BioWare Asks Gamers if They Want a Mass Effect Prequel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

A game about the first contact war would be fun. Or, if it's going to be after, try like 100 years after where the civilisations are only just starting to get back on their feet.

Depends on whose writing and if Casey Hudson pulled the same shit that he did with the ME3 ending. If Mac Walters is the writer again then just don't make it, if you get a decent writer then go for a prequel so I can still pretend ME3 didn't happen.

Muunokhoi:

Shoggoth2588:

Mass Effect:
First Contact

Make it a squad-based FPS centered around the First Contact War with at least one mission before contact as a sort of "what if" training scenario when humans were considering the possibility of discovering hostile alien life. I'm thinking along the lines of Republic Commandos for this one though with a level or two of Space Combat because why not.

Thats been done its called Halo.

What really disappoints me about this is how Reach threw Covenant at you from the very beginning. Based on that one book I read that one time apparently there was some sort of intrigue involving...a rebellion maybe? I dunno...Also Halo isn't squad based. 1 - 3 feature humans who die easily and don't contribute to combat from Normal difficulty up and, Reach gave you immortal Spartans until the plot called for them to die.

edit: Kat's death was the stupidest aspect of the entire Halo franchise.

I want a prequel. Just to see if they bring the old heatsinks back, and what stupid excuse they make up if they don't.

Shoggoth2588:

Muunokhoi:

Shoggoth2588:

Mass Effect:
First Contact

Make it a squad-based FPS centered around the First Contact War with at least one mission before contact as a sort of "what if" training scenario when humans were considering the possibility of discovering hostile alien life. I'm thinking along the lines of Republic Commandos for this one though with a level or two of Space Combat because why not.

Thats been done its called Halo.

What really disappoints me about this is how Reach threw Covenant at you from the very beginning. Based on that one book I read that one time apparently there was some sort of intrigue involving...a rebellion maybe? I dunno...Also Halo isn't squad based. 1 - 3 feature humans who die easily and don't contribute to combat from Normal difficulty up and, Reach gave you immortal Spartans until the plot called for them to die.

edit: Kat's death was the stupidest aspect of the entire Halo franchise.

Not insulting you mate, just pointing out that it has been done to a fashion and the oversaturation of FPS games in the market would not help ME. Also the only squad-based FPS I have ever seen work was the latest X-COM and that was less FPS more RTS so take what you will. Also just to give you a heads up I have never played a Halo game since the original and only skimmed over the synopsis of the sequals I'm more of a WH40K guy so I like my space marines more than theirs. I will concede though that from what I read Kat's death was kinda cheap.

lapan:

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:

Thank you for so kindly accepting my opinion.
/angry sarcasm
>:(

Sorry- i've just had it with haters. Your oppinion on the subject is valid, if you still have vested interest in the franchise, otherwise it would be just trolling. No to the idea of a prequel is actually my thought as well.

He isn't allowed to voice his opinion about the game if it runs contrary to yours? That is not how discussions work...
Negative criticism is also helpful. It helps Bioware to learn from mistakes and improve upon it in the future.

Did you even read what you quoted?! Where exactly did I say he couldn't voice a negative opinion(as long as it was on topic)? I actually even said my opinion was the same as his! Why did you write this?

What about a sequel in which you play as a human soldier that was on his way with his crew to the fight on Earth but was "hit" by the color beam of our decision in ME3, making the ship warp into an unknown part of space with other species and stuff.

If you chose to merge in ME3, your main could have special "merge" powers.

If you chose destroy then you don't have access to your ship AI and get something else in return.

If you chose control then maybe you are less likely to be hit by space pirates or whatever, I dunno.

The goal of the game would be to come back to known space, but in the end you would end up involved into a bigger conflict, saving a different part of a galaxy and deciding to stay there/open a portal/gate to known space so both galaxies can work together. Make another sequel in this new galaxy and NEVER return to Earth. That way the choices of ME3 don't have to influence ME4 too much.

Nope. Mass effect 1 was wonderful, me2 had more lazy writing. Things happened because the authors needed them to happen and they couldn't be bothered to explain things.
ME3 was more of that. It had some really good moments. And others that made me cringe. The ending has been talked about enough, so i'll rant about the Geth no longer being an alien hive intelligence that thinks in ways, well, alien to us but rather a collection of individuals.
I can almost smell the "Geth must learn what it's like to be human" Story coming. Because Star Trek didn't do those enough.

The games became stupider and stupider with each installment, so i'd like to not have another Mass effect game so that it may remain in my memory as a franchise that was ended before it was milked to death and served as a place to go for lazy writers.
Like Star Trek and Star Wars.

As much as I would like to play a sequel in which you play as the remaining members of your squad a few years after the Reaper invasion, a prequel seems like the more sensible choice. The ability to start over with a clean slate, long before the galaxy went straight to hell. Perhaps we could play during the First Contact War, either as a human or a turian.

Really, I just want to play another Bioware game.

Kipiru:

lapan:

Kipiru:

Sorry- i've just had it with haters. Your oppinion on the subject is valid, if you still have vested interest in the franchise, otherwise it would be just trolling. No to the idea of a prequel is actually my thought as well.

He isn't allowed to voice his opinion about the game if it runs contrary to yours? That is not how discussions work...
Negative criticism is also helpful. It helps Bioware to learn from mistakes and improve upon it in the future.

Did you even read what you quoted?! Where exactly did I say he couldn't voice a negative opinion(as long as it was on topic)? I actually even said my opinion was the same as his! Why did you write this?

You basically said his opinion is only valid if he still has "vested interest in the francise".

Even if someone doesn't plan to buy the next game or lost interest in sequels/prequels it doesn't mean he can't still voice his opinion about it.

An opinion that he doesn't want to buy either any more Mass Effect games, no matter if sequel or prequel would still be on topic. Of course, citing more reasons would be appropiate but isn't neccesary.

I wouldn't mind so much if they set it somewhere in the region of the First Contact War, that could be interesting.

At least if they make a prequel it means they get time to properly think out what happens after ME3 instead of half-arsing it.

canadamus_prime:

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:
My answer? No. I kind of lost interest in the series after the second game.

"No" to what? If you're saying No to another game in the series, then please go hide in a hole and stop bothering us. If not- then clarify.

/angry sarcasm

Your first post basically implied "I don't care, so therefore, I don't want it to have another installment".

Surely you can see why that's a silly opinion that annoys people.

lapan:

You basically said his opinion is only valid if he still has "vested interest in the francise".

Even if someone doesn't plan to buy the next game or lost interest in sequels/prequels it doesn't mean he can't still voice his opinion about it.

An opinion that he doesn't want to buy either any more Mass Effect games, no matter if sequel or prequel would still be on topic. Of course, citing more reasons would be appropiate but isn't neccesary.

And here you are wrong, I can't change your mind about it, but that's what I think. Still, from all I wrote on this topic, you chose the worst quote to call me out on my policy.

lacktheknack:

canadamus_prime:

Kipiru:

"No" to what? If you're saying No to another game in the series, then please go hide in a hole and stop bothering us. If not- then clarify.

/angry sarcasm

Your first post basically implied "I don't care, so therefore, I don't want it to have another installment".

See- he gets it! Thank you sir!

They have to clear everything they do now. "Is this okay? Can we do this without everyone getting upset?"

They already killed the series credit. Oh look another trilogy with choices that will span games.... Too bad they will mean fuck all, oh and wait we will stand behind our "vision" and not admit we are just rushing the things out for a buck. Another game in the series? The average gamer will not buy it even if they were not "angry" with the ending, why because the people do not trust you anymore.... Case in point Old Republic....

My suggestion for the next Mass Effect game? Just do not do it.

Kipiru:

lacktheknack:

canadamus_prime:

/angry sarcasm

If he really meant that, it would be a silly opinion indeed. Just because he doesn't like it personally doesn't mean they can't make a game for those that still enjoy it enough.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with people saying "I wouldn't buy it myself since i don't think it would be able to satisfy my expectations after what happened to the original triology" though. Which is my own opinion in a nutshell and what i interpreted his to mean.

I just want Casey Hudson to burn to death, pretty much.

Nope.png

No shitting prequels..before the series perhaps but "prequel" suggests tieing it, in some way to the first game, and that kinda tangential money-grubbing just won't fly. It screams that bioware is only as confident in the brand as our collective memory of Mass effect 1 is. Less "is our game awesome or what?" and more "Remember these? cus here's some more!"

lacktheknack:

canadamus_prime:

Kipiru:

/angry sarcasm

I don't care what people think I implied. That's no excuse for disrespecting my opinion. Esp. from a community that always brags about doing otherwise.

Screamarie:

Well I think you could do a double campaign with the First Contact War as well. Play the side of a human, deciding if you're going to roleplay as a character who is for contact or as a character who shouts "those aliens took our jobs! (insert South Park redneck accent)". Then playing the side of a Turian or the like who can decide whether he or she should want the humans crushed or accepted.

True.

Now i would love to see a prequel that plays around the first contact war (also a bit before and after). Telling the story of Saren in the war and his specter status(ending more or less when the first novel starts) and for the human side the story of the illusive man and the rise of Cerberus.

That would be interresting

lapan:

Kipiru:

lacktheknack:

If he really meant that, it would be a silly opinion indeed. Just because he doesn't like it personally doesn't mean they can't make a game for those that still enjoy it enough.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with people saying "I wouldn't buy it myself since i don't think it would be able to satisfy my expectations after what happened to the original triology" though. Which is my own opinion in a nutshell and what i interpreted his to mean.

Thank you! At least someone gets what I was trying to say.

Only if they also turn back the clock on the gameplay and make it NOT be Gears of Badly-Written-Romances again.

How's about some actual RPG mechanics?

Prequel, but only in name only. No characters in common and just the species. Who knows? we ca maybe play as another species for once.

canadamus_prime:

lacktheknack:

canadamus_prime:

/angry sarcasm

I don't care what people think I implied. That's no excuse for disrespecting my opinion. Esp. from a community that always brags about doing otherwise.

So you just throw words around and don't care if they get your message across!? And you want people to respect that? Also, if you took time off from sulking, you will see that I asked you to clarify yourself.

Assuming Bioware actually reads this thread:
No.

Get on with starting a new IP.

I don't trust Bioware not to screw up the ending of a prequel, to be honest.

They'll probably retcon half the events that happened in the original series.

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:

lacktheknack:

So you just throw words around and don't care if they get your message across!? And you want people to respect that? Also, if you took time off from sulking, you will see that I asked you to clarify yourself.

Well what I really wanted to say instead of "disrespecting my opinion" might have inured mod wrath and I wasn't about to risk it. Whatever you thought I meant did not justify telling me to go hide in a hole!

Ed130:

Nimzabaat:

Ed130:

They are doing their own thing with Project Eternity.

My vote would be to let the series lie fallow for a few more years and let that nasty taste that was the ending fade before starting a new ME project.

Ah yes, I can't wait for Project Eternity. My actual point was that I would enjoy a Mass Effect game made by somebody other than Bioware :) I'm pretty sure that Obsidian would let you play as a Turian, or Krogan, or Asari, or *gasp* Elcor!!!

Aren't Elcor infantry basically walking artillery platforms?

I would like to ammend my previous post, to include:

Not being made by Bioware.

Being made with next gen graphics and hardware so we can get Elcor infantry included (as well as a holstering animation).

I'm now thinking of how funny it would be to have that (inspiring speech) "If you're not ready to die, it's because you're already dead" (in the Elcor voice). That insipidly stupid quote was from the ME3 trailer by the way.

I wouldn't mind a game about Garrus' Space-Batman days on Omega...but a prequel eh...

Id be down with one if we could play as other races..not just like in ME3's multiplayer. Otherwise...Meh.

Oh oh. What about a game where you play as Blasto, the first Hanar Spectre!

canadamus_prime:

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:

Well what I really wanted to say instead of "disrespecting my opinion" might have inured mod wrath and I wasn't about to risk it. Whatever you thought I meant did not justify telling me to go hide in a hole!

Now you start explaining what you say, well better late than never. I actually did get a warning from the mods about what I said, but I stand behind its meaning- if you meant No to another game being made, then you should have better not spoken. If that is not what you meant, then the whole "hide in a hole" thing didn't apply to you, right. Be more clear next time and maybe people will take your opinion for what it is, rather than all of this happening.

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:

Kipiru:

Now you start explaining what you say, well better late than never. I actually did get a warning from the mods about what I said, but I stand behind its meaning- if you meant No to another game being made, then you should have better not spoken. If that is not what you meant, then the whole "hide in a hole" thing didn't apply to you, right. Be more clear next time and maybe people will take your opinion for what it is, rather than all of this happening.

Ok, I don't like the direction the series took and thus I don't think it'd be improved by another game. Satisfied?

The fact that not even they know if they want to make it a prequel or a sequel doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. It tells us that they currently have no direction whatsoever.

i would say have the prequel be about Nihlus and how he eventually succumbs to reaper controll to set off the events of the first game

canadamus_prime:

Ok, I don't like the direction the series took and thus I don't think it'd be improved by another game. Satisfied?

Why would I be satisfied? Do you think my life revolves around your opinion? Sorry if I made you think that :) And for the record- It turns out I was right about what you wanted to say and you now know where I think you should go. Your comment is pointless here. Have a nice day!

Kipiru:

canadamus_prime:

Why would I be satisfied? Do you think my life revolves around your opinion? Sorry if I made you think that :) And for the record- It turns out I was right about what you wanted to say and you now know where I think you should go. Your comment is pointless here. Have a nice day!

Pardon me, does that clear things up?
Also, you don't want to know where I think you should go.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here