Mysterious Phone Lures CliffyB Towards Ubisoft

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mysterious Phone Lures CliffyB Towards Ubisoft

Former Epic Games developer Cliff Bleszinski has received a mysterious cell phone, apparently from Ubisoft.

Early last month, Cliff Bleszinski left Epic Games to actually live life as a person who isn't a game developer. As he said at the time, "I literally grew up in this business." It doesn't seem he's ready to give up game design yet, as Bleszinski joked late last month that Capcom should call him, saying "We can fix Resident Evil together." Capcom UK Joked back, saying "bring Pizza." Today, however, another developer is apparently trying to get CliffyB on board - or at least invite him to lunch. Bleszinski tweeted early morning Paris time, where he is apparently vacationing, that he received a cell phone with an Ubisoft background and a single programmed number. When Twitter users asked if he was joking, he posted a photo of the phone.

There's no knowing what conversation might have happened, or if Ubisoft will ask for CliffyB to join up, but we do know they're going to dinner. For his part, Bleszinski said he was going to call them up and let them know:

That's a fair thing for Bleszinski to say, because he has a proven ability to work with both existing intellectual properties, and perhaps more importantly, create successful ones from the ground up. For my part, I'm ready for Assassin's Creed with chainsaws.

Source: Twitter

"Skills that make me an asset for people like you," doesn't exactly sound like inviting words. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

EDIT: I see you deal in Taken quotes, Cliffy B. Well-played.

That is easily the sketchiest way of trying to set up a business meeting that I've ever heard of.

You know, maybe Ubisoft isn't trying to hire him. Maybe they just kidnapped his daughter...

That seems like a pretty sketchy way to try and hire somebody.

Incoming CliffyB hate and moaning about how he's going to ruin everything Ubisoft publishes.

V8 Ninja:
"Skills that make me an asset for people like you," doesn't exactly sound like inviting words. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

I swear to god that I've Heard that quote "Skills that make me an asset for people like you," Somewhere before, in either a movie, a book, or a videogame. but i cant remember where!

Captcha: Carry on
I really wish you would let me Captcha, i really do.

What do Ubisoft and the federal government have in common?
They both appear to be headed toward a physical Cliff!

Raiyan 1.0:
Incoming CliffyB hate and moaning about how he's going to ruin everything Ubisoft publishes.

It's CliffyB+Ubisoft we're talking about here. So it'll be more like puking on a pile of shit.

BUT SERIOUSLY

This is an incredibly bizarre way to set up a business meeting. It might not pan out to anything in the end, but I do wonder in the case that it does; what would they put him to work on?

I think out of everything Ubisoft is working on, Splinter Cell is perhaps the most fucked. I wonder if Cliffy thinks he can fix that. Although I can see him working on Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon moreso.

Quazimofo:

V8 Ninja:

I swear to god that I've Heard that quote "Skills that make me an asset for people like you," Somewhere before, in either a movie, a book, or a videogame. but i cant remember where!

Captcha: Carry on
I really wish you would let me Captcha, i really do.

It's from a movie 'Taken'. Albeit slightly modified to suit the scenario.

They sent him a Blackberry? Lol!
That means "I had 10 buck to spend on marketing, and we're totally just trolling!"

V8 Ninja:

...It's a reference to the movie Taken. He didn't just make the quote up to give Ubisoft an indirect insult.

Tohuvabohu:

Raiyan 1.0:

It's CliffyB+Ubisoft we're talking about here. So it'll be more like puking on a pile of shit.

But... but... Ubisoft makes Trackmania. And they promised us Beyond Good & Evil 2. If we buy enough Rayman games. :(

And Cliffy made Jazz Jackrabbit. While Nintendo had Mario and Sega had Sonic, PC gamers had Jazz Jackrabbit. :D

Raiyan 1.0:
And they promised us Beyond Good & Evil 2.

My brain just took a sharp left turn and... well, suffice to say, the end scenario it presented me with involved a camera with mounted chainsaw.

HardRockSamurai:
That is easily the sketchiest way of trying to set up a business meeting that I've ever heard of.

I once tried to get a job at Ubisoft by throwing a brick with a resume wrapped around it through the window of one of their executives. I have a feeling they got the idea from me.

Kopikatsu:

V8 Ninja:

...It's a reference to the movie Taken. He didn't just make the quote up to give Ubisoft an indirect insult.

I see. Thanks for the clarification! It makes this story slightly more interesting.

This could wind up being some of the best news the Industry has seen in a while; the business side of it, anyway. And lord knows the Game Industry could use some good news for a change.

HardRockSamurai:

You know, maybe Ubisoft isn't trying to hire him. Maybe they just kidnapped his daughter...

maybe removed her hands with chainsaws?

