Kixeye Countersuit Gives Zynga Both Barrels

Kixeye Countersuit Gives Zynga Both Barrels

The War Commander studio has responded to Zynga's trade secrets lawsuit with a blistering "cross-complaint."

The legal dust-up between Kixeye and Zynga began in October when Zynga filed suit against the former general manager of its popular CityVille, who left the company in August to take a position at Kixeye. Zynga claimed that Alan Patmore stole some of its "most valuable and confidential information" about game development before he left, which he presumably turned over to his new bosses, and also questioned Kixeye's "relevance in the online social gaming community" in the process.

That elicited some harsh words from Kixeye CEO Will Harbin, but now the company has filed a complaint of its own against Zynga and if anything, it's even more fire-breathing. "While Kixeye prides itself on producing original, creative works, Zynga is notorious for copying and cloning the games of its competition, often trampling on those competitors' intellectual property rights in the process," the suit says. "To the extent that Zynga has any kind of 'playbook,' there is only one play inside and it is no secret - relentless and shameless copying of its competitors' games."

The Kixeye complaint claims that Zynga is pressing ahead with its lawsuit despite Patmore's cooperation and a lack of forensic evidence that any trade secrets were shared in order to "send a message" to other employees who might be thinking about jumping ship, and also to "gain access to Kixeye's own confidential, valuable information and trade secrets and bog Kixeye down in the wasted time and expense of litigation while Zynga tries to enter the midcore market."

"Their illustrious history of using their legal department to exploit and slander competitors that they can't otherwise out-perform is well documented. We will not stand for it," Harbin said in a statement. "We will fight to our last breath to keep this predatory company from accessing our confidential information and best practices. We intend to defend ourselves from Zynga's legal bullying for as long as it takes to reveal the truth -- that Kixeye played no part in this. As we have stated previously, we have zero interest in Zynga's IP or 'trade secrets.' Our games are categorically different from theirs in almost every way. Claiming that their failed business practices could inform ours further establishes their complete lack of understanding of the gaming business."

Kixeye is seeking a ruling against Zynga prohibiting its use of litigation to interfere with its business relations, including the right to recruit Zynga employees, and also restitution, legal fees and "such other and further relief as the Court may deem just and proper." A copy of the full complaint in PDF format is available here.

Heck yes. Go get 'em, boys.

What is a company? *wine glass shatters* A miserable little pile of rip-offs! But enough talk... HAVE AT YOU!

Kixeye's logo is a knight piece from chess with a unicorn horn.
Fun fact: In most accepted forms of 3D chess, a unicorn is often used to represent a piece which can travel triagonally through the corners of cube spaces, e.g. from Be2 to Cd3.
...I don't know what this means in relation to Kixeye and Zynga, I just saw the logo and felt like sharing.

Jailbird408:
Kixeye's logo is a knight piece from chess with a unicorn horn.
Fun fact: In most accepted forms of 3D chess, a unicorn is often used to represent a piece which can travel triagonally through the corners of cube spaces, e.g. from Be2 to Cd3.
...I don't know what this means in relation to Kixeye and Zynga, I just saw the logo and felt like sharing.

OT: It's been fun these last few months to watch Zynga's house of lies and bullshit come crumbling down around it. Even better is that its downfall seems to be causing Facebook some trouble at the same time. I've got no grudge against social games by the way; I just like watching all their shady business practices coming back to bite them in the ass.

DVS BSTrD:
What is a company? *wine glass shatters* A miserable little pile of rip-offs! But enough talk... HAVE AT YOU!

I gotcha, ol' bean.

Have to say, I hope Kixeye sticks that unicorn horn straight up Zynga's unoriginal, uncreative, intelligently bankrupt asshole...and then watch Alucard teleport over to triple fireball their screaming shell of a soulless company.

At that point, I shall hover over the scene, spiritual form like, and speak into Zynga's collective mind (or what's left of it at that point):

"Count Kixeye has come to purify your corrupt company...with the searing flames of chaos!"

fight! fight! fight! fight! fight! fight! fight! fight! fight!

may the best company be the winner.

