Creator of Brink Blows Up British in Dirty Bomb

Creator of Brink Blows Up British in Dirty Bomb

See London go straight to hell in this video trailer for Splash Damage's latest shooter.

Splash Damage, maker of Brink, Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, has gone to London for its latest PC multiplayer shooter, Dirty Bomb. Lots of shooting and explosions await the survivors of whatever disaster - presumably terrorist-related - totaled the city, as this action-heavy video reveals.

There's not much to go on yet. The game has a website and you can reserve your name should you so wish. Gameplay and plot details are few and far between, but PC gamers can rejoice, as this shooter is aimed squarely at them. There's no release date as yet.

Certainly the setting looks a lot like the London I remember, which is hardly a surprise, since Splash Damage is a London-based studio. The Gherkin seems to have relocated south of the Thames, but no doubt we can blame the bomb for that.

Source: Splash Damage

So, somewhat like a prequel to Brink then? I thought the game was ok, though marred with tons of bugs. I wish there was more of an actual single player campagn with free running in open areas.

Also, anyone else get the feel of a Dead Island trailer in the very beginning? Sorta a tragic scene with a slow moving camera? I was half expecting everything to start going in reverse.

I thought id Software made Doom 3....that's all I have to say.

Karloff:

Splash Damage, maker of Brink, Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, has gone to London for its latest PC multiplayer shooter, Dirty Bomb.

"Maker of Doom 3"?

Really?

So now being outsourced some "additional multiplayer design" is all it takes to be credited "Maker" of a game?

NOPE!

Not going to fall for it again, Brink was the biggest piece of shit that I ever bought. Even if it was priced at 5$ it would still be too much to ask for a game that doesnt let you play online with more then 3 players filling the rest with moronic bots that will kill you with one shot from across the map if you dare to shoot at them. Broken visuals and broken gameplay. Their marketing departement was amazing though, they honestly made me think that the game was going to be good

Karloff:
The Gherkin seems to have relocated south of the Thames, but no doubt we can blame the bomb for that.

So you're saying now that everything's in a pickle, the Ghrekin could have used some polishing?

Hah, since brink was such a piece of shit, why should I trust this developper? This could be their last game. No way it turns a profit. I feel bad for the employees that work there. They probably think their game is good :(

dragongit:
So, somewhat like a prequel to Brink then? I thought the game was ok, though marred with tons of bugs. I wish there was more of an actual single player campagn with free running in open areas.

Also, anyone else get the feel of a Dead Island trailer in the very beginning? Sorta a tragic scene with a slow moving camera? I was half expecting everything to start going in reverse.

I loved the aesthetic to Brink, but I wasn't much of a fan of the lack of an actual "World" it seemed, story was horrific, characters were boring, very little customization, shooting just felt off, horribly online play, bad AI.

It was all in all a terrible game. I just hope they learned from their mistakes.

Another one set in London! ZombieU is set in London - really the UK is NOT represented by London, it would be nice if developers looked at other areas in the UK. I mean, that new Brad Pitt zombie movie was filmed in Glasgow, part of Prometheus was filmed in Skye. The UK is a big place, it would be nice if game designers stopped treating gamers as if they were fricken tourists. Ohhh da gerkin, ohh da london eye, ohh da soldier dude with big hat. What next, Prince Phillip as a fricken Zombie... actually that would be pretty cool (assuming anyone noticed).

Capitano Segnaposto:

dragongit:

I loved the aesthetic to Brink, but I wasn't much of a fan of the lack of an actual "World" it seemed, story was horrific, characters were boring, very little customization, shooting just felt off, horribly online play, bad AI.

It was all in all a terrible game. I just hope they learned from their mistakes.

While I enjoyed Brink, I do agree with you. Once the glamour faded, it really was a rather shitty game. I was hoping they would try a sequal, just so they can take what they learned worked (or to be percise, Didnt work... at all) and try to make a superior game.

Really, the concept of Brink was actually pretty cool, it was just horrible execution.

Karloff:

Certainly the setting looks a lot like the London I remember, which is hardly a surprise, since Splash Damage is a London-based studio. The Gherkin seems to have relocated south of the Thames, but no doubt we can blame the bomb for that.

Thats the view north out of London Bridge railway station Borough high street exit. Putting the Gherkin north of the river. Irl its further away than that.

surg3n:
The UK is a big place, it would be nice if game designers stopped treating gamers as if they were fricken tourists.

You raise an excellent point (in fact I'd compare it to the obsession with blowing up New York) but then you said the UK is a big place and I laughed a little bit. Yes UK, your tiny little island is indeed a big place, who's a big boy now? You're a big boy, UK!

(None of this was actually serious, just fooling around. But being Canadian it's just funny when we could fit your whole country into one of our provinces. Balances out that you have a vastly more interesting history.)

Well the game looks dirty and looks like it is going to bomb so i guess the name fits.

I got burned on Brink so probably going to pass. Especially considering they took everything from Brink and looks like they threw it into a new game and are calling it by a different name.

Dear god even those who blatantly copy CoD get more distinct then this.
How about you drop this shit and do a proper Brink with the story we all wanted.

Blind Sight:

surg3n:
The UK is a big place, it would be nice if game designers stopped treating gamers as if they were fricken tourists.

You raise an excellent point (in fact I'd compare it to the obsession with blowing up New York) but then you said the UK is a big place and I laughed a little bit. Yes UK, your tiny little island is indeed a big place, who's a big boy now? You're a big boy, UK!

(None of this was actually serious, just fooling around. But being Canadian it's just funny when we could fit your whole country into one of our provinces. Balances out that you have a vastly more interesting history.)

Yes the UK is roughly 20 times smaller than Canadialand but it almost has double the population. It's big but there's nothing IN it... apart from beautiful scenery but who cares about that amirite?

OT: I'm just wondering if the Daily Mail will try and claim that this game is making us simulate the 7/7 bombings like they did with COD

Yup, burned by Brink like so many others.

I can definitely see why they didn't take credit for that in the trailer.

Although I did think the double red lines under the dead body was a nice touch; I hope they did that on purpose.

Yay, another gritty, semi-futuristic FPS Shooter involving terrorism and presumably starring an uninteresting rough-voiced Caucasian guy with less personality than a cheesecake!

Sorry splash damage, Enemy Territory was an amazing muliplayer game but you've tried twice now to recapture that lightning in your bottle. Just face the facts that you aren't going to catch it again. Granted I won't buy your game because Brink was just so bad, but if you work with id tech again and release an unoptimized piece of garbage, I hope your company sinks.

Mr.Tea:

Karloff:

Splash Damage, maker of Brink, Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, has gone to London for its latest PC multiplayer shooter, Dirty Bomb.

"Maker of Doom 3"?

Really?

So now being outsourced some "additional multiplayer design" is all it takes to be credited "Maker" of a game?

And also, "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"?

Really?

I'm sure Raven will have something to say about that.

Rednog:
Granted I won't buy your game because Brink was just so bad, but if you work with id tech again and release an unoptimized piece of garbage, I hope your company sinks.

You hope people go unemployed in a country where unemployment is already a big issue?

Anyways Splash Damage ditched IDtech after Brink (BTW I should point out that Bethesda was a huge reason for Brinks bugs and rushed nature).

Now SD is using Unreal and is acting away from Bethesda, I think this might turn out okay.

See London go straight to hell....

hell, yeah >:)

...Splash Damage, maker of Brink, Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

hell, no! everyone but not the makers of brink

DiamanteGeeza:

Mr.Tea:

Karloff:

"Maker of Doom 3"?

Really?

And also, "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"?

Really?

I'm sure Raven will have something to say about that.

Id made the single player for RTCW. Nerve and Splash Damage made the multiplayer. Splash Damage also made the truly excellent Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory Quake Wars. Brink really was their only weak point up untill now. With that said, the F2P market is hard to break into currently, with games as massive as World of Tanks and Team Fortress 2. The dedicated shooter F2P games will also have to compete with games with a very strong following already (Suravrium) and their older counterparts ( Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and Tremulous).
Now if they went for a Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2 made in ID Tech 5 or some other awesome new engine and made it even better than the original, that would be awesome.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here