Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Small side note, I think they should give a special award to former FBI Director William S. Sessions. What in video games is he known for? Only this:

If you played an arcade game in the 90's, you know this image well.

Once again, a complete joke, so I'm not too surprised. My GOTY still goes to Spec Ops: The Line.

The Great JT:
Best Shooter: Mass Effect 3.

... What!? Seriously!? That would be like saying RAGE was the best RPG of 2011. Guess you don't play too many shooters.

Assassin Xaero:

The Great JT:
Best Shooter: Mass Effect 3.

... What!? Seriously!? That would be like saying RAGE was the best RPG of 2011. Guess you don't play too many shooters.

No sir, I do not.

Mass Effect 3? Game of the Year? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

ShadowKirby:

Foolproof:

Andy Chalk:

Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

• BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
  • The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
  • Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)

Ahah. Uh, yeah, no. One of these things is not like the others.

Seriously, guys, who at Square Enix is fucking the guy picking the Most Anticipated list. Cause that is the only goddamn way I will accept that Tomb Raider made it onto the list but motherfucking WATCH_DOGS didn't.

Most anticipated, as dumb a category as it is, is about games that we know are coming out next year. WATCH_DOGS is 2-3 years away at least and for yet unknown next gen consoles.

Watch Dogs was announced for 2013.

ShadowKirby:

Foolproof:

Andy Chalk:

Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

• BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
  • The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
  • Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)

Ahah. Uh, yeah, no. One of these things is not like the others.

Seriously, guys, who at Square Enix is fucking the guy picking the Most Anticipated list. Cause that is the only goddamn way I will accept that Tomb Raider made it onto the list but motherfucking WATCH_DOGS didn't.

Most anticipated, as dumb a category as it is, is about games that we know are coming out next year. WATCH_DOGS is 2-3 years away at least and for yet unknown next gen consoles.

http://videogamewriters.com/ubisoft-says-watch-dogs-coming-next-year-56983

You were saying?

The fact that Spec Ops: The Line was nominated for nothing, proves that Spike have so appreciation for art.

SpiderJerusalem:

SL33TBL1ND:

SpiderJerusalem:

Then they'd be wrong. It's easily the best in the series so far.

Because tastes and opinions are totally either right or wrong.

Yes, sometimes.

Game is sitting pretty on 82 on Metacritic, meaning it's clearly one of the better games out there. You haven't played it, so you based your judgmental attitude on hearsay and clearly counter opinions, making you more likely to be wrong than right.

I'm basing my opinion on reviewers and games journos who's opinions generally line up with mine, i.e. using reviews how their supposed to be used.

Trololo Punk:

FEichinger:
There's a consensus that we all just pretend this never happened, right?

What happened? I have no idea what your talking about...

Its quite bizzare i have never heard of spike TV or these awards or seen anything to do with them except once a year this thread appears on this forum. im beginning to thing its some secret spy covert ops signal

Nurb:
>Implying Spike VGAs aren't any more than commercials and that they actually matter

>Using the wrong shade of green to greentext

Wait, dont tell me these are the best 2012 had to offer. I guess i didnt miss much this year, since i only bought older titles.

neonsword13-ops:

Best Shooter

• Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision/Treyarch)
  • That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?

you know what they say about COD you played one of them you played them all

charliesbass:
    The fact that Spec Ops: The Line was nominated for nothing, proves that Spike have so appreciation for art.

Journey? Whats that?

Foolproof:

charliesbass:

Journey? Whats that?

I see what you mean, but you don't need as much appreciation for art to understand Journey, as you do with Spec Ops: The Line.

Frostbite3789:

DrunkOnEstus:
    Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect.

Yeah, The Walking Dead game by Telltale is certainly an explosion laden, big budget triple-A title

Whatever it is, it's mindless rubbish. What's worse is that they were responsible for quality games like Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit, which, of course, would never be named for any kind of award like this. ZOMBIES!!!!

Blood Brain Barrier:

Frostbite3789:

DrunkOnEstus:
    Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect.

Yeah, The Walking Dead game by Telltale is certainly an explosion laden, big budget triple-A title

Whatever it is, it's mindless rubbish. What's worse is that they were responsible for quality games like Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit, which, of course, would never be named for any kind of award like this. ZOMBIES!!!!

So you admit that you haven't played it, and that you know little about the game, but clearly it's mindless rubbish? Care to explain that one in greater detail? Your stance has left me a bit confused as to how you can know that.

