Printable Gunmaker About to Test in Texas

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I for one like this idea. Eventually everything we own will come from 3D printers (Count on it.)

Why not guns?

It doesn't say they plan to make printable ammo. Maybe all that needs to happen is for ammo to become more regulated.

One final point though; Guns are currently expensive items, The wealthiest people have the largest collections (Aside from the gov.), The ability to cheaply manufacture guns, while opening one bag of cats certainly closes another.

Equality.

Weirdly, part of this isn't so much the 'gun' as the '3-d printing' part. One thing that most 3d printers have been firm about is keeping this technology out of the reach of the common man. ATM they're actually suing kickstarter to keep a project off the shelves that would reduce the cost of a 'good' 3d printer to a 'mere' 3,000 dollars.

This is such a terrible idea.
Literally everyone will have a gun, there won't be a reason not to. They'd be free, sure you could get much better ones at the shops but god damnit everyone will have a gun.

If it was just models for show I'd be fine with it but printing out working guns? What's stopping a criminal continuously printing out a stream of free guns, taking one shot then crushing it underfoot?
I'm sure I'm exaggerating but this idea still seems so stupid to me.

Without reading anything but the opening post, I assume by page three we have one, if not all, of the following:

- Someone loudly proclaiming Americans are mental
- Someone loudly proclaiming people with anti-gun sentiments are mental
- A long back-and-fourth between two people trying the most roundabout way of saying the other is stupid
- A comparison to a novel, film, or play in which this happens and it's really really bad
- Saying we should ban cars, kettles, tissues or other silly objects because they are 'less dangerous than guns'
- Spiderman
- Godwin
- Maybe some rational discussion (ha!)

OT:

As a technological showcase, this is quite interesting. I certainly don't think it is a replacement for the registering of firearms and I doubt it's a cost-effective way of manufacturing your own (safe to use) gun, but I'm not knowledgeable in regards to this sort of topic.

Call me when we'll be able to torrent gun blueprints and illegally assemble them by pressing "print"...

... cause that's the point when I'll just chain myself to the next Soyuz off this rock.

Captcha: the dennis system - yeah, might as well go there.

Monsterfurby:
Call me when we'll be able to torrent gun blueprints and illegally assemble them by pressing "print"...

... cause that's the point when I'll just chain myself to the next Soyuz off this rock.

Captcha: the dennis system - yeah, might as well go there.

The all-American dream. Apparently.

I'll join you in the dennis system.

AldUK:
Take away guns and all of a sudden, the act of killing your fellow man becomes a lot more difficult, you have to get close to them, you have to look them in the eye as the light fades, you have to get their blood, on your hands.

Or you could kill them from a distance with a bow & arrow. Or a crossbow. Or if that's too large to conceal easily, you could kill them with a miniaturized crossbow instead. Or blow darts. Not as much range, but it still saves you the difficulty of having to get close to them.

Or if you want to do it in style, figure out how to use ninja stars and throwing blades and use those instead.

TrilbyWill:

Rigs83:
-snip-

Yeah, but I don't think a company called Defense Distributed running the 'Wiki Weapon' project is planning to make satellites.

You mean like defense satellites used for communication and or looking down from orbit at military targets and shooting beams of death . Yes I see no strategic value in being able to quickly make a custom satellite and put it into orbit. In fact I am sure the military has no plans on even developing a plane to deliver military equipment into orbit. That would be preposterous.

Rigs83:

TrilbyWill:

Rigs83:
-snip-

Yeah, but I don't think a company called Defense Distributed running the 'Wiki Weapon' project is planning to make satellites.

You mean like defense satellites used for communication and or looking down from orbit at military targets and shooting beams of death . Yes I see no strategic value in being able to quickly make a custom satellite and put it into orbit. In fact I am sure the military has no plans on even developing a plane to deliver military equipment into orbit. That would be preposterous.

I'm aware that satellites are used for defense, and I agree that this technology can be used for that. I hope it is.
But I just doubt that that is the end goal of Defense Distributed.
Mostly because this is at the bottom of their homepage:

Defense Distributed Homepage

1) CREATE THE WORLD'S FIRST 100% 3D PRINTABLE GUN
2) ADAPT THE DESIGN DOWN TO CHEAPER 3D PRINTERS
3) BECOME THE WEB'S PRINTABLE GUN WIKI REDOUBT

surg3n:

Rigs83:
snip

This ^

I doubt it's even possible yet, to print an actual firing gun without it blowing itself up or failing completely. Maybe better to just let them have it, loose some fingers, and go back to the drawing-in-blood-using-your-stump board. Metal just can't be 3D printed and maintain the required density and properties and geometric accuracy to produce a workable firearm.

