Bungie Reveals Snapshot of Its Destiny

Bungie Reveals Snapshot of Its Destiny

"We weren't quite ready, but we will be soon," says Bungie about its unintentional game reveal.

If you're wondering what the armored behemoth in the picture is, so am I, and so are we all; but it is part of the latest game from Bungie, Destiny. An unintentional reveal from a PR firm forced Bungie's hand, and though the game maker - famous for shooters Halo and Marathon - does want to talk about its game, it can't; at least, not yet.

"We can't wait to finally show you what we've really been up to," said Bungie in a post on its webpage. We don't know much about Destiny yet but, if the reveal is to be believed, the story starts seven centuries from now when everything has gone to hell in a handbasket. Man has had his day, and the remains of his Golden Age can be found scattered all over the solar system. Now most people live in the Last City, trying not to die. You play as a Knight defending the last remnants of humanity against alien creatures determined to take over Earth. You're helped in this endeavor by the Traveler, a massive alien ship that hangs over the planet like a second Moon.

If you were hoping I was about to tell you what platform this would be on, or even a release date, tough luck; this comes courtesy of a leaked document that Bungie didn't want out in the wild. There's loose talk that Xbox 360 and PS3 iconography - and even Xbox 720 and PS4 - is included in the PR documents, for what that's worth.

Still, there's bound to be more to come. In the meantime, let the wild speculation commence!

Source: IGN

I REEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY hope they've improved on vehicle controls.

DVS BSTrD:

agreed. dont want another worthog......with legs.

ot: this looks amazing! humanities last stand. this will be epic! hopefully.

This seems like Bungie doing exactly what they are good at. Great, sweeping, large scale Science Fiction. Been a fan of the Marathon Series, ONI, and Halo and loved every second of them. This reveal is good news for me. Also that picture is now my desktop background.

DVS BSTrD:

I always liked the warthog and mongoose. Was a lot more fun than driving just another jeep or ATV but a lot less frustrating than the Mako from Mass Effect.

DVS BSTrD:

Personally I REEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY hope they release it on PC as well

They do realize they're working for Actiblizzion don't they?

I mean, I appreciate some creativity, but, with Actiblizzion that only allows for more disappointment.

is it just me or does that look like hoth with the empire coming in?

either way, looks cool, can't wait to see more details!

I usually don't like shooter, but that screenshot looks interesting. Especially that tank thingy. Can't wait to get disappointed when they reveal on what platforms it's going to be.

Pleaaaaaaaase make a PC port. I love ya Bungie but you're killing me here with the console exclusives.

well, they are looking good.

just like a oni sequel! (damn it, stop giving us shooters)

Looks like lost planet and fallout had a baby, colour me interested.

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

Idk why they don't mention this in the leak articles. The IGN leaked article which is the original mentions that the first Destiny game will be out for PC, PS3, and 360. The next one then being out for the PS4, 720, and PC. Both this and the Dtoid article fail to mention this even though they use the IGN article as a source. I mean this one at least includes the PS3/PS4 and 360/720, but doesn't mention it's also for PC.

My only concern thus far is the setting. It can definitely be good, but if its an eternal winter type setting, everything will either be white or the color of the tank. I know Bungie isn't exactly known for colorful settings, but I'd like to see some effort in that aspect.

gmaverick019:

That's exactly what I thought at first glance.

The artwork in intrigues me, and the hints of the plot sound somewhat unique, so I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one.

The Lunatic:
They do realize they're working for Actiblizzion don't they?

I mean, I appreciate some creativity, but, with Actiblizzion that only allows for more disappointment.

The deal that Bungie signed with Activision specifically said that Acti is only a publisher, and they will neither have any say in how Bungie develops its projects nor will they own their new IP.

gmaverick019:

either way, looks cool, can't wait to see more details!

it reminds me more of DUST than anything

but that is a good thing. This looks very interesting, right in bungie's wheelhouse, and im looking forward to playing it.

