BioWare Asks Gamers if They Want a Mass Effect Prequel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Silly Hudson. There's no way you're pulling that shit again, especially not with a prequel. How the hell are my choices meant to matter if we already established what the result will be? It's like the trilogy already, except you already know you're going to get shafted at the end. I call fail.

(This is of course if you can even convince dissidents from ME3 that the series is even worth their time).

D Moness:

Screamarie:

Maybe, MAYBE a prequel of the First Contact War with a compelling male/female choice might work...

I would prefer "The morning war", i understand we all know how that war ends. It still would be a nice idea(also can make a game with 2 campaigns then for both the Geth and the Quarian(also since it will be played on Rannoch we can see them without their biosuits)).

We also have the Rachni Wars that can be explored. In my opinion making games that takes place after mass effect 3 will be many many years later or they just retcon some peoples ending.
For example in my ending there are no Quarians (they more or less mass suicide against the geth) due to the fact i picked destroy in the end(can not have the reapers stay) I also have no Geth anymore. Funny though i set out to try and save them both and end the war I end up destroying them both.

As for buying I would be kidding myself if i said it wouldn't be a pre-order for me >.<

Well I think you could do a double campaign with the First Contact War as well. Play the side of a human, deciding if you're going to roleplay as a character who is for contact or as a character who shouts "those aliens took our jobs! (insert South Park redneck accent)". Then playing the side of a Turian or the like who can decide whether he or she should want the humans crushed or accepted.

But, like we've both said, whatever it is, once they announce it I'll probably just drool and throw money.

RhombusHatesYou:
Definitely after... mostly because I'm a sadistic prick who wants to see them try and write their way out of how they finished the trilogy.

I will back this one, just because I want to see how far up his own ass Casey Hudson still is

I would love to see another company make a Mass Effect prequel. My vote is for Obsidian :)

Neither. Stop with the endless number sequencing and make a new IP.

I'm with those that say it almost has to be a prequel due to the very different circumstances of the possible endings. They'd likely have to retcon the storyline and pick a canonised version of Shepard's adventures. Because playing in a galaxy after one ending would leave everyone in a unified galactic utopia while another would leave them having to rebuild technology.

I'd say the next one should take place in the First Contact War, if not simply taking place before Shepard's rise and appointment to the Spectres. Just make up a new secret agent fighting against a more toned-down threat (since you obviously can't get much bigger than galactic extinction) with some sort of conspiracy behind it or something.

Set it after. For the same reason I have no interest in watching Paragon Lost(unless I hear that it is exceptionally good) I know what happens and as endearing as James' interactions made him I have no desire to watch him

Alternatively, You play as a young human or quarian or turian or asari, who through a series of events ends up owing the turian captain of a freighter your life. So you go work for him and his motley rag-tag crew, including a spacer human who hates mud, dirt precipitation and generally anything to do with gravity and being planet-side. A Krogan mercenary who just wants his pay check, a quirky plant-loving quarian pilgrim, a plucky asari pilot, some other dude who is painfully shy and I haven't thought through yet, oh and a volus accountant (again haven't thought it through).
Together you all traverse the galaxy doing odd jobs, say for specters, or Aria or the Blue Suns etc. Early on you hear about the first human Spectre, crew bitches and cheers and the final final decision of the game is: do you join the fight against the reapers or do you run and try to survive, one ship lost in the stars of the galaxy?

Or set it after 3, pick the control ending, Shep used the reapers to fix everything watched the crew move on and then went "Right since the ones who remain are alright. Your on your own y'all. I'm taken the reapers to the heart of the super massive black hole of the Andromeda galaxy, Peace out!"
That way there is no real change to the universe we know, characters can refer to the invasion and all, memorials and lost family, rebuilding lives etc but it will feel like the ME universe

I think only thing that would redeem both Bioware and Mass Effect is to do a bit smaller (as in not "SAVE THE UNIVERSE FROM THINGS")Story, separate from Shepard's journey. It could be before or after the trilogy. Just leave Shepard out of it. Mass Effect doesn't have to be only about Shepard.

Much like the guy above me says.

I would either like a game set before and/or during the time humans start activating the Mass Relays, with races besides humans being playable, or after 3 by a few hundred years, with one of the endings being the definitive one.

Nimzabaat:
I would love to see another company make a Mass Effect prequel. My vote is for Obsidian :)

They are doing their own thing with Project Eternity.

My vote would be to let the series lie fallow for a few more years and let that nasty taste that was the ending fade before starting a new ME project.

Ed130:

Nimzabaat:

My vote would be to let the series lie fallow for a few more years and let that nasty taste that was the ending fade before starting a new ME project.

Ah yes, I can't wait for Project Eternity. My actual point was that I would enjoy a Mass Effect game made by somebody other than Bioware :) I'm pretty sure that Obsidian would let you play as a Turian, or Krogan, or Asari, or *gasp* Elcor!!!

Nimzabaat:

Ed130:

Nimzabaat:

Ah yes, I can't wait for Project Eternity. My actual point was that I would enjoy a Mass Effect game made by somebody other than Bioware :) I'm pretty sure that Obsidian would let you play as a Turian, or Krogan, or Asari, or *gasp* Elcor!!!

Aren't Elcor infantry basically walking artillery platforms?

I would like to ammend my previous post, to include:

Not being made by Bioware.

Being made with next gen graphics and hardware so we can get Elcor infantry included (as well as a holstering animation).

I don't know if anyone's noticed but prequels have a bad habit of sucking. And it's not a coincidence, they have a number of inherent limitations that stunt creativity. I'm not saying it COULDN'T work, but I'd rather Bioware just not try to go down that path.

Bioware should challenge themselves with making a sequel, despite all those crazy endings. It would give us more opportunities to see the fruits of our labour in the first 3 games and they could expand the story so much more. An intergalactic war? Or perhaps the "Chaos" that the Catalyst predicted would return if the reapers were stopped?

One way or another it has to avoid dealing too much with the ME3 endings and the Krogan, Quarian, and Geth will all have to be kept in the background since we don't even know if they're alive or not. Having the story involve any of these would make it way too complicated for the writers.

Frostbyte666:
Hmm the only decent prequel I can think of for the franchise would be the first contact war and hey that way EA can have their tacked on multiplayer of humans vs turians (was it a good idea writing that?).

Sorry but the first contact war wouldn't make for a very compelling story. It was just a brief scuffle that only occurred due to a misunderstanding between Humans and Turians. Neither species knew what they were even fighting for and there was no victor in the end.
Besides, who would want to fight against a race that we know are good and will become our future allies?

Sequel. Make the reaper ending decision automatically the Destroy option. Immediately ignore everything about the star child and make it like it never happened. The Geth were cool but they aren't worth having Deus Effect or Reaper space police. Also you could always have Tali rebuild them out of reverence or something.

Either plunge the galaxy back into war as the Leviathans attempt to conquer the now weakened Turians/Asari/Salarians/Humans. Or completely ignore them and have something less epic but equally gripping.

Personally I always thought it would be fun to have a less structured Mass Effect game in the vein of Sid Meiers Pirates! or Mount and Blade. Like you recruit NPCs both named and generic nameless ones and then travel around the galaxy doing whatever you want. Sort of like a cross between Faster Than Light, Mass Effect and Mount and Blade.

Board ships in dynamic battles where you can decide what happens: do you go straight to their bridge kill the captain and demand the rest surrender? Do you disable their power and then fight guerrilla style whittling down their forces? Do you blow holes in it and let those who can't find space suits suffocate? Trade goods between colonies, sign up with a fleet and fight against pirates and raiders, become one yourself and prey on merchant ships, become a mercenary capturing or killing specific people for money. Set up a small base on an asteroid or backwater planet to avoid notice, or become a warlord trying to conquer the sector with large bases. Captain a dreadnaught with hundreds of soldiers or a small Corvette with a dozen crewmen who rely on surgical boarding strikes to get the job done.

Probably would never happen for an AAA game though. For some reason larger developers aren't interested open games like that which is sad because the ME3 engine is pretty much finished, and without a heavy amount of dialogue writing, voice acting and cut scenery they could probably crank out such a game in a year easily.

No prequel, plxplx. At least not with Shepard.
Just let me play as a Krogan already!

Mass Effect: Chronicles

A game where you explore what your various squadmates did before ME2 and during ME3

For example, you could have a 3-4 hour campaign following Garrus and his band of vigilantes doing hit-and-run ops on Omega, finishing with the betrayal and being pinned down in the building where Shep finds him.

A series of stealth missions involving Thane or Kasumi where you either have to hunt a target to assasinate or work your way towards an item to steal.

A series of missions involving Zaeed and his reckless suicide missions where he emerges the only survivor, he is equipped with Jessie who cannot be unequipped, and if your Shepard didn't help him kill Vido in ME2, an additional bonus mission where you attack Vido's new hideout with the Reapers interrupting the battle halfway through.

Hell, you could have a section based on almost anything Jack did before ME2

There's a lot of potential, I think I'd definitley like to see something set during ME3 at least, so we can see different sides of the conflict. After a galaxy-ending threat like the Reapers I don't know if there's much that can really live up to it.

(Not I only read the first page so sorry if someone already had this idea)

For a prequel, an RTS game that starts towards the beginning of the Rachni Wars. You play a campaign as first the Asari, then Turian, Rachni, Salarians and finishing with the Krogans. Leading into a 2nd game with the Krogan Rebellion. Yes we know the gist of the war, discover the Rachni, get into war with Rachni, bring up the Krogan to kill the Rachni but think of all the little battles that happened during the time that could be explained and developed. Choices wouldn't matter but it's an RTS with good Voice Acting not choices.

