Nintendo President Says Competitors Must Respond to Wii U

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Sony and Microsoft have to match the Wii U's appeal, according to Nintendo.

After moving 400,000 units in one week, Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, is pretty optimistic about the Wii U's long-term prospects. Fils-Aime is so confident, in fact, that he's issued a challenge to competitors Sony and Microsoft: this time, you'll respond to us. While the original Wii was the last one released in the console wars of the last generation, the Wii U has spearheaded console gaming's next generation, and Fils-Aime stands behind its early launch.

Fils-Aime has some harsh words for Sony and Microsoft regarding their next consoles, which will likely be more traditional than Nintendo's Wii U. "In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be," says Fils-Aime. "It's likely that faster processors and pretty pictures won't be enough to motivate consumers." The Nintendo president believes that one of the Wii U's primary selling points is its unique control scheme, and that Sony and Microsoft will have to offer something of similar distinctiveness to deliver a worthy next-gen experience.

While the Wii U has launched far ahead of the purported Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4, Fils-Aime does not believe that the difference in release windows will hamper Nintendo's system. "For us, launching new systems is about bringing new consumer experiences to the marketplace and we're doing that," he explains, and believes that all the technology is already in place for a new system launch. "[Now] is the right time to launch new hardware."

The Wii U more or less has a monopoly on next-gen consoles for the time being, but Microsoft and Sony are sure to respond in kind, and perhaps with more ambitious plans than just increased specs for their consoles. Now is as good a time as any for Nintendo to play offense, but with the forthcoming introduction of two new consoles, the landscape could change very rapidly.

Source: CNET

I'm sure that Sony and Microsoft will find a market in those who want to play something other than Mario and Zelda rehash, like those who want Halo and Modern Warfare and Battlefield rehash.

So with all of those sold out pre-order the new Wii U sold 200,000 less than the Wii in week one?

Yeah, this basically confirms that Nintendo is limiting the supply to create demand once again. There's no other reason for the sales to be one third less than its predecessor when they were touting sold out pre-orders so hard.

...Uhh.....Can i have a Dreamcast 2? Please?? No? Ok...

They already have, with the current generation.

Welcome to the seventh generation Nintendo.

I don't see why Sony and/or MS have to respond at all, at least not in the way that he's implying. Nintendo's shown their hand. Of course Sony and MS will put out their own systems, but nothing that the WiiU is doing is really all that different from what the Wii did in it's early life. Sony and MS could come out with even more traditional gaming systems and they wouldn't likely be hurt at all. In fact, many gamers complaints about the Wii/PS3/360 generation is that Sony and MS actually hurt themselves by spending time/money trying to capture the audience Nintendo had already captured.

I don't get it when he says "they will respond to us this time" I mean, didn't they respond to the Wii by stealing its gimmick? Kinect is a glorified full body wii mote with only half the functionality. And the PS move IS a wii mote.

Something tells me that PS4 and NextBox will release some kind of BS peripheral that costs an arm and a leg that no one in their right mind would pay for in order to give their customers the "Wii U experience" Microsoft/Sony edition.

Kroxile:
I don't get it when he says "they will respond to us this time" I mean, didn't they respond to the Wii by stealing its gimmick? Kinect is a glorified full body wii mote with only half the functionality. And the PS move IS a wii mote.

Something tells me that PS4 and NextBox will release some kind of BS peripheral that costs an arm and a leg that no one in their right mind would pay for in order to give their customers the "Wii U experience" Microsoft/Sony edition.

At least the MS/Sony peripherals were optional. Hopefully it stays that way.

Nintendo: "Come at us, bros!"
Sony and Microsoft: *Keep supplying the Xbox 360 and PS3 with games for the next 3-4 years then laugh as they release consoles better than the WiiU which get snapped up in higher quantities.*

Yea his statement sounds kinda childish and over enthusiastic. I bet he thinks Nintendo owns the console market now.

Kroxile:

Microsoft stole Sonys eye toy gimmick which predated the Wii gimmick by a fair bit.

OT:

Fils-Aime has some harsh words for Sony and Microsoft regarding their next consoles, which will likely be more traditional than Nintendo's Wii U. "In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be," says Fils-Aime.

Oh more traditional? Like just being a damn machine I can play my games on without a lot of gimmicks and such?

Yes please!

Yes, Nintendo's competitors must respond to their new and buggy console with no good games, tons of gimmicks, and severely outdated hardware.
It's like shooting yourself in the foot then saying "What're you going to do about it?" I'd take you to a hospital, Nintendo.

The Wii U is barely even a next-gen console. Eurogamer analyzed the performance of games like BLOPS2, Mass Effect 3, and Arkham City and found that more often than not the Wii U performed WORSE than the 360. Once Sony and Microsoft bring out their next-gen consoles, the Wii U will occupy the same space the Wii did -- an underpowered console with a gimmicky control system that's fun for casual gamers but useless to hardcore gamers, except for maybe some Nintendo first-party games.

I won't be surprised if third party developers refrain from putting true next-gen games on the Wii U. If not, I expect the Wii U to hold back third party game development. POS can barely play current gen games as is.

Somehow, I knew it would be the American division. Oh, those wacky guys.

I'm really hoping they -don't- respond to it. Whether you like or don't like the new gimmick, you can at least appreciate that it's not for everyone. Like I've said before, the biggest reason I've touched my Wii is because of gamecube games and Wii games that don't use Wii-motion. Outside of a rare few exceptions (Like maybe Pandora's Tower) my personal gaming experience wasn't enhanced by Wii-motion and, in many cases, I felt hindered by it (Basic attack on Okami, how you frustrate me!).

The Wii U may be an interesting alternate avenue for gaming but I don't want it to be a substitute for more traditional modes of gaming.

Extreme gaming PC. Now im buying a Wii U. Why? So i have everything. "what about the xbox and playstation console?" Who needs them? Superior PC.

Wow, you guys really spun his comments so hard that it's sort of sad.

Let's read the actual statement: "In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be."

Pardon me for being crazy, but isn't that how every company should approach their business strategy? Namely, by saying "okay, here's our product, let's see what our opponents can do now"? And being part of a large popular company, wouldn't you want your figureheads making positive statements and oozing confidence about your new product?

Imagine if he'd come out and said this instead: "Hey guys! We released a buggy console with very few games and a gimmick that causes a lot of processor bottlenecking. We're pretty sure Sony and Microsoft are going to kick our asses this time!"

Do you want your company's American division president saying that? Uh, probably not.

You're literally making a news story out of ordinary positive PR statements, spinning it to sound like some sort of boast when it's not. I'm not sure what to think. But it's sort of ridiculous.

He did get one thing right though: Sony and Microsoft will likely respond during the next E3. Devs already have a devkit for the next XBox, and it's likely to have its own version of Kinect built in because Microsoft is hammering that gimmick so hard that it'll make Nintendo's Wii look tame. Sony likely stands as the only console which might avoid the gimmicks altogether this time around, since their Wiimote ripoff didn't do well.

CriticKitten:
Wow, you guys really spun his comments so hard that it's sort of sad.

Let's read the actual statement: "In the end, our competitors need to react to what we're doing in the marketplace and need to figure out what their innovation will be."

Pardon me for being crazy, but isn't that how every company should approach their business strategy? Namely, by saying "okay, here's our product, let's see what our opponents can do now"? And being part of a large popular company, wouldn't you want your figureheads making positive statements and oozing confidence about your new product?

Imagine if he'd come out and said this instead: "Hey guys! We released a buggy console with very few games and a gimmick that causes a lot of processor bottlenecking. We're pretty sure Sony and Microsoft are going to kick our asses this time!"

You're literally making a news story out of ordinary PR, spinning it to sound like some sort of boast when it's not. I'm not sure what to think.

Dude. Its the escapist. Nintendo is shit talked in every way possible. They are RIGHT up there with EA in shit talk. Poor guys.

Darmy647:
Dude. Its the escapist. Nintendo is shit talked in every way possible. They are RIGHT up there with EA in shit talk. Poor guys.

It's just sort of sad in this case, really.

It's like they really expected him to say anything other than blatantly positive PR stuff, like they expected him to admit the console's potential faults and just gush about how they want their gamers to stop abandoning them and yadda yadda.

It's just weaksauce. At least be honest and quote the guy right. Reggie's at least a decent guy and deserves that much, even if you don't like the company.

Reggie, we both know that their "response" to the Wii-U is the LAST thing you want to see.

Yeah, no. I buy Sony's products because I like the exclusives, and because I feel loyal to them since I've had many great memories of PS1 games from my childhood. I sincerely hope that Sony goes the way of better specs as their gimmick again, because I'm sick of motion controls. I just want to play fun GAMES, with a controller.

As long as sony responds with the rebirth of the Other OS feature on the PS4 and a guarantee to all customers that if they remove it again they will refund all customers 500% of the purchase price

CriticKitten:

Darmy647:

It's just sort of sad in this case, really.

It's like they really expected him to say anything other than blatantly positive PR stuff, like they expected him to admit the console's potential faults and just gush about how they want their gamers to stop abandoning them and yadda yadda.

It's just weaksauce. At least be honest and quote the guy right. Reggie's at least a decent guy and deserves that much, even if you don't like the company.

I dont particularly like it myself, as they at least deserve respect for what they have done for the industry. Im not saying held on pillars of gold. Just respected. But no. Im gunna play mario with a grin on my face for years to come because they are still and will always be what i grew up on, and admired for years to come.

Uhh...okay.

PS3 and Xbox360. Done
You gotta admire Sony's and MS' ability to travel back in time and respond.

Seriously, the WIiU is innovative in the same way that the Wii was. It sorta introduced a new (and useless) feature to gaming, it was pretty for a while and that's it.
Sony and MS still have the advantage over online gaming and interactivity, game variety (I'm talking about the Wii on that instance only), and maybe even graphics. Not like I care about the latter.

It's not about being innovative, it's about being effective. If they're talking about Nintendo being eager to see what Sony and Ms come up with, it's kinda predictable. But I'm sure it will work. There's a reason why Sony and MS kinda dominated this generation overall (Yeah, the big N had a good start but that's about it).

And yet we've been waiting for a proper response for quite some time while MS and Sony still sit over only a table away from the gamers.

What I expect to see when it happens though is this:

Microsoft hype up Glass and it's connectivity with phones and tablets as if it's the greatest innovation ever while continuing with the failure Kinect.

Sony will continue to push it's hardware while trying to come up with a new Wii styled mote of it's own and possibly a return of the eye toy only years later to the party again.

Nintendo as usual will try something new and everyone will just point and laugh while thinking highly of themselves.

PC will still be there still claiming they are the master race while they scoff another packet of ignorance.

Bottom line, I don't care what the next gen brings because I already know it's going to start with more fanned flames and we'll have more tech geeks trying to one up another on which console or hardware is more "superior" when you could just sit the hell down and play the damn console and shut the hell up.

That being said I look forward to grabbing myself a Wii U in the future because I want to not because it's "better" or superior in graphics" it's because I desire to try "change".

Are Microsoft and Sony supposed to respond by laughing at Nintendo? Because I think that would be my response to this statement.

AzrealMaximillion:
So with all of those sold out pre-order the new Wii U sold 200,000 less than the Wii in week one?

Yeah, this basically confirms that Nintendo is limiting the supply to create demand once again. There's no other reason for the sales to be one third less than its predecessor when they were touting sold out pre-orders so hard.

The mere limit of a product does not increase demand. The supply/demand interaction only affects prices. A shortage of consoles does not increase the price for Nintendo. They have no reason to purposely shortfall supply as there being less of them does no increase the price, so they are therefore hurting themselves by not having adequate supply. I'm just saying as it makes no sense for them purposely have a shortage. Oil companies claim peak oil because it allows them to raise prices. Antiques are expensive because there is not a large supply of a given item and it's rarity increases the value. There is no value increase for Nintendo to have less than an adequate supply.

I thought the WiiU was meant to be a "response" to the Playstation 3 and XBox.

Wow I wonder how he said that with a straight face. Then again he is a businessman.

My guess is that most core gamers want a traditional machine that can run games on the High/Ultra PC equivalent, not an extra tiny screen that makes the controller heavy. And I just know that most developers aren't going to use that extra screen to good effect, but rather as a stupid gimmick.

Baresark:

AzrealMaximillion:

The mere limit of a product does not increase demand. The supply/demand interaction only affects prices. A shortage of consoles does not increase the price for Nintendo. They have no reason to purposely shortfall supply as there being less of them does no increase the price, so they are therefore hurting themselves by not having adequate supply. I'm just saying as it makes no sense for them purposely have a shortage. Oil companies claim peak oil because it allows them to raise prices. Antiques are expensive because there is not a large supply of a given item and it's rarity increases the value. There is no value increase for Nintendo to have less than an adequate supply.

I'm sorry but the limit of supply method was clearly used with the Wii's release. There was no reason back then for Wii's to constantly be sold out like they were for months after launch. Also, the supply/demand cycle doesn't just affect prices. It does have a significant effect on sales provided the product in question has enough hype generated around it, and it also gives the manufacturer (in this case Nintendo) something nice to report to investors so that stock becomes more valuable.

Hell, Microsoft was just caught limiting supply runs when their Surface Tablet "sold out" after tiny amounts were shipped to stores.

I'm just saying that its odd to see the Wii U selling a whole 33% less than the Wii upon launch considering that pre orders "sold out" really quick. I'm also pointing this out because there have been a bunch of Nintendo fans using the "but pre orders sold out so it'll be as successful as the Wii" argument to (very poorly in my opinion) shut down Wii U skeptics.

Less product with the right hype usually does create demand, the Wii's shortages whether purposeful or not are an example of that. People were hunting Wiis down like rabid dogs for months after it was released. I was one of them, and I have/have seen saw many others who would call their local Gamestop, department store, or Wal-Mart to see if Wiis were in stock, only to be told for the 5th week in a row, "no sorry, just sold out the 3-5 that we got in today".

I can't agree that limited supply doesn't raise demand, there are just too many events where that has been proven otherwise.

Now the Wii U doesn't have the same level of hype that the Wii had, which may explain the fact that it sold a decent chunk less than the Wii on opening week.

Redhawkmillenium:
The Wii U is barely even a next-gen console. Eurogamer analyzed the performance of games like BLOPS2, Mass Effect 3, and Arkham City and found that more often than not the Wii U performed WORSE than the 360. Once Sony and Microsoft bring out their next-gen consoles, the Wii U will occupy the same space the Wii did -- an underpowered console with a gimmicky control system that's fun for casual gamers but useless to hardcore gamers, except for maybe some Nintendo first-party games.

I won't be surprised if third party developers refrain from putting true next-gen games on the Wii U. If not, I expect the Wii U to hold back third party game development. POS can barely play current gen games as is.

Yes, cause quick ports is the best way to decide how strong a system is. If that is the case, PC gamers would actually be the master race with games strong enough to punch out Cthulhu. Instead, we just get games that look better, worse case, we get Dark Souls or Resident Evil 4.
Strong hardware is useless if the software doesn't know how to utilize it and it's probably going to take a year for that to happen. Some small developers making downloadable games might get there faster so we will have to wait and see.

ThePuzzldPirate:

Redhawkmillenium:

Yes, cause quick ports is the best way to decide how strong a system is. If that is the case, PC gamers would actually be the master race with games strong enough to punch out Cthulhu. Instead, we just get games that look better, worse case, we get Dark Souls or Resident Evil 4.
Strong hardware is useless if the software doesn't know how to utilize it and it's probably going to take a year for that to happen. Some small developers making downloadable games might get there faster so we will have to wait and see.

With time for developers to get used to the system, the Wii U might edge out the 360 in performance. But it shouldn't be like that. With each console generation jump, we saw the benefits immediately. The first Gears of War, for example, looked far better on a technical level than any Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube game, and it was running in HD to boot. With the Wii U, games are running at the same resolution as current generation consoles, with the same level of detail (or worse -- several games have observably lower quality shadows on the Wii U), and actually tend to run worse. The Wii U, just like the Wii, will be stuck just being an enhancement of the last generation's graphics quality while Sony and Microsoft push truly next-gen graphics.

AzrealMaximillion:

Baresark:
snip

I'm sorry but the limit of supply method was clearly used with the Wii's release. There was no reason back then for Wii's to constantly be sold out like they were for months after launch. Also, the supply/demand cycle doesn't just affect prices. It does have a significant effect on sales provided the product in question has enough hype generated around it, and it also gives the manufacturer (in this case Nintendo) something nice to report to investors so that stock becomes more valuable.

Hell, Microsoft was just caught limiting supply runs when their Surface Tablet "sold out" after tiny amounts were shipped to stores.

I'm just saying that its odd to see the Wii U selling a whole 33% less than the Wii upon launch considering that pre orders "sold out" really quick. I'm also pointing this out because there have been a bunch of Nintendo fans using the "but pre orders sold out so it'll be as successful as the Wii" argument to (very poorly in my opinion) shut down Wii U skeptics.

Less product with the right hype usually does create demand, the Wii's shortages whether purposeful or not are an example of that. People were hunting Wiis down like rabid dogs for months after it was released. I was one of them, and I have/have seen saw many others who would call their local Gamestop, department store, or Wal-Mart to see if Wiis were in stock, only to be told for the 5th week in a row, "no sorry, just sold out the 3-5 that we got in today".

I can't agree that limited supply doesn't raise demand, there are just too many events where that has been proven otherwise.

Now the Wii U doesn't have the same level of hype that the Wii had, which may explain the fact that it sold a decent chunk less than the Wii on opening week.

You make some good points, but I stick by what I said. To purposely shortfall the supply with high demand to without there being an actual purpose doesn't make sense. It is rather funny though that good old Reggie said supply chains were solid in September, haha. The demand is there because it's new and offers new things. The shortage doesn't make me want it more than I do (which really means that I'm waiting for at least 6 games I want, 3-4 of which need to be exclusives). I can't find a single instance of supply shortages for the purpose of raising demand. That is almost opposite of the idea that Keynes had which was supply can create it's own demand (which is ridiculous of course). But I digress. I would love to hear examples of low supply increasing demand though.

I agree though, it is odd that they would act like this is so great when the numbers represent it as worse than Wii sales. The only thing about that is they seem to have been playing it safe, that is my only explanation. They thought they had good supply chains but then they thought it wouldn't take off like it did.

Redhawkmillenium:

With time for developers to get used to the system, the Wii U might edge out the 360 in performance. But it shouldn't be like that. With each console generation jump, we saw the benefits immediately. The first Gears of War, for example, looked far better on a technical level than any Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube game, and it was running in HD to boot. With the Wii U, games are running at the same resolution as current generation consoles, with the same level of detail (or worse -- several games have observably lower quality shadows on the Wii U), and actually tend to run worse. The Wii U, just like the Wii, will be stuck just being an enhancement of the last generation's graphics quality while Sony and Microsoft push truly next-gen graphics.

Ha ha ha Nope. Your wrong dude. I have had to make this argument so many times before now. I'm sorry if I am being a little mean here, but it seems like people keep forgetting: Launch Games are never better then what is already out.

And Gears of War? Gears of War 1 looks terrible compared to Gears of War 2, and both look worse then Gears of War 3.

The WiiU already looks slightly better then Xbox 360 games. So imagine further down the road. The WiiU will look phenomenal!

Redhawkmillenium:

ThePuzzldPirate:

Redhawkmillenium:

You say that it shouldn't be like that but it is, Gears of War wasn't a launch title, it had a full year(imagine that) after the console was released. There is a list here(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch) and your going to be hard pressed to find a port game that looked better than there x-box counter part.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here