Minecraft Creator Hard at Work on Spaceship Editor

Minecraft Creator Hard at Work on Spaceship Editor

An accidental Twitter reveal told the internet a little more about Notch's 0x10c.

Twitter is a dangerous thing to play around with, as Markus 'Notch' Persson discovered when he told his followers he was working on a "ship editor" which he was hoping to show at Minecon. The missing word in that sentence was "not", as in "not hoping to show", as it isn't done yet. However the slip did prompt Notch to post some concept art, demonstrating how far along he is with the project.

The editor is for 0x10c, a parallel universe sci-fi game in which space ship travelers accidentally put into deep sleep back in 1988 start waking up in 281 474 976 712 644 AD. These unwilling explorers now face a battle for survival in a dying universe. The concept art is a little sketchy but, apart from Notch's art, the Twitter reveal also prompted Jonatan Pӧljӧ, lead artist on the project, to post more art, this time showing one of the unfortunate crewmen.

"There's no way this will be finished in time [for Minecon]," Notch Tweeted. "Especially considering how inefficient my panic coding is." Take your time, Notch; we can wait.

Source: Twitter

That setting is terrifying.

Anyway, take all the time and space you need, Notch.

281,474,976,710,656 years? I've still got that library book!

so... does anyone know what this game is actually about? I've seen some game footage and it looks like a bunch of claptraps shooting each other. 'spaceship editor' sounds like we get to build our own spaceships to fly around in... does anyone know anything concrete about this?

I hope this game can provide the same creepy yet compelling atmosphere of my two favorite space peril movies

image image

Spaceship editor?
Hopefully we can build multilayer ships and space stations

Ok, I really hope this editor is at least a little like minecraft, but with slopes and maybe curves... Also, at first I didn't care much for news about this game but I am slowly becoming more and more interested in this.

A spaceship Minecraft? Soooo... Kerbal Space Program, yes?

Quaxar:

thank you for that. i hadnt heard of it before and its right up my alley. ill definitely be picking it up in a couple of weeks

wombat_of_war:
thank you for that. i hadnt heard of it before and its right up my alley. ill definitely be picking it up in a couple of weeks

Very welcome. One of my favourite games of just messing around, in fact you can also download a completely free early version with a limited stock of parts. And there's a good amount of modding going on to do even more stuff.
Plus it's physically accurate to the point that I've seen people actually calculate thrust-to-weight ratios and gravity slingshot pathways to the Mun.

As I said, it's space-minecraft already. No need for Notch to make his own version.

wombat_of_war:

Quaxar:

When you do, make a bird for me.

Colour me interested, especially if you can design the spaceship's interior.

Quaxar:

Oooh, I'll have to take a look at that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here