GOG.com Supports Windows 8

Pages PREV 1 2

rodneyy:

Oskuro:
What is being criticized about Windows 8 is not its current form or capabilities, but that it is a "foot in the door" technique by Microsoft, in an attempt to make PCs into an iOS-like closed market.

ASnogarD:
The biggest concern is that Win8 will introduce users to the idea of a Apple like store in Windows, and the next version will force developers to use the Apple like store to get thier software to Win OS users.
Win8 itself isnt really an issue, its the idea that it gets users used to having a windows 'store' so when the store becomes the only way to bring software to the OS the users are already used to using it, and its only the 'greedy' developers that are arguing about it.

this is the objection that most people have, its the first step on a path, once you are walking it the next step and the one after that become easier and easier untill you have sleptwalked into something you hate.

what i wonder is would a totally closed system like people fear be legal in an anti monopoly sence?
i think it was here i was reading an article saying that microsoft were being fined by the EU over not implementing an option to have a selection of web browsers installed with new systems. letting you choose one from a list. lets face it having to go throught IE to download firefox or chrome seems small compared to having to get everything through a single shop yet it was still thought important enough to set up and act when it was not carried out.

A more abvious counter argument would be that no business (which less we forget is microsoft's main market) is going to use a closed operating system because it means that they won't be able to install company specific software or custom programmes. Though on the other hand no company is going to upgrade to windows 7 either because it doesn't work on old server models (you can't using it on 32bit server machines).

Fanghawk:
The classic gaming service has not only announced that it will officially support Windows 8, but that 431 of its 486 games are already compatible with the new operating system.

486... No one else noticed this?

Does it run at 33mhz 66mhz or 100mhz? Is it SX math co or DX...

Ok, I been playing with computers to long >_>

exobook:

A more abvious counter argument would be that no business (which less we forget is microsoft's main market) is going to use a closed operating system because it means that they won't be able to install company specific software or custom programmes. Though on the other hand no company is going to upgrade to windows 7 either because it doesn't work on old server models (you can't using it on 32bit server machines).

From what MS have been saying MSDN and Technet memberships will presumably include the software tools needed to sideload WindowsRT apps onto WindowsRT. They will also presumably be included as part of volume licensing deals. The details appear to be a bit fuzzy still. However it is done you, or your company, will need a developer licence for Windows 8/RT.

EDIT A bit of clarification. With a developer licence and patience it's possible to individually sideload apps signed with that licence at the moment (or you wouldn't be able to test them on Windows RT devices). I can see that getting tedious quickly doing it for a whole company or division, though. Microsoft have said the tools are available. Unless by that they mean scripting the process using Powershell, in which case they are severely overestimating the skills of many Windows developers and admins.

Andrew_C:

exobook:

From what MS have been saying MSDN and Technet memberships will presumably include the software tools needed to sideload WindowsRT apps onto WindowsRT. They will also presumably be included as part of volume licensing deals. The details appear to be a bit fuzzy still. However it is done you, or your company, will need a developer licence for Windows 8/RT.

EDIT A bit of clarification. With a developer licence and patience it's possible to individually sideload apps signed with that licence at the moment (or you wouldn't be able to test them on Windows RT devices). I can see that getting tedious quickly doing it for a whole company or division, though. Microsoft have said the tools are available. Unless by that they mean scripting the process using Powershell, in which case they are severely overestimating the skills of many Windows developers and admins.

oh yes, like thats going to be popular (or afforadble) with the small to medium sized business

exobook:

Andrew_C:

exobook:

oh yes, like thats going to be popular (or afforadble) with the small to medium sized business

I didn't say it would be cheap or easy. While Microsoft do seem to have thought about the issue, what they have at the moment seems to be more of a side-effect of the Windows Store developer program than a real effort. It's definitely going to cause heartache for SME's.

Okay, I don't get one thing. Is Microsoft Certification *required* absolutely to be sold for Windows? I mean anyone can make and sell a game via all the various DDSs and there are plenty of current games that don't have any certification I know of.

If the certification is only required for a particular stamp, who gives a damn? Seriously? I don't care if it has "Games for Windows" on the box. As long as I can see it running and there's no news of major incompatibilities, I'll buy it. Screw Microsoft certification. I'm sure i have games in my steam library that don't have "windows certification".

What does it matter when every new thing's made for 7 year old consoles anyway?

Actually I've been thinking, what if we're thinking about this in the wrong way. What if microsoft doesn't want to make a full closed traditional OS for desktops, what if they're instead aiming for a closed off content provider for a media and computing hub.

So you have some mad crossover of Xbox, a PC, a TV, internet explorer and xbox live all rolled into one. Instead of microsoft concentrating on traditional computer or trying to catch up with apple, try to jump the gun and create a system that bridges the gap and does everything. So you have one machine that does your gaming, your mobile activity via the surface tablet and your TV. Now thats much more interesting for microsoft that a simple closed operating system.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here