GTA V Trailer Offers A Look at Antihero Trio

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GTA V Trailer Offers A Look at Antihero Trio

Get to know the three gentlemen who will be taking over Los Santos.

After some unfortunate hurricane-related setbacks, Rockstar has released the second trailer for the upcoming Grant Theft Auto V. It's been over a year since the first trailer gave us a look at modern day Los Santos, the pseudo-Los Angeles last seen in San Andreas. This time around, we're treated to a more personal view of the game's trio of protagonists and the shenanigans they'll undoubtedly be up to.

The trailer starts out on the same middle-aged "family man" who narrated the debut trailer. It seems his plans to retire and live a quiet life don't go quite as smoothly as he'd hoped (surprise, surprise). One of the other main characters appears to be Trevor Philips, who the first guy identifies as his "best friend." Trevor's an aggressive, short-tempered trafficker of guns and meth, and he doesn't seem to mind taking a hands-on approach to beating the competition. The other protagonist is a young man named Franklin, who looks like he's new to the city and is dubbed "the son I always wanted" by the first protagonist.

The rest of the trailer is filled with action and Rockstar's trademark black humor. Special mention goes to the relationship between Mr. Family Man and his son James, whose death-defying antics will probably be the basis for at least one or two missions. Trevor's casual delivery of, "I'll swing by and sign the contracts, just...ignore the bodies," is already painting a pretty good picture of what his character will shape up to be.

The game is slated to release sometime in spring of 2013.

Watch the bit between 0.50 to 0.53, what's the car?

It's a GTA version of an Aston Martin DB5.

Just for that, ignoring how much I enjoyed the rest of that trailer, I know I'm going to love this game.

That seemed... very charming actually. I'm definitely a bit more interested now.

Looks like it'll be more like GTA IV, but with more charm. And thank god for some more colour.

And please please please make a proper PC port.

I'm now totally eager for this game. O_O

Gotta love Rockstar. This looks to be more of the excellence of GTA IV. Count me in.

Still though, this isn't a very informative trailer in regards to visuals and gameplay because there's simply no way in hell this was shot on an Xbox. I wish Devs would stop doing that. We're not that stupid.

Jesus, that just so fucking...generic. Two middle-aged guys that are whiter than paper and a token thug.

Looking good so far, huge improvement on the lighting, lots of humor and car chases...I dig it. What is up with Rockstar and faces though? These guys really have a hard time with character faces, they look leathery and loose like if the skin is hanging off of the bones or something, very strange.

What is that? The GTA series learned to have fun with itself again for the duration of a trailer?
Oh my, i might be interested in this now.

I want to say more, but all I can say is: AWESOME! It looks great (cartoonish still, but great), has nice characters, beautiful landscapes, action, freeroam, lots of stuff (I hope) to do... hope it will get A DECENT PC PORT! maybe even a release on the same date as the XBOX version.

matrix3509:
Jesus, that just so fucking...generic. Two middle-aged guys that are whiter than paper and a token thug.

Which makes it all the more hilarious that in another GTA V thread, some guy was arguing with others, saying that out of the three, only one was white and the other two were Hispanic, saying that the black guy was dark faced Hispanic. Clearly, the black guy is a black guy.

To your comment though, I will say that there is something a little different with the balding guy that makes him seem not as generic as the the other two.(And no, I'm not making a bald joke of some sort.)

Sonic Doctor:

matrix3509:

Which makes it all the more hilarious that in another GTA V thread, some guy was arguing with others, saying that out of the three, only one was white and the other two were Hispanic, saying that the black guy was dark faced Hispanic. Clearly, the black guy is a black guy.

To your comment though, I will say that there is something a little different with the balding guy that makes him seem not as generic as the the other two.(And no, I'm not making a bald joke of some sort.)

The balding guy just looks like almost a straight ripoff of Lynch from Kane & Lynch. If the Houser brothers are so starved for ideas that they are ripping off characters from Kane & Lynch of all fucking things, they are even worse at their jobs than I've ever suspected.

"bounce?...were bouncing now?!"

that sold me, I love the trailer.
It looks really promising, the characters look interesting.
I don't care whether the setup of characters is generic or whatever, especially since all combinations have been done before, just focus on making the characters work.

Meh...
Can't say I'm interested.

Sonic Doctor:

matrix3509:

I was just thinking that, guess there are no Hispanic protagonists in this game.
Worth a laugh.

Sweet Jesus.

I hate to say this, but it looks... fun. It looks like Rockstar might have redeemed themselves after the disappointment that was GTA IV. Now to be fair, I loved the expansions to GTA IV, it was just the main game that was disappointing.

I'll certainly be paying attention to this in the future.

neonsword13-ops:
Sweet Jesus.

I hate to say this, but it looks... fun. It looks like Rockstar might have redeemed themselves after the disappointment that was GTA IV. Now to be fair, I loved the expansions to GTA IV, it was just the main game that was disappointing.

how was gta 4 a disspointment

was a serious narrative to big for you little boy pants

because from what they have divulged this will be more of the same

i suggest you get ready for more big boy pants narrative

or play saints row

The Tall Nerd:

neonsword13-ops:
Sweet Jesus.

or play saints row

One thing is having a serious story line and another is being completly unfun and grey.

The Tall Nerd:

neonsword13-ops:
Sweet Jesus.

or play saints row

I liked GTA IV's story. It was nice and gritty, but I was expecting it to be a bit more, I don't know, humorous and crazy like San Andreas and Vice City.

Also, the gameplay felt repetitive. Too repetitive for my tastes, anyway.

