Exam Screw-Up Implies Giant Robots Took Part in the Russian Revolution

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Exam Screw-Up Implies Giant Robots Took Part in the Russian Revolution

"We can't take the Winter Palace without heavy mech support, comrade."

The instigators, causes, events and outcome of the Russian Revolution have been explored thoroughly in classrooms across the globe, but the history books have failed to note the importance of one machine without which the revolution would have stalled. I am of course talking about the MAD-X "Marauder" from BattleTech.

Confused? So were Australian youngsters taking their year 12 VCE history exam, when the iconic mecha turned up in the background of a painting included in the Visual History of the World section. The towering machine was apparently intent on assisting the proletariat in taking the Winter Palace, the official residence of the Russian monarchs. Don't fret, your history teachers haven't been lying to you - at least not this time - the image is an obvious chop and shop of Nikolai Kochergin's Storming the Winter palace on 25th October 1917. Searching for the painting on Google brings up the doctored, or perhaps improved, version as the first result, which presumably explains how it made its way into the exam. Someone wasn't paying attention.

A spokesman for the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) admitted as much:

The Image was "sourced and acknowledged by the VCAA as coming from the Internet," he said. "The image has been altered but the alteration of the image won't impact on the students' capacity to answer the examination question."

Fortunately, some wise soul posted a picture of the exam on Twitter, otherwise we would have been spared a laugh at the VCE's expense.

The spokesman didn't confirm or deny whether future exams would explore the role of the T-800 in the assassination of Leon Trotsky and Joseph Stalin's rise to power

Source: The Age

Fake? Please! Next you'll tell me there weren't any combat mechs at the battle of bunker hill!

To be fair it could also be a Zentraedi Officer's Pod.

Please, everyone knows Kerensky was piloting an Orion back then, not a Marauder.

Teaching history...doin it right!

Who cares about the normal Russian Revolution! Let's throw some mechas in there to keep the kids attention!

Would have worked for me...

This would make a great Dr Who plot.

Think about it: Companion convinces the Doctor to show them St Petersburg, he messes up the timing and arrives during the storming of the winterpalace. With Mechs.

In Pre-Soviet Russia... damn it!
"Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chain

...gun"

Vie:

Think about it: Companion convinces the Doctor to show them St Petersburg, he messes up the timing and arrives during the storming of the winterpalace. With Mechs.

I'll watch that.

Then again I'll watch almost anything with giant robots in it.

This gives me so many good ideas.

SOMEONE MAKE A GAME OUT OF THIS RIGHT NOW! TO KICKSTARTER!

That large machine in the background looks suspiciously like an Imperial Titan!

That may be the most hilarious thing I read all year.

Gearhead mk2:

I believe something very similar was already made, but it was set in the American Midwest, and sucked quite badly.

Loop Stricken:

Gearhead mk2:

I believe something very similar was already made, but it was set in the American Midwest, and sucked quite badly.

I think I know what you're talking about. A WWI game with mechs by Double Fine or something like that?

Anyway, more on topic, this kind of reminds me of my American History class and the textbooks we had that were full of erroneous facts on such topics like the Battle of the Bulge, and the Battle of Mogadishu. No mechs though.

Russian history is more badass than ours...

Aw yeahhhh, Glaug/Marauder in da house.

hahahaha oh history... hey throw something like this into the mix every once in a while just to see who's paying attention :P it'd keep me on edge in class loll

Assuming the industry is still on the "7 Out Of 10 Is Average" scoreboard, I never understood why the Sonic Rider titles were generally disliked. Granted, the games weren't anything special and Sonic Free Riders was apparently one of the worse games of 2010 by a lot of people, but the other two titles (Riders and Zero Gravity) were alright racers which kept the developed concepts of Sonic, even if those concepts included the introduction of more stupid characters and the over-emphasis on "Coolness".

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT I MIXED UP BROWSER TABS!!!

As for my opinion; I now want a WWII game with mechs. GIMME, JAPAN!!!

Damned Combine; those Kurita just can't resist meddling, can they?

-- Steve

kajinking:
Fake? Please! Next you'll tell me there weren't any combat mechs at the battle of bunker hill!

Russia had Mechs, America had assassins. Now all we need is for them to combine and fight.

V8 Ninja:
Assuming the industry is still on the "7 Out Of 10 Is Average" scoreboard, I never understood why the Sonic Rider titles were generally disliked. Granted, the games weren't anything special and Sonic Free Riders was apparently one of the worse games of 2010 by a lot of people, but the other two titles (Riders and Zero Gravity) were alright racers which kept the developed concepts of Sonic, even if those concepts included the introduction of more stupid characters and the over-emphasis on "Coolness".

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT I MIXED UP BROWSER TABS!!!

I dunno about game, but you have strike witches anime. Close enough ymmv.

rudolphna:

V8 Ninja:

Honestly, I found Strike Witches not worth sitting through due to the hours of boring talky-talk that must be trudged through in order to get to the few minutes of action.

Also, moe tits! I TOTALLY want to be associated with potentially-illegal pieces of "Entertainment"! (PS: No, I don't.)

psh,

V8 Ninja:

rudolphna:

V8 Ninja:

Honestly, I found Strike Witches not worth sitting through due to the hours of boring talky-talk that must be trudged through in order to get to the few minutes of action.

Also, moe tits! I TOTALLY want to be associated with potentially-illegal pieces of "Entertainment"! (PS: No, I don't.)

Psh strike witches isn't illegal. In fact, the Japanese cultural ministry has endorsed Strike Witches an example of cultural significance or excellence or something like that.
(Yes, really. I know, I was shocked too. I like flying loli's too, but I don't understand that)

captcha: dish fall sales event
Funny captcha, considering I'm posting this from a computer at my job at time warner cable. =|

TimeLord:

Sorry it really is a Marauder (or a derivative) from Battletech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder_II

Why didn't I have cool failing teachers but only failing ones? ... This would've been awesome! =D

Captcha: multi pass - Indeed, this would've made more people graduate with me... probably.

Vie:

That's gonna be the next not-yet-written Cybermen episode.

Wait. You mean to tell me that's not how it happened?

Best alternat history ever. It don't get much better than this kids.

DugMachine:
Wait. You mean to tell me that's not how it happened?

Of course it wasn't. The anti-Tsarist forces could only field light and medium mechs.

This needs to be a video game. I don't care who makes it or how, but it needs to be.

It could be an online game set in alternate history Russia. Red vs White in the early twentieth century just after WW1! That gave me ideas for three game modes already! I gotta start writing!

So, I did this exam yesterday, and no-one in my class noticed this at all. Not even the teacher noticed. Also, nice going VCAA. Nicely done.

I thought it was a Warhammer 40,000 pic when I first saw it. Commissars...

Man, I would have aced that test...
I agree with the rest of you guys, I want this to be a game. Hell, mechs or not, we seriously need more games about the Russian Revolution.

Zat's right. There were no mechs in ze war. Nor did ze Germans have any crazed vampires running about und creating as much havoc as possible. Absolutely! I'm glad we were able to clear zis up.

OT: That's crazy anyhow. Everyone knows Japan used the first giant robot and that we used our first nuclear strike to put it down.

Ah Victoria, forever the punchline to the real state: New South Wales.

Ed130:

TimeLord:

Sorry it really is a Marauder (or a derivative) from Battletech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder_II

Zentradi Officer pod?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook