Arrested ArmA 3 Devs Denied Appeal for Espionage Charges

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

albino boo:

Saulkar:

albino boo:

They got pissed at a company building a model of a strategically important island by a company that sells military training.

You do realise that the recreation of the island is far removed from reality and thus a 1 to 1 recreation? You could not use it anymore to plan an invasion of the island than GTAIV to navigate New York.

So why did they spend money on sending people to to photograph the island then? Just because the model in the game isn't a 1 to 1 recreation does not mean they can't use the information to build one. The model has one very obvious customer in Turkey, who the Greeks have been war with for the most of the last 1000 years. Why even use that Greek island out of the 100s that Greece has? Why choose one of the most strategically important islands as opposed to Eubeoa which has no importance what so ever?

Or you know if Turkey wanted intelligence or pictures of the base they could, you know, go to google maps instead of sending a few game developers with a little camera.

But I suppose that is too simple for people who have been at war for most of the last 1000 years huh?

Cartographer:

Devoneaux:

Gilhelmi:

See, Greece is a sovereign nation. As such, they have the right to protect their military secrets.

Are the developers telling the truth? Probably (note: I only said probably, the stories from WW2 about what those spies did and said to get info is crazy)

Can the developers prove this in court? That will remain to be seen. I suspect the trial out-come is 70-30% odds against the developers.

Now see, I happen to come from America, and not a fascist hellhole, so the idea that innocence needs to be proven is an alien concept to me.

Which is odd considering Mexico quite famously (wrongly or not) had a "presumption of guilt" system of law as recently as 2009 (there was a movie made about it). Presumption of innocence is far from universal.

Now, Greece being an EU state means they've signed up to the European Bill of Human Rights, which does have the presumption of innocence clause, but considering just how many other things Greece was allowed to get away with that other EU members have had to enforce, it is no surprise to me that their legal system has been allowed to continue without being updated.

Mexico has also been locked in an endless drug related conflict for god knows how long, so I suppose you could say there is at least some kind of justification for that sort of thing, even if I don't personally agree with it.

That said, I don't see what reason Greece would have to detain and lock up these gentlemen and violate basic human rights. It just seems like they're being paranoid goons with no real cause.

albino boo:
They got pissed at a company building a model of a strategically important island by a company that sells military training.

What, you mean this island?

With this 'military' base?

And these bomber targets?

Yeah. Bullshit charges from a bullshit country. Australia is just as likely to be invaded in this day and age, and also has a combined military/regular airport. Want me to go take my DSLR and get some pictures of the tail numbers on some F/A-18s?
I can, you know. It's because my government aren't fucking tards and know anybody who goes to war can afford to get some, you know, satellite images or perhaps some long range photos from a nearby mountain. Or a small child with a pen (crayon) camera.

Here, have a picture of our hangers in incredibly high detail:

Do you know why we don't care about pictures of our bases?
Because we have these things called 'radar' and 'SAM's and because any retard can find satellite images of 99.9% of the earth for free, let alone buying them from companies who don't care if they're not meant to take pictures of certain areas. Why the hell would you send 2 random guys with a video camera to get your information? What purpose could that serve, to then leave the incriminating files un-encrypted on their video camera instead of swallowing a MicroSD card or 5?

No. Apparently common sense goes out the window when paranoid idiots are in power. This is nothing but scapegoating so the government LOOKS like they're actually doing something, yet it's backfired because now the whole world is going to search for this mythical air base and suddenly people who got back from holiday are going to go 'Hey! I have a pic of that place! Imma put it on facebook!'.

madster11:
snip

When common sense and trolling unite... the reason we simply just don't destroy all bridges where they can hide. =p

madster11:

albino boo:

I think I love you, that was beautifully done.

Id have thought the greeks got other things to do atm then witchhunt some game devs.

Well i guess its a distraction from their actual problems. Death to the foreign spies!!!

Doesn't the US forbid people taking pictures of Area 51?

Either way, although I might not like it, if it's the Greek law than so be it. Photographing military equipment of other nations is generally not a good plan. Is 20 years insane? In my opinion yes, but I didn't write Greek law. The Greece did - so abide to it when in their nation.

:\

Formica Archonis:
Truly, the eradication of these enemies of the state shall herald a golden dawn for the nation. Griechenland über alles!

(Translation: What a bunch of fascists.)

Haven't you been paying attention to what's going on in Greece? They have ACTUAL fascists in the government over there.

madster11:

albino boo:

With this 'military' base?

And these bomber targets?

Yeah. Bullshit charges from a bullshit country. Australia is just as likely to be invaded in this day and age, and also has a combined military/regular airport. Want me to go take my DSLR and get some pictures of the tail numbers on some F/A-18s?
I can, you know. It's because my government aren't fucking tards and know anybody who goes to war can afford to get some, you know, satellite images or perhaps some long range photos from a nearby mountain. Or a small child with a pen (crayon) camera.

Here, have a picture of our hangers in incredibly high detail:

Do you know why we don't care about pictures of our bases?
Because we have these things called 'radar' and 'SAM's and because any retard can find satellite images of 99.9% of the earth for free, let alone buying them from companies who don't care if they're not meant to take pictures of certain areas. Why the hell would you send 2 random guys with a video camera to get your information? What purpose could that serve, to then leave the incriminating files un-encrypted on their video camera instead of swallowing a MicroSD card or 5?

No. Apparently common sense goes out the window when paranoid idiots are in power. This is nothing but scapegoating so the government LOOKS like they're actually doing something, yet it's backfired because now the whole world is going to search for this mythical air base and suddenly people who got back from holiday are going to go 'Hey! I have a pic of that place! Imma put it on facebook!'.

Silly madster. You can't arrest a satellite, put it on trial and say "Look at these sneaky foreigners sneaking around our country. You can't trust any of them."

I mean a satellite is all the way up in space. Why go to the effort of building a space program when your time could be better spent beating gypsies?

Thedutchjelle:

Either way, although I might not like it, if it's the Greek law than so be it. Photographing military equipment of other nations is generally not a good plan. Is 20 years insane? In my opinion yes, but I didn't write Greek law. The Greece did - so abide to it when in their nation.

Yeah they forbid it but you know what happens when you sneak out there and do it? Some people pull up in a jeep and tell you "get the fuck outa here before we take your camera away from you ya silly bastard."

They dont threaten to throw you in jail for 20 years.

madster11:
Snip

Well said sir! Well said!

FelixG:

Thedutchjelle:

Yeah they forbid it but you know what happens when you sneak out there and do it? Some people pull up in a jeep and tell you "get the fuck outa here before we take your camera away from you ya silly bastard."

madster11:
Snip

Or, according to the signs, you get a 5000 dollar fine or a 1 year sentence.

Again, I too think that 20 years is too long, but it's their nation and their laws.

It's always depressing to hear of possible failures in the justice system, even if it is in another country... I do hope something gets done about this. Although I doubt it. They'll probably burn them at the stake to show that they "don't go easy on spying charges" or some nonsense.

FelixG:

albino boo:

Saulkar:

You do realise that the recreation of the island is far removed from reality and thus a 1 to 1 recreation? You could not use it anymore to plan an invasion of the island than GTAIV to navigate New York.

So why did they spend money on sending people to to photograph the island then? Just because the model in the game isn't a 1 to 1 recreation does not mean they can't use the information to build one. The model has one very obvious customer in Turkey, who the Greeks have been war with for the most of the last 1000 years. Why even use that Greek island out of the 100s that Greece has? Why choose one of the most strategically important islands as opposed to Eubeoa which has no importance what so ever?

Or you know if Turkey wanted intelligence or pictures of the base they could, you know, go to google maps instead of sending a few game developers with a little camera.

But I suppose that is too simple for people who have been at war for most of the last 1000 years huh?

First of all, all satellite pictures are censored before they end up in public like google maps. So no good intelligence will come from google maps, or any non-military satellite photo. Also most army bases have intricate camouflage protection that will confuse someone looking from a photo.

Espionage with a camera on the other hand can figure, how many guards there are on a specific time on the base. At what time they change positions etc. What kind of military exercises happened at what time. Also what kind of response will they get when they violate the perimeter. All these are golden information for any enemy military.

That's why around military bases there are restricted areas. No civilians can approach such areas. Near the army bases there are also signs of no photos/video allowed nearby.

When they find two foreign guys in a restricted area taking video with no specific reason to do this. And when they find that they are related with military training software company. This raises a problem!

Also the base they where photographing, is a NATO base. This means that any UN laws conflict with military NATO laws. This means that this spying, is not only problem for the Greece, but for the NATO military also. Remember that Greece is the border for the EU and this isn't something to take lightly.

You can understand that this is something more that "two guys shot a video".
It has elevated into "two spies threaten the security of NATO military bases"

Think of it like the Area 52 in the US.

DVS BSTrD:

Formica Archonis:
Truly, the eradication of these enemies of the state shall herald a golden dawn for the nation. Griechenland über alles!

(Translation: What a bunch of fascists.)

Haven't you been paying attention to what's going on in Greece? They have ACTUAL fascists in the government over there.

You tell me. Have you been paying attention to the name of the party that enjoys the support of almost one in four Greeks?

Matt Dellar:

CardinalPiggles:
Ok guys, who wants to come to Greece with me and bust these two out? I'll bring the C4.

I'm kidding, jeez! I really shouldn't have to put such a disclaimer, but considering what happened to these guys, I don't want to take chance.

I'm in.

More seriously, can we actually do something for them? Sign a petition or something? Contact our representatives? Call in an AC130?

AC130's cannot affect ArmA Devs,we have to get a normal C130 and use the bomber script on it.
Hell,let's just spawn a fuckton of Spetsnaz in front of the court,and set the devs as allies and the rest as..
I'm really getting carried away...

Anyway,I;m really worried,and angry.this is complete and utter bullshit,Greece can't seem to do anything right nowadays.
Hopefully everything ends up going their way And a horrible slow,painful fiery death for the accusers

Capthca:Foul play.

You said it mate...

This REALLY sucks. 20 years for this? REALLY? That's just insane. I can understand a fine, or MAYBE up to a year tops. But 20?! That's ridiculous.

I really hope they get out of this. It's terrible. They don't deserve that. They really really don't.

madster11:

Boom. Headshot at 600 miles with a sniper rifle. Aaaand down it goes!

Well put.

Greece won't be around long enough for the devs to serve their sentence making all of this irrelevant.

At the time, the Czech government alleged that the men knowingly entered an area that was off-limits. Bohemia Interactive stated that the accusations were "completely false and without substance", saying that the developers were in public areas when they were taking the footage.

I don't get it. The CZECH government accused the developers or trespassing into Greek off-limits areas? Are not the developers czech too? Why would the Czech government make allegations that incriminate its citizens while they're in custody in another country? Are you sure is not a mistake in the article?

madster11:

That may be the single strongest yet funniest rebuttal I've seen on any forum, ever.

I award you as many internets as would fill the volume of your enormous balls and brain.

Captcha: "Make my day". Yes, you did.

ischmalud:
lol funny to see if something happen that makes YANKS think they have a right to give comments on injustice.....stfu - there will be a trial etc etc IF they can prove that they broke a law they be sentenced - not guilty till proven otherwise remember - that concept COMES OUT OF OF GREECE for crying out loud - and before u be a smart ass and tell me its roman law - dig depper and checke where the fellas on the boot got that idea.
anyway seems like another excuse for the collective interwebs to get their panties in a bunch

I'm pretty sure it's okay to be angry at a country when it imprisons 2 guys for doing something that you can do on Google right now.

And I know for a fact that not everyone on this board is American.

Chunga the Great:

ischmalud:
lol funny to see if something happen that makes YANKS think they have a right to give comments on injustice.....stfu - there will be a trial etc etc IF they can prove that they broke a law they be sentenced - not guilty till proven otherwise remember - that concept COMES OUT OF OF GREECE for crying out loud - and before u be a smart ass and tell me its roman law - dig depper and checke where the fellas on the boot got that idea.
anyway seems like another excuse for the collective interwebs to get their panties in a bunch

I'm pretty sure it's okay to be angry at a country when it imprisons 2 guys for doing something that you can do on Google right now.

And I know for a fact that not everyone on this board is American.

We all live in America. Therefore everyone on this board is ameri-can. It's wunderbar!

Thedutchjelle:

FelixG:

Thedutchjelle:

madster11:
Snip

Or, according to the signs, you get a 5000 dollar fine or a 1 year sentence.

Again, I too think that 20 years is too long, but it's their nation and their laws.

You know, ever since WW2, and the unfortunate events that transpired during and before the war, i'm pretty sure "It's their nation and their laws" stopped being an adequate defense, especially when human rights are involved.

madster11:

You sir, have won the internet. Truly the best response I've seen.

ashertaz:
At the time, the Czech government alleged that the men knowingly entered an area that was off-limits. Bohemia Interactive stated that the accusations were "completely false and without substance", saying that the developers were in public areas when they were taking the footage.

I don't get it. The CZECH government accused the developers or trespassing into Greek off-limits areas? Are not the developers czech too? Why would the Czech government make allegations that incriminate its citizens while they're in custody in another country? Are you sure is not a mistake in the article?

I would assume that, since the families are not getting critical of the Czech government's response to this, the Czech government might be trying to pass the blame in order to draw attention away from the ineffectiveness of their response (their response so far, anyways; for all we know, they might try something more effective later on).

Thedutchjelle:
That's why around military bases there are restricted areas. No civilians can approach such areas. Near the army bases there are also signs of no photos/video allowed nearby.

When they find two foreign guys in a restricted area taking video with no specific reason to do this. And when they find that they are related with military training software company. This raises a problem!

They weren't in a restricted area, they were driving on the road next to the airport. Because the military base is connected to the airport, they got some footage of the hangers in the background and as such when their cameras were searched at a later date they were arrested.

Do you know how Australia solves this problem?
With an innovative product know as...

'Trees'.

Thedutchjelle:

Yes they do. This is because Area 51 houses billions upon billions of dollars of top secret aircraft that aren't mean to exist. It's also because Area 51 isn't situated right next to a bloody major airport.
Area 51 is home to many secret projects, including a next generation bomber that's rumored to be so stealthy it cannot be picked up by even an AEGIS system that's running at full power.

So, the US has a much greater reason to arrest people. Do you know what they actually do? They show up, maybe delete the pictures/video from your memory card or take the card itself, and then they tell you to go away. Sometimes the local sheriff will give you a $600 fine.
They don't arrest you and give you a 20 year jail sentence, and remember this is the country with the NDAA.

lolobar:

FelixG:

albino boo:

First of all, all satellite pictures are censored before they end up in public like google maps. So no good intelligence will come from google maps, or any non-military satellite photo. Also most army bases have intricate camouflage protection that will confuse someone looking from a photo.

Espionage with a camera on the other hand can figure, how many guards there are on a specific time on the base. At what time they change positions etc. What kind of military exercises happened at what time. Also what kind of response will they get when they violate the perimeter. All these are golden information for any enemy military.

Also the base they where photographing, is a NATO base. This means that any UN laws conflict with military NATO laws. This means that this spying, is not only problem for the Greece, but for the NATO military also. Remember that Greece is the border for the EU and this isn't something to take lightly.

On the first point, they are kinda shit when it comes to asking them to censor out things, if you go look at the base on Google maps there are a few places where you can see attack helos just sitting out front of hangars and the like.

And normally you can tell where something on google maps has been white washed for security reasons (it is left blank instead of having any details) but the entire base, all its buildings and such are in full view on the map.

And the fact that they are from a company that is known for making realistic war games and simulators is a point in their favor, because no intelligence agency is going to be that stupid to send a pair of Czech game developers to take pictures when they could instead send an operative with better cover, better training, and better deniability.

This is terrible, and another example of law being applied for its own sake, not for any pursuit of justice.

The law common among a great many countries is that what is viewable from the public space is legal to photograph, regardless if anything that is viewable is physically on private space. To have law which says otherwise would make public living not only unmanageable but also incredibly unjust, perhaps threatening decades of imprisonment for innocent people.

Devoneaux:

Gilhelmi:

Jubbert:
Wow Greece just cant do anything right, not their economy or their legal system.

See, Greece is a sovereign nation. As such, they have the right to protect their military secrets.

Are the developers telling the truth? Probably (note: I only said probably, the stories from WW2 about what those spies did and said to get info is crazy)

Can the developers prove this in court? That will remain to be seen. I suspect the trial out-come is 70-30% odds against the developers.

Now see, I happen to come from America, and not a fascist hellhole, so the idea that innocence needs to be proven is an alien concept to me.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant that the evidence against the developers will convict them. They will be proven guilty. It would be like if the police caught you with say a scheduled 2 drug (prescription) and it looked like you were selling them because you had the bottle out and your friend was handing you cash (this was all the police saw). You would be convicted in court of unlawful distribution, police eyewitness, drugs, money changing hands. Unless, you could convince the jury that this was a wacky misunderstanding (say your friend owed you money and just happen to catch up to you when you were taking your medicine).

So what I am saying is that they will be proven guilty because of the evidence, BUT they might be able to prove their innocence.