Pretty much Trigun / Cowboy Bebop meets Halo. I'm interested.

And it's been a while since Bungie did something reminiscent of anime since Oni.

Hope it comes out on PC.

SupahGamuh:
Pretty much Trigun / Cowboy Bebop meets Halo. I'm interested.

And it's been a while since Bungie did something reminiscent of anime since Oni.

Huh, glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that...

it looks kinda like a more gritty lost planet
which would be amazing

So happy they're not being forced down the MMS route. I eagerly await more information.

Korten12:

FelixG:

DVS BSTrD:

Idk why they don't mention this in the leak articles. The IGN leaked article which is the original mentions that the first Destiny game will be out for PC, PS3, and 360. The next one then being out for the PS4, 720, and PC. Both this and the Dtoid article fail to mention this even though they use the IGN article as a source. I mean this one at least includes the PS3/PS4 and 360/720, but doesn't mention it's also for PC.

Well that is reassuring!

And it is indeed strange... One would think adding "And PC" wouldnt be too hard for an article.

Gitty101:
snip

Quoting you to make sure ya dont miss Korten's post! ^.^

I'll be honest. I love Bungie. I love Halo, although I haven't played 3 and beyond much because I have no 360.
Nice to see Bungie is sticking to what it's good, no, great at, huge epic Sci-fi. Can't wait to play this, hoping it'll be out for PS3 as well. Fascinated by the premise already.

So, let me get this straight. This is a futuristic game with aliens, apparently both good and bad, with the main character being a human who is essentially a future/space Knight, but with guns? Bungie, you haven't let me down yet. And you have my attention.

One thing: Let us be able to customize the main character for the single player, even when it comes to gender, appearance and armor? I would be almost willing to kiss each and every person involved in development smack dab on the lips. Because that, that right there? Would be close to my video-game dream. Let me play as an alien? Ooooooh, mama...

Yes, I am most definitely interested.

crimson sickle2:
My only concern thus far is the setting. It can definitely be good, but if its an eternal winter type setting, everything will either be white or the color of the tank. I know Bungie isn't exactly known for colorful settings, but I'd like to see some effort in that aspect.

What the hell are you talking about? Have you seen the amount of colors in Bungie games that aren't brown and gray? One of the things I appreciate about the Halo series is that a lot of the environments are not covered in dirt and shit, thus making them Not depressing and/or boring by default. Remember all of those serene grasslands you got to romp through? What about the purple iridescent green tinged metal of Covenant vessels? I'm confident that there will be plenty of room for color.

Jabberwock King:

crimson sickle2:

What the hell are you talking about? Have you seen the amount of colors in Bungie games that aren't brown and gray? One of the things I appreciate about the Halo series is that a lot of the environments are not covered in dirt and shit, thus making them Not depressing and/or boring by default. Remember all of those serene grasslands you got to romp through? What about the purple iridescent green tinged metal of Covenant vessels? I'm confident that there will be plenty of room for color.

Actually I don't, I only played Halo 1's campaign and only a few scarce instances of playing Halo 2 at a friends house. I remember it was decently colored in the very first section, then I had to go into a tunnel, somehow got onto an awesome Covenant ship, then another tunnel, then a winter stage, down a tunnel, maybe a grey swamp, Flood, human ship. The Covenant forces were all colored and designed well, based on a colorful arrange of colors and a curve as the focal point of design. However, I can't think of a gorgeous moment from the times I've played or seen that lasted very long. They always use a decent amount of color, but there isn't much contrast and instead of shading it seems to of shifted from very dull coloring to too much bloom. If they found a good level in ODST then I stand corrected.

Boy, I hope the game looks that cool.

I mean, I hope it plays good too, but Bungie specializes in games looking good, and I can respect that from a single developer. It wouldn't work if everyone did it, but one dev making games that look really good as a goal is acceptable.

FelixG:

Quoting you to make sure ya dont miss Korten's post! ^.^

Crisis averted then, cheers ^_^

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook