Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

They're not the abomination they used to be but they're still pretty bad. I'll be in it more for any new game reveals rather than the awards.

Well the Spike VGA show is easily the most horrible and fake award shows in existence. Also they are managed by what I can only describe as a virgin sperglord. If you want to see what I mean, go on youtube and check for Angry Joe's 2011/2010 VGA stuff.

I'll only watch it if there's going to be unveil of new videogame. The Last of Us was the only good highlight of last year's shit award show..

EDIT: Also I like the host. Zach Levi.

Andy Chalk:

Game of the Year

• Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft/Ubisoft Montreal)
  • Dishonored (Bethesda Softworks/Arkane Studios)
  • Journey (Sony Computer Entertainment/thatgamecompany)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Electronic Arts/BioWare)
  • The Walking Dead: The Game (Telltale Games)

Stopped reading there. All of those games, except Journey which I haven't played, are either bad, horribly overrated or a disappointment.

Best game this year so far is XCOM without a doubt. But that game isn't 'mainstream' enough for awards ceremonies like this.

This is stupid spec ops the line deserves to be on that nominee list

Mass Effect 3? A game with such a piss poor ending that people rose up from their gaming chairs and revolted on the streets? An ending of a trilogy, no less, meaning that this game FAILED to do its purpose. Oh, nice one. Fucking morons.

SL33TBL1ND:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

SL33TBL1ND:
Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.

"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?

Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.

Then they'd be wrong. It's easily the best in the series so far.

Oh... Journey is actually nominated for Game of the Year?

Well, it should win by a landslide. Of course, it won't. It's nice that they bothered to give it a shot, though.

Award shows (of any sort) seem to me more like popularity contests than anything.

Yosharian:
Stopped reading there. All of those games, except Journey which I haven't played, are either bad, horribly overrated or a disappointment.

Best game this year so far is XCOM without a doubt. But that game isn't 'mainstream' enough for awards ceremonies like this.

If you have a PS3, or know someone who does, stop everything you're doing and go play Journey. Preferably alone. It's a game I feel everyone should experience. (Also, Journey is quite significantly un-mainstream, especially for something like the VGAs.)

EDIT: Oh, and XCOM is nominated for Best PC Game.

SpiderJerusalem:

SL33TBL1ND:

EmperorSubcutaneous:

"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?

Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.

Because tastes and opinions are totally either right or wrong.

How is Borderlands 2 not nominated for Game of the Year? I dont really have much of a problem with the list otherwise but Borderlands 2 should be seriously considered for GOTY, its one of the only games I've ever bought where it had almost no glaring flaws, and any flaws it did have were vastly overshadowed by the good content and the obvious love the devs put into their game.

And Gearbox needs to win best developer, If they dont then Im going to.. im going to be dissapointed.

EDIT: Also GTA5 easily wins most anticipated game, South Park is a close second and would have won easily, if not for GTA5 being on that list

josemlopes:
But there are still some games to be launched that have the potential to be superior to these (Far Cry 3, Hitman, Planetside 2). Why not have the awards be given after the year ends?

Well, the new CoD is already out, so what's the point of waiting till the end of the year?

As for Planetside 2, even Sony didn't put much of a spotlight on it in E3, despite being its most ambitious game in quite a while. Ah, the pains of being a PC exclusive.

saintdane05:
Seeing as the VGA's gave us this last time, you think there might be any other cool stuff?

They gave us a 404 error?

As to theh OP, *shrug*.

I don't own a television anymore (Why would I? I can get EVERYTHING from the internet now. On my smartphone no less) And After looking at their list I have no interest in watching their awards show.

Yosharian:

It was indeed the only game this year that gave me that old game-y feeling.

That feeling of "Okay, one more hour, and then I'm gonna turn in.

*one perceived hour later*

Holy shit, it's morning already!"

Didn't Skyrim hit everyone's GOTY last year, even though it came out in November of last year?

It's great to see The Walking Dead listed a few times. even though if it wasn't for the tv series it probably wouldn't even be mentioned.

But before I vote for anything (anything where TWD isn't an option that is) I should really buy Dishonored and AC 3.

I'm hoping for Journey GOTY. I've played all the other nominees except from the Walking Dead, and Journey was the only one in which I felt something new.