And who's to say that I can't like GTA and Saint's Row equally? They're both great games but deserve to be judged on their own merits.

neonsword13-ops:

The Tall Nerd:

neonsword13-ops:
Sweet Jesus.

or play saints row

I liked GTA IV's story. It was nice and gritty, but I was expecting it to be a bit more, I don't know, humorous and crazy like San Andreas and Vice City.
hr
Also, the gameplay felt repetitive. Too repetitive for my tastes, anyway.

And who's to say that I can't like GTA and Saint's Row equally? They're both great games but deserve to be judged on their own merits.

oh thank god
my comment was more in jest though i had actuall stance
and the intrenet doesent have tone technology yet so i cant convey that really well

anyways i like gta 4 for what it was
also i didn't expect anything too crazy
because unlike vice city (crappy story) and san andreas ( good story) there isnt much you can work with , with wide open spaces.

its new York basically its crowded and has buildings

l3o2828:

The Tall Nerd:

neonsword13-ops:
Sweet Jesus.

or play saints row

One thing is having a serious story line and another is being completly unfun and grey.

>gta4
>unfun

pick one please

especially the part where i had to fricken chase down and kill down a homephobe on a fricken moped of the whim of some gay dude
or when i chased down and shot the guy in the golf carts in the ballad of gay tony

Mcoffey:
this isn't a very informative trailer in regards to visuals and gameplay because there's simply no way in hell this was shot on an Xbox. I wish Devs would stop doing that. We're not that stupid.

Well, it could have only been on an xbox or a PS3; as there is no PC port on launch. Since the visual fidelity gap between the 360 and PS3 is very slight, one can assume that the game on xbox will look like this. Also, on most trailers, there is a disclaimer saying something along the lines of "Images taken ingame from PC, this is not representative of console versions".

It definitely looks more colourful and entertaining than GTA IV but I could barely get a grasp on how I feel about the trio after a 2 minute trailer.

The Great Purtabo:

Mcoffey:
this isn't a very informative trailer in regards to visuals and gameplay because there's simply no way in hell this was shot on an Xbox. I wish Devs would stop doing that. We're not that stupid.

Well, it could have only been on an xbox or a PS3; as there is no PC port on launch. Since the visual fidelity gap between the 360 and PS3 is very slight, one can assume that the game on xbox will look like this. Also, on most trailers, there is a disclaimer saying something along the lines of "Images taken ingame from PC, this is not representative of console versions".

Not necessarily. Just look at most of the stuff they demo at E3, which were being run on PCs. They were console games. I dont doubt that it will look nice, but stuff like this is just misleading.

I actually don't want another humorous and crazy story, I have Saints Row for that now. If you ask me, I would like the game to focus on giving us an interesting and well written adventure, instead of a crazy ass shoot 'em up. If they can do both, fantastic.

As good as that trailer looked on many levels (mainly it seems like things have gone back to the more silly tone of the pre-GTA IV games, hey I still like IV but more silly is VERY good) I can't help but say... Was- was that an Aston Martin DB5 (or the fake in-game version at any rate) ??? I can finally accurately do what I always do in GTA and pretend I'm James Bond??? I love you Rockstar! More than words can say!!

Captcha: new york city
No captcha, that was the last one. Silly captcha.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll still be disappointed if they don't bring back JETPACKS!

Mcoffey:

The Great Purtabo:

Mcoffey:

Not necessarily. Just look at most of the stuff they demo at E3, which were being run on PCs. They were console games. I dont doubt that it will look nice, but stuff like this is just misleading.

You may be right in regards to games which are actually released on PC, but we are talking about this specific game. The games that don't have PC ports do not use PC to display the game because it doesn't run in an optimized manner on PC. I will concede if you list some examples of console exclusives run on PC's at shows; but I do not believe there are any.

One thing...

Hilariously bad voice acting.

Vie:
Watch the bit between 0.50 to 0.53, what's the car?

It's a GTA version of an Aston Martin DB5.

Just for that, ignoring how much I enjoyed the rest of that trailer, I know I'm going to love this game.

San Andreas had a Jaguar E-Type called a Windsor. I bet it's GTAV's version of that.

OT: Seriously looking forward to this. Been waiting for that trailer for way too long.

The Great Purtabo:

Mcoffey:

The Great Purtabo:

You may be right in regards to games which are actually released on PC, but we are talking about this specific game. The games that don't have PC ports do not use PC to display the game because it doesn't run in an optimized manner on PC. I will concede if you list some examples of console exclusives run on PC's at shows; but I do not believe there are any.

That's a good point. However the game is being built on computers; it's not too hard to imagine them prettying up some sections with higher res textures and 60 fps for the trailers. It gets even easier when we consider that a PC port is likely, considering every game they've developed has been ported to the PC eventually.

Still though, you may be right. Goodness knows I've been wrong before.

Guys, no one is gonna mention the DOGS!?

Better add some text just in case. I loved the trailer, seems like everyone forgets that GTA IV was fun, what it wasn't was Outlandish like San Andreas were.

Looks pretty entertaining, a little crazier like the older games. Anyone remember "Damnation! No Donation, No Salvation!" or "Shotgun!"??

Anyways, I hope R* decides to release this title on PC. RDR was fucking genius, I'm glad I had a chance to play through it on a buddy's 360. PC players who haven't missed out big time.

Very nice lighting effects too...textures are muddy as shit though.

Earthfield:
Seems like everyone forgets that GTA IV was fun...

Because GTA4 is old hat, we're all hipster now, and this is the next big thing.
Perhaps the irony in that is too much for you.

Don't worry, though, everyone late to the party will be sure to know how we were there first and got over it once the plebs showed up.

~Oh yeah...

"grandpa hat"

A psychopath, a snitch, and an ex-con walk into a bar...

denseWorm:
One thing...

Hilariously bad voice acting.

A GTA staple.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: