Wii U Baffles Godfather of Gaming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wii U Baffles Godfather of Gaming

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell thinks that consoles as we know them are at "the end of an era."

The founder of Atari, creator of Pong and honorary godfather of gaming, Nolan Bushnell, just can't get the hang of the Wii U. Moreover, he doesn't have much hope for the future of any next gen console, whether Nintendo's or anyone else's. "It feels like the end of an era," said Bushnell to the New York Times.

Bushnell proclaims himself baffled by Nintendo's latest console. "I don't think it's going to be a big success," he claims. This isn't the first time Bushnell has taken a swipe at Nintendo; a short while back, Bushnell argued that the Nintendo DS would give way to mobile devices, and tablets and smartphones would become the platforms of choice for mobile gamers.

Bushnell's previous statements on the future of gaming in general haven't been particularly enthusiastic, so his latest prediction regarding next generation consoles should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt. In the past he's called modern games "pure, unadulterated trash," and has argued that online gaming just isn't social. Perhaps his Wii U bafflement and console disenchantment ought to be seen in that context; less a prediction, more of an an admission that things have changed considerably since Bushnell's Atari days.

Source: My Nintendo News

Another person claiming consoles are dead, there seems to be a lot of those later, all the Wii-U's that were pre-ordered beg to differ.

Remember that idiot Pachter claiming the Wii would fail, only for it to become a mind boggling success, then Pachter claiming Nintendo got lucky with the Wii?

Half of these people don't know what "an end of an era" even means. Be positive! I hope the Wii-U is a success, as soon as more games come out for it, plan to get one!

I do believe that things have changed since Atari was the big thing, but change is not always a bad thing.

I think "experts" making these kinds of predictions are often fruitless. Recent history (the past 10 years or so) shows that very few people have any clue where the industry is headed at any given moment.

I don't mean any disrespect to the man, but this sounds a lot like the bitter ramblings of an older generation. "In my day..."

Nothing new here, almost everyone has experienced similar from their parents / grandparents. Though probably not in relation to gaming, admittedly.

Haha, tell me about the Lynx and Jaguar again. When was the last time Atari contributed anything useful to the console market in the last 20 years?

Nolan Bushnell confirmed for PC Master Race?

And he's not saying consoles are dead. What he seems to be saying is consoles as we know them are dying or changing. These days my Xbox and the Wii U seem to resemble the layout of my smart phone more than a game system. The ads on the Xbox dash are significantly bigger than the icon to play games with, and most of the the other tabs don't have any thing to do with games at all The things console makers brag about seem to have very little to do with the actual games. What he seems to be implying is that consoles are becoming less about games and more about entertainment in general. That's not a bad thing, but it can be described as an "end of an era", as he's saying. The old, dedicated game system is being phased out in favor of a more general media device.

EDIT: And he was kind of right about the phone gaming. No one I know owns a 3DS, but everyone I know plays angry birds. Whether that's because of the success of the DS's touch screen is debatable, but it's definitely fair to say that the handheld market has lost significant ground to phones and tablets.

He thinks we're all up shit creek without a paddle.

Well the first part was right on, consoles as they were are indeed drawing their last breath, flail to win is the new way.
But that also means that Nintendo and the others will be just fine so long as they keep on this track.

Consoles as we know them will have to change in order to remain relevant. He's right on the button with that. The way that DLC was handled this generation was a disgusting mess and one of the reasons that consoles have lost a lot of fans over the years.

TizzytheTormentor:
Another person claiming consoles are dead, there seems to be a lot of those later, all the Wii-U's that were pre-ordered beg to differ.

Makes a change from people claiming PCs are dead. Both claims are just as silly.

Somethingfake:

TizzytheTormentor:

Makes a change from people claiming PCs are dead. Both claims are just as silly.

Exactly, both are still wildy successful, consoles and PC's aren't going anywhere for a LONG time.

Handhelds get it the worst though, since people aren't buying Vitas because the price is unholy, handheld gaming is utterly dead and iPhone games will reign supreme...

Do people get payed to write such incorrect predictions?

It sounds like someone's still bitter about how his presence in the console market eventually turned out. And why do all of these analysts and "professionals" insist that iPads are going to overtake everything? They have their place but we all know that they haven't come close yet to emulating the kind of experiences we get consoles for. Even the PS2 ports are lacking without tactile feedback, and using the bluetooth gamepads on a stand kinda does away with the whole "portable" thing they have going for them.

But this combined a Mobile PC with a Comfortable Gaming controller, oh wait, shh! Nobody has modified the Wii U controller yet. All you need to do is add an SD slot to it with Android OS. Then a few emulators and Wifi..

AND BOOM! The next Emerging Market, the Game Controller Tablet!

Actually I've become rather disenchanted with gaming myself, but I wouldn't lay everything at the feet of consoles though.

Bushnell proceeded to inform the interviewer that in his day children were expected to walk to school uphill in the snow both ways, and demanded the interviewer "get off his lawn".

I think just like this generation and the generation before that are all going to do well.
People gaem mroe and more and the market gets bigger and bigger...

...Sir I'm sorry this is what you call 'aging'. Be aware of it and take steps to prevent your fears of of the new creeping up on you and making you crotchety and unlikable.

While I have my own hang-ups on the WiiU, they're not based around 'ARuuuGH I don't understand this new-age goobledeegark, it's the sign of the end times!' He's right about one thing, consoles do need to step up the game, since PC's and Tablets have more than overtaken them due to being able to form multiple desirable functions including gaming, quite well. So consoles HAVE to be something more than they've been the last few generations.

My concerns are based on legitimate things like the hard-drive, the online capabilities and limitations, the multi-player integration with only one person being able to have a touch screen.

This guy kinda reminds me of the villain from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. He seems be lashing out at the industry he helped create, which has in turn left him behind as he failed to adapt and remain relevant in the changing tides.

Wow, this guy sure seems to hate Nintendo. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Nintendo pretty much single-handedly rebuilt the American gaming industry after Atari helped crash it in 1983. Or that Atari went bankrupt as a result, whereas Nintendo went on to become the most successful console maker of the following decade.

I mean, come one. Asking the former head of Atari what he thinks of Nintendo is like asking Lenin what he thinks of free market capitalism.

When was the last time Atari was even relevant to gaming? The answer is around twenty years ago, so you know, they know the future of gaming pretty well, right? Or wait, I should give them this, the head of Atari should know pretty well what might fail.

I think that his prevailing attitude is indicative of people suffering from the availability heuristic. Gaming is bigger than ever, and they look at the place where gaming is growing and think that it replaces other sectors of gaming. But that attitude is not entirely right or appropriate. Smartphones are absolutely everywhere. So it would make sense that gaming would explode on these things in a big way. I'm not going to go so far as to make this a core vs casual argument or anything like that. And while consoles to an extent are struggling, it's not really because of smartphones or tablets. They are struggling more likely from things like lack new IP's, publishers playing it safe, and the fact that every console hardware vendor is universally starting to sell things at a loss. These are just a few of many factors that affect how console gaming changes and evolves.

I love when people bring up relevance. It's an overused term at this point. There is no problem with console relevance in regards to gaming. Smartphones exist for a few reasons, but gaming is at best a tertiary endeavor on it. The primary use of the smartphones is not gaming, it's calling, texting, email, music, social networking device. I'll tell you where I start to question relevance in regards to consoles: Consoles as social networking devices. They are so far at the back of the pack in regards to that, they need to not even try. You can do that on you computer, your laptop, your tablet, your smartphone, your TV, your DVD/Media player... I honestly feel that where consoles start to fail is when they try to expand beyond what they are. Nothing is going to make you more irrelevant than trying to be a jack of all trades and being bad at them. Every time I'm in the market for a new phone, I get one that can play the latest games but soon resign myself to it not being a good gaming device for many reasons.

I can't help but feel that he says these things because he disconnected and not actually making games anymore. And in the words of the original Silk Spectre from The Watchmen, "Every day, the future looks a little bit darker. But the past, even the grimy parts of it, keep on getting brighter."

Old person thinking like old people do. I'm sure he uses the "back in my day we"......... phrase.

i'm not sure if his experience has taught him anything, but it's way too late now to help anybody from his position. i'd rather get advice from somebody who knows information beyond what you can mirror from pundits.

i think the market is slowly expanding to accommodate different devices, and this isn't the complete picture he paints here. as long as the pogeymons stays on nintendo, you won't be able to get rid of their handhelds, lol.

I'm sure I heard only a year ago that the PC was going to die out at the hands of consoles. Now i'm hearing consoles are going to die out as well. Where are people going to play their video games? Nowhere it seems.

Notsomuch:
When was the last time Atari was even relevant to gaming? The answer is around twenty years ago, so you know, they know the future of gaming pretty well, right? Or wait, I should give them this, the head of Atari should know pretty well what might fail.

Ehhh, they published Neverwinter Nights and its sequel, as well as the first Witcher and the second one in North America and Australia. They're at least as relevant as THQ, who are pretty close to bankruptcy at this point.

OT: I can't really comment on the Wii U, as I don't have one. I may plan on getting one some day when I can see a bunch of games I'm interested in being me for it to take advantage of the unique capabilities it has, but right now I can't justify it and I doubt I'm the only person in that boat.

Well... I'll give him credit for predicting the mobile device thing... but that's about it

i treat him like i treat miyamoto
while its nice you did what you did, your input now is something i don't exactly trust.

unlike stan lee, who just seems to sh** good ideas

Aussie502:
I'm sure I heard only a year ago that the PC was going to die out at the hands of consoles. Now i'm hearing consoles are going to die out as well. Where are people going to play their video games? Nowhere it seems.

Pcs "dying" was a rumor started decades ago by people who thought dedicated devices would take over. It didn't want went the opposite way.

Consoles dying came about because costs are getting out of control, and the number of developers and publishers getting sick of Microsoft's and Sony's shitty business tactics that bend them over a barrel.

Without publishers and developers, consoles become useless money pits for manufacturers.

Bold words from the founder of Atari, a console that no longer exists. Since who knows when.

Anyway, I don't think the WiiU is gonna suck, I just think it won't do as well as they expect it to do once the other consoles come out. It's shiny and pretty and new and it has that on their side. But I don't think it will be so bad, Nintendo will be forced to shut down or become a developer.

Like Atari.

AWWWWW YEAAAAAAH!

Well, let's see, who knows more about the state of console gaming: Nintendo, or the guy whose couldn't hack it 25 years ago?

I do not think it is our of the realm to say that as smart phones and smart pads get more powerful whats to stop them from being the goto console of choice? Add to that they are far more flexible and portable than a console system.

Sony and ms will never make their systems open enough to allow for custom apps phones and pads do, developers can release games and updates free if they like, give away content free of they like, we know they cannot do that on XBL.

The way the big two treat customers and their utter seeming contempt for gamers in general, it is not hard to see these more open and flexible devices winning the next gen wars. Even smart tvs factor into the mix when they can provide content far better than sony and MS can.

As consoles try to be the center of it all, here are increasing options to make the center of it all being your handheld item of choice, that can network to all your stuff and tell stuff what to do far easier than probably setting it up on ps4 and xbox 720.

Nintendo lost face when they turned the wii into shovel ware dump central.

Mcoffey:
EDIT: And he was kind of right about the phone gaming. No one I know owns a 3DS, but everyone I know plays angry birds. Whether that's because of the success of the DS's touch screen is debatable, but it's definitely fair to say that the handheld market has lost significant ground to phones and tablets.

You don't even need to buy a specific system to have Angry Birds, though - just having almost any decent smartphone will do, not to mention the fact that you can just get it on PC. DSes actually require an investment.

Sounds jealous. Rightfully so. Nintendo essentially destroyed his legacy back in the day, and have lasted far longer than he did, while proving him wrong on every prediction.

The guy's a living stereotype of the old guy who just can't understand "kids today".

Completely agree with this man, it still baffles me as well how they could design a console so backwards. Out of all Nintendo's controllers, Gamecube is still by far the most flexible.

You know what it is Nolan, standards have dropped, a lot. They have fallen so far that so many people just miss the point completely. That's why remakes of movies are shoved out and still make some money, why reality TV is popular at all, and why we can have over 100 bland FPS's copy other bland shooters and still stay in business.

Then you get people making assumptions about you when they disagree like your just blinded by nostalgia when they're blinded by pretty colours, or you just hate Nintendo just because they feel the need to defend it from everything.

TizzytheTormentor:

Somethingfake:

TizzytheTormentor:

Exactly, both are still wildy successful, consoles and PC's aren't going anywhere for a LONG time.

Handhelds get it the worst though, since people aren't buying Vitas because the price is unholy, handheld gaming is utterly dead and iPhone games will reign supreme...

Do people get payed to write such incorrect predictions?

Maybe they're just people with opinions, something we're all guilty of. What I don't understand is why this stuff counts as "news."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here