Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

Samuel L. Jackson is returning to host the tenth anniversary of the Spike VGAs.

It's easy to make fun of the sound and fury of the Spike Video Game Awards, packed as they are with product placements, "exclusive world premieres of highly anticipated titles" and Linkin Park. At the same time, it's the only show in town, as they say, and even this sort of tawdry mainstream attention is better than no attention at all. Right?

Leaving aside discussions about the relative merits of the VGAs, I present you with a list of some of the more prominent nominees. Most of them will be familiar and unsurprising, but there are a few unexpected twists here and there, such as the inclusion of Journey and The Walking Dead alongside Assassin's Creed 3, Dishonored and Mass Effect 3 for Game of the Year. On the other side of the coin, there's plenty of the usual silliness to be found too, like the separate categories for Best Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Game that include three of the same games plus one platform-specific title for each.

But enough of my complaining! Here's a look at some of the big categories on the board:

Game of the Year

• Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal)
  • Dishonored (Bethesda Softworks/Arkane Studios)
  • Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment/thatgamecompany)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
  • The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)

Best Action Adventure Game

• Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal)
  • Darksiders II (THQ/Vigil Games)
  • Dishonored (Bethesda Softworks/Arkane Studios)
  • Sleeping Dogs (Square Enix/United Front Games)

Best Shooter

• Borderlands 2 (2K Games/Gearbox Software)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision/Treyarch)
  • Halo 4 (Microsoft Studios/343 Industries)
  • Max Payne 3 (Rockstar Games)

Studio of the Year

• 343 Industries
  • Arkane Studios
  • Gearbox Software
  • Telltale Games

Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

• BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
  • The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
  • Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)

The 2012 Spike VGAs will be hosted by Samuel L. Jackson, who previously held the reins from 2005 through 2007, and will feature performances by Tenacious D and Medal of Honor house band Linkin Park. The whole thing goes down at 9 pm EST on December 7, on Spike, MTV 2 and MTV Tr3s, and will also stream live on Xbox Live, Spike.com and GameTrailers.com. A full list of categories and other relevant information can be found at Spike.com.

Why does Spike tv have their award show so early? I mean aren't a few more big games coming out at end of November and heading into December

Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect. You've got a point though Andy, it's the only game in town for proper TV recognition of the hobby, and I can't imagine why we should expect anything other than an equivalent to the Oscar's.

awesome to see the walking dead up there :D good on telltale games for the nomination its well earned and i hope they win

Best Shooter

• That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?

>Implying Spike VGAs aren't any more than commercials and that they actually matter

There's a consensus that we all just pretend this never happened, right?

Haha. Same as always. Just laugh about them. The Spike awards aren't meant for us, they are meant for the people watching Spike TV. Those two audiences don't overlap much.

The sad thing is just that it seems to be pretty much the only award show to get that kind of media coverage. We could really need a show with a media coverage like this, just a little more serious and focused on artistic/design aspects of video games.

You can count this informed viewer as not one of your audience.

FEichinger:
    There's a consensus that we all just pretend this never happened, right?

What happened? I have no idea what your talking about...

rofltehcat:
    Haha. Same as always. Just laugh about them. The Spike awards aren't meant for us, they are meant for the people watching Spike TV. Those two audiences don't overlap much.

The sad thing is just that it seems to be pretty much the only award show to get that kind of media coverage. We could really need a show with a media coverage like this, just a little more serious and focused on artistic/design aspects of video games.

We had TechTV, a whole TV channel dedicated to computers and technology, but then G4 sat on its head and took a shitty-shit-shit.

Anything that is positive, intelligent or useful doesn't make money, but making the Honey Boo Boo of video gaming does.

Dishonored, EA's Mass Effect 3, and Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed 3 seem to be everywhere.

Knowing Spike, ME3 is gonna win this one by a landslide with huge applauds.

And that's... kinda sad, both because it does not deserve it, but also because the guys that made Tuchanka and Rannoch deserves some recognition for the effort put into that.

I still cannot grasp how you can make a game that bipolar and breaking from its own formular.

Oh well, here's to hoping for The Walking Dead or Dishonored, need some innovation recognition to try and break this industrial dillusional bubble of carbon copying one another.

Seeing as the VGA's gave us this last time, you think there might be any other cool stuff?

Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.

*Without look at list, assumes call of duty is on it*

Wouldn't you fucking know it, apparently that psychic was right about me being psychic.