Really, based on the info I have seen anyway, they should have known better then to be where they were. Their best hope is to try and show the they accidentally went onto private land. At the same time though, I do not know of a country that would not arrest you for photographing military installations. Heck, there are strict policies in place about family members taking photos at their homes on US posts (mainly, avoid landmarks in background and "when in doubt ASK, the army don't forgive").

UberNoodle:
This is terrible, and another example of law being applied for its own sake, not for any pursuit of justice.

The law common among a great many countries is that what is viewable from the public space is legal to photograph, regardless if anything that is viewable is physically on private space. To have law which says otherwise would make public living not only unmanageable but also incredibly unjust, perhaps threatening decades of imprisonment for innocent people.

Not quite, You can be arrested in the US if you are photographing things that have large signs saying "DO NOT PHOTOGRAPH UNDER PENALTY OF LAW". You see them from time to time approaching a military post and other Government buildings.

Guards might not arrest you (in the US), But they will detain you and ask lots of questions, If you are taking pictures of even the gates into a military post. They will suspect you of terrorism, and thanks to President Obama, may (in the future, I doubt they would do this today) detain you indefinitely without lawyer, trail, or arrest (even American citizens).

FelixG:

lolobar:

FelixG:

On the first point, they are kinda shit when it comes to asking them to censor out things, if you go look at the base on Google maps there are a few places where you can see attack helos just sitting out front of hangars and the like.

And normally you can tell where something on google maps has been white washed for security reasons (it is left blank instead of having any details) but the entire base, all its buildings and such are in full view on the map.

[b]And the fact that they are from a company that is known for making realistic war games and simulators is a point in their favor, because no intelligence agency is going to be that stupid to send a pair of Czech game developers to take pictures when they could instead send an operative with better cover, better training, and better deniability.[\b]

HA, you really need to look up some of the history of spying. That is a point against them as well because that "realistic war games and simulators" might be being developed, or used by, a non-friendly nation (to NATO, UN, US does not matter). Appearances are the way they are.

I will agree about Google maps. I think some legislature needs to start putting down some better laws preventing more of that. That needs "fixing", entire bases need to be white washed.

madster11:

albino boo:

One tiny problem, terrorism.

They do not show up on radar, and SAMS are of no effect. You wont even know they are there until they start selecting their target. Photographing is the first step in planning an attack. Arial photos are nice to get a layout, BUT on-ground is needed to figure out guard changes, what/when training goes on, where the airman's favorite watering hole is (if I am suspicious of people following me, I start making a set of right turns).

And really, and I know you got them off a public site, those pictures should be illegal. I now know the approximate size and strength of that base. If you combine those images with ground images, and count how many take-off/land and what time. In theory, you could launch an effective small group attack.

There is just way too much information out on the internet.

Im really starting to hate Greece lately, first they have to be fed like spoiled fat kid (yes, thats what I imagine when I think of that country, not Athenes or Sparta any more) by poorer countries just so it can stay fat because it cant take care of its own economy and now little things like this keep pushing it.

I have a very unique and eloquent opinion on this issue - fuck Greece. Shit's retarded.

Gilhelmi:

I will agree about Google maps. I think some legislature needs to start putting down some better laws preventing more of that. That needs "fixing", entire bases need to be white washed.

There is legislation against it in some countries against it which is why bases in the US and if I recall the UK are blotted out.

Greece and their bumb-fuck legal system are just too busy with useless crap, say like arresting game developers, to do anything about REAL threats...Like google!

The Greeks have a history of losing their shit over stuff like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2397667.stm

Unfortunately the Czech government seems to not be doing much to help whereas the British Government sent the Foreign secretary to personally "ask" for them to be released.

FelixG:

Gilhelmi:

There is legislation against it in some countries against it which is why bases in the US and if I recall the UK are blotted out.

Greece and their bumb-fuck legal system are just too busy with useless crap, say like arresting game developers, to do anything about REAL threats...Like google!

So why is HMS Faslane, the UK's nuclear submarine base one on the few areas in Scotland with high-resolution photograhy in Google Maps and Google Earth? https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=56.062597,-4.810209&spn=0.019479,0.031886&t=h&z=15&lci=com.panoramio.all

Andrew_C:

FelixG:

Gilhelmi:

So why is HMS Faslane, the UK's nuclear submarine base one on the few areas in Scotland with high-resolution photograhy in Google Maps and Google Earth? https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=56.062597,-4.810209&spn=0.019479,0.031886&t=h&z=15&lci=com.panoramio.all

Notice the qualifier "If I recall.."

It seems my memory has failed me

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook