Another Final Fantasy XIV Could Destroy Square Enix

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I have an idea. Nobody buy RR, and let SE die a quick death. Then, we find any and all appropriate right's holders for the various IP's that SE holds, put them at gunpoint, and force them to give them all up. Then, we redistribute the IP's to more competent publishers and/or independent developers. Maybe even individual developers that fall from SE.

ALTERNATE PLAN: We pool all the money that could be spent on RR, but DON'T buy any copies. Then, when SE goes bankrupt, we just buy the company with the money we saved. Then, follow the same plan as before.

Zeckt:
I grew up with final fantasy, it was always there for me when my parents weren't. Seeing the Trailer where bahamut freaking DESTROYED THE ENTIRE WORLD of ff14 was probably one of if not the most beautiful thing's I've seen in gaming and I never even played it. I'll be there when this game launches, with the Super limited collectors edtion. Trash Square enix all you want, I'll be right behind them through the hard times like they were for me. I have faith in you Square enix! good luck!

You and me both. End of An Era really caught my attention. Also, let's face it, the reason they are useing WoW as an example of what they are useing as a lesson, isn't the desire to outdo them. No one can knock Blizzard off their throne except for whatever Blizzard does. Instead they are changing the fundamental dynamics of the game to suit the familiarity of the audience. They tried something new and unusual with FFXIV, and it stunk. Sticking to a formula may seem "lazy" but it will at least turn people away less frequently then a system that isn't only broken but hard to understand for some. Of course, again I never played FFXIV but this is what I've gathered.

Zeckt:
I grew up with final fantasy, it was always there for me when my parents weren't. Seeing the Trailer where bahamut freaking DESTROYED THE ENTIRE WORLD of ff14 was probably one of if not the most beautiful thing's I've seen in gaming and I never even played it. I'll be there when this game launches, with the Super limited collectors edtion. Trash Square enix all you want, I'll be right behind them through the hard times like they were for me. I have faith in you Square enix! good luck!

P.S. *discreet brohoof*

I really don't understand Square Enix. They have SO MANY FRANCHISES people wouldn't mind seeing iterations of, and are BEGGING for. Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You are incredibly popular and sequels would make them a ton of money. Hell, why not bring back OLD franchises? A new Chrono Trigger, or Secret of Mana? A lot of people would flip their shit for a good Chrono game. Hell, try and bring back Front Mission or Parasite Eve. Instead they put all their money in the Final Fantasy basket, which while a popular franchise doesn't seem to have the same impact it once did. Their decision making baffles me, and honestly if they go under it's their own fault for being unable to do what the customers want.

Comic Sans:
I really don't understand Square Enix. They have SO MANY FRANCHISES people wouldn't mind seeing iterations of, and are BEGGING for. Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You are incredibly popular and sequels would make them a ton of money. Hell, why not bring back OLD franchises? A new Chrono Trigger, or Secret of Mana? A lot of people would flip their shit for a good Chrono game. Hell, try and bring back Front Mission or Parasite Eve. Instead they put all their money in the Final Fantasy basket, which while a popular franchise doesn't seem to have the same impact it once did. Their decision making baffles me, and honestly if they go under it's their own fault for being unable to do what the customers want.

They already "brought back" Front Mission. They had Double Helix develop it and unsurprisingly they tried to make it into an extremely shallow and lazy Armored Core ripoff with horribly unbalanced multiplayer and not even a shred of the original titles spirit.
And Parasite Eve had "The 3rd Birthday", which while a decent game, kinda left off pretty weak with its ending.

Chrono games are dead, though Square isn't above squashing any fan-made titles.

Hell, don't forget Brave Fencer Musashi! We had one for the PS2, Samurai Legend Musashi, which was badass, so make a game in that art style on the PS3? With enemies that get sliced apart depending on how you attacked them like that game? And avoid the Steam Tower type of scenario?! PLEASE!

Also, yes to a TWEWY, and Kingdom Hearts 3 should be somewhere considering Dream Drop Distance was 2.5 and leading up to it, though if I remember right the major KH team is locked up with Final Fantasy Versus 13.

Comic Sans:
snip

cursedseishi:
snip

you forgot about Einhander .....

as a side note .... I'd be good with a HD re-release of PE1, or Secret of Mana 3 re-released at all ...

