Exam Screw-Up Implies Giant Robots Took Part in the Russian Revolution

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Grey Carter:
The spokesman didn't confirm or deny whether future exams would explore the role of the T-800 in the assassination of Leon Trotsky and Joseph Stalin's rise to power

Now that's just crazy talk, Grey. Trotsky wasn't assassinated until decades after Stalin rose to power.

SnakeoilSage:
I thought it was a Warhammer 40,000 pic when I first saw it. Commissars...

That's because a lot of 40k's art deliberately homages historical art.

ResonanceSD:
Ah Victoria, forever the punchline to the real state: New South Wales.

Does YOUR history have anachronistic Communist mecha?
Victoria 1, NSW 0.

Ed130:

TimeLord:
That large machine in the background looks suspiciously like an Imperial Titan!

Sorry it really is a Marauder (or a derivative) from Battletech.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marauder_II

Wrong Marauder guy. The one in the pic doesn't have wings.

wulf3n:

Ed130:

TimeLord:

Zentradi Officer pod?

No, no and no, guys that is common misconception- there were no mechs in Russian empire
That picture was totally fake- Nikolai Kochergin was nowhere near that battle
Also he wasn't exactly expert on military gear, so yeah, he mostly made stuff up

Most russian historians have agreed that suits russian soldiers used had more common with power armor than with mechs
Although in defense of few nutcases who support "mech theory", those suits were in between power armor and mechs
See things is that those suits weren't big enough to be categorized as mechs, also they had no cockpit
On the other hand these suits were too big for proper power armor
But like I said most historians agree that these suits should be categorized as power armor (place for one man only, they were mostly worn, with minor piloting, etc.)
They pretty much resembled Wolverine units from C&C:TS

Later when soviets took over they stopped power armor development in favor of jet tanks

And your welcome ;)

Also- Leon Trotsky was assassinated by T-800?
Really? Where do you got that insane theory?
Does american education system is so degraded that people don't know even obvious historical facts?
For the last time- Leonid Trotsky was deadly injured in 21 August 1940 in Mexico by an ice-axe wielding T-850, NOT T-800
Dammit I'm sick of correcting this mistake.

wulf3n:
Zentradi Officer pod?

Yep, same design. Back in the day FASA acquired rights to use the designs, but there were question as to whether the company they bought them from had the rights in the first place. This put Harmony Gold and FASA into a bunch of legal disputes and a bunch of mechs are now known as "unseen" in BattleTech circles. Unseen because you're allowed to call them by name, use the stats and what not, but you just can't show the actual design.

Honestly, there are times when I think we should alter what the history books say for the good of future generations.

This is one such time.

Starke:

And now I know. And knowing is half the battle!

SnakeoilSage:

Starke:

And now I know. And knowing is half the battle!

Bolters is the other half.

soren7550:

Loop Stricken:

Gearhead mk2:
SOMEONE MAKE A GAME OUT OF THIS RIGHT NOW! TO KICKSTARTER!

I believe something very similar was already made, but it was set in the American Midwest, and sucked quite badly.

I think I know what you're talking about. A WWI game with mechs by Double Fine or something like that?

You are thinking of Iron brigade(formally Trenched). And actually it's post WWI; close enough though.

Why aren't there more giant robots in history? I demand more giant robots with my history.

Gold374:

ResonanceSD:

Victoria 1, NSW 0.

No, but our history classes aren't derided XD

New. South. Wales.

Our lions aren't just for show.

Geez, I'm amazed someone actually missed the point of that picture! ...Though it would make history a lot more interesting...

Ed130:

Vie:
This would make a great Dr Who plot.

Think about it: Companion convinces the Doctor to show them St Petersburg, he messes up the timing and arrives during the storming of the winterpalace. With Mechs.

I'll watch that.

Then again I'll watch almost anything with giant robots in it.

You had me at "Dr Who plot".

ResonanceSD:

Gold374:

ResonanceSD:

Victoria 1, NSW 0.

No, but our history classes aren't derided XD

New. South. Wales.

Oi, no Victoria Vs New South Wales pissing contests... some of us get our drinking water from the Murray.

well this remonds me of the time when pedobear got among the london olympics mascots and all media picked it up and used it, and you had pedobear as "official olimpic mascot". guess even mecha warriors need their 5 mintues of fame.

blackrave:

they stopped power armor development in favor of jet tanks

you just won the internet

This is just like that time the Japanese first used Gundams in WWII. We had to counter them with Metal Gear Peacewalker.

Akalabeth:

Ed130:

TimeLord:

It was the cleanest Marauder pic I could find on the wiki. the rest had even bigger issues (foward profile, missing the top mounted cannon etc).

But you are right, the design looks like a standard Marauder rather than the Mark II pic I used.

wulf3n:

Ed130:

TimeLord:

Zentradi Officer pod?

Both.

The Marauder is considered "unseen" due to legal disputes, due to its close resemblance to a Zentradi Officer's Battle Pod (Roiquonmi Glaug Battle Pod).

http://information2share.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/robots-robots-and-robots-part-1/
(scroll down a bit to find the image)

Russians and mechs.

Can't get anymore badass than this.

the pic sort of reminded me of warhammer 40k

Loop Stricken:

Gearhead mk2:

I believe something very similar was already made, but it was set in the American Midwest, and sucked quite badly.

