Black Ops 2 Disc Mixup Can Get You Mass Effect Trilogy

Black Ops 2 Disc Mixup Can Get You Mass Effect Trilogy

Over a thousand PC gamers have received Mass Effect 2 discs in their Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 package.

The estimated thousand or so gamers who ended up with Mass Effect 2 discs in their Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 PC packaging have had an unexpected offer from Bioware. Send us a picture, Bioware says, and we'll send the first fifty of you who do a copy of the entire Mass Effect trilogy.

"If the universe thinks that you should be playing Mass Effect right now," Bioware said, "who are we to argue?" Qualifying participants in this accidental ad campaign need to send Bioware a picture of themselves holding their Black Ops 2 "special disc 2," and the first fifty who do will get a code for the trilogy. Full details can be found here.

It's still not clear how the Mass Effect discs ended up in Black Ops 2 boxes; it's not as if the games share developers, or publishers. The problem only seems to affect PC gamers, so the console crowd can breathe easy. That said, Bioware ought to be congratulated for turning someone else's mess into their opportunity.

Source: Game Informer

Karloff:
Send us a picture, Bioware says, and we'll send the first fifty of you who do a copy of the entire Mass Effect trilogy.

"If the universe thinks that you should be playing Mass Effect right now," Bioware said, "who are we to argue?"

Talk about Indoctrination Theory!

I see no logical way that mass effect would be there.... how in the world did that happen. I want to know! Maybe..uh.. hmm... OH! do they have same packaging people? that could be it.. hm. we must find out!

also good for bioware. free marketing is always good. :D

knight4light:
I see no logical way that mass effect would be there.... how in the world did that happen. I want to know! Maybe..uh.. hmm... OH! do they have same packaging people? that could be it.. hm. we must find out!

Perhaps the people in boxing were playing the copies of Blops II and didn't want to ship them. XD

OT: Now this is one way to goof up. Somebody is definitely gonna get fired for this.

Packaging people wanted Blops 2, had a couple of spare ME2 games around and switched them as easy as 1+1=2.

Thats probably how it went down

no i am not talking out of experience

This article has just imrpoved my willingness to buy Black Ops 2. However, since I'd only be buying it for the chance that it would turn out to be something else, I'm still not going to buy it.

So, these people orderd CoD but got ME?

Lucky sons of...

I like how Bioware made a PR stunt out of this mess XD

Riccitello must have busted a nut laughing about this.

only 50 from the 1000, way to screw 950 customers.

Edit: Activision made the mistake, Bioware is giving the copies. Already pointed out, no need to keep quoting me. Thank you.

I hear an evil laugh coming from the main office of EA (Bioware).

Still think this isn't a random event. Bioware hasn't been in the good light for a bit so EA paid someone off to switch the discs.

esperandote:

while it isn't "screwing" per se, I do think it is a bit lopsided..and i'm curious if they required you to have the product key showing and stuff, otherwise i would've had my friends all come over and take pics real quick with it in their hands to show it.

esperandote:

I don't see how they're screwing 950 customers?

Black Ops 2 is an Activision game, Mass Effect 2 is a Bioware game. Activision made the fuck up, not Bioware. Tell me what part of Bioware saying "we'll give 50 people the full trilogy of one of our biggest titles" is screwing over 950 people instead of being nice to 50 people. And it's not like the 950 people can't just return their game and get the correct title...

wow, EA just found a new level of BEING EVIL.

A Smooth Criminal:

esperandote:

Black Ops 2 is an Activision game, Mass Effect 2 is a Bioware game. Activision made the fuck up, not Bioware. Tell me what part of Bioware saying "we'll give 50 people the full trilogy of one of our biggest titles" is screwing over 950 people instead of being nice to 50 people. And it's not like the 950 people can't just return their game and get the correct title...

How dare they not give away more copies of their product to people who got half of one of the titles because of an unrelated third party's mistake!

It's very telling of the way people see Bioware now that they're accused of wrong-doing, screwing people over and being evil, when they're doing something nice and giving away stuff for free with no motivation at all to do so.

knight4light:

Both companies probably go to the same company for pressing their disks. It's the only thing that makes sense.

A Smooth Criminal:

esperandote:

My bad, I thought the one making the mistake was the one giving away the copies. Then it's OK i guess.

Still the article doesn't mention Activision making up their mistake thought I guess they are going to.

Well at least they got a vastly better game.