With how bad the launch for FFXIV was, they lost A LOT of people's trust. I don't see them having any other option than apologizing for it's failure and attempting to remake. If they simply ditched FFXIV 1.0, and didn't bother, it would completely tarnish their reputation. Attempting to remake it gives them a chance at redemption and to earn people's trust back. Will it work? I don't know, but what they are doing is trying and they admit they messed up.

I am refraining from saying/assuming anything on how FFXIV:ARR will turn out based on random comments by the creator as that's silly.

I keep saying if Sqeenix want to live, they need to make games more on par with Final Fantasy IX, but does anyone listen to me?! NO!

Tanakh:
Humm, DaoC with WoW? Mark me interested, I will keep it on my radar. Hopefully they will take the best of those 2. If not, maybe TES online will hit the mark.

tautologico:
Lots of people got caught by the hype of Guild Wars 2 as the one game who would COMPLETELY REVOLUTIONIZE MMOs. When I see so many people putting so much hope into a game that is not even released, I get suspicious. I'm sure it's a good game but I don't think it lived up to the hype built around it.

For me it did, WvW is amazing and the battlegrounds feel very well designed and balanced. Sadly it takes a guild to fully experience it and i dont like to interact with people, just to pvp with them.

And the company never said "COMPLETELY REVOLUTIONIZE MMOs", but if you like to beat strawmans, suit yourself.

I never said the company said that, so who's beating strawmen here? :)

But it was a common opinion among fans, at least that's all I saw in forums and blogs when people discussed about GW2. Sometimes the comments took the form of "what's the point of waiting for another MMO launch when GW2 will come soon after and take the whole MMO market by storm?" Like there wouldn't be a reason for other MMOs existing after GW2.

You like it, that's good, as I said myself I do think it's a good game. But the pre-launch hype around it was quite intense.

Dare to dream.

Didnt their shareholders force them to launch before the designers were happy in the first place? If so well hopefully that has taught them to shut the hell up, I really dont think this game will be a success for them MMOS have changed subscription based gameplay is on the decline and dont you need a pretty powerful PC to run this anyway? at the very least you need a more powerful one that most other MMOS which will only lower its market further surely most of the FF fans are on console yes there may be a crossover and FFXI seemed to do alrite for them but its another market now their reputation isnt what it was when FFXI launched.

I dread to think how much they have spent on this game but surely they could have remade VII for at least the same amount of money if not considerably less and had a guaranteed fan base and gather some serious hype (although if they fucked it up there would be no saving them), this game is now old sure its new but its still old things move fast in the world of videogames and this one has a bad reputation to overcome thats if sufficient people are still interested anyway. As it stands I see very little people caring about this game and I really cant see it being a success if they are lucky it will not be a complete failure.

I could be wrong ofc but I wonder what would happen if the company did go under surely someone else would buy up the rights to FF and DQ they would be nuts not to or those that have the rights could start again with a new studio which maybe for the best but then again I have enjoyed a lot of the FF games IV,VI,VII and X are my personal faves but with the exception of II they have all been enjoyable and I like how they keep changing it not sticking to a tried formula even if it worked really well unlike say DQ especially as so few publishers take risks these days. Yes I want them to remake VII but I also want them to continue developing the FF franchise even though its always been a bit hit and miss.

If it does kill them they only have their self to blame though why make such a high risk project that you dont know if a market still exists for? If you are going to spend potentially company destroying amounts of money on a project its best to make sure theres a serious potential market for it and it is widely accessible i.e on all platforms not just High to Medium high end PCs.

Final this, Fantasy that, blablabla
Am I'm the only one who remembers that Square Enix released DeusEx:HR
And the game was awesome
I know that they didn't developed it, but didn't they got a hint to try and work on other title?
Because at this point they looks like FFF* to me

*Final Fantasy Factory

Part of me really wants to see the FINAL Fantasy of Square. If FF makes it to part 20, should gamers be proud or ashamed?

At least I jumped off that ship at part 8.

Comic Sans:

Well said.

There will never be another true Final Fantasy because everybody who used to work on the series, everybody who ever made it what it was, is gone. While this may just as easily be said of most other famous Square/Enix franchises at this point, a new instalment in any of THOSE would still be a sensation in and of itself. Even if it should turn out to be crap, it would almost certainly sell more than well enough to keep the company afloat for a good while yet.