Do you mean Damnation or Gettysburg: Armored Warfare?

But yeah, I'm in agreement that that is a Zentradi Officer pod. Clearly they were hoping to sow discord on Earth by backing the overthrow of the Tsarist autocracy so that they may recover the SDF-1 Macross at a later date with little to no resistance as we were at each other's throats.

Ed130:

Akalabeth:

Ed130:

It was the cleanest Marauder pic I could find on the wiki. the rest had even bigger issues (foward profile, missing the top mounted cannon etc).

But you are right, the design looks like a standard Marauder rather than the Mark II pic I used.

sarna.net?
You miss this one?

Note the Marauder II also has jump jets behind the legs, which are not visible in the painting's silhouette.

The reason the people making the test didn't notice it is actually because we've had giant battlemechs in Australia for ages, so it didn't stand out as being particularly odd.
It's just now that foreigners are seeing it that it's been noticed.

Akalabeth:

Ed130:

Akalabeth:

sarna.net?
You miss this one?

Note the Marauder II also has jump jets behind the legs, which are not visible in the painting's silhouette.

Would have been my first choice bar the tiled flooring that's supposed to be the ground in that image.

Vie:
This would make a great Dr Who plot.

Think about it: Companion convinces the Doctor to show them St Petersburg, he messes up the timing and arrives during the storming of the winterpalace. With Mechs.

they already got an episode with a giant wooden Cyber-man walking over victorian london

V8 Ninja:
As for my opinion; I now want a WWII game with mechs. GIMME, JAPAN!!!

If you're into miniatures games, there is DUST Tactics. I should probe my friends, see if they'd be interested cause I like the idea as well, just don't want to sink money into something that I won't get to play (looks at my BattleFleet Gothic miniatures. Come on guys, it's giant spaceships and the rules were free!)

Edit: I was just flicking through the various expansion packs, and they have Nazi Gorillas. Oh my, SCIENCE! FTW!

A mecha storming the Winter Palace? Pfff... That's nothing. Everybody knows that the main force of the bolsheviks were Lenin's loyal Adeptus Sovieticus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sergesegal/8057146372/sizes/l/in/set-72157631693601435/

I don't know about you guys, but I might've actually done Modern History if it included 'mechs.

Bolt Gundam is now IRL canon.
Go go Neo Russia!

Slycne:

wulf3n:
Zentradi Officer pod?

Yep, same design. Back in the day FASA acquired rights to use the designs, but there were question as to whether the company they bought them from had the rights in the first place. This put Harmony Gold and FASA into a bunch of legal disputes and a bunch of mechs are now known as "unseen" in BattleTech circles. Unseen because you're allowed to call them by name, use the stats and what not, but you just can't show the actual design.

To quote many many people "Fuck harmony gold"

The 'reseen' versions of most mechs looks like utter shit.

OT: I wish history was that interesting, but sadly we still haven't developed walking killing machines!

Yes. Good. Now give me more. Someone start an alternate universe timeline. I want more. NOW.

V8 Ninja:
Assuming the industry is still on the "7 Out Of 10 Is Average" scoreboard, I never understood why the Sonic Rider titles were generally disliked. Granted, the games weren't anything special and Sonic Free Riders was apparently one of the worse games of 2010 by a lot of people, but the other two titles (Riders and Zero Gravity) were alright racers which kept the developed concepts of Sonic, even if those concepts included the introduction of more stupid characters and the over-emphasis on "Coolness".

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT I MIXED UP BROWSER TABS!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Red

Closest you're gonna get. I think its even on the Playstation store now

Gearhead mk2:

+1, I'd play that.

TIMESWORDSMAN:
It could be an online game set in alternate history Russia.

A mix between Singularity, Timeshift and Metro 2033 would be a good starting point.

V8 Ninja:
Assuming the industry is still on the "7 Out Of 10 Is Average" scoreboard, I never understood why the Sonic Rider titles were generally disliked. Granted, the games weren't anything special and Sonic Free Riders was apparently one of the worse games of 2010 by a lot of people, but the other two titles (Riders and Zero Gravity) were alright racers which kept the developed concepts of Sonic, even if those concepts included the introduction of more stupid characters and the over-emphasis on "Coolness".

EDIT: GOD DAMN IT I MIXED UP BROWSER TABS!!!

Get someone to make a Gearkriege video game adaptation.

http://www.dp9.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92&Itemid=75

Ed130:

Would have been my first choice bar the tiled flooring that's supposed to be the ground in that image.

Uh, it's a "ground plane" established by perspective lines. Not tiled flooring.
Though I understand your criticism.

ResonanceSD:

Which is why Melbourne finished higher than Sydney in the "most livable city" surveys. How are those housing prices working out for you?

I couldn't be more proud of my state right now. I could be biased though; I've had an axe to grind against VTAC for almost 20 years now over my Year 12 English exam.

*deleted*

Damn it! Those robots were supposed to be a secret for Protocol Red Sun! Who's the rat?!

Ehm... Forget about that. They're... Modernist garden decorations. Yeah.

Let's hope Michael Bay doesn't get wind of this. Or we'll no doubt get an Aurora battlecruiser/transformer character, chugging robo-vodka and talking (vrooming?) disjointedly about the Motherland.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here