Sounds like an inside job to me, and Biowares statement seems almost "Planed" or rehearsed. Anyways why would you need the Mass Effect trilogy they already got the best game of the 3.

esperandote:

A Smooth Criminal:

esperandote:

Oh, i thought the one making the mistake was the one giving away the copies. Then its OK i guess.

Still the article doesn't mention Activision making up their mistake thought i guess they are going to.

Call of Duty is an Activision game... This means that when Activision sent out the copies, they made the mistake.

The article clearly says that Bioware offered free copies of games to those who had ME2 in their Black Ops 2 boxes.

DVS BSTrD:

Say what you want about ME3, but at least this is a thousand times better series.

SupahGamuh:

DVS BSTrD:

Karloff:
Send us a picture, Bioware says, and we'll send the first fifty of you who do a copy of the entire Mass Effect trilogy.

"If the universe thinks that you should be playing Mass Effect right now," Bioware said, "who are we to argue?"

Say what you want about ME3, but at least this is a thousand times better series.

Oh indeed!
In Mass Effect they stopped trying right before the end
In Black Ops they stopped trying right after the beginning!

esperandote:

YES I SEES IT CLEERLEE NOW! Bioware owns blak ops rite? Yeh, dis is dere falt, they screwed over der custumors when dey bort dat game from dem!

Sorry what? Activision owns Black Ops, while EA(Bioware) owns Mass Effect, in what way is this Bioware screwing customers over? This has nothing to do with them or EA and it's a nice thing for them to do, they had no obligation to hand out those games at all. Christ alive, stop looking for problems with a company where there are none. The error here falls with Activision or the packaging company.

disgruntledgamer:
Sounds like an inside job to me, and Biowares statement seems almost "Planed" or rehearsed. Anyways why would you need the Mass Effect trilogy they already got the best game of the 3.

Really? 2 was the best? i disagree wholeheartedly. Mineral mining was a chore. the combat was good but not as good as Mass effect 3. Character development felt too spread out because of the huge cast. The skill system got way too simplified for there to feel like there was really any choice besides which 2 things to max out, and which one to leave by the wayside besides their loyalty power (which required deliberate handicapping for a while in order to max out, since by the time you got to do most of the loyalty missions, there weren't that many points left to earn, if any), and there was no serious impact for the choices you made except for the final ones in the suicide mission.

it was the worst one of the 3, yet still was not a poor game, which says something for the quality of the game series overall.

DVS BSTrD:

SupahGamuh:

DVS BSTrD:

Oh indeed!
In Mass Effect they stopped trying right before the end
In Black Ops they stopped trying right after the beginning!

OH you! with all of your wit bringing a bit of brightness to any news thread.

anyway, I envy these men who get the nice end of this PR stunt. (unless they don't get any of the dlc, in which case i am impartial because i already own all 3 games, but almost none of the dlc because i never got around to getting it)
I respect the guys at Bioware for pulling something like this, it's a nice gesture and possibly a way to convert people who never played the games before. Good on them.

elvor0:

esperandote:

YES I SEES IT CLEERLEE NOW! Bioware owns blak ops rite? Yeh, dis is dere falt, they screwed over der custumors when dey bort dat game from dem!

Sorry what? Activision owns Black Ops, while EA(Bioware) owns Mass Effect, in what way is this Bioware screwing customers over? This has nothing to do with them or EA and it's a nice thing for them to do, they had no obligation to hand out those games at all. Christ alive, stop looking for problems with a company where there are none. The error here falls with Activision or the packaging company.

LOL, read post No. 17

i think they just needed a way to get rid of all of the extra mass effect 2 disks, and then turned it into an event

It's obviously a hint from God.

Good thing I didn't buy BlOps2 because I would be rather pissed off if I got the wrong game. I paid $80+ AU for a game and I expect to be given the $80+ AU game rather than one which is currently sitting in the $20 AU bargain bin!

doggie015:
Good thing I didn't buy BlOps2 because I would be rather pissed off if I got the wrong game. I paid $80+ AU for a game and I expect to be given the $80+ AU game rather than one which is currently sitting in the $20 AU bargain bin!

*hint* you could have taken the photos, gotten the mass effect series for free, then gone back to the shop and exchanged for a proper copy as it falls under the right to refund/exchange for faulty goods

They'll probably give up a few hours into the awful mess that was ME1 and try and get a refund.

doggie015:

You guys have the ME Trilogy Edition sitting in the bargain bin for $20 AU? Wow. I'm jealous now.

NKRevan:

doggie015:

You guys have the ME Trilogy Edition sitting in the bargain bin for $20 AU? Wow. I'm jealous now.

I was referring to ME2

This is some kind of miracle.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or