Metro: Last Light Developer Dumps on Wii U

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Eri:

Xan Krieger:

Darmy647:
Im curious about something, and im Defidentally sure the escapist community would be happy to fill me in, but isn't the wii u cpu on par with the 360 and ps3?? I have not been keeping up, pc gamer elites and what-not.

It should noted that the Wii U is a new system so having hardware equivalent to last gen's systems is nothing to be proud of.

I wish more people understood this fact instead of stupidly defending a blatantly underpowered console.

You should note I'm not calling it a terrible system, I'm calling it 6 years late to the party.

He wasn't defending the console, he was trying to confirm if the CPU was equal and didn't mention his opinion of the system at all. There is defending a console, and then there is confirming the facts. I wish people weren't so quick to pounce on statements and that they didn't make assumptions about where people stand.

It seems odd to me to develop for the Xbox 360 then not develop for another console that is at least on par. I think that they probably just don't have much faith in the Wii U and are saying that it's underpowered to justify not developing on it. If that's the case I can understand.

Mr.Mattress:
Can the Xbox 360 or PS3 use Unreal Engine 4? No? My point still stands: The WiiU is much stronger then current consoles.

Yes, I did, but I only backed off of it because it falsely includes the PC. However, The WiiU's version is still graphically superior to the 360/PS3, as this non-biased video shows. Also, is the Xbox's version of BLOPS 2 in 1080p? No? I thought so...

Also, I'm going to say that Digital Foundry is wrong. No One Else Has said anything about it bad Gameplay wise. These are the first guys to say anything negative about it, so I think they're just making stuff up, or making mountains out of anthills.

Unreal Engine 3 also runs on mobile devices, and while Unreal Engine 4 doesn't yet the article you linked to the "Wii U being able to run games based on UE4" states this:

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable. We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could. But Unreal Engine 3 is a really good fit for that platform."[/i]

He mentions it in the same sentence as mobile devices and clearly points out that it's *supremely scalable*, not much unlike UE3 that also runs on mobile devices. (although games released on those don't have much in common with recently released Tech Demos) That they won't port their engine to the platform or do any games themselves makes it rather clear where they personally stand.

And we already know how well current gen Unreal Engine 3 games are apparently doing on the Wii U...: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-arkham-city-wii-u-face-off

The same Website you quoted before had this to say: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/batman_arkham_city_armored_edition_dogged_by_performance_issues

Performance-wise it appears the Wii U version suffers with frame rate issues, similar to the ones found when comparing all three versions of Call of Duty Black Ops II, with the game often appearing to judder, especially when multiple enemies are on screen - something that tends to happen quite a lot. The game could also have streaming issues as cut-scenes reportedly jerk around a lot more than in the other versions.

And Digital Foundry is seldomly wrong, I would trust them a lot more than some random YouTubers you've picked up.

The Xbox version of CoD: BLOPS2 runs as much at 1080p as the Wii U version does, since both can upscale to that resolution and I believe we've discussed this before too: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

All of this means that the new version gets the same 880x720 native resolution, with the same sharp upscaling filter employed on the Xbox 360 release. There's even 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) - the first time we've seen hardware AA deployed in-game on a Wii U title (admittedly, it's early days there).

True, Treyarch have had years to optimise the COD engine for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and would not have had this luxury in preparing the game for Wii U. Furthermore, on a basic level, Black Ops 2 itself would have been designed with no regard for the Nintendo hardware. That said, we find it hard to blame the developer here - we have seen generational leaps in CPU, GPU and RAM technology since the launch of the Xbox 360 seven years ago, and for the Wii U hardware to under-perform to this extent on such a crucially important game doesn't look good for future prospects. Bearing in mind the specific areas that are causing the most noticeable dips in performance, once again it looks like the CPU is the main bottleneck.

The only version that runs the game natively at 1080p and above with DirectX11 features and other goodies, including improved Textures is yet again the PC.

Be careful of not entering fanboy-ish territory against valid criticism of the platform.

Hammeroj:
That can be a reason. I know what the Uncanny Valley is, but personally I very rarely if ever experience it, especially with video-games. Maybe it's the fact that I don't expect games to do the animations and such perfectly, maybe I'm more prone to enjoy the craftsmanship of such things over noticing the little details and so on. Thing is, it's not even close to universal. That's why I asked you a direct question - do you think the animations/details are better now? Go into detail if you can.

Well then your point is pretty vapid because I at no point said the WiiU is weaker than either of them. In fact I said in the very post you quoted that it's stronger.

The Teeth look like they were painted in his mouth, for example. The facial movements to frown were freaky. His eyes are super shiny. His flesh looks fake and papery. The shadows look off to me. Lastly, the hair isn't detailed enough, it looks fake.

I understand you didn't say the WiiU is weak, but you keep saying the WiiU is hardly stronger then Past-Gen consoles. I'm telling you that it is indeed a lot stronger.

Mr.Mattress:
The Teeth look like they were painted in his mouth, for example. The facial movements to frown were freaky. His eyes are super shiny. His flesh looks fake and papery. The shadows look off to me. Lastly, the hair isn't detailed enough, it looks fake.

I understand you didn't say the WiiU is weak, but you keep saying the WiiU is hardly stronger then Past-Gen consoles. I'm telling you that it is indeed a lot stronger.

Now read my post again and answer the question. Not going to repeat it again.

If I had said it were hardly stronger, I would've said it's not stronger at all, because that's what hardly means. Semantics aside, a gigabyte of RAM dedicated to games is nothing to be joyous about (twice a pitiful amount is still rather pitiful, if you ask me), and neither is the crappy CPU. The only thing the WiiU has going for it is the GPU. Which will have the gimmicky screens, 1080p and offloaded CPU tasks to deal with.

Don't expect a whole lot of progress is what I said. Because there won't be. Don't expect any fancy Metro2033 lighting effects, I said, because it won't be able to do that. The best you can hope for, visually, is that the draw distance, when things pop into screen and stuff like that becomes somewhat less embarrassing. And I wouldn't even expect that until the devs learn to optimize for the WiiU, by which time an actual next gen of consoles will probably have arrived.

Dexter111:
snip

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is this 720p business? Why does BO2 for the Wii U run on 720p?

God damned right.
Fuck the WiiU, man, I'm with /v/ on this one.

Hammeroj:

Dexter111:
snip

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What is this 720p business? Why does BO2 for the Wii U run on 720p?

It doesn't run at 720p, it runs at 880x720 just like the other consoles: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241 , then it is stretched to 720p (1280x720) and upscaled to 1080p (1920x1080)

These are the internal resolutions and Anti-Aliasing methods of the Wii U games released so far:

WiiU

Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition = 1280x720 (FXAA)
Carl on Duty: Black Ops 2 = 880x720 (2xAA)
Darksiders 2 = 1152x640 (post-AA)
Mass Effect 3: Conrad Edition = 1280x720 (FXAA)
New Super Mario Bros. U = 1280x720 (no AA on world map, post-AA in-game)
ZombiU = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Nintendo Land = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 = dynamic 720x720 to 1280x720, mostly 1024x720 with 2 characters in-game (with motion blur), max 900x720 with 3 characters, max 800x720 with 4 characters (no AA in-game, 2xAA for character LED background or no-characters-environment-only/rankings view), more often 1280x720 with 2 characters no motion blur
Nano Assault Neo = 1280x720 (no AA)
Trine 2: Director's Cut = 1280x720 (post-AA)

It does that while offering worse performance and FPS dipping into the 20s, read this article, it's pretty enlightening: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

Dexter111:
It doesn't run at 720p, it runs at 880x720 just like the other consoles: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241 , then it is stretched to 720p (1280x720) and upscaled to 1080p (1920x1080)

These are the internal resolutions and Anti-Aliasing methods of the Wii U games released so far:

WiiU

Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition = 1280x720 (FXAA)
Carl on Duty: Black Ops 2 = 880x720 (2xAA)
Darksiders 2 = 1152x640 (post-AA)
Mass Effect 3: Conrad Edition = 1280x720 (FXAA)
New Super Mario Bros. U = 1280x720 (no AA on world map, post-AA in-game)
ZombiU = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Nintendo Land = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 = dynamic 720x720 to 1280x720, mostly 1024x720 with 2 characters in-game (with motion blur), max 900x720 with 3 characters, max 800x720 with 4 characters (no AA in-game, 2xAA for character LED background or no-characters-environment-only/rankings view), more often 1280x720 with 2 characters no motion blur
Nano Assault Neo = 1280x720 (no AA)
Trine 2: Director's Cut = 1280x720 (post-AA)

It does that while offering worse performance and FPS dipping into the 20s, read this article, it's pretty enlightening: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

My bad for assuming the consoles handled even 720p. Oh wow.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here