Google Rallies Opposition to U.N. Internet Treaty

Pages PREV 1 2 3

http://www.whatistheitu.org/

This was brought to you by Fight For The Future and Access Now aka not google. Also, in case you didn't watch the video, this is SOPA on an international scale, but worse, not to mention that the UN will give countries the power to tax the internet.

Oh, and yes, this will harm developing countries and encourage governments to take away the freedom of speech.

Rainforce:
as much as I don't like google...I still think that having russia/china/etc. even partly in control is a greater evil than the company that just tries to spam us to death.

ETERNAL-chaplain:
I suppose fear is the most rational answer I can find.

well, fear (mostly of losing control) is one of the biggest factors when it comes to grand-scale political decisions : D

This. I find Google's constant campaigning in this regard nothing less than suspicious, and I have to examine every claim they make carefully considering their obvious bias and self-interest(is my free and open access to the net -really- being threatened this time, or is someone just trying to make it harder for Google to spy on everything I do even if I've never visited one of their websites or used their services?); but this case does seem to merit concern. Give their track record, involving even many developed Western national governments more control over the 'net is a worry, never bloody mind Russia and China.

The U.S. hasn't done shit to censor the internet. Yet. If it does, then I am all for moving it, and the beauty of the internet and the free market is that it is easily switched. However, creating precedence for an unelected body to have control over the most important tool of free expression in the world is madness.

Magichead:

Rainforce:
as much as I don't like google...I still think that having russia/china/etc. even partly in control is a greater evil than the company that just tries to spam us to death.

ETERNAL-chaplain:
I suppose fear is the most rational answer I can find.

well, fear (mostly of losing control) is one of the biggest factors when it comes to grand-scale political decisions : D

This. I find Google's constant campaigning in this regard nothing less than suspicious, and I have to examine every claim they make carefully considering their obvious bias and self-interest(is my free and open access to the net -really- being threatened this time, or is someone just trying to make it harder for Google to spy on everything I do even if I've never visited one of their websites or used their services?); but this case does seem to merit concern. Give their track record, involving even many developed Western national governments more control over the 'net is a worry, never bloody mind Russia and China.

Anyone with half a brain knows Google is secretly evil, but if they're opposing the more outright and stereotypical villains, which the governments of the world seem to think is the hip thing these days, then the enemy of our enemies becomes our friend, at least for now.

Seriously, giving countries like China and the middle east any fucking say whatsoever in how the internet as a whole is mandated makes things worse for everyone, and the United States government is trying harder every year to become a Despotism in the guise of a democracy, using increasingly clever wording to trick us into signing away our every last right, so yeah, every bill like this needs to be opposed, whether it benefits Google's mustache twirling ways or not.

I'm not too worried really i think the us and us companies like the control they have over the internet and as a result this bill will likely get the us ambassador's veto and some palms will prolly be greased to assure that fact. the un is a sad joke anyway with countries only following rulings that they like for the most part

Oh, for the love of...

Governments, listen for a moment.

To those who are merely misguided and sincere in your attempts to improve your countries: Listen to the actual experts, the people who built the Internet, and stop trying to screw with it. The damage you could do is incredible, both now and to future innovation.

To those who are blinded by bribes "campaign contributions": Please find the nearest active volcano and hurl yourselves into it. There's LOTS of money in there, down at the bottom. Pinky swear.

Now, I'm posting this from Russia and to be honest government is yet to block anything remotely relevant or interesting. Our prime minister spend far too much time using the internet himself. Which is not always a good thing, especially every time he tweets something... questionable. Twitter is now pretty much the modern Russian hot news channel.
I do agree that China went too far too long ago. That said I don't want US in control either. At least our government is ok with WikiLeaks and such. As for US, anyone who think there's no censorship there is delusional. If the only options are US dominating in control of the internet or letting China in... I'd rather let China mess with it a bit. At least they don't try to hide what they want. Although most likely China will only care about China itself when it comes to censorship and they have it covered.
Surly Google is all up in arms. They don't wanna yandex, mail.ru and others eventually expanding and stealing part of their market share.

Freedom heh. I can go out and say aloud anything I think of gay people, black people or whatever race. As long as I don't insist on killing anyone it's ok. I wouldn't try anything like this in US. Hence I should probably use this forum really carefully. In case I get censored. Because it's US based, is it not?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here