Evil Smurf:

Soooooo....MAD, then?

Andy Chalk:
...Zynga claimed that Alan Patmore stole some of its "most valuable and confidential information" about game development before he left...

It's a miracle that Kixeye could even have the breath left to counter-sue after the whole company was undoubtedly rolling on the floor laughing about Zynga's claim that blatant copying is 'Game Development'!

Andy Chalk:
..."Zynga is notorious for copying and cloning the games of its competition, often trampling on those competitors' intellectual property rights in the process," the suit says. "To the extent that Zynga has any kind of 'playbook,' there is only one play inside and it is no secret - relentless and shameless copying of its competitors' games."...

Yeah; that's Zynga in a nutshell. Wring 'em out Kixeye! Just don't get in the way of EA's wringing...

Vulpis:

Evil Smurf:

Soooooo....MAD, then?

I'm hoping Gaben is the winner.

I bet Zynga never thought that a small company like Kixeye would one day be pissing on their corpse.

You will take the unicorn horn up the behind AND LIKE IT, Zynga.

... and there went the lawyer cannons. It's just like monkeys in adjacent cages, except with more poop-flinging.

Never heard of Kixeye before, so I googled them, went to their website and laughed my ass off.

http://www.kixeye.com/#/en/lobby

Best website design EVER!

Apparently they just make Facebook games, but there's also this video from them:

These guys... I don't even know what to think of that video, but everyone should watch that. Watch it now!

Hero in a half shell:
Never heard of Kixeye before, so I googled them, went to their website and laughed my ass off.

Apparently they just make Facebook games, but there's also this video from them:

These guys... I don't even know what to think of that video, but everyone should watch that. Watch it now!

Ok, that website and the video are just awesome. Im not even sure what games they make, they have my support just from those.

selce:
-snip-

They have their own company crest in the jobs section:

Also go back on the website and click on the "PRESS" button in the top hotbar. DO IT!

Hero in a half shell:

o.0

that is the single most awesome 'publisher site' i've ever seen.

and that video, fucking. BRILLIANT! and pretty accurate of the companys its making fun of...

GO KIXEYE! your awesome website and video have impressed me, thus i hope you win!

Paul Preece, their Creative Executive, is the same guy behind Desktop Tower Defense, a very decent TD flash-based game.

Maybe if enough stones are thrown at Zynga's glass house they will be no more in 2013!

I find it very appropriate that Zynga's logo is an aggressive bulldog and Kixeye's logo is a knight.

Kixeye just got about a 5000 fold increase in page hits.

MahouSniper:
I find it very appropriate that Zynga's logo is an aggressive bulldog and Kixeye's logo is a knight.

Kixeuye's knight looks fucking pissed though

That was a fucking scathing countersuit. This should be a fun one.

Hero in a half shell:

Not gonna lie, that was awesome. This is what a company's ads should look like. Don't force them on people, make them want to go see them.

Arright, I want a rap battle made of this and I want it now. Get on it, internet.

DVS BSTrD:
What is a company? A miserable little pile of rip-offs! But enough talk... HAVE AT YOU!

Ah...ahhh....sarcasm. For what profit is it to a company if it gains a world of rip-offs but loses its own soul? EA 16:26, I believe...

Seriously though...how the fuck is Zynga still a thing?

Hero in a half shell:

selce:
-snip-

They have their own company crest in the jobs section:

Also go back on the website and click on the "PRESS" button in the top hotbar. DO IT!

Dancing fucking unicorns.

Holy
Fucking
Shit

Well I know what I want when I grow up.

Kixeye today the enemy is at our door! We know our duty, and we will do it! We fight for our honour as ligitmate buisnessmen, as game developers, ahnd we fyte in tha nayme of tha empra!

Whoops, accent slipped. Seriously though, this is vicious stuff, I'm surprised they can go on record with it.

Zygna's decomposition is endlessly fascinating. I don't usually enjoy news of companies falling apart, but I have no sympathy for those who commit and profit off of so much creative theft.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here