Wii U Baffles Godfather of Gaming

Pages PREV 1 2

When I read the article title I thought, "Miyamoto said what?"

Then I realized it was Nolan Bushnell.

I keep forgetting, Miyamoto is like the cool out-of-the-box uncle of the video game family. He has these crazy ideas and you're always unsure, but they manage to work out for the most part.

Bushnell is like gaming's old senile grandpa. Sometimes he says things that the rest of the family is just flat-out embarrassed by.

so does anyone know why he's baffled? that was the main reason i looked at this article and im still confused. what's baffling about it?

so does anyone know why he's baffled? that was the main reason i looked at this article and im still confused. what's baffling about it?

While I do think consoles are dying, I don't think it's because of their controllers, I think it's because of greedy, DRM-crazy console developers with their constant updates in a futile attempt to fight pirates, planned obsolescence schemes, and general price gouging, not to mention how clearly dated the hardware can grow in a rather short time. I genuinely feel that at some point the market will shift over to the ever-evolving PC, once everyone realizes that in the long run it ends up saving you money. (I'm not trying to start a PC vs Console war here, anything you can say against what I just said is likely retarded or formed from an uninformed viewpoint, or that of a brainwashed fanboy, neither of which I'm interested in, so save yourself the arthritic build-up. Plus the only way you can really prove me wrong is to keep blindly giving Microsoft/Sony your money.)

And while I agree that handheld gaming will soon migrate over to phones and tablets (I have a Vita, and I genuinely regret not getting a tablet instead, though that's not my only bit of logic behind it mind you, just my personal testimony), I still think some of the comments this guy are making ring of "Back in my day" syndrome (specifically calling modern games "trash". No, sir, Pong was fucking trash. In fact, every Atari game I've ever played I'd call garbage openly, not to say there aren't good games, then I'd be no better than him, I'm just saying I haven't played even one of them that is worthwhile yet).

Eat a dick old man, it's 2012, we have hoverboards, jet packs, and flying cars, deal with that shit.

orangeapples:
When I read the article title I thought, "Miyamoto said what?"

Then I realized it was Nolan Bushnell.

I keep forgetting, Miyamoto is like the cool out-of-the-box uncle of the video game family. He has these crazy ideas and you're always unsure, but they manage to work out for the most part.

Bushnell is like gaming's old senile grandpa. Sometimes he says things that the rest of the family is just flat-out embarrassed by.

First of: This is also exactly what I thought, and it deeply confused me as I'm pretty sure Miyamoto had something to do with the U.

Second: Excellent analogy, couldn't have said it better myself.

Yeaaaah and how's Atari been doing in the console business lately?

Look, I'll believe this when one of the big console-making companies comes out and says it. As for anyone else? I'm not buying it.

SirBryghtside:

Mcoffey:
EDIT: And he was kind of right about the phone gaming. No one I know owns a 3DS, but everyone I know plays angry birds. Whether that's because of the success of the DS's touch screen is debatable, but it's definitely fair to say that the handheld market has lost significant ground to phones and tablets.

You don't even need to buy a specific system to have Angry Birds, though - just having almost any decent smartphone will do, not to mention the fact that you can just get it on PC. DSes actually require an investment.

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? Why bother buying a handheld system that can only do games, when I can do all that and more on a phone? There's definitely a qualiyy issue, but when I can have the quick fun of dinky little app games, plus all the depth emulators bring, on a system I already own, why would I shell out 150+ dollars for another handheld?

TizzytheTormentor:
Another person claiming consoles are dead, there seems to be a lot of those later, all the Wii-U's that were pre-ordered beg to differ.

Remember that idiot Pachter claiming the Wii would fail, only for it to become a mind boggling success, then Pachter claiming Nintendo got lucky with the Wii?

Half of these people don't know what "an end of an era" even means. Be positive! I hope the Wii-U is a success, as soon as more games come out for it, plan to get one!

I do believe that things have changed since Atari was the big thing, but change is not always a bad thing.

Reminds me of all those people claiming that PC gaming is dieing. there is always doomsday prophecies.

WII sucess baffles me too. i knew people were stupid, but that stupid?

Yes, lets be positive, maybe Pee-You will fail and finally run nintendo out of its business model of milking dead cow and finding costumers for the rotten milk.

Yes, things have to changed since Atari. They did, we invented PC gaming.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here