Creator Confirms No Multiplayer In Bioshock: Infinite

Creator Confirms No Multiplayer In Bioshock: Infinite

Irrational Games' Ken Levine went on a Twitter binge, letting Bioshock: Infinite secrets slip.

It was one of the more controversial features of Bioshock 2, and Irrational Games' Ken Levine has confirmed that his studio isn't putting it into Bioshock: Infinite. Multiplayer won't be part of your Columbia adventure, and Levine has also let slip one or two other Bioshock: Infinite secrets.

The reveal came as part of a Twitter binge, in which Levine started answering fans' questions about the upcoming alternate history adventure. Would there be a digital release for PSN and XBLA on day one? "I don't know," Levine answered. "I hope so." Would gamers be able to play as Elizabeth in any part of the game? "You don't play as her," Levine replied, "just BFF Booker." Would there be audio diaries? "Audio and much more," Levine Tweeted.

Finally, how would Levine respond to the allegation that many of his Tweets had been deliberately evasive? "Evasively," was his reply.

Bioshock: Infinite, the latest entrant to the Bioshock franchise, has the player - as former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt- invade a floating city, to rescue Elizabeth. Thus Booker unknowingly steps into the heart of Columbia's civil war, and finds himself targeted by all sides as he tries to carry out his task. The game's due out in February 2013 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Source: Twitter

Wow! This is great! Now we need more games without mp. The devs of Spec Ops were right - it's a canser on the singleplayer.
All hail common sence!

It's great to see developers avoiding the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to development which has caused nothing but higher production costs and lower quality.

One of the few men in the industry with common sense.

I rather liked Bioshock 2's multiplayer but I can respect the decision not to have it nonetheless.

Thanks for Levine that out.

Fucking hell I am so on the Bioshock: Infinite boat now, I was so sure they will push some crapy multi in it.

I am more hyped for this now! I hate multiplayer that is tagged on to so many games nowadays, this is a step in the right direction! Some games are good for multiplayer, games like Bioshock are not.

hurray for a shooter developer with some balls, no multiplayer = good. however, its a shame we cant play as elizabeth, i always enjoy games that switch up the gameplay (like playing as ashley in RE4)

For the amount of time they've spent on this game, it had better be well worth full price. As much as I hate shoehorned features, I would have thought they might have added a little more than just single player.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this game, probably wait until I see some reviews. Good writing and characters, and I'll most likely open the wallet.

I actually enjoyed the multi player in Bioshock 2, it was hectic and fun but I hear it took alot of resources away from the single player which really annoyed me. If the storys as good as im hoping it is then I couldn't give a fudge if theres no multi player.

Thank you, Ken. Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

I'd much rather play a lovingly crafted single-player experience (length isn't even a deciding factor for me) than a middling entry in the genre that has multi because, d'hoy, all the cool cats have multi.

Depth is what the average PC gamer wants. Multiplayer is nice, but if it comes at a cost and that cost impacts the narrative; then forget it. I bought Mass Effect 3, sure, but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I consider plunking some time into the multiplayer segment.

Zombine3D:
Wow! This is great! Now we need more games without mp. The devs of Spec Ops were right - it's a canser on the singleplayer.
All hail common sence!

Not all multiplayer is a cancer, but it damn sure would be for Bioshock

What? That sound? It's like a choir of angels descending from heaven singing commercial jingles!

NO MULTIPLAYER!!!

HURRAY!!!

I guess they did learn from Bioshock 2.

Well, my interest in Bioshock: Infinite just skyrocketed.

Harbinger_:
I rather liked Bioshock 2's multiplayer but I can respect the decision not to have it nonetheless.

I thought it was fun, but it wasn't balanced at all.

People would just level up until they got the rocket launcher and then be able to simply roll everyone.

And BAM just like that, my pre-order is back on.

This pleases me. I like 2K a lot as a publisher. While MP would give the game some longevity, I'm glad they still let their devs do fuller single player games.

Well I just threw my money down on a pre-order

I want to shake his hand.

Excellent. So the single player game will be focused on greatly.

Ken Levine gives me a tasteful respect boner. I love that guy as a dev and writer.

I don't have a problem with multiplayer on games that focus on single player, as long as the single player doesn't suffer because more time/effort (Fuckin' looking at you, CoD since 4...except Black Ops 2, which was a surprise) was put into multiplayer, or the single player is great, but the multiplayer is shithouse and blatantly seems tacked on because "HEY MULTIPLAYER Y'ALL!".

This made my fucking day. YEEEES! Bioshock Infinite cannot come fast enough now!

With the exception of the revolver being more useless than harsh language, Bioshock 2's Multiplayer kicked buttock, and I think it's the only multiplayer that actually told a story about specific characters, all of which were great. I miss Buck Raleigh...

"Things are either mine, or not mine yet!"
Shine on you crazy diamond beneath the sea. Shine on.

Still not sure if getting, and this doesn't help.

Thank gawd for that. Perhaps this will be the turning of the tide where only games that are improved by multiplayer have it, instead of shoehorning it into every bloody title, as is currently en vogue.

Zombine3D:
All hail common sence!

...did you...perchance...switch the 's' and the 'c' in cancer and sense just to screw with my mind?

OT: Good. Singleplayer games shouldn't feel the need to devote time and resources to a token multiplayer unless they're going to make something of it. If it's a key part of the game, that's fine, but a lot of the time it adds nothing and is only there because the publisher doesn't know what they're doing.

I'm okay with this!

Take notes, developers. Not every single game needs multiplayer.

Today was a good day. :D

What's this? A game that doesn't need to shoehorn in a worthless multiplayer where it would be more effective to invest the time and money into polishing the single player? A developer that realizes that, go figure, lots of people exclusively like single player? That having a single good thing is better than two mediocre ones?

Irrational Games, you've just disproved your own name. Non-sarcastic gold star high fives all around.

1337mokro:
What? That sound? It's like a choir of angels descending from heaven singing commercial jingles!

NO MULTIPLAYER!!!

HURRAY!!!

I guess they did learn from Bioshock 2.

Actually I BELIEVE (don't quote me on this) Irrational didn't do Bioshock 2 that was handled by a different 2K subdivision, I heard a rumour that irrational changed their name back to it from 2K Marin to differentiate themselves from the team that did Bioshock 2.

Also I too thoroughly enjoyed the B2 multiplayer mainly because it actually worked most of the time, and was pretty unique due to plasmids and tonics and all that jazz.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here