Wii U Update Eats Most of Basic's 8GB

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Gotta love how everyone whines about his inability to handle electronics when remembering that Nintendo aims their garbage at preschoolers and other newcomers to gaming. Anyone remember what system updates were like in the last console generation?

LOL even better Moviebob's WiiU was dead on arrival and he's not alone.

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/check-your-wiiu.html

VanQQisH:

saleem:
Snip.

I honestly can not fathom the fact that there are people defending a 5gb patch on a system whose basic package includes only 8gb of data. Have we as consumers finally become content with game companies shitting down our metaphorical throats? You should not have to stick an external hard drive or thumb drive into your console for firmware updates! That's fucking ridiculous and you damn well know it.

I can't comprehend it, but I'm not surprised by it. The electronics consumer has become increasingly complacent and video gamers are probably the worst example. The vast, vast majority will happily sacrifice their consumer rights and fork-over additional money that they shouldn't need to just to play their new games. What you snipped is a perfect example: The Wii-U update is massive, slow, and leaves the system vulnerable to bricking throughout the duration "You shoulda put it on a flash drive first!"

Do we even know if the update can be downloaded elsewhere then installed on the console? I see it suggested by talking heads in comments in a number of places, but likely none of them of a Wii-U and are making assumptions based on other consoles.

Kumagawa Misogi:
LOL even better Moviebob's WiiU was dead on arrival and he's not alone.

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/check-your-wiiu.html

I'm becoming increasingly glad that I missed the Wii-U pre-order window.

VanQQisH:

shintakie10:

Here's a fun thing to try. Next time you have to update to a new windows service pack, unplug your computer halfway through. Come back and tell me how it goes.

Actually, with Windows, it makes temporary backup files of everything before it begins to apply new service pack data and automatically reverts to that backup data if the main folder it should look into is corrupt or incomplete.

It means you move back one service pack but it sure as hell beats owning a paperweight.

Not to mention that with a computer, even a Windows Service Packet won't change the BIOS, so you can reinstall Windows even if the backups aren't in place or fail.

I swear Escapist articles on anything Nintendo are always "NINTENDO PULLED SOME CRAP THAT WASN'T REALLY CRAP BUT IT'S NINTENDO SO IT'S UNFORGIVABLE!".

They make it so you can use external HDs instead of Nintendo branded ones in order to reduce hardware costs? IT'S BAD.

Major update wrecks systems when you ignore all the giant warnings on the screen? SHIT SYSTEM!

Joystick is underneath the ABXY buttons instead of above them? TERRIBLE CONTROLLER.

The Wii U is strong enough for games and for developers to be happy but not substantially stronger so that it makes the console cost absurd amounts of money? WHO WANTS TO WASTE THEIR MONEY ON THIS CRAP?!

A Smooth Criminal:
I swear Escapist articles on anything Nintendo are always "NINTENDO PULLED SOME CRAP THAT WASN'T REALLY CRAP BUT IT'S NINTENDO SO IT'S UNFORGIVABLE!".

They make it so you can use external HDs instead of Nintendo branded ones in order to reduce hardware costs? IT'S BAD.

Major update wrecks systems when you ignore all the giant warnings on the screen? SHIT SYSTEM!

Joystick is underneath the ABXY buttons instead of above them? TERRIBLE CONTROLLER.

The Wii U is strong enough for games and for developers to be happy but not substantially stronger so that it makes the console cost absurd amounts of money? WHO WANTS TO WASTE THEIR MONEY ON THIS CRAP?!

My friend tried using an external hard-drive. I was their when he did this and it was iffy on the wiiu recognizing the hard-drive. More often then not it didn't recognize it, but with thumb drives 16GB and smaller it recognized them 100% of the time.

A lot of surprising responses in this thread. You do not make a program(and especially not something as vital as the system software) install an update until the download is complete. What if someone has slow internet? What if they have network issues? What if you have server issues? What if a kid trips over the power cord(because the shitty parents left the power cord out where it could be tripped on)? What if the significant other turns off the device while the customer stepped away to conserve electricity? There are dozens of things that could go wrong during an update process, and making that window of vulnerability as potentially large as it takes to download the update is just asking for trouble.

Say what you want about the journalist; this is Nintendo's fuck up.

If this guy was supposed to be a games journalist then he should have known you NEVER unplug a console that is in the middle of an update.

While there should be clear warnings not to unplug or power down the device he should have known it was not a smart thing to do.

Mygaffer:
If this guy was supposed to be a games journalist then he should have known you NEVER unplug a console that is in the middle of an update.

While there should be clear warnings not to unplug or power down the device he should have known it was not a smart thing to do.

As other posters have already said, this isn't about the guy unplugging his wiiU during an update, its about nintendo not having a fail safe after requiring a 5GB update release day to prevent the system from becoming a brick.

I had a friend who got a pre-order from her fiance and its having the same problem as moviebob being DOA (dead on arrival). With the lack of WiiU's available and all the failures that are resulting from them I can safely assume that the WiiU was severely rushed that it doesn't have a basic fail safe and a 5GB update at launch.

I am glad I missed the pre-order window.

captcha: hoity-toity

yes captcha most people defending nintendo's mistakes tend to act that way

Magichead:

saleem:
Lol I get it that every new piece of hardware comes with teething problems but you cant blame everything on it. This article is just illustrates user stupidity kicking in, you know off the bat that you dont have much in the way of storage. That being the case your first action should be to stick an external drive or high capacity pen drive into the machine. Honestly its not like this issue hasnt been discussed in length by everyone who is involved in games. Additionally anyone who has used a console in the last 7 years or so knows that you dont interrupt updates or game saves/loads or it could lead to data corruption.

Finally the article title is misleading - instead it is regaling us with stories about the incompetence of someone and tries to lay the blame at ninty's feet.

Sorry, but there is no excuse whatsoever for designing a modern computing device which can be totally bricked by something as simple as an update being interrupted. There are any number of scenarios in which such a thing could happen which require no "user stupidity" at all, and other companies are evidently capable of designing systems capable of withstanding such mundane errors; why is Nintendo's inability to do so anyone's fault but Nintendo's?

Try updating the BIOS of any modern computer.

Must not be much of a gamer or tech geek, he unplugged the damn thing before it finished updating.
#GotWhatHeDeserved

I bricked a few things when I was younger, mostly because I was *ahem* testing firmware that wasn't "stable" but I never unplugged it in the middle of updating, thats just dumb.

Magichead:
Sorry, but there is no excuse whatsoever for designing a modern computing device which can be totally bricked by something as simple as an update being interrupted. There are any number of scenarios in which such a thing could happen which require no "user stupidity" at all, and other companies are evidently capable of designing systems capable of withstanding such mundane errors; why is Nintendo's inability to do so anyone's fault but Nintendo's?

LOL, I love the rantings of the ill informed.
There is a reason EVERY computer says
"DO NOT INTERRUPT WHILE PERFORMING SYSTEM UPDATES".
If you do that to Windows at the wrong moment you can fry it, and require it to be re-installed. You do that to the PS3 or 360 at the moment it's updating the firmware you'll fry them too. Their is almost certainly a way for him to Restore his Wii to working condition, but he'll ether need to download something, and boot it with a restore, or he'll have to send it to Nintendo so they can run it themselves. I'm not too sure if Nintendo would be eager to allow a functional restore too out of their service department since that would lead to wide spread hacking quickly. There is a reason people like me like to have their PS3 and other Firmware Updating devices hucked up to a UPS when we run updates. Unless you like the risk of breaking expensive equipment you should always follow the instructions.

GAunderrated:

Mygaffer:

As other posters have already said, this isn't about the guy unplugging his wiiU during an update, its about nintendo not having a fail safe after requiring a 5GB update release day to prevent the system from becoming a brick.

I had a friend who got a pre-order from her fiance and its having the same problem as moviebob being DOA (dead on arrival). With the lack of WiiU's available and all the failures that are resulting from them I can safely assume that the WiiU was severely rushed that it doesn't have a basic fail safe and a 5GB update at launch.

I didn't defend Nintendo's mistakes and you completely weaken any argument you have when you make personal attacks, "hoity-toity", against people with whom you disagree.

I don't own a WiiU and I am not going to own a WiiU but this guy should have known better. You don't interrupt a system update. Do other consoles have a fail safe for this occurrence? I only game on PC but if I kill power to my system while doing a BIOS update I'll have bricked my board.

Scars Unseen:
A lot of surprising responses in this thread. You do not make a program(and especially not something as vital as the system software) install an update until the download is complete. What if someone has slow internet? What if they have network issues? What if you have server issues? What if a kid trips over the power cord(because the shitty parents left the power cord out where it could be tripped on)? What if the significant other turns off the device while the customer stepped away to conserve electricity? There are dozens of things that could go wrong during an update process, and making that window of vulnerability as potentially large as it takes to download the update is just asking for trouble.

Say what you want about the journalist; this is Nintendo's fuck up.

Well, accidents and mishaps like you mentioned does happen, but still, you don't unplug your console during a system update. That is something we get constant reminders of during any update on any system. Still you are right, a lengthy update should be downloaded then installed, or better yet, the option to update by using USB drives and downloading on your computer should be there.

VanQQisH:

shintakie10:

Here's a fun thing to try. Next time you have to update to a new windows service pack, unplug your computer halfway through. Come back and tell me how it goes.

Actually, with Windows, it makes temporary backup files of everything before it begins to apply new service pack data and automatically reverts to that backup data if the main folder it should look into is corrupt or incomplete.

It means you move back one service pack but it sure as hell beats owning a paperweight.

Seriously, if you don't have a failsafe where Microsoft has one, that's goddamn stupid. Nice job Nintendo.

DVS BSTrD:
Well maybe now you'll learn to pay attention to that "super slow" progress bar. Too bad, looks like this Wii-U is...

*puts on sunglasses*

...on the Fritz

Shouldn't something this big have been installed prior to shipping?

I...the...

Where is Miyagi?

@OP: I wonder how much of the 5GBs is "failsafes" to stop their console from getting pirated.

I can't fathom anything being written so poorly that it takes up that much space. Considering how small entire OS's are these days.

Mygaffer:

Actually my motherboard has a backup BIOS/EFI. Most higher end and quite a few mid-range motherboard have them these days. So it's quite possible to easily recover from a failed BIOS/EFI update

shintakie10:

Better than you think, really. Same with most modern devices. I'm not defending simply unplugging it, but at the same time, when you do have to update your products, more than not seem to have failsafes.

Andrew_C:

Actually my motherboard has a backup BIOS/EFI. Most higher end and quite a few mid-range motherboard have them these days. So it's quite possible to easily recover from a failed BIOS/EFI update

To be fair, The Wii U is boasting comparable power to the PS3 and 360, both over half a decade old. I don't think there's much high end in their system. Well, except maybe the gimmicky tablet thing.

Andrew_C:

Mygaffer:

OK, yes, my board does too but at the end of the day this was at least as much this journalist's fault as it is Nintendo's.

I remember the days when Nintendo hardware used to be the cockroaches of gaming.

Bombed to hell and back? Like the Gameboy would care.

And the PC comparison is moot. My motherboard has backup BIOS, and no matter how fucked up or corrupted my OS files get, I get just boot up from an optical drive or flash drives with the OS install files, wipe a partition and do a clean install. Far from this bricking catastrophe.

Mygaffer:

1) Only advanced users update their BIOS and, more importantly, a BIOS update is never forced on you. If you choose to update your BIOS, it's acknowledged to be at your own risk.

2) A BIOS update is typically a few KB and takes 20s at most. The window of potential corruption is very small. We can't say for certain how large the window was on the Wii U; maybe the guy just unplugged it at the very worst possible moment in the 15m update or maybe the danger window really was 15m or longer. If the latter, that is completely ridiculous.

3) Any "modern computer" worth building will have a backup BIOS for the express purpose of recovering your BIOS to factory state in case you happen to corrupt yours during an update. There's no reason you can't have something similar on a consumer console (though granted, it gets more tricky as you'd also need a small bootstraper that spins up the disk and network device to grab a digitally-signed factory OS image from a server somewhere).

The Artificially Prolonged:
A 5gb update? I'll never moan about a PS3 firmware update again.

So I guess a large external drive is a must if you got the basic Wii U.

After listening to this, I think several sessions with a psychiatrist are necessary if you get the basic WiiU.

reading this thread makes me sad. hey has your internet ever gone out? what happens if it goes out while your updating? your screwed thats what. seriously. it still bricks while DOWNLOADING. that does not even make any kind of sense.

Mygaffer:

That is not an excuse. Things can happen in the middle of updates - wandering pets or relative pull a cable out, a power outage - so this can occur organically. And the manufacturer should freaking foresee it and have a contingency plan in place.

theultimateend:

DVS BSTrD:
Well maybe now you'll learn to pay attention to that "super slow" progress bar. Too bad, looks like this Wii-U is...

*puts on sunglasses*

...on the Fritz

Shouldn't something this big have been installed prior to shipping?

I...the...

Where is Miyagi?

He'll be back for the next season of Robot Chicken (The whole season, I promise. Baring some inevitable fuck-up on my part)
Now is Ponies.

A Smooth Criminal:

As other escapists have said, what if there was a power outage, what if he tripped on a cable? Him turning off the console during an update is a really stupid idea, but nintendo should at least have a fail safe.

doomspore98:

A Smooth Criminal:

As other escapists have said, what if there was a power outage, what if he tripped on a cable? Him turning off the console during an update is a really stupid idea, but nintendo should at least have a fail safe.

Most hardware gets the same thing with major updates. The Wii U is no exception to it.

A Smooth Criminal:

doomspore98:

A Smooth Criminal:

Most hardware gets the same thing with major updates. The Wii U is no exception to it.

That may be true, but it is still silly to blame the person updating when the article said that there were no warnings given, what if a 5 year old was playing. Do you think that they would know that you shouldn't unplug the system?

One thing, a lot of people are saying only people who balls up and unplug their console - what about people who get a power cut? Or a dodgy power lead? Or some other weird environmental issue. They, through no fault of their own, would also be in this position.

It feels as though an error like this should be recoverable, if the console ere designed properly. A factory reset...or something

rhizhim:

shintakie10:
Two things here.

1. It amuses me that even consoles can't get away from day 1 updates.

2. How retarded do you have to be to unplug a console in the middle of a system update? There's always a big ass warnin "Dont unplug or power down the console during this update." I haven't tested this myself, but I suspect if you unplugged say...a 360 when they did their new dashboard update halfway through you'd also end up with a lovely paperweight as well.

could had happened during a power failure. it is unlikely that it may happen, but nonetheless the wii u should handle this. there should be a failsafe.

the more i read about the console the more i think that its utter crap.
how the hell CAN they get away with this shit?

VanQQisH:

shintakie10:

nice burn against shintakie.
thats what i mean.

the WII "fuck" U should have a failsafe like these system backups..

A backup for the 5 GB of updated data? On the 8 GB drive? Me thinks it unlikely this is a possibility for them.

That being said, 8 GB is unreasonably small for a modern console. It must've cost more to get that small a drive as opposed to a larger one. I'm not blaming the system failure on Nintendo's software people, they're working completely within the bounds of their hardware. Their hardware people should've thought the drive space through better.

doomspore98:

A Smooth Criminal:

doomspore98:

That may be true, but it is still silly to blame the person updating when the article said that there were no warnings given, what if a 5 year old was playing. Do you think that they would know that you shouldn't unplug the system?

A 5 year old shouldn't be using the console by themselves anyway, generally at that age a parent is required for the console setup. And generally the common sense things is that when something is updating, you leave it alone. I know that you don't always have to leave things alone while they update, but it's the logical thing to do when you're not sure.

Besides, warranty means that they can get free replacements.

A Smooth Criminal:

doomspore98:

A Smooth Criminal:

A 5 year old shouldn't be using the console by themselves anyway, generally at that age a parent is required for the console setup. And generally the common sense things is that when something is updating, you leave it alone. I know that you don't always have to leave things alone while they update, but it's the logical thing to do when you're not sure.

Besides, warranty means that they can get free replacements.

But that brings us back to the point of the unexpected, what if there is a power outage, what if somehow someone trips over a cord and accidentally unplugs it. Warranty is great and all, but what if it happens when the warranty expires.

Mygaffer:

GAunderrated:

Mygaffer:

I didn't defend Nintendo's mistakes and you completely weaken any argument you have when you make personal attacks, "hoity-toity", against people with whom you disagree.

I don't own a WiiU and I am not going to own a WiiU but this guy should have known better. You don't interrupt a system update. Do other consoles have a fail safe for this occurrence? I only game on PC but if I kill power to my system while doing a BIOS update I'll have bricked my board.

Personal attacks? What aspect of your life have I attacked? You are correct I mistaken when said defending, to say you are deflecting their mistake's would be more accurate. I make a valid point and you deflect by saying "do other people do it?" as if that would somehow negate Nintendo from their mistake in not adding a fail safe.

Since you brought it up yes the ps3 which I have owned for many years does have such a fail safe. My cable was disconnected by a pet during the update after the ps3 hack and I did have to reformat/lose data but my ps3 isn't a brick. The PC example is a bit of a straw man argument as the need to update bios is done very rarely for any PC. This would be more similar to windows updates which happen quite frequently.

Also I'd hate to point this out but "this guy should have known better". Really??? According to who? Where is this mythical committee that decides what people should know and what they shouldn't know. What should have happened is Nintendo should have at least put up a warning for any incident that could result in the system bricking. That warning would at least deter them legally from responsibility but their lack of warning falls on their shoulders.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here