Also, how about a sequel where you import your ME3 Shep data into the game and it spits out what galaxy life is like 500 years after ME3. So if the Geth survive, they're there. If you control the Reapers, there are Reapers around and Shep is in the Citadel. But have the game so you go to different places such as the Turian homeworld, not just a moon of it or a different area of the Asari world. See how the Quarians are if they are back home.

EDIT:

Camaranth:
Or set it after 3, pick the control ending, Shep used the reapers to fix everything watched the crew move on and then went "Right since the ones who remain are alright. Your on your own y'all. I'm taken the reapers to the heart of the super massive black hole of the Andromeda galaxy, Peace out!"
That way there is no real change to the universe we know, characters can refer to the invasion and all, memorials and lost family, rebuilding lives etc but it will feel like the ME universe

Issue with that is people did choices such as cured the genophage. How can you have a game with the control ending if there's no genophage when your Shep didn't cure it?

I'd love to see a game of the first contact war with a split campaign, one as the Turians and one as the Humans. It could work really well as there is an opportunity to show humans as a primitive, foreign species in one campaign and Turians as complete cosmic horrors in the other.

I don't know about a prequel, but I wouldn't say no to a completely different character and scenario from Shep and the Reapers.

How about a scenario like Garrus' career with C-sec - what was the case that made him quit?
Or even Jack's or even Samara's life story - even though it's something of a foregone conclusion on both ends. It'd be interesting to see Jack grow from "a scared little girl" to the "all powerful bitch" she became.

Or even a Batarian who fights against the hegemony of his own homeworld - even if it does make him a common terrorist.

But come what may - no more Shepard and saving the universe - just keep things smaller like saving the local planet from idiots / lawbreakers etc.

Kipiru:

SilverBullets000:

Just because you claim to lose intrest in a franchise doesn't mean you won't keep an eye on it

That is exactly what it means, otherwise you still show intrest by reading such news. One either backs out and doesn't bother anymore or he does and he keeps commenting in the hope that his oppinion matters to someone. Simple as that, if you don't care- you don't get to have an oppinion, and as soon as the "I'm through with this franchise" idiots get it, the better.

Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there are more people than you who think the ME franchise would be much better in the hands of someone else?

The "complaining about complaining" is just as bad, if not worse, than the original backlash against the endings. The hardcore fanboys running around yelling "Shepard needs better fans" and fanwanking plot holes and unanswered questions are worse than the people who enjoyed the series and disappointed, precisely because they've done more to harm the franchise than any single complaint could.

ME3 will always be known as "that Bioware game". It's the game major media outlets (and other people in the gaming industry) raked Bioware over the coals for. It's the game that resulted in a large chunk of the project staff bailing over the course of development,

Point is, the people telling Bioware to either stop development (while they still have any sense of morals) or retcon the whole thing have more of an interest in preserving the quality of the series than people who blindly gobble up whatever is thrown their way. That's why you see so much of the hardcore fanbase try to whitewash the complaints about the entire game by saying "it was 99% great!" It wasn't, and there's more than enough evidence to back that up.

I'd rather see Bioware put a bullet in the franchise than see them continue with another nonsensical, plot-device ridden piece of garbage.

If ME3 is any indication then quite frankly it would be best for the series to never have another installment. Since I honestly can't see them salvaging that fuck up given how their best idea for how to fix it was to just polish a turd some more then give it back.

crazyrabbits:

Kipiru:

SilverBullets000:

Just because you claim to lose intrest in a franchise doesn't mean you won't keep an eye on it

That is exactly what it means, otherwise you still show intrest by reading such news. One either backs out and doesn't bother anymore or he does and he keeps commenting in the hope that his oppinion matters to someone. Simple as that, if you don't care- you don't get to have an oppinion, and as soon as the "I'm through with this franchise" idiots get it, the better.

Ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there are more people than you who think the ME franchise would be much better in the hands of someone else?

The "complaining about complaining" is just as bad, if not worse, than the original backlash against the endings. The hardcore fanboys running around yelling "Shepard needs better fans" and fanwanking plot holes and unanswered questions are worse than the people who enjoyed the series and disappointed, precisely because they've done more to harm the franchise than any single complaint could.

ME3 will always be known as "that Bioware game". It's the game major media outlets (and other people in the gaming industry) raked Bioware over the coals for. It's the game that resulted in a large chunk of the project staff bailing over the course of development,

Point is, the people telling Bioware to either stop development (while they still have any sense of morals) or retcon the whole thing have more of an interest in preserving the quality of the series than people who blindly gobble up whatever is thrown their way. That's why you see so much of the hardcore fanbase try to whitewash the complaints about the entire game by saying "it was 99% great!" It wasn't, and there's more than enough evidence to back that up.

I'd rather see Bioware put a bullet in the franchise than see them continue with another nonsensical, plot-device ridden piece of garbage.

Nowhere did I mention BioWare or the quality of ME3. Everyone is free to evaluate a product by their own standarts. But should they find out they "no longer care for it" then they should just point their attention to something else, instead of coming back to discussions about the product they're "no longer interested in", "don't care for" or "are throug with". This discussion is about a game that will happen and BioWare are showing a desire to listen to the players about input that might better the experience for them. So comments from people who are outright saying they "will never play another game in this series" are simply rude and pointless. If someone wants to express an oppinion- by all means, it's your right, but let's stop with the hypocrisy of "no interest".

Radoh:
Oh god, I know right?
First contact war would be amazing, though unfortunately a lot of the cool things like the Rachni Wars, Krogan Rebellion, Morning War etc would all not have Humans in it. I'd be totally fine playing a Quarian or something, but it would probably sell less as a result, which is a hard pitch to make to investors.

Racism's a bitch, ain't it?

OT: I'd prefer if they made it happen after the games. It'd be interesting to see how it turns out. However, I wouldn't mind if they went for a prequel. I'd still play it. For both of the cases, you don't know what to expect, so this should be good.

No I'm very much done with Shepard. I want to see some other characters / settings / stories. Also it's about time we get to play as a Turian.

So let me get this straight, alot of fans say how bad ME3's ending is and Bioware hides behind 'artistic integrity' in their refusal to change it, but now they go asking the fans what they would prefer for the next ME game???

Tien Shen:
So let me get this straight, alot of fans say how bad ME3's ending is and Bioware hides behind 'artistic integrity' in their refusal to change it, but now they go asking the fans what they would prefer for the next ME game???

What is it that confuses you? The ME3 story was already done- there was no changing it. Here the story is yet to be specified and they are asking for input.

I take the stance that they should finally kill this franchise.
Mass Effect needs to die.

Bioware's thought process:
"Oh god please say past we have no fucking idea how to salvage the ending we need to do a prequel oh god"

After, definitely after.

Besides, the time window is so restrictive (2157 first contact to 2183 ME1) it hurts, and what can you do that doesn't undermine what we've seen? the only choice is to go forward.

Mass Effect:
First Contact

Make it a squad-based FPS centered around the First Contact War with at least one mission before contact as a sort of "what if" training scenario when humans were considering the possibility of discovering hostile alien life. I'm thinking along the lines of Republic Commandos for this one though with a level or two of Space Combat because why not.

Honestly I think they should do a sequel but to avoid the shitty ending of M3 place the story so far in to the future that there are totaly new races and the old are either exticnt or in complete decline. This not only paves the way for a completely new story but shuffles the Mass Effect history in to darkness and for everyone's sake can we please play something other than a human soldier in space that old horse needs to be led into the back paddock and put down (eg WH40K, Halo etc). Are pure alien story at this point would be such a fresh breath of air and a new chance for Bioware not to fuck it up.

Shoggoth2588:

Mass Effect:
First Contact

Make it a squad-based FPS centered around the First Contact War with at least one mission before contact as a sort of "what if" training scenario when humans were considering the possibility of discovering hostile alien life. I'm thinking along the lines of Republic Commandos for this one though with a level or two of Space Combat because why not.

Thats been done its called Halo.

Everybody is saying if it's after they would have to pick one cannon ending which i don't think it's true, all they have to do is either save import again or give an option for you to pick one.

Then say the Reapers (if alive) are laying low, Geth (if alive) built their Death Star and are also laying low, the green glow faded, someone else cured the krogan years after... yada, yada, yada... everything is the same.

I'd prefer it to be after.

I want the universe to move forward not backwards since it might devolve into what Capcom does with practically all of their franchises and we all know how well that sort of stunt goes.

Also, I want to see how shepard's decisions in the game impacts the future generations later on much in the same way that my previous Dragon Age protagonists' have an impact on Dragon Age 2.

I'd have a lot of issues if it were a prequel.

I mean, can they have a prequel which will have a save file that we can import to Mass Effect 1 to see how important it is?

Although the idea of having a prequel without humans does sound kinda intriguing.

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:

Kipiru:

"No" to what? If you're saying No to another game in the series, then please go hide in a hole and stop bothering us. If not- then clarify.

Thank you for so kindly accepting my opinion.
/angry sarcasm
>:(

Sorry- i've just had it with haters. Your oppinion on the subject is valid, if you still have vested interest in the franchise, otherwise it would be just trolling. No to the idea of a prequel is actually my thought as well.

He isn't allowed to voice his opinion about the game if it runs contrary to yours? That is not how discussions work...
Negative criticism is also helpful. It helps Bioware to learn from mistakes and improve upon it in the future.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here