This ^
Either they're actual engineers who know what they're doing, in which case this is the cutting edge of 3D printing and should be experimented with to see its full potential, because its incredibly frickin awesome, or they're a bunch of texans who heard about 3D printing and thought they should make themselves a gun, in which case they should video the first test fire and put it on youtube.
Either way, I want them to keep on at it :D

Kopikatsu:

Defense Distributed has applied to become a nonprofit organization, with the stated goal of "charitable public interest publishing." In other words, it intends to eventually distribute printable gun schematics free of charge.

I can see no possible way that this could go wrong. God Speed, Defense Distributed. God Speed.

[/sarcasm]

Possessing the plans for a weapon is not the same as possessing a weapon. Or for a perhaps more appropriate analogy, I have several copies of the CSS Master Key and the old, revoked, Bluray Master Key on my hard drives. Does that mean I'm intending to rip and pirate every DVD and Bluray I come across?

mathsisfun:

surg3n:

Rigs83:
snip

This ^

I doubt it's even possible yet, to print an actual firing gun without it blowing itself up or failing completely. Maybe better to just let them have it, loose some fingers, and go back to the drawing-in-blood-using-your-stump board. Metal just can't be 3D printed and maintain the required density and properties and geometric accuracy to produce a workable firearm.

This ^
Either they're actual engineers who know what they're doing, in which case this is the cutting edge of 3D printing and should be experimented with to see its full potential, because its incredibly frickin awesome, or they're a bunch of texans who heard about 3D printing and thought they should make themselves a gun, in which case they should video the first test fire and put it on youtube.
Either way, I want them to keep on at it :D

Actually, someone has already printed the lower receiver of an AR-15, from a modified version of one of several STL files floating around the net, mated it to a conventionally manufactured barrel, upper receiver and other parts and successfully fired it. That is what inspired this whole project. But despite the hysteria, it's not something that any Joe with a RepRap or MakerBot can just print off in an evening a weekend.

Andrew_C:

Possessing the plans for a weapon is not the same as possessing a weapon. Or for a perhaps more appropriate analogy, I have several copies of the CSS Master Key and the old, revoked, Bluray Master Key on my hard drives. Does that mean I'm intending to rip and pirate every DVD and Bluray I come across?

Uhuh, so why do you have it then? Why would you possibly want it?

In also most in every case there's an intent to use it otherwise, what's the point?.

We finally invent a universal constructor and we use it to make guns.

Humans are dicks.

mad825:

Andrew_C:

Uhuh, so why do you have it then? Why would you possibly want it?

In also most in every case there's an intent to use it otherwise, what's the point?.

Because I think DRM is stupid and counter-productive, it's perfectly legal to posses it were I live, and I like collecting stuff like that.

w....tf is a printable gun

>_>

I'm not really sure of what's going on here...

Are they claiming that they can produce, from a printer (what type I'm not totally sure of), a fully functioning firearm? While I'm not surprised that this might be possible, fully functional doesn't mean actually usable. Hell, I could turn my airsoft guns into "fully functional" .22's, which is why I can no longer have any shipped to California, but those conversions would be able to fire probably around 1-2 shots before exploding in my hands.

People are overreacting to this just because it's a firearms topic on the internet, where there is absolutely no middle ground and where people who don't necessarily have a vast knowledge of the inner workings of a firearm can spout off their opinions. Thank God this isn't in R&P.

O maestre:

AldUK:
Everyone in N. America - "Huh, cool."
Everyone outside of N. America - "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!"

Printable guns... where's my ride off this planet.

pretty much this, americans are perhaps the most frightening species this planet has ever produced. i do not fear climate change or nuclear annihilation or weapons in general... i fear an american with his hand on the trigger/button

captcha: "end of the world"

no shit captcha

This kind of statement scares me way more than guns. I worry that if Europeans have their way, in about 15-20 years civilians will be so terrified of guns that they'd be easily subjugated by military police of a corrupt government, without even the slightest ability to fight back, or that criminals that don't follow the laws anyways buying guns illegally will be so powerful that they'll be able to rob an entire neighborhood going door to door with a single freaking gun. Seriously grow a sack people its a gun, we've made them for hundreds of years and society is still standing. Stop being a bunch of children and learn the importance of the ability to protect yourself.

Whether or not Defense Distributed are irresponsible dicks, is irrelevant.

3D printing WILL HAPPEN. 3D printers at home will only get cheaper, easier to use, and more flexible, than the current prototypes. 3D printers were already used to make protoype wall clocks, guitars, ponies, and bycicles.
Any DRM on them that tries to stop you from printing certain things, WILL BE CRACKED.
There are enough firearm hobbyists out there to create various competing gun designs and SHARE THEM PUBLICALLY.
3D models of printable objects, including guns, WILL BE DISTRIBUTED, if nowhere else, than on piracy sites.

Wishing that all this potential of 3D printers should go away, is like MPAA wishing the Internet would go away: It's an understandable sentiment, from a point of view, but it doesn't matter, because that's not gonna happen.

AngloDoom:
Without reading anything but the opening post, I assume by page three we have one, if not all, of the following:

- Someone loudly proclaiming Americans are mental
- Someone loudly proclaiming people with anti-gun sentiments are mental
- A long back-and-fourth between two people trying the most roundabout way of saying the other is stupid
- A comparison to a novel, film, or play in which this happens and it's really really bad
- Saying we should ban cars, kettles, tissues or other silly objects because they are 'less dangerous than guns'
- Spiderman
- Godwin
- Maybe some rational discussion (ha!)

OT:

As a technological showcase, this is quite interesting. I certainly don't think it is a replacement for the registering of firearms and I doubt it's a cost-effective way of manufacturing your own (safe to use) gun, but I'm not knowledgeable in regards to this sort of topic.

Your prediction was so accurate I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

NamelessFU:

This kind of statement scares me way more than guns. I worry that if Europeans have their way, in about 15-20 years civilians will be so terrified of guns that they'd be easily subjugated by military police of a corrupt government, without even the slightest ability to fight back, or that criminals that don't follow the laws anyways buying guns illegally will be so powerful that they'll be able to rob an entire neighborhood going door to door with a single freaking gun. Seriously grow a sack people its a gun, we've made them for hundreds of years and society is still standing. Stop being a bunch of children and learn the importance of the ability to protect yourself.

I never said that guns were bad or something that has no use for protection, I am fine with guns, Switzerland has an entire nation of citizen militia, almost everyone has a weapon there and its one of the most pleasant places on earth. In fact I believe more martial tradition should be introduced throughout Europe.

if you read my post I do not fear weapons or firearms and I do not have a problem with people owning firearms for protection or otherwise. I fear Americans. To elaborate, Americans gun-culture is frightening it seems inherently paranoid and destructive. This is of course my personal impression of the United States, and before you say I get all my information from the sensationalist news, my family once visited the family of one of my fathers friends. Their car and their home was armed to the teeth, and while there is nothing wrong with that, what appalled me was the callous way they advocated a shoot first, and blast away approach to gun ownership.

It seems callous and shows a lack of respect in regards to how powerful a weapon is, and this was an ordinary family of five. To reiterate I'm fine with weapons and citizens owning them, what freaks me out are Americans.

What I really do not understand is your collective inability to even concede the very notion of change or flexibility, in regards to this issue.

The very fear you expressed about a corrupt government really shows how its fuelled by paranoia. I quite simply do not fear my government, the worst harm they have done to me have been parking tickets. The biggest political scandal I have witnessed recently has been a minister who spent too much money on private dinners. The very Idea seems more like science fiction to me. Frankly I do not even think European governments have the military capacity to enforce martial law, our combined military expenditure doesn't even come close to the United States. But you are right it could still happen however like I stated before I do not have an issue with gun ownership in general, I have an issue with who is holding the gun.

Ultratwinkie:

Oh boy here comes the xenophobic fear and Europeans assuming the rest of the world is like them:

Spoiler, its not. Europe is not the rest of the world and nor does the world care.

Know what? Go ahead and replace "American" with "black guy" or "Mexican." That post would be awful, for the same reasons. Its the same thing.

You are overtly trying to put words in my mouth. xenophobic? where if anything I would say my fear was very specific. you are right the rest of the world is not like Europe, unless you only compare it to other industrialized, from measurement to laws and culture European sensibilities are prevalent. Only the US is radically different, and I was not talking about the rest of the world, I was talking about the United States of America.
Its radically different when we are talking about gun culture and antagonistic mind set. Race is unrelated and irrelevant to what I am talking about, so your argument of word substitution is not applicable.

I do not have any problem with fire arms and as I stated earlier, I think a martial culture that includes fire arms education would be beneficial for Europeans. Its your laws(or rather lack of) and irresponsible attitude that frightens me, its your fervent adherence to an anti-social gun culture that is completely beyond my scope of rational understanding or reasoning.

To hammer it home, a person cannot change the colour of their skin, but a person can get wiser and change their opinions, cant you see the fundamental difference?

O maestre:

NamelessFU:

I never said that guns were bad or something that has no use for protection, I am fine with guns, Switzerland has an entire nation of citizen militia, almost everyone has a weapon there and its one of the most pleasant places on earth. In fact I believe more martial tradition should be introduced throughout Europe.

if you read my post I do not fear weapons or firearms and I do not have a problem with people owning firearms for protection or otherwise. I fear Americans. To elaborate, Americans gun-culture is frightening it seems inherently paranoid and destructive. This is of course my personal impression of the United States, and before you say I get all my information from the sensationalist news, my family once visited the family of one of my fathers friends. Their car and their home was armed to the teeth, and while there is nothing wrong with that, what appalled me was the callous way they advocated a shoot first, and blast away approach to gun ownership.

It seems callous and shows a lack of respect in regards to how powerful a weapon is, and this was an ordinary family of five. To reiterate I'm fine with weapons and citizens owning them, what freaks me out are Americans.

What I really do not understand is your collective inability to even concede the very notion of change or flexibility, in regards to this issue.

The very fear you expressed about a corrupt government really shows how its fuelled by paranoia. I quite simply do not fear my government, the worst harm they have done to me have been parking tickets. The biggest political scandal I have witnessed recently has been a minister who spent too much money on private dinners. The very Idea seems more like science fiction to me. Frankly I do not even think European governments have the military capacity to enforce martial law, our combined military expenditure doesn't even come close to the United States. But you are right it could still happen however like I stated before I do not have an issue with gun ownership in general, I have an issue with who is holding the gun.

Ultratwinkie:

Oh boy here comes the xenophobic fear and Europeans assuming the rest of the world is like them:

Spoiler, its not. Europe is not the rest of the world and nor does the world care.

Know what? Go ahead and replace "American" with "black guy" or "Mexican." That post would be awful, for the same reasons. Its the same thing.

You are overtly trying to put words in my mouth. xenophobic? where if anything I would say my fear was very specific. you are right the rest of the world is not like Europe, unless you only compare it to other industrialized, from measurement to laws and culture European sensibilities are prevalent. Only the US is radically different, and I was not talking about the rest of the world, I was talking about the United States of America.
Its radically different when we are talking about gun culture and antagonistic mind set. Race is unrelated and irrelevant to what I am talking about, so your argument of word substitution is not applicable.

I do not have any problem with fire arms and as I stated earlier, I think a martial culture that includes fire arms education would be beneficial for Europeans. Its your laws(or rather lack of) and irresponsible attitude that frightens me, its your fervent adherence to an anti-social gun culture that is completely beyond my scope of rational understanding or reasoning.

To hammer it home, a person cannot change the colour of their skin, but a person can get wiser and change their opinions, cant you see the fundamental difference?

Lack of laws?

Its more than just laws. We have plenty.

Its the drug cartels that prop up crime in the US. Crime that means any gang has almost infinite money and infinite manpower. Gun laws won't work the same way the one child policy didn't work. Because money can buy your way past any law.

gun crime is more than "guns exist." Any gun control would fail without dealing with its actual cause. Its the sole cause gun threads fail to recognize.

ha! i called it!

i'm awesome ^^^

AldUK:
Everyone in N. America - "Huh, cool."
Everyone outside of N. America - "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!"

Printable guns... where's my ride off this planet.

Ahem. I'm not quite sure I agree here. I'm European, and my reaction is.

Wow. Cool that that's possible followed closely by. Ugh. Not more guns...

So uh, kind of conflicted I guess. XD

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or