Schoolchildren Flee Mordor Eruption

Schoolchildren Flee Mordor Eruption

A volcano used in the filming of The Lord of the Rings has erupted, spewing hot ash high into the atmosphere.

Mount Tongariro has erupted in New Zealand, startling hikers and scientists alike. The volcano, and much of Tongariro national park, is famous for portraying the blasted landscape of Mordor in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. The scientists were caught by surprise because they were watching another nearby volcano for activity. The hikers were surprised because, according to local Clint Green, "all of a sudden a towering black plume just began erupting very quickly, skyrocketing up, at first I didn't believe what I was seeing." Among the surprised hikers were 90 schoolchildren, whose teachers caught the eruption on video. A spokesperson for GNS Science, the official monitoring organization, said "it was completely unexpected, there were no warning signs beforehand. We were watching Ruapehu waiting for an eruption and instead this came out of nowhere."

Ruapehu, which was expected to erupt some time soon, is nearby - and is perhaps Mordor's more famous volcano. Ruapehu is Amon Amarth, Orodruin, also known as Mount Doom. At least, it stood in for Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings. Ruapehu has recently had a buildup of pressure in a subterranean vent. Tongariro erupted earlier this year, briefly, for the first time in a hundred years, but wasn't due to erupt again this year. GNS said it was impossible to know whether or not the buildup in Ruapehu and the eruption of Tongariro were linked. The ash cloud reportedly climbed about 4,000m into the air. Locals were told to expect light ashfall over the next few days, which should complete the illusion that they live in a grim, despairing land ruled by a dark lord.

Source: Discovery news

It would be kind of interesting to see a volcano erupt, but I hope all of those guys are safe and all with no casualties.

So Peter Jackson was totally right to sacrifice those animals thus delaying the eruption until the end of filming after all!

*groan*

Okay, who dropped their ring of abominable evil and power into the lava this time?

Looks like Frodo got the wrong Volcano.

...Yikes, looks like someone has to get rid of the Ring of Doom again...

Aren't you not allowed to film or take pictures of that mountain, because it's a Maori sacred site or something? Or is that a different one?

Ash nazg 'drbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

AHAHAHHA! Really? This didn't take up 10 minutes on our news and its on The Escapist, you guys must love us up there :D

I'm just imaging this volcano as an old man shaking his cane and saying "Get off my lawn!"

Stomperchomper:
Aren't you not allowed to film or take pictures of that mountain, because it's a Maori sacred site or something? Or is that a different one?

Yeah, that's a different one, the one you are thinking of is more North, between Auckland and Hamilton and its not much of a mountain, more like a hill -_-"

It was only throwing up because Golum gave it food poisoning.

Hear that Italy? Turns out this kinda shit is hard to predict!

I liked how one of the kids in that video was screaming "We're all gonna die!".

So many Lord of the Rings references! Although with a title like that, how can people not...

OT: Let's hope no one was hurt! Hope the ash-fall won't be harmful to anyone.

Shaidz:

Stomperchomper:

Yeah, that's a different one, the one you are thinking of is more North, between Auckland and Hamilton and its not much of a mountain, more like a hill -_-"

Ah, thanks, for both the correction and saving me the disappointment of going to NZ and expecting an epic mountain there XD

Please.

One does not simply flee Mt Doom.

And I'll see myself out.

Stomperchomper:

Shaidz:

Stomperchomper:

Ah, thanks, for both the correction and saving me the disappointment of going to NZ and expecting an epic mountain there XD

Mount Tongariro and that area is epic and Mt Ruapehu had some amazing Skiing, its just the Maori burial hill that's disappointing, i dont see why they get so worked up about it -_-"

Holy shit... I've hiked on that mountain...

Its' a real tragedy: Two hobbits are missing, presumed dead.

AngryMongoose:
Hear that Italy? Turns out this kinda shit is hard to predict!

Oh god... why did you have to bring up THAT whole scapegoat affair again?

thesilentman:
It would be kind of interesting to see a volcano erupt, but I hope all of those guys are safe and all with no casualties.

There were no injuries. I don't think anyone was even remotely close to it. But it did scare the hell out of those that were....remotely close. Still...I was on that mountain a few weeks ago, so I'm glad it waited until now.

Shaidz:
AHAHAHHA! Really? This didn't take up 10 minutes on our news and its on The Escapist, you guys must love us up there :D

It is relative to entertainment. It was used in the Lord of the Rings filming and now with The Hobbit coming to theaters in a little over three weeks, it relates to Tolkien stuff so it is newsworthy.

CrazyGirl17:
...Yikes, looks like someone has to get rid of the Ring of Doom again...

My idea's similar, though I say that the Ring of Doom was a ruse by Sauron. His power really wasn't in the ring, and he decided to lay in wait again, and now he is coming back again.

People are looking for what the 2012 world ending disaster will be, so I say this is it. Sauron returns, end of the world.

Hero in a half shell:

Don't worry, for as long as hope still remains, they may yet complete their task.

Hope yes, but a fool's hope.

Ldude893:
*groan*

Okay, who dropped their ring of abominable evil and power into the lava this time?

Ok, this one made me snort orange juice. Well played sir.

One does not simply flee Mordor...

The weird thing is Ruapehu erupts all the time, Tongariro's a lot more docile in comparison.

One does not simply walk out of mordor.
well its very likely that the two neighboring volcanoes are linked underneath and the pressure from one has broke out in another that had weaker crust. (the one predicted to erupt had erupted this year previously which likely hardened its hole more than the mount doom had naturally.

JonB:
Ruapehu, which was expected to erupt some time soon, is nearby - and is perhaps Mordor's more famous volcano. Ruapehu is Amon Amarth, Orodruin, also known as Mount Doom. At least, it stood in for Mount Doom in The Lord of the Rings.

Actually Mount Ngauruhoe was used as Mount Doom. Scenes on Mount Doom were filmed on Mount Ruapehu.

Ldude893:
*groan*

Sorry. My bad. It's been building since I chucked my wedding ring off it a few years ago to celibrate my divorce. I have it on video. It felt good. :D

PurePareidolia:
The weird thing is Ruapehu erupts all the time, Tongariro's a lot more docile in comparison.

I still think it's weird that this was completely unexpected. Tongariro did erupt last August as well. Granted, after 115 years of being silent. Ah well, just shows how unpredictable it all is.

TopazFusion:

Callate:
Holy shit... I've hiked on that mountain...

Same here.

I hiked the alpine pass of that mountain in March of this year.

Me too, last January. ^^

Hero in a half shell:

I believe there's a hobbit search party going after them, not expecting anyhobbit alive :L
It'll be interesting to see if it actually erupts :L

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here