Game came out not two days ago, boy do they work fast. This is exactly why, even if I had the ability to watch the awards show, I wouldn't. It's so obviously targeted towards a a totally different crowd.

I do find it a farce that black ops 2 came out 2 days ago and halo 4 a week, and they both have nominations. It's like they KNEW they would be hits. But, nice to see The Walking Dead up there. For me this year it's: ME3-TWD as my one two, I guess H4 would be third but it's a distant third.

Wait, wait, let me get this strait.

The Spike "VGA" doesn't have an FPS (ME3 is an RPG/TPS) in for best game, and actually gave Journey a nod? Really? I mean it wont win, but it's still there. I'm surprised they have even heard of Journey.

I'm almost impressed. At least I was till I saw the few days old Black Ops II in the shooter list, but still.

SL33TBL1ND:
    Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.

"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?

I saw thier 'Best Character' nominations just a few minuites ago, they were Master Chief, some guy from Black Ops, Connor from AC3, Shepard and Claptrap.

I have to wonder what makes Claptrap a best character nomination over the likes of Handsome Jack, but i dont buy into Spike anyway.

On a related note, Gearbox is going loud on Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage.

DrunkOnEstus:
    Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect.

That short term memory span also applies to you, as you seem to have missed that Journey is on the GotY list by some miracle.

Don't they know that Black Ops II is not a shooter, it is a spunkgargleweewee game!
    come to think on it all four of them are spunkgargleweewee games
    they don't have a shooter category it's a spunkgargleweewee category.

GOTY: If ME3 wins then it was paid for,
    I'm rooting for dishonored but the others are atleast decent games.

action: again, dishonored, if sleeping dogs wins then they bought it.

shooter: definitely borderlands 2.

dev: gearbox, the other guys all did decent work but BL2 and the stuff they did before it came out and since has just been fantastic.

anticipated: bioshock infinity, though I would be lying if I said BS2 didnt make me nervous for this one.

I get why people complain about this but I dont really see much to complain about in the nominations. You might not like some of the games because YOU THINK they are too similar to the last one in the series but those are probably the best made and received shooters all year.

Great, only AAA titles. No indie games, only big name games and publishers.

Also, how the hell is AC3 up for Game of the Year? It just fucking came out!

Sigh... stay classy Spike TV.

But there are still some games to be launched that have the potential to be superior to these (Far Cry 3, Hitman, Planetside 2). Why not have the awards be given after the year ends?

And Spec ops: the line only gets one nomination. *Sigh* This makes me really damn sad, it's a meaningful game and just gets swept under by the sort of games it was trying to satire.li

Who's anticipating the South Park game?

neonsword13-ops:

Best Shooter

• That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

My first thought

Nurb:
    >Implying Spike VGAs aren't any more than commercials and that they actually matter

/v/, pls go...and go give The Walking Dead your vote for game of the year.

But being serious a moment, it's the only game there that deserves it in my opinion. It's done alot with very little.

and even this sort of tawdry mainstream attention is better than no attention at all. Right?

Not really I think. The spectacle that Spike puts on only paints the industry in the same low brow light that they paint themselves. The award they give out doesn't really mean anything far as I know. Who votes on it for starters; is it people in the industry, Spike's crack team of "Bros", or the fans. Further, how do they determine nominations? It's a publicity spectacle, nothing more; the award is as hollow as the ad execs who created it in the first place.

This is why nobody respects games as an art form. This shit is supposed to represent what gamers and games are like. Also, no I would rather have no award ceremony, I think that this ceremony is actually worse then not doing anything.

esperandote:
    Who's anticipating the South Park game?

Lots of people actually, it's shaping up to be pretty good by the looks of it. With Matt and Trey working pretty close with the team at Obsidian I have little doubt that it will be good.

Yes, there is actual gameplay in that trailer.(some people seem to think it's all just cinematics) One of the big things they wanted to accomplish was to have the gameplay look as much like the show as it could.

neonsword13-ops:

Best Shooter

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?

Are those retorical questions?

No WATCH_DOGS nom for most anticipated?

I hate you spike

EmperorSubcutaneous:

SL33TBL1ND:

"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?

Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.

DrunkOnEstus:
    Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect.

Yeah, The Walking Dead game by Telltale is certainly an explosion laden, big budget triple-A title, and that Mass Effect 3 which totally came out a short 8 months ago.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Registered for a free account here