Nintendo President Apologizes for Wii U Launch Issues

Pages PREV 1 2

Shoggoth2588:

Arcadian Legend:

Shoggoth2588:

Why would you do such a stupid thing?! Does he also shake his 360 when a game is taking too long to load?

I believe this was actually a hardware fault where the Wii U has an auto-turn off after a long period of being idle. Unfortunately, this also happens during updates apparently.

The auto-off thing is a potential problem but you do have the option to turn that off during or, after initial set-up. Even if you don't turn it off, all you have to do is remember to nudge a joystick once every few minutes to re-set the 60 minute countdown. The way Tim presented it up there suggested that LA Times editor just up and unplugged his console while impatiently awaiting the update to complete.

He's stated he believed the system had crashed, because the progress bar hadn't been moving, during the download.

Probably also worth stating, that since Nintendo didn't throw the patch up early for reporters, reviewers were running dangerously close to their deadlines when this patch got shoved through.

The console also bricks if power is interrupted due to events beyond the user's control... IE a power outage, or if the internet connection is interrupted for any reason... sort of like what Comcast loves doing to me randomly... so... yeah, I'll be staying the hell away from this.

Eternal_Lament:
Regardless, I would imagine the more angry consumer isn't the one who downloads the patch, but rather the one who downloads the patch with the 8GB version and then releases they have almost no room left to play or download much.

I assume the patch actually overwrites the firmware chip rather than placing anything in internal storage. I mean, there have been a million OS updates on the Xbox 360 over the years, which I'm pretty sure have all been mandatory unless you keep it disconnected from the Internet entirely. And that system only has 4GB on the current base model... and none on the original (no idea how the heck that works; do you have to store your save files on a USB thumb drive?)

Steve the Pocket:

Eternal_Lament:
Regardless, I would imagine the more angry consumer isn't the one who downloads the patch, but rather the one who downloads the patch with the 8GB version and then releases they have almost no room left to play or download much.

I assume the patch actually overwrites the firmware chip rather than placing anything in internal storage. I mean, there have been a million OS updates on the Xbox 360 over the years, which I'm pretty sure have all been mandatory unless you keep it disconnected from the Internet entirely. And that system only has 4GB on the current base model... and none on the original (no idea how the heck that works; do you have to store your save files on a USB thumb drive?)

I'm not sure about that, I've heard from forums that the 5GB actually takes up space rather than replace files, although it could as easily be false. Even still though, that really isn't the most problematic thing about this update. Also in regards to the 360...what base model do you mean? You mean the original? Simple answer is you don't, rather you need to purchase a hard drive (unless we're talking about the new models, in which the hard drives are already part of the whole box)

Eternal_Lament:
Also in regards to the 360...what base model do you mean? You mean the original? Simple answer is you don't, rather you need to purchase a hard drive (unless we're talking about the new models, in which the hard drives are already part of the whole box)

So, wait, you mean they literally sold an incomplete machine at launch? That's like selling it without any controllers, or without a disc drive. Who the hell plays games without being able to save anything?

Steve the Pocket:

Eternal_Lament:
Also in regards to the 360...what base model do you mean? You mean the original? Simple answer is you don't, rather you need to purchase a hard drive (unless we're talking about the new models, in which the hard drives are already part of the whole box)

So, wait, you mean they literally sold an incomplete machine at launch? That's like selling it without any controllers, or without a disc drive. Who the hell plays games without being able to save anything?

The deal with the original 360 is that there was the standard version (which did come with an external hard drive) and the core version (which didn't come with an external hard drive, I think it had like 500 MB of flash memory) at launch. The idea was that you'd save money on the core version and with that money buy a hard drive that was relative to your gaming habits...it didn't take off well if I remember correctly. After that, most bundled 360's came with something like a 120 GB external hard drive as a minimum, and again the new models include integrated hard drives in the box.

He apologizes...and that's it! No fixing it or anything! He's just sorry!

I still think their mistake was trying to jump gun and be the first new gen. system. The WiiU isn't really that innovative and, as we can see, it could be better.

It's like a little kid who runs a second before the countdown ends in order to try and beat the older kids but ends up tripping as soon as he sets off and the other kids can only either feel bad for him or laugh.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Derp moment.

For whatever reason, I meant to type Windwaker, typed Twilight Princess instead, and didn't notice. Prolly because I was also thinking of Galaxy, another Wii game.

Top be fair, all three games (WW, TP, SS) got a lot of critical praise when they came out. While Metacritic should always be taken with a pinch of salt, all three scored in the nineties according to aggrevated reviews. That ain't exactly a middle-of-the-road reaction there.

Wind Waker is SO GOOD!

That's one where most folks around my place agree, they all put aLTTP at the top, but Wind Waker is in the top few for sure.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here