Empire, Jedi Writer Returns to Star Wars

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Empire, Jedi Writer Returns to Star Wars

Disney is bringing Lawrence Kasdan back to Star Wars.

If the name "Lawrence Kasdan" rings a bell, it's probably because he was the primary screenwriter on both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and he also managed to squeeze Raiders of the Lost Ark in there too. He's done a lot of other work but it's those three titles (and the two Star Wars ones, primarily) that cemented his legend with sci-fi cinema fans. And now he's back.

A lot of jokes have been made about Disney's acquisition of the Star Wars franchise but it sure doesn't seem to be horsing around with it. The House of the Mouse announced yesterday that Kasdan has been hired to one of the sequels that will follow "Star Wars 7," the first Disney-controlled Star Wars flick. X-Men 3 screenwriter Simon Kinberg is signed to do the other.

It's exciting news for fans of the series who'd like to see it get back to its roots, but don't hold your breath waiting. The next Star Wars flick, written by Toy Story 3 guy Michael Arndt, won't be out until 2015 and you can count on at least two more years after that before Star Wars 8 rolls around - and since it's not clear yet which of the two follow-ups Kasdan will write, we could end up waiting even longer than that for his return.

Source: E-Online

This is a very good thing. Kasdan was one of the few people who called Lucas out on some of his more questionable ideas, and he seemed like a sort of mediator between George and the Directors on Empire and Jedi.

Awesome. I really hope the new trilogy is better than the prequels.

That is actually....good news.
IT seems that Disney is really not screwing around with their new movie franchise.

Just so long as I don't the word midichlorians outside of reference to a pre-Renaissance themed pool party.

For every good thing that I read about this I read something bad as well. Kasdan being back is a good thing but the screenwriter for X-Men 3 is involved? That movie was beyond crap so who's idea was that?

I've had constant ups and downs with my opinion on this...

It started with a down, they were probably going to make another bad starwars movie
    Then an up, with the realization that george lucas wouldn't change anything
    Then another up, when I thought about how Disney doesn't just have a bunch of kids films on its movie list
    Then a down, with the Toy Story 3 guy directing it or something (I don't actually like Toy Story..)
    Then another down, with the rumor that Darth Vader would be coming back, thus disregarding the books
    Now an up, with the writer from the original trilogy doing the writing.

A Smooth Criminal:
with the rumor that Darth Vader would be coming back

How is it even possible? It is those wonky Palpatine's resurrections from Expanded Universe all over again? Btw, the books were mostly bad, so ignoring them is actually a good thing.

I think this might be good and it hasn't even been announced yet which path they are going to take with this new trilogy.

And lo, God looked down and said,"That's the best I can do. Try not to screw it up this time."

I'm seriously happy that he's back. Kasdan is the one who held back Lucas from most of his insanity, and I'm willing to be he still remembers how to capture the Star Wars spirit.

I realize the irony of using the following image, but it's appropriate nonetheless:
Now if only Irvin Kershner was still alive...

Andy Chalk:

X-Men 3 screenwriter Simon Kinberg is signed to do the other.

I was really happy until you put that line in there, thanks...... What we need as the final SW film is another X-Men 3........ Didn't Lucas do enough damage with 1-3?

That's cool, they should of had him do all 3 to at least keep it consistent.

Though who is actually writing the story? These are just screen writers? I guess I'm just confused about screen play terminology

Stop! Stoooop! Star Wars is already dead!

Erm...

If it's going to be a trilogy shouldn't all three movies be written by the same team?

Wouldn't a thing like this make the movies quite inconsistent?

MorganL4:

Andy Chalk:

X-Men 3 screenwriter Simon Kinberg is signed to do the other.

I was really happy until you put that line in there, thanks...... What we need as the final SW film is another X-Men 3........ Didn't Lucas do enough damage with 1-3?

now now, let's not forget that he produced X-Men First Class, maybe he learned something

I'm very excited for this, I'm pretty sure the Darth Vader revival thing is just a rumour, they'd never give that the green light, and for the first time in my life I'm going to see a Star Wars movie in live-action with no idea what will happen, I could not be more excited than I am right now

Disney needs to do 5 things to get off my shitlist.

1)Return DisneyToon Studios/Disney Movie Toons back to their pre 2003 days, doing the same kind of stuff they did in the 90s.

2)Make a new X-Men animated series as good as the 90s one, or make 1 X-Men movie that won't piss me off.

3)Make 1 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie that genuinely pleases nostalgia fans.

4)Create another channel that shows only classic things actually made by Disney, & it can't include purchased franchises.

5)Enough with the quirky fast-paced facial expressions, endless agonizing puns, & toddler-brained condescending whitewashed purity humor. Toon violence was good enough for Donald & Goofy.

Hagi:
Erm...

If it's going to be a trilogy shouldn't all three movies be written by the same team?

Check out the writing credentials for the Indiana Jones movies. No writer wrote more than one film.

Well this seems like good news though I'm still not getting my hopes up but the future looks brighter. I don't really care anymore what they do with the Star Wars universe anymore anyway. Maybe the movie will be good and I'll care again and if it's bad, well one more to the list. Won't change anything for me.
Also, I hope that they don't really care about EU. Maybe just take some good things from there but just do whatever they want without having to keep things consistent with it.

Soviet Heavy:

Hagi:
Erm...

Check out the writing credentials for the Indiana Jones movies. No writer wrote more than one film.

I could be mistaken, it's been quite a while but aren't the Indiana Jones movies essentially stand-alone movies?

As in the main character and some of the supporting cast is the same but each movie has an independent storyline which is fully wrapped up by the end of the movie.

If they're going with the standard trilogy format then that'll be quite different for Star Wars, it'll be one continuous storyline with only sub-plots wrapping up at the end of the first two movies.

I don't know, just seems odd to me. Kinda like having each Lord of the Rings movie being directed by a different person, entirely possible but I think the whole would have suffered for it.

He worked on the Empire Strikes Back?
Hallelujah indeed!!

Hagi:

Soviet Heavy:

Hagi:
-snippy-

-snippy snap-

I could be mistaken, it's been quite a while but aren't the Indiana Jones movies essentially stand-alone movies?

As in the main character and some of the supporting cast is the same but each movie has an independent storyline which is fully wrapped up by the end of the movie.

If they're going with the standard trilogy format then that'll be quite different for Star Wars, it'll be one continuous storyline with only sub-plots wrapping up at the end of the first two movies.

I don't know, just seems odd to me. Kinda like having each Lord of the Rings movie being directed by a different person, entirely possible but I think the whole would have suffered for it.

The original star wars movies were all 3 directed by someone else.

likalaruku:
3)Make 1 Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie that genuinely pleases nostalgia fans.

That basically makes sure they stay there forever because those two fanbases are unpleasable...

I dunno, to me this seems like its possibly going to present what will be the first cracks in this foundation.

While the one is lauded in history, Jedi is considered by far the worst of the original trilogy. Then the other guy comes from X3 fame? Yeah, not real reassuring.

But honestly, neither of those are the problem. What I think the problem is the fact that you already have 2 tagged in for what is almost certainly going to be a trilogy. Im sorry, competing and conflicting visions within the same story arch really are not good. Harry Potter Survived this by having one solid backbone of a preexisting story to guide through the arch.. While 7-9 will likely have a general theme, this opens up waaaaay too much opportunity for fan criticisms to influence the product, and create too much contrast between the films practically begging to be tore apart.

tl;dr: This might be a bad omen... Too many cooks in the kitchen.

That is awesome news, but the rest of the so called "talent" is a bit lackluster. Though, all of them are effectively better than Lucas ever was.

viranimus:

While the one is lauded in history, Jedi is considered by far the worst of the original trilogy. Then the other guy comes from X3 fame? Yeah, not real reassuring.

I don't know if I have ever talked to someone who considered Jedi the "worst in the trilogy". A New Hope gets away with being good because it was the first one. But this one is by the far the worst of the original trilogy. Of course, we all know Empire was the best. And don't forget that he wrote Raiders of the Lost Arc. I'm in agreement about X3. X2 was a far far superior film. But meh, we are all entitled to our opinions, my friend. I was just surprised to hear someone say Jedi was "considered" to be the worst when I have never heard this before, personally.

CortexReaver:

A Smooth Criminal:
with the rumor that Darth Vader would be coming back

How is it even possible? It is those wonky Palpatine's resurrections from Expanded Universe all over again? Btw, the books were mostly bad, so ignoring them is actually a good thing.

I feel as though there will be flashbacks that have Vader in them OR the plot of the film is going to be "Vader comes back but it is not the real Vader, just a person using the moniker and same costume" OR the films will be between episode III and IV.

surprised that nobody posted this yet

also, looking forward to the terror of what is to come

likalaruku:
Disney needs to do 5 things to get off my shitlist.

1)Return DisneyToon Studios/Disney Movie Toons back to their pre 2003 days, doing the same kind of stuff they did in the 90s.

2)Make a new X-Men animated series as good as the 90s one, or make 1 X-Men movie that won't piss me off.

4)Create another channel that shows only classic things actually made by Disney, & it can't include purchased franchises.

5)Enough with the quirky fast-paced facial expressions, endless agonizing puns, & toddler-brained condescending whitewashed purity humor. Toon violence was good enough for Donald & Goofy.

1) Don't care.
2)X-Men First Class. Seriously. It's AWESOME.
3) Wait for it... I mean after all, screenwriters who were FANS of Star Wars will know what made star wars great.
4) Almost everything a company today has was purchased from somebody. If nothing else, the original creators.
5) *takes a breath* .... *sigh* got me there.

2015?! But we'll all be dead in less than a month!

Finally! someone who knows what the hell they're doing in the franchise...<.<

Disney isn't some weakling when it comes to making movies. They might be a little money crazed, but I'll be damned if they don't make great films. I completely trust them with star wars. Lets hope I won't regret that.

Hrrum...the guy who wrote the best Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, and introduced to us both Indiana Jones and Marion...

...and yet, the same guy who must have written Ewoks into Return of the Jedi...

...cannot tell if good thing...

Empire was my favorite of the original trilogy, so we'll see how this goes... but the whole 'Darth Vader coming back' thing is going to kill any credibility these movies have. Unless he just does what he does in the Thrawn Trilogy, ghost in once like Obi-wan and then fades away forever. That would be fine.

Also, I concur with the general thought that X-Men 3 was garbage and it's writer should not be allowed near Star Wars. I'm not gonna say that there is no way it could possibly be worse than Episode III, though. As Garfield once said, "Never say things can't get any worse, because things will find a way."

Okay, here are a few things.

This is good news in my view. I am hopeful. The writer of Raiders, Empire, and Jedi returning to do work is a good thing.

Listen, I know it's fun to hate on Disney, but think about it. They have made some of the best animated films in history. They made the Marvel movies, ending with the Avengers. Those, at the worst, were still watchable and made some great casting choices. Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury. Edward Norton and then Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. I felt Chris Evans played a great Captain America. And you gotta love Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. I doubt anyone would say that those movies or even the casting choices were bad.

But, hey, don't take my word for it. Here's Angry Joe.

Look how excited he is.

Th37thTrump3t:
2015?! But we'll all be dead in less than a month!

My thoughts exactly.

In all honesty, this doesn't sound all too bad. With the one exception being the rumor that they're going to resurrect Darth Vader (I really hope this means they're just bringing back the guy in the armor and they're not actually gonna resurrect Anakin Skywalker, therefore ruining the entire point of the Star Wars movie saga), the Disney-led Star Wars films sound like they're not entirely going to suck.

However, if I read anything involving the "Trade Federation" or "tax disputes" in the opening crawl to Episode 7, I am going to burn my cinema down.

MortisLegio:

Awesome. I really hope the new trilogy is better than the prequels.

Well, the bar is set pretty low.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or