. It's not even like the graphics were getting any better.

What always confounds me about these games is that they make more money every time. While pre-order figures and total revenues aren't exactly correlated with total final sales, they're very good proxies (but high pre-orders could just be shifted early purchases from entrenched fans and total revenue could be the same, but shifting them from $60 standard to $100 SUPER AWESOME edition).

Which means it's fairly reasonable to conclude that, with every release, more and more people are playing Call of Duty games. Which means either more and more kids are hopping on the train (hurray, angry pre-teens!) as they reach the age where they can somehow acquire the game, or people are honestly deciding to wade into the CoD toxic swamp even as they see people drowning in it.

JoesshittyOs:

Beautiful End:

TopazFusion:

Kids.

Any other questions?

Alright, alright. So I see a lot of kids, tweens and teenagers preorder Blops. They usually go with their parents who are oblivious to the franchise and don't give a crap about what their kids play.

The "grownups" who buy the game usually trade it in like a week after they're done. Well, that's usually the case but it depends on how good the game is. like RE6, we got like easily 20 preowned copies of that game already. But when Blops 1 came out, you couldn't find a preowned copy for months.

That's my guess.

OT: Yeah, I won't be surprised to hear Blops 3 or MW4 will break preorder records. It's the circle of life. Even if the game sucks, if its CoD, people will buy it.

Ya know, that's not remotely true. Sure, an unhealthy amount of children play this game, but all my peers (19-20) are still buying and enjoying these games.

Off Topic-ish: I'm not sure if it's because everyone who's playing this game is terrible, but I'm really digging this game right now. It's fun. And it's been a while since I'v been able to say that about a CoD game.

Well, I'm not saying only kids buy them. Of course other people other than kids buy it, otherwise it wouldn't be that successful. But in my experience, I've seen a lot of kids buy Blops 2, maybe more so than the rest.
I mean, my friends and I also bought the game and we're not even teenagers anymore. Sorry if I didn't explain myself well.

WanderingFool:

Kinguendo:
lots of crap I dont like to hear.

That doesnt sound to good from where im sitting. I thought Blops was one of the best COD games Ive played, so I felt secure in pre-ordering it.

I plan on getting rid of it before next tuesday, the campaign is interesting and TranZit on Zombies is pretty freaking sweet... but the longevity is in the Multiplayer and its more like MW3 than Black Ops. Shame.

Kinguendo:

WanderingFool:

Kinguendo:
lots of crap I dont like to hear.

That doesnt sound to good from where im sitting. I thought Blops was one of the best COD games Ive played, so I felt secure in pre-ordering it.

I plan on getting rid of it before next tuesday, the campaign is interesting and TranZit on Zombies is pretty freaking sweet... but the longevity is in the Multiplayer and its more like MW3 than Black Ops. Shame.

While I agree with it being more MW3 than Blops, it has the good fourtune of not being as bullshity as MW3.

I only have three real problems. The weapon camos (hate having to get headshots to unlock new camos), the maps are design to basically leave you exposed from every freaking angle (which I guess is a good thing), and that the KSG is basically a rifle and not a shotgun (I mean, seriously, its in the name, Shotgun. I dont want to have to ADS with a shotgun everytime I want to get a kill. Im better off with a semi-auto assault rifle.)

Anyways, Im enjoying it enough to keep it. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on getting with the trade-in?

WanderingFool:

Kinguendo:

WanderingFool:

While I agree with it being more MW3 than Blops, it has the good fourtune of not being as bullshity as MW3.

I only have three real problems. The weapon camos (hate having to get headshots to unlock new camos), the maps are design to basically leave you exposed from every freaking angle (which I guess is a good thing), and that the KSG is basically a rifle and not a shotgun (I mean, seriously, its in the name, Shotgun. I dont want to have to ADS with a shotgun everytime I want to get a kill. Im better off with a semi-auto assault rifle.)

Anyways, Im enjoying it enough to keep it. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on getting with the trade-in?

Keeping the credit until Hitman or Farcry 3.

Also, Dragonfire is literally unusable on Yemen. It gives you no warning, I got one out of a carepackage and couldnt find a single place to unleash it... including standing out in the middle of a street, which is possibly the least tactical position ever. Found that out yesterday just before I prestiged to see if it had any redemption... also, bare in mind that the community in any FPS only gets more cheap as time goes by as people learn what is and is not OP.

After playing Black Ops 1 and seeing the things they did with it, I just couldnt get back into MW games... they are so limited. So for Black Ops 2 to be like MW3 really pissed me off, so yeah... got rid of it today. The guy behind the counter was telling me how he got rid of his last Wednesday.

Also, Woods? You have played the campaign right? Seriously, WOODS?!

Hey Amazon,

I don't care if this game broke the speed of light this kind of thing is sort of expected so thanks Amazon for the pointing out the obvious.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here