I think SE's biggest mistake right now is that they inexplicably insist on flogging the WRONG dead horse.

Nicolaus99:
Part of me really wants to see the FINAL Fantasy of Square. If FF makes it to part 20, should gamers be proud or ashamed?

At least I jumped off that ship at part 8.

Dude, you NEED to check out Final Fantasy 9. Just saying.

Good Riddance.

Square Enix has done nothing but release garbage ever since the big minds behind FF and Chrono Trigger left the company

DVS BSTrD:
Let's hope lightning doesn't strike twice!

I take it you haven't heard of Final Fantasy 13-3 then?

blackrave:
Final this, Fantasy that, blablabla
Am I'm the only one who remembers that Square Enix released DeusEx:HR
And the game was awesome
I know that they didn't developed it, but didn't they got a hint to try and work on other title?
Because at this point they looks like FFF* to me

*Final Fantasy Factory

May I add that SquareEnix also published Sleeping Dogs, which was fucking brilliant?

I say Squenix should just focus on publishing seeing as they've had much more success with that over the past few years with games such as Just Cause 2, Deus Ex HR, and sleeping dogs.

SkarKrow:

DVS BSTrD:

Actually no, They'll never learn will they?

Hey square how about before you put all your hope into something that has a large chance of failing you try doing some successful things first.

Do a re-release of illusion of gaia

Do an HD remake of FF 7

Try doing another Just cause

Develop the Deus Ex universe a bit more

and most importantly release try making Kingdom Hearts 3

What is it with all these dragons destroying all these worlds?! Fuck dragons!

WoW+DaoC+Diablo+FF sounds all good to me. I'm hoping this is where Squenix redeems itself. Also, if they do this right, the japanese playerbase alone will probably keep it afloat even if WoW destroys it in the west.

Fortunately for them, you could not possible do worse than FFXIV, so they're in the green.

World of Warcraft? Diablo? Ultima? Dark Age of Camelot?

Is this the part where they throw all semblance of originality out the window in favour of a broader audience?

DVS BSTrD:

SkarKrow:

DVS BSTrD:

Actually no, They'll never learn will they?

No ): No they won't. It makes me sad inside.

If they would just make a better, fancier more inclusive FFXI I'd be over the moon with joy. This WoW talk is deeply concerning to me...The LAST thing we need is another WoW clone repackaged as Final Fantasy. Not only that, just mentioning in that interview that they were using WoW as an inspiration will probably cause anyone who reads it to compare it to WoW, and that is not a good thing.

Oh my jeebuz, Squeenix! We all know what you need to do: KH3, TWETY2, Versus 13, FF7 HD Remake...

It's the same thing every time! Gawd!

FFVII would be nigh impossible to translate to a modern game, at most they could maybe gussy it up a bit, but doing a full out remake like that tech demo cutscene isn't going to happen.

TWEWY doesn't have that big of a following, sure it is a cult hit, and has lots of vocal fans, but it's not going to be enough to save them.

KH3, alright this is probably the one big ace up their sleeve right now, and I'm sure they're hard at work on it, but at this point it's been so long that it needs to be perfect. They will take their time with this.

FFXI, lots of people dismissing this game in this thread, but actually it is Square-Enix's most profitable game EVER, and surely that is the driving motivation behind them wanting to make XIV work.

Personally though, I would love for them to revisit old SNES Enix titles, such as Actraiser or E.V.O, but again these are pretty niche titles that would be very hard to pull off as modern games.

So actually it seems like FFXIV might be a good thing for them to focus on for now.

tselski:
FFVII would be nigh impossible to translate to a modern game, at most they could maybe gussy it up a bit, but doing a full out remake like that tech demo cutscene isn't going to happen.

TWEWY doesn't have that big of a following, sure it is a cult hit, and has lots of vocal fans, but it's not going to be enough to save them.

KH3, alright this is probably the one big ace up their sleeve right now, and I'm sure they're hard at work on it, but at this point it's been so long that it needs to be perfect. They will take their time with this.

FFXI, lots of people dismissing this game in this thread, but actually it is Square-Enix's most profitable game EVER, and surely that is the driving motivation behind them wanting to make XIV work.

Personally though, I would love for them to revisit old SNES Enix titles, such as Actraiser or E.V.O, but again these are pretty niche titles that would be very hard to pull off as modern games.

So actually it seems like FFXIV might be a good thing for them to focus on for now.

I their they'd be best to revisit some of their older IPs and maybe even make a new one, but do them on smaller budgets. The problem with modern games is that they waste so much money when an equal (or arguably better) game can be made cheaper, as the cost is lower they can try new stuff. And cheaper budget doesn't mean low quality, just not wasting it where its not needed.

RicoADF:

tselski:

I their they'd be best to revisit some of their older IPs and maybe even make a new one, but do them on smaller budgets. The problem with modern games is that they waste so much money when an equal (or arguably better) game can be made cheaper, as the cost is lower they can try new stuff. And cheaper budget doesn't mean low quality, just not wasting it where its not needed.

Yeah, that's a good idea actually. It would be cool if they did some new 16-bit styled games, like how Capcom made those retro Megaman games, they did that FF4 sequel a while back that had SNES styled graphics, I'm surprised that didn't catch on more. Or even just smaller downloadable games (maybe even episodic games) to tide people over between their big releases.

Falterfire:
The only way this has a CHANCE of surviving is with a very good free to play model. A subscription model will kill it instantly in the west and as far as I know there's already a ton of competition for eastern MMOs and they follow a distinctly different pattern from Western ones.

IF they have a solid free to play model, they might be able to survive, but otherwise they're fighting both Guild Wars and World of Warcraft for the 'High Fantasy' MMO spot and that's not exactly going to be an easy fight to win.

How is a 'solid free to play model' going to be any more successful in ensuring the games long term success? And more importantly, how is a 'solid free to play model' going to make enough money for Square Enix to survive as a company long term?

Why does square insist on making mmo's when both of their attempts never gain ed that much traction how about you tryt o make good Jrpgs instead square..

Space Jawa:
How is a 'solid free to play model' going to be any more successful in ensuring the games long term success? And more importantly, how is a 'solid free to play model' going to make enough money for Square Enix to survive as a company long term?

Well, it's simply a matter of competition. If Square Enix tries to make it a subscription MMO they're directly competing with WoW and that's not a fight they're likely to win. Subscription based MMOs in general are pretty much financial suicide these days, and fantasy subscription MMOs especially.

Free to Play means a different set of competition and also means it'll be much easier to immediately grab people. That's important on a game that previously had a poor launch and is unlikely to have an immediate buyin from a lot of people.

I was really hyped about FF Versus 13, but now, it would be so old it would not play well. If they just released that rather than push FF13 into our faces with a sequel and a third promise; maybe I'd care, but a crappy run company is crap so it's dying. Good bye Square Enix, I hope you regain some sense and pull a rabbit out of your ass, but that is unlikely. I will always remember you as the company that didn't release Pandora's Tower in America, shot down Versus 13, and made great games between the shit.

Falterfire:

Space Jawa:

Well, it's simply a matter of competition. If Square Enix tries to make it a subscription MMO they're directly competing with WoW and that's not a fight they're likely to win. Subscription based MMOs in general are pretty much financial suicide these days, and fantasy subscription MMOs especially.

Free to Play means a different set of competition and also means it'll be much easier to immediately grab people. That's important on a game that previously had a poor launch and is unlikely to have an immediate buyin from a lot of people.

They'll still have competition, and if what I'm aware of about the market is correct at all, the free to play market features even more competitors. And even if the game is free monetary wise, it'll still take up peoples time. They'll still have to convince people to stop using their time to play their other games and spend their time playing this game instead?

And if the launch of the previous game was as bad as everyone says, then what guarantee is there that anyone who decides to give the game a look because it doesn't cost any money play is going to spend any money on whatever system that Square has to actually make some money from the game? Based on what you're saying, how is going free to play going to allow Square to make enough money off of this game to keep the whole company from going under?

They don't have to win against WoW, they just have to lure in and keep enough subscribers to make the game profitable enough to keep the company running, at least until they manage to put together another game that provides them with another source of profit. Why does it have to be about winning or loosing against World of Warcraft? Why can't they just focus on keeping competitive enough to avoid going out of business entirely?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here