The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I had a Twinkie once, it was awful.

I'm an eclair man myself.

Akisa:

CardinalPiggles:
Here America , try this instead;

Oh what company makes that?

I'd tell you but I'm afraid Apple might try to sue it.

PunkRex:
GOOD!!! Me and my bro went to America once, real excited we were to try this famous food stuff known as a Twinkie. Enthusiastically we handed our dole-lars over to the foods merchant and asked for the treat. We eagerly peeled off the wrapper, our mouths a-moist in anticipation... little did our young hearts know. We bit heartily into the small confectionary and were greeted with a taste that can only be described as foul beyond all measure. IT WAS LIKE HOT SICK!!! I WAS BETRAYED, SUCH LIES OF HOW DELICIOUS A AMERICAN STAPLE IT WAS!!!

I had some pretty good chocolate pancakes the next day so I got over it, BUT STILL!!!

This gave me a good chuckle. Seriously.

I hadn't had a Hostess anything in a long long time. Since I was a kid. So after reading about this closure all morning, I bought one of the last Twinkies from our vending machine as a goodbye to part of my childhood.

It was baaad... I lost all my appetite for lunch. It was the perfect goodbye because I no longer felt sad about the missing Twinkies. I couldn't even remember why I liked them as a kid.

Found out about this this morning. Immediately went to my local grocery store to grab a couple boxes.

I ended up having to go back to the grocery store later in the day, for other stuff, and every single box was gone. Seems like I wasn't the only one with the idea of stocking up.

Ickorus:

Akisa:

CardinalPiggles:

Oh but it looks like it is owned by Apple

But... If I don't have cream-filled domes of chocolate cake coated in sugar-dusted coconut, how will I keep my third chin?

I don't get to keep it, do I?

Damn you, Hostess workers. Damn you.

esperandote:

L34dP1LL:
At least here in Mexico we'll still have "Los Submarinos"

Yeah, and Choco-roles (Wich apparently are the Ho-Hos equivalents)

Oh yeah, but with pineapple filling or strawberry for a "Rollo"

I can't believe I just watched both of those No compilations.

OH and I like a twinkie now and then.. be interesting to see who picks them up.

New Troll:
Bakers go on strike... my grandfather loses a job he's been at for almost twenty years as a security guard at a Wonder distribution center. Got to love how things work out.

Sorry to hear that man.

But yeah, when a company is trying to come back from bankruptcy, you don't go on strike.... That is just illogical.

It is at times like these, my fellow Americans, that we must ask ourselves the challenging question: "Where is the creme filling?"

Though I kind of hope Little Debbie's does end up buying the rights to their brand names. And then keeping their own regular formulas. Because theirs are better.

Harker067:

Formica Archonis:
Unions have their place, I'm more than willing to admit. But going on strike when the company is already under bankruptcy protection? HOW DID THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING? Oh, they have barely enough money coming in to function, let's fuck their revenue stream over! Did they think the slow collapse of the company in a bad economy was all just a very complex ruse to cut their wages?

Maybe if the execs took a pay cut instead of bonuses the union would be easier to negotiate with. Anyone remember when sony was showing some earnings losses and all the higher ups took a pay cut.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/06/27/sonys-welcome-for-new-ceo-forget-your-bonus-heres-a-pay-cut/

Maybe if more american companies followed suit they'd have better union relationships and stronger companies.

And remember when Nintendo did the same? Nintendo CEO Takes 50 Pay Cut

Taking responsibility for poor decisions. Japanese Companies are weird.

MorganL4:

New Troll:
Bakers go on strike... my grandfather loses a job he's been at for almost twenty years as a security guard at a Wonder distribution center. Got to love how things work out.

Sorry to hear that man.

But yeah, when a company is trying to come back from bankruptcy, you don't go on strike.... That is just illogical.

Really, but when a company is coming out of bankruptcy, it's okay to give the fifth CEO in a decade a massive pay raise?

http://bctgm.org/PDFs/HostessLiquidation11_15_12.pdf

There are two sides to every story, and personally, when a company decides that a CEO deserves a raise but all their workers need to have their benefits cut and their pay reduced? Maybe that company deserves to go under.

Not a fan of twinkies BUT THINK OF THE CUPCAKES. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOx10^20000000000000000

And so ends the obesity epidemic. Someday we will look back at this and laugh, and laugh.

Irridium:

CardinalPiggles:

Where's the Caramel that's usually draped around it?

it needs a stick... a caramel apple.... on a stick

That article image is PERFECT.

Also:

Iscariot6794:

MorganL4:

New Troll:

Sorry to hear that man.

Really, but when a company is coming out of bankruptcy, it's okay to give the fifth CEO in a decade a massive pay raise?

http://bctgm.org/PDFs/HostessLiquidation11_15_12.pdf

There are two sides to every story, and personally, when a company decides that a CEO deserves a raise but all their workers need to have their benefits cut and their pay reduced? Maybe that company deserves to go under.

"While the company was demanding major concessions from union workers (wage and benefit cuts
amounting to 27‐ 32% overall), the top ten executives of the company rewarded themselves with
compensation increases, with one executive receiving a 300 percent increase."

That part wasn't in The Escapist article... So yeah........ This would be the fault of the corporate management..... Most definitely... I'm with the workers on this one.

Formica Archonis:
Unions have their place, I'm more than willing to admit. But going on strike when the company is already under bankruptcy protection? HOW DID THEY NOT SEE THIS COMING? Oh, they have barely enough money coming in to function, let's fuck their revenue stream over! Did they think the slow collapse of the company in a bad economy was all just a very complex ruse to cut their wages?

I saw the same thing happen to a super market where my mom worked as a pharmacist back in the 90's. The company was already struggling; then the union came in and convinced all the people on hourly wages they were being treated unfairly when the company was forced to make cut backs to try and save itself from bankruptcy. In the end the union won and the workers all got company health insurance, which ended up taking away half their paycheck just to pay for it, and the company ended up going bankrupt because it lost too much money during the strike. Everyone lost their job, including my mom, and the union reps went on their merry way still having their jobs. So yeah, I don't exactly have the highest opinion of unions; frankly I think they're a scam for the most part.

On the other hand I'm currently watching my mother, who now works as a pharmacist for Walgreens, and her coworkers get the shaft by Walgreens corporate and think it couldn't hurt for them to unionize. I mean really, the company cries poor house, gives its executives a 33% raise, and then starts making dramatic cuts that are making life miserable for not only the employees but the customers as well.

Harker067:

Formica Archonis:

Maybe if the execs took a pay cut instead of bonuses the union would be easier to negotiate with. Anyone remember when sony was showing some earnings losses and all the higher ups took a pay cut.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2012/06/27/sonys-welcome-for-new-ceo-forget-your-bonus-heres-a-pay-cut/

Maybe if more american companies followed suit they'd have better union relationships and stronger companies.

You mean like Rayburn had Hostess do this year?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostess_Brands

In an effort to restore relations, Rayburn cut the salaries of the four top Hostess executives to $1, to be restored on January 1 the following year.

When the top four executives at a company take a $1 salary, you know DAMNED well that the company is in dire fucking straights.

ravenshrike:

Harker067:

Formica Archonis:

In an effort to restore relations, Rayburn cut the salaries of the four top Hostess executives to $1, to be restored on January 1 the following year.

When the top four executives at a company take a $1 salary, you know DAMNED well that the company is in dire fucking straights.

Nice to see them do something this time. Last year "Additionally, the court had discovered that Hostess executives had received raises of up to 80% the year prior.". And they went bankrupt the end of that year. While the labor problems may be the final nail in hostess it sounds like this has been a long time coming.

I spent most of this summer bouncing around the West Coast and made a point to stuff my face with everything I had ever heard of. However all hostess products espicially Twinkies were just awful!.

I had some amazing food but Twinkies tasted like cardboard.

In and Out Burger was bloody amazing though

Harker067:

ravenshrike:

Harker067:

Nice to see them do something this time. Last year "Additionally, the court had discovered that Hostess executives had received raises of up to 80% the year prior.". And they went bankrupt the end of that year. While the labor problems may be the final nail in hostess it sounds like this has been a long time coming.

If less than 10 million can wreck a company running over a billion in revenue each year, the company has bigger problems than top level executive compensation.

soren7550:
But, how could this be?! <:'O

I think what that video proves is that, to be a great actor, you have to practice your epic "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" scene. :p

OT: I'm just gonna go out and say it: This is what all unions eventually do. Drive jobs away.

I'm not anti-Union. I'm anti-crazy Union. Unfortunately, almost all of them seem to be pretty crazy.

Ickorus:

Akisa:

CardinalPiggles:

AHAHHAHAHA this should be a meme!

This is why if a Union ever tried too come to my company, 80% of us would tell them to **** off. Where we live, as long as management and the owners are doing their best and not screwing over employees, a Union will never see the light of day.

I love living and working in a conservative area.

(Can't believe I was the first to post that.)

Anywho, I'll be sad to see my tasty treats go, but que sera sera. Everything that is must some day end. Good bye fattening and sweet treats. *single tear*

Steve Waltz:

Andy Chalk:
...most Hostess brands will be picked up by other manufacturers as soon as they're available.

Life is not over, only Hostess.

I'm going to go out to eat one last Hostess twinkie tonight, but I know that "life's little twinkie gauge" will not go empty... Yet.

I have to kind of laugh at the union workers. I don't want to call them "selfish" but they demanded something from their bosses but their little strike blew up in their faces and they completely lost their jobs. Just a show that it's best to be under-paid and have a job, then go on strike and risk losing your job.

I agree, in this economy and with a US President wanting to raise taxes on businesses. Asking to even maintain their wages was a bit ludicrous. We are really living in a time where everyone (including Unions) are going to have to cut back wages, especially in the struggling snack food industry (who I think are unfairly taxed for being "unhealthy", but that is another debate).

I feel bad for them, but I hope this will serve as a warning and save other Unions and companies from the same fate.

Last chance to stock up for the apocalypse.
Guess they figured out that nobody would be buying them anymore after december 21st =)

That's it, the worlds coming to an end. Higher priced bacon and no more twinkies. :(

Useless ass unions. Ayn Rand called situations like this. In Atlas Shrugged, things get hard, people are losing money left and right, everyone is suffering, and Unions are all demanding raises and more, when there isn't more to give. The unions fail to negotiate and they have a stranglehold on the company.

Also, for the people attacking the CEO's for getting raises, that is a straw man argument. We are talking about money saved from thousands of workers. A few CEO's getting more money, even a significant increase doesn't even rate on the radar of money that Hostess dealt with. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm simply doesn't matter. In terms of classic economics, people lose sight of the situation. You can take less money, have a job, have some benefits still or you can have no money, no benefits. I know what I would choose, and then just look for a better job.

In psychological terms, people like to blame one or a few people for a problem. It's not ever 1 or 10 people who are causing the problem, it's is everyone cheating a little bit. As Dan Ariely wrote, it's everyone lying, cheating and stealing just little enough that they still feel honest.

Formica Archonis:

The story he also doesn't mention that hostess was cutting salaries of its workers but as usual, it was also giving executives pay raises. really him blaming the unions was probably just one last way to fuck with them. If they weren't such idiots then they wouldn't have gotten a strike.

No company has ever gotten a strike that didn't deserve one.

http://jezebel.com/5961155/congratulations-little-debbie-hostess-is-going-out-of-business

It's sad news, but I don't think we've seen the last of rich, cream-filled yellow pastries. Other companies will acquire the rights and fill the Hostess-shaped holes in our hearts. Still, sucks to hear the brand go.

The real reason this happened is a problem not just with Hostess but all of the older companies that gave in to excessive union pension and health plans. It is simply not sustainable in a world where population growth is slowing and markets are oversaturated. You can blame high executive pay but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the costs they have for retirees. We will be seeing a lot more of this in the near future.

People forgot that there was a time we saved for our retirement and they are about to be screwed over when they soon discover what they were promised was simply not sustainable or possible. It is literally the sins of the fathers screwing over the younger generations. We always say think of the future generations when we talk about the unsustainablity of social security, medicare, pensions or in Europe your similar plans but that cliff is fast approaching and probably impossible to fix without a lot of pain.

Kraft will probably buy up all the well known stuff for pennies so i doubt it's the end of the twinkie.

Leemaster777:
Found out about this this morning. Immediately went to my local grocery store to grab a couple boxes.

I ended up having to go back to the grocery store later in the day, for other stuff, and every single box was gone. Seems like I wasn't the only one with the idea of stocking up.

I just got back from doing a little nosing around. Local stores were cleared out, people were really bummed. Then I tried some gas stations and bingo!

For those of you looking to score a few just for yourselves, just look for them at convenience stores nearby. Probably won't find boxes, but I nabbed a couple of old favorites while I could.

Andy Chalk:
The Bell Tolls For the Twinkie

Hostess Brands, the company that makes the venerable Twinkie, is shutting down its operations.

The cream-filled confection known as the Twinkie, often viewed as one of the few foodstuffs that could survive a nuclear (or zombie) holocaust unscathed, is facing an unexpected but no less devastating end: the bankruptcy of the company that makes it. Hostess announced today that it is seeking permission from a U.S. federal bankruptcy court to close down, a move which will cast nearly 18,500 people out of work.

The company blames a strike by The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, which represents around 5,000 Hostess employees, as the cause, saying it "does not have the financial resources to weather an extended national strike." The bakers went on strike over a new contract, recently accepted by the larger Teamsters union, which would leave employees with reduced wages and benefits. That deal came about after Hostess filed for bankruptcy protect in January, its second struggle with insolvency since 2004.

So how does a company that makes Twinkies, Ding-Dongs, Ho-Hos and Wonder Bread - the best-selling white bread in America, by the way - go bankrupt? It sounds like it could be an especially hard-nosed negotiating tactic, especially since Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn told CNBC that industry "overcapacity" means Hostess employees won't get their jobs back even though most Hostess brands will be picked up by other manufacturers as soon as they're available. But he also said that even if the bakers went back to work immediately, it's too late to change course on the shutdown.

Hostess can't begin liquidating its assets until the court gives it the green light, but all production of Hostess foods has ceased and no further deliveries will be made. Stores can sell what products they still have in stock, but the company said in a letter to its stores that it could provide no time frame for when the sell-off will take place and stock will become available again. I've always been more of a Ding-Dong man myself, but whatever your poison - Twinkies, Fruit Pies, Cupcakes or just enriched white bread, if that's how you roll - if you've got a thing for this stuff, you better haul it down to the local corner mart and stock up. This could get ugly in a hurry.

Source: CNN

Actions speak louder than words. I started a petition http://wh.gov/XX3z then I went down and bought four boxes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here