Raiyan 1.0:

Tohuvabohu:

Raiyan 1.0:

But... but... Ubisoft makes Trackmania. And they promised us Beyond Good & Evil 2. If we buy enough Rayman games. :(

And Cliffy made Jazz Jackrabbit. While Nintendo had Mario and Sega had Sonic, PC gamers had Jazz Jackrabbit. :D

I agree. The recent Rayman Origns has lifted a little bit of the blight I see on Ubisoft. Though, BG&E 2 should only ever be in the hands of Michel Ancel. Keep Cliffy B faaaaar away from it.

He has had a long successful career, but I'm not a particularly huge fan. Also, Jazz Jackrabbit is not even really a blip on games, I wish people would stop bringing that up as if it's anything as popular or as known as Mario or Sonic. I always wish him and his the best, but I seriously wish Ubi$hit would die in a fire.

He hates PC gamers too so he'll fit right in.

I suppose this finally answers the age old question of "but who was phone"

Zaik:
I suppose this finally answers the age old question of "but who was phone"

Gosh darnit you beat me to it!

I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Redstorm. The studio is a couple minute drive from Epic.

Adam Jensen:

Haha well done sir! You think with all these companies looking to court him, he'll actually stay retired for awhile?

shiajun:

I agree. The recent Rayman Origns has lifted a little bit of the blight I see on Ubisoft. Though, BG&E 2 should only ever be in the hands of Michel Ancel. Keep Cliffy B faaaaar away from it.

Don't worry, Ancel is still on BG&E2. Apparently he's been a little too busy with Rayman games to move forward with the sequel, if Ubisoft is to be believed.

Adam Jensen:

But Ubisoft got rid of their draconian DRM (and saw over 50% spike in digital sales). And CliffyB told indie developers to make games exclusively for the PC - and to never jump to consoles for their cutthroat deals.

Raiyan 1.0:

I think Ubisoft do that well enough by themselves.

Back on topic though, this is the perfect example of slumming it. He couldn't do worse if he went to a crappy match-three game publisher.

Zachary Amaranth:

HardRockSamurai:

I once tried to get a job at Ubisoft by throwing a brick with a resume wrapped around it through the window of one of their executives. I have a feeling they got the idea from me.

My sister works in advertising, and she knows people who've tried that stunt (and weirder!) to get jobs at top agencies. In such a competitive industry, just getting noticed is tough enough.

The best one she's heard of was a guy who printed his portfolio onto business cards and put them inside a wallet labelled with the name of the head of the ad agency he wanted to work for. He then got into that agency's building and left the wallet in the toilets. A random employee found the wallet and - seeing the name inside - assumed it belonged to the head of the agency, so gave it to him.

The guy didn't get a job offer, but he was complimented on the stunt.

HardRockSamurai:

Somehow it feels like they might merely be matching their methods to the person. You don't get a crazy on board by being boring.

Adam Jensen:

*Remembers Ubisoft getting rid of their DLC*

*Remembers Cliffy B creating Unreal Tournament, on of the best PC shooters of its time*

Right.....hates PC gamers...

Captcha:okey-dokey

MetalMagpie:

My sister works in advertising, and she knows people who've tried that stunt (and weirder!) to get jobs at top agencies. In such a competitive industry, just getting noticed is tough enough.

I was being facetious, but I'm not entirely surprised.

AzrealMaximillion:

*Remembers Cliffy B creating Unreal Tournament, on of the best PC shooters of its time*

Well, since past sentiments prove exactly what you think now and negate more recent events, you've totally proven him wrong.

Zachary Amaranth:

MetalMagpie:

I was being facetious, but I'm not entirely surprised.

I was pretty amazed myself to find out that the resume-wrapped-around-brick-hurled-through-window stunt is an actual thing people do! Software development is not that competitive (or maybe just not that crazy...)

JonB:
For my part, I'm ready for Assassin's Creed with chainsaws.

That's exactly what Assassin's Creed was missing: chainsaw-wielding space marines and cover-based shooting.

Zachary Amaranth:

AzrealMaximillion:

Well, since past sentiments prove exactly what you think now and negate more recent events, you've totally proven him wrong.

Sorry, I don't cherry pick reasons to hate CliffyB. That would be like ignoring most of Shigeru Miyamoto's career to hate on him for Wii Music and Wii Fit.

I'm looking at Cliify B's entire career. Most of it is on the PC, even Bulletstorm. And Most of his work is great. I'm not like a lot of people on this site who chose to hate him solely based on Gears of War. That's just petty.

Let's be honest this man has not actually done anything that great for gaming outside being able to hype up games but lets face it Peter Molyneux was way better at that job.

A Blackberry? Don't want him enough to send a good phone?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here