Dark Knight's Bane Signs Up for New Splinter Cell Movie

Dark Knight's Bane Signs Up for New Splinter Cell Movie

The masked man who played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises switches to goggles in his upcoming role.

Tom Hardy, known for his roles in Inception and The Dark Knight Rises, has signed on for an upcoming Splinter Cell movie as none other than Sam Fisher himself.

The story of the gravel-voiced covert operative is the next Ubisoft intellectual property dressed up for the big screen, the first being the upcoming Assassin's Creed feature starring Michael Fassbender.

The film has not been officially set up at a studio as of writing; however, Ubisoft have since commenced discussions with Paramount and Warner Bros. The movie will be written by Eric Warren Singer, whose previous work includes the 2009 crime-mystery film The International (and an episode for 90s MTV animated series Aeon Flux).

CEO of Ubisoft Motion Pictures, Jean-Julien Baronnet, says that Hardy has a "phenomenal ability" to take on complex and varied roles, and is one of the biggest acting talents in the industry. "His involvement in the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell movie is exciting news for movie and videogame fans alike.

"Meanwhile, Eric Singer is one of the most talented writers of the moment, and ... we're confident he'll bring a fresh approach and create a thrilling story ... while still respecting all the codes and traditions of the franchise that are so important to fans," he says.

Source: Variety

See, now there's a choice I can get behind. Choosing someone of Tom's age for the game was insanely stupid, but he can pull off Sam Fisher here!

Playing a younger Sam Fisher? Yeah, Tom Hardy could pull it off.

But if they were going with the Conviction Era Sam, I'd just stick with Ironside.

I didn't even know I wanted this until now. Hardy may be young, but he's very talented. Personally, I'm more worried about the writer.

All throughout gaming, ever since the Super Mario Bros. days, people have moaned about movie adaptations, saying they'll never be any good. Even now, the only two franchises that most people can agree on as being at least enjoyable are Resident Evil (critically disliked but massively successful at the box office), and Silent Hill (probably the only franchise that has stayed true to the games while being divergent enough as well, and get critical and box office support).

And yet finally we're starting to see movies that actually show promise. Half Life had that short fan-film online, Escape From City 17 (which was awesome), Halo has had a full 90 minute film to tie in with Halo 4 (Forward Unto Dawn), and we've got big names attached to Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell - not just big name actors, but proven talented big name writers and directors too. And Ubisoft has experience in the short film market too with the amazing Assassin's Creed: Lineage.

Is it just me, then, or does anyone else see big things for the future of game adaptations and tie-ins in the realm of film?

again with the movie. i still remember in part 3 there was a trailer about a movie but never came out or more infos were announced.
anyway, sounds good to me. he is a good actor and im sure he will perform brilliantly. but he sounds very british. is he able to sound american?
i just hope the movie will not be too action driven. dint even bother to play part 4 and the rest since it really went over board with stealth and replaced with action.
but we will see. i sure will keep an eye on it.

The only thing I would be worried about with Hardy is if he can pull off the "Sam Fisher AKA Michael Ironside" voice, but if he can, things are looking good for it.

I'm doubtful of Tom Hardy's ability to pull it off.

Soviet Heavy:

But if they were going with the Conviction Era Sam, I'd just stick with Ironside.

Have you seen Ironside lately? He looks a bit past that sort of acting.

Trivun:
Silent Hill (probably the only franchise that has stayed true to the games while being divergent enough as well, and get critical and box office support).

They might have been commercially successful, but I don't think the Silent Hill movies were that critically well-received.

As for staying true to the games... not really. Unless you mean in art style and music, but in terms of story and characters it hasn't stayed true to the games.

Cyrus Hanley:

Soviet Heavy:

Trivun:
Silent Hill (probably the only franchise that has stayed true to the games while being divergent enough as well, and get critical and box office support).

They might have been commercially successful, but I don't think the Silent Hill movies were that critically well-received.

As for staying true to the games... not really. Unless you mean in art style and music, but in terms of story and characters it hasn't stayed true to the games.

actually, the producer of the first movie is a silent hill fan. he said in the making off that making a movie of a game is not easy. a movie is a movie and a game is a game.
he is right with that. you cant expect to have it 1:1 like the game. i still think the movie is not bad at all. if uwe boll would have made it.....yeah, lets not think about it.

Metalrocks:

Cyrus Hanley:

Soviet Heavy:

Trivun:

actually, the producer of the first movie is a silent hill fan. he said in the making off that making a movie of a game is not easy. a movie is a movie and a game is a game.
he is right with that. you cant expect to have it 1:1 like the game. i still think the movie is not bad at all. if uwe boll would have made it.....yeah, lets not think about it.

It still didn't stay true to the games.

I would pay to see Chaos Theory: The Motion Picture. I would not pay to see Blacklist: Sellout. Can't wait to find out which it is. And I'm interested to see what Mr. Hardy brings to the role.

Cyrus Hanley:

i know. just wanted to point out the words from the producer.

Metalrocks:

Cyrus Hanley:

i know. just wanted to point out the words from the producer.

I already knew. ;-)

I like Tom Hardy. And making a good action spy movie isn't that hard either. It would take a real talent to fuck up something as simple as Splinter Cell.

Heres hoping that "respecting all the codes and traditions of the franchise that are so important to fans" means mother fucking stealth and that its not in black and white haha

Nobody Cared who I was, until I put on the night vision goggles.

Adam Jensen:
I like Tom Hardy. And making a good action spy movie isn't that hard either. It would take a real talent to fuck up something as simple as Splinter Cell.

They did it for Conviction, and it looks like the trend is continuing into Blacklist.

OT:Eh. Never had a massive interest in Splinter Cell, and I'm not really a movies kind of guy. I guess it has potential though.

But Tom Hardy acts with his eyes! How would he act with his eyes covered by night vision goggles!

Looking forward to it. Sounds like Ubisoft could actually do something with game films; at least, I'd like to think so.

Michael Ironside isn't Sam? As much as I like Hardy, this won't be worth seeing without Mr Gravel Voice.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here