Sutter Cane:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Frostbite3789:

So you admit that you haven't played it, and that you know little about the game, but clearly it's mindless rubbish? Care to explain that one in greater detail? Your stance has left me a bit confused as to how you can know that.

Where did I say I haven't played it? I played the first episode and barely made it through, before deciding not to touch the rest of the series and save a few dollars. Too manipulative and affectatious for my liking.

Andy Chalk:
    Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

Samuel L. Jackson is returning to host the tenth anniversary of the Spike VGAs.

It's easy to make fun of the sound and fury of the Spike Video Game Awards, packed as they are with product placements, "exclusive world premieres of highly anticipated titles" and Linkin Park. At the same time, it's the only show in town, as they say, and even this sort of tawdry mainstream attention is better than no attention at all. Right?

I disagree. Anything, including nothing at all, would be in my opinion, better for games. And especially the image it has. Holy shit though, much less upsetting nominees this time. Dishonored is in there twice, there's journey and the walking dead. Also not too bad is Max Payne 3, South Park, sleeping dogs and the last of us.

DrunkOnEstus:

I do have to say Journey is hardly a AAA super-blockbuster, and it's up for game of the year.

But year I don't think it really has a chance against the others, which is sad.

You know, without everybody on The Escapist complaining about Spike TV and its nominations I would still, to this day, not know Spike TV even existed.

So yeah, thanks for that guys.

neonsword13-ops:

Best Shooter

• That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

Beats me. How did Skyrim get voted the GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED one month after its release, despite the gamebreaking bugs and glitches?

OT: Don't pay attention, it's what it wants. Let it throw its tantrum and its toys, and maybe the idiots that run SpikeTV will remove this travesty.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

neonsword13-ops:

Best Shooter

Beats me. How did Skyrim get voted the GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED one month after its release, despite the gamebreaking bugs and glitches?

OT: Don't pay attention, it's what it wants. Let it throw its tantrum and its toys, and maybe the idiots that run SpikeTV will remove this travesty.

because people just expect that kind of stuff from bethesda, and so there used to it and overlook the bugs. Still doesn't explain why obsidian gets harped on for the exact same reasons though, given that they're much better storytellers than bethesda anyway

and I'll make sure not to watch this tripe

DJ_DEnM:

Nurb:
    >Implying Spike VGAs aren't any more than commercials and that they actually matter

>Implying I'm not using the best color for given background.

DrunkOnEstus:
    Sigh...only the hugest AAA super-blockbusters are on display, and the usual short memory span is in full effect. You've got a point though Andy, it's the only game in town for proper TV recognition of the hobby, and I can't imagine why we should expect anything other than an equivalent to the Oscar's.

Actually, since it's Spike, the video games are a tertiary concern. They've got a way to go to get up to the level of crap that is the Oscars.

Nurb:

DJ_DEnM:

Nurb:

>Implying I'm not using the best color for given background.

Fair enough. Good day to you sir!

charliesbass:

Foolproof:

charliesbass:

Journey? Whats that?

I see what you mean, but you don't need as much appreciation for art to understand Journey, as you do with Spec Ops: The Line.

Thats just a fancy way of saying that Journey has less bullshit in it and is able to be appreciated both as a work of art and as an enjoyable experience.

Spec Ops the Line is a terribly made game, but thats the point. Journey is a brilliantly made and genuinely fun game, and THATS the point. You can talk about what Spec Ops means all you want, its still a bullshit experience that actively hates the player.

Not all too impressed by the line-up, though some good games are there.

Mostly voted a lot of Mass Effect 3.

Yes, the ending sucked balls. Hairy, sweaty, cum-stained balls.

But the rest of the game... it still gives me chills at times when I think back on it. And from the line-up presented it definitely deserves to win most of the categories it was in. A horrible 15 minutes does not fully discount the amazing hours that came before it.

The only reason I watched it a year ago...two years ago, was for the ME3 trailer. Is there gonna be a DA3 trailer? Bioshock infinite? If not, no reason to watch it.

The Walking Dead is a candidate for game of the year? I never took Spike seriously when they started this garbage, but I'm glad to see it could actually get worse from where they started. The worst thing is I have a friend who actually takes this seriously, and he's going to try to have a discussion with me about it. I don't have the heart to shatter his reality, but fuck you Alex, you don't know anything about video games and I hope you read this passive aggressive message and lock yourself in your room and realize that you're a terrible judge of everything that has to do with opinion.

Yeah.... I'm really more mad about having to hear words come out of his gob.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Registered for a free account here