EcoEclipse:
Oh... Journey is actually nominated for Game of the Year?

Well, it should win by a landslide. Of course, it won't. It's nice that they bothered to give it a shot, though.

Award shows (of any sort) seem to me more like popularity contests than anything.

Yosharian:

If you have a PS3, or know someone who does, stop everything you're doing and go play Journey. Preferably alone. It's a game I feel everyone should experience. (Also, Journey is quite significantly un-mainstream, especially for something like the VGAs.)

EDIT: Oh, and XCOM is nominated for Best PC Game.

Only read your post after making mine, and couldn't agree with your sentiments about both Journey and X-Com any more. Both stunning games.

How can you have the nominees when all the potential heavy hitters haven't even been announced.

Hitman and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale haven't been released. The December releases haven't come.

It's foolish to say that none of them should be considered for nomination

snowfi6916:
Great, only AAA titles. No indie games, only big name games and publishers.

Journey has been nominated for GotY!

For what it's worth let's just vote as much as we can for the underdogs so they can have SOME chance for recognition.Also is it me or are there really no real huge hits on the list,or have the "fancy pansy,pretentious,artistic,non-shooty" games have been shown in the spotlight for once.So long as Grind Creed doesn't get anything,Spike VGAs might have SOME redeeming factor.
I gave my votes for Journey,Dishono(u)red,Walking Dead and XCOM.

Grand Theft Auto V will win for most anticipated game. That's not even a contest.

How can Dishonored be on that list? I checked it out a bit, it's not a terrible game but it's surely not great either.

Assassin's Creed III sounded like it was pretty lackluster too..

Andy Chalk:

Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

• BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
  • The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
  • Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)

Ahah. Uh, yeah, no. One of these things is not like the others.

Seriously, guys, who at Square Enix is fucking the guy picking the Most Anticipated list. Cause that is the only goddamn way I will accept that Tomb Raider made it onto the list but motherfucking WATCH_DOGS didn't.

5t3v0:

Baldry:
And Spec ops: the line only gets one nomination. *Sigh* This makes me really damn sad, it's a meaningful game and just gets swept under by the sort of games it was trying to satire.li

I voted to at least put my contribution against this great injustice. It certainly deserves more attention. Still, at least it wasn't totally ignored. I was worried it wasn't going to be anywhere at all, let alone crediting mainly the voice actor, not that he did a bad job, mind you, but I'd rather "best shooter" or, if there was, "Best story" have Spec ops: The line as an entry...

I would've given it game of the year for actually making the gamer feel like shit. Meh, as long as Spike keeps up this fratboy image of gamers Games like Spec Ops will be but dust in the wind.

Well, seeing Telltale on there is a nice surprise. Doesn't make the show any better though.

Reading some of the replies in this thread makes me want to punch myself in the face. "DEY ONLY PIK DUDEBRO AAA GAMES" You fucking idiots, did you read the article? Journey and TWD were picked, besides there is NOTHING wrong with AAA games. And for the people complaining about new or unreleased game, has it ever occurred to you that the press get copies early? Fucking idiots.

Lets see........... Spike TV........ What game had boobs in it? Mass Effect Turdee will win, by a damn landslide.

I just stop playing the game before the final battle and assume we won, my ending is more abrupt but does not make me want to break my disc in half.

SL33TBL1ND:

SpiderJerusalem:

SL33TBL1ND:

Because tastes and opinions are totally either right or wrong.

Yes, sometimes.

Game is sitting pretty on 82 on Metacritic, meaning it's clearly one of the better games out there. You haven't played it, so you based your judgmental attitude on hearsay and clearly counter opinions, making you more likely to be wrong than right.

Andy Chalk:
It amazes me that Claptrap, Master Chief and the latest generic Asscreed guy are up for Character of the Year, but actual characters - Max Payne (or even Raul Passos, and yes, I know, my fanboy is showing), Geralt or Adam Jensen - are nowhere to be seen. I know there's only so much room, but Claptrap? Come on.

....What? Max payne ok, but I'm assuming you're talking about the Adam Jensen from deus ex HR which came out august 2011 and witcher 2 came out last year also[unless you're one of those filthy console peasants in which case ok, it ported out this year :P].

I'm confused, I thought the "year" range for this farce looked over the games that came out with that actual calendar year.

I never understood master chief being "character" of anything since he isn't really a character, he lacks almost any personality other then the standard "grizzled soldier" trait. Claptraps annoying<read funny> but atleast he is moderately relate-able/likable, and it just came out so I have no opinion of the new assassins money grab main character.

I don't know why you would have a 'most anticipated game' as a category and then claim to be a proper awards show.

Also I would hope the Walking Dead game does well but the final episode hasn't been released yet.

Foolproof:

Andy Chalk:

Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

• BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
  • The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
  • Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)

Ahah. Uh, yeah, no. One of these things is not like the others.

Seriously, guys, who at Square Enix is fucking the guy picking the Most Anticipated list. Cause that is the only goddamn way I will accept that Tomb Raider made it onto the list but motherfucking WATCH_DOGS didn't.

Most anticipated, as dumb a category as it is, is about games that we know are coming out next year. WATCH_DOGS is 2-3 years away at least and for yet unknown next gen consoles.

The depression of knowing that I'm still the target audience of these games...

Anyway, here's my winners. "But they're not even nominated," you might say in some instances. If that's the case, then I'll put the Under Protest Winner in parentheses. However, the REAL winners are thus:

Game of the Year: Mass Effect 3
Studio of the Year: Telltale Games (even if they did hose Strong Bad in the licensing agreement)

Best Xbox 360 Game: Halo 4, ONLY BECAUSE IT IS XBOX EXCLUSIVE.
Best PS3 Game: Journey, again because of exclusivity.
Best Wii/Wii-U Game: Xenoblade Chronicles or Last Story. We fought to get those, damn it!
Best PC Game: Diablo 3. Once again, exclusivity helps.
(Yeah, my picks for best individual console's winner are exlcusive. Maybe there needs to be a Best Multiplatform Game so we can stop nominating Assassin's Creed 3 so many goddamn times.)

Best Shooter: Mass Effect 3. (Of the nominees, Borderlands 2.)
Best Action/Adventure: Banjo-Tooie (Or of the nominees, Sleeping Dogs/True Crime: Hong Kong)
Best RPG: Mass Effect 3.
Best Multiplayer Game: Borderlands 2.
Best Individual Sports Game: SSX, if only because I still love SSX Tricky that damn much.
Best Team Sports Game: NBA 2K13, if only because fuck EA.
Best Racing Game: F1 2012

Best Song In A Game: "Swamped" by Laguna Coil from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines ("Cities" by Beck from Sound Shapes)
Best Original Score: Mass Effect 3 (Max Payne 3)
Best Graphics: Journey, solely for uniqueness.
Best Independent Game: Fez
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat. (Persona 4 Arena)
Best Handheld/Mobile Game: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Luigi gets a fox tail to fly, your argument is invalid.)

Best Performance by a Female: Melissa Hutchinson as Clementine in The Walking Dead
Best Performance by a Male: Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2
Best Adapted Game: The Walking Dead
Best DLC: Close, but Perpetual Testing Initiative from Portal 2 (runner up is Dawnguard)
Best Downloadable Game: Fez
Best Social Game: SimCity Social

Most Anticipated Game: South Park: The Stick of Truth
Character of the Year: Can't vote right now, but Commander Shepard.

Excuse me, I now know who voiced Handsome Jack and can deck him properly.

neonsword13-ops:

Best Shooter

• Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision/Treyarch)
  • That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?

I was just happy it wasn't nominated for GOTY. I really expected i tto be. with how the Spike VGA's normally go.

I'm really glad Journey is nominated for so many awards. For me, having played all the GOTY nominees except the walking dead, its the best choice.

Not only does it deserve it, but it would also be a great statement to the entire industry and beyond, that a game made by (relatively) so few people, with such a different tone to it (all the others revolve around some sort of aggression or violence) could be considered the best game of the year. I don't know about the AAA label, but its as good an experience as there ever was in our young medium.

DrunkOnEstus:
    I can't imagine why we should expect anything other than an equivalent to the Oscar's.

i would say the spike vgas are more akin to the teen choice awards than the oscars. maybe the emmys if you want to be generous.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here