Critic Names Star Wars Prequel as World's Best Modern Art

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Bhaalspawn:
The prequels are not some kind of travesty that you think they are. Quit being melodramatic and get a life.

There's only one person throwing melodrama around in this thread and being openly insulting to others, and it isn't the "artistically impaired Original Trilogy brats". Take a long look in the mirror.

And the video I posted was to the above insult, in that a Star Wars fan who prefers the original trilogy, put out a thoughtful piece that shows he understands the artistic and storytelling process. Sorry that you're so blinded by hatred of those who dislike the prequels and filled with blind nostalgia for those same movies that you couldn't see that.

Either way, the prequels are among the worst movies I've seen since 1990. Deal with it.

And to your video which I admit I skimmed as it was little on substance and a lot on whiny nostalgic excuses, Star Wars fans would have enjoyed a prequel that was a well-made, well told, well directed, well acted story. Instead we got an amazingly cold fish romance, poor pacing, awful characterization, awful acting (from some good actors), poor story, an over-long pod race (I kept wanting that pointless race to end and they spent almost 30 minutes on it), Jar Jar Binks (who needed subtitles). These are all symptoms to the true problem - Lucas couldn't direct his way out of a hat.

As far as your comment about villains' origin and the terrible excuse that they don't start off bad ass so lay off Hayden Christensen's shitty performance - I counter with this character brilliantly portrayed by Toshiyuki Morikawa.

Everyone should go to the linked news article about this woman. After everyone has read it, we must all agree to never speak of her again.

Bhaalspawn:
Once again, I will reiterate.

There is a heiarchy of credibility in regards to film critique. Orginal Trilogy Star Wars brats are at the VERY BOTTOM OF THAT THIS, with Plinkett, and RLM coming just above them.

That being said, OH MY GOD! Someone expressed something other than blind idiotic hatred toward Revenge of the Sith! They clearly must be a troll! I guess that makes me and everyone who grew up in my age bracket a fucking troll then.

At this point, Original Trilogy brats can go piss in the wind as far as I'm concerned. Get over it. The prequels are not some kind of travesty that you think they are. Quit being melodramatic and get a life.

PS: MovieBob is a god among men and don't you forget it.

You're the one being melodramatic here, flipping out at anyone who disagrees with you and this woman (who, again, has made an entire livelihood out of being an obvious troll).

I should note that I never actually gave my own assessment of the prequels. I merely stated that anyone trying to claim that the prequels are cinematic masterpieces and the best films in the last 50 years is obviously grasping for relevance and attention. Never mind calling them the best films of the last few decades, they aren't even the best films of their respective release years.

You want my personal take? I personally don't think they're awful movies (at least not as bad as is often claimed), but are certainly quite bad in terms of being Star Wars writing material. And I'm like that with a lot of things. For example, I know many people love the Daniel Craig Bond movies, and while I can agree that they are decent action films, I consider them to be by far the worst of the Bond movies because they effectively and purposely make a concerted effort to violate the norm of the original series and almost seem to revel in that fact. The prequels aren't quite as bad in my opinion as the Craig Bonds, or say, Indiana Jones and the Alien Invasion, but I certainly don't think they're worthy successors to the original films, which told an enjoyable (albeit generic) fantasy tale about a young boy who ends up saving his father from his own hatred and self-destruction.

They definitely drop the ball in terms of establishing the history of the father and how he came to be, and the actors do a truly great job of making what should be a very easily-sympathized-with character into a whiny, petulant brat who I can't bring myself to like or even to feel sorry for. And I'm practically a bleeding heart for sob stories, so managing to get on my last nerve with a character history like that is pretty darn impressive.

If you want to claim that the prequels are perfect masterpieces, okay, you're welcome to your opinion and I will stick to mine. Thing is, unlike yourself, I don't need someone else's approval to validate my opinion for me, I'm fine being the only person who thinks as I do. So if this woman, who is obviously trying to grab headlines by making a statement that she probably doesn't actually agree with, makes you validated as a human being, then I won't judge. I will recommend that you take your own advice and get a life, though.

[deleted]

Double post, sorry!

Veylon:
I agree with the art critic that the long final lightsaber duel represents modern filmmaking. It's a hyper-choreographed, inconsequential CGI-fest interspersed with a handful of awful and bizarre one-liners standing in for dialogue. I'll admit that it's technically impressive and, no doubt, many an artist worked many a man-hour on it, but it's devoid of all meaning and purpose.

THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

You know filmmaking's in a bad state when I have to name Prometheus as my favorite film of the year because, despite being so filled with frustratingly obvious and basic storytelling errors, it was one of the only movies I could derive some actual meaning or emotional resonance from. (Granted, I have missed quite a few big and/or well-received films, most notably Skyfall.)

Man, "Modern Art" isn't worth much these days, huh?

GodzillaGuy92:
You know the filmmaking's in a bad state when I have to name Prometheus as my favorite film of the year because, despite being so filled with frustratingly obvious and basic storytelling errors, it was one of the only movies I could derive some actual meaning or emotional resonance from. (Granted, I have missed quite a few big and/or well-received films, most notably Skyfall.)

Skyfall wasn't bad, but I found Wreck-It Ralph, Argo, and Lincoln to be better. I found this year to actually be really good in movies. Heck, Avengers came out this year, and it seems forever ago in movie-time.

I have to quote a friend of mine (who isn't an Escapist) here:

The reasoning is so ironic. "It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise." Replace "art world" with "George Lucas" and you have the beginnings of what went wrong with the trilogy. Also she says the art world is derivative. Which I believe is the definition of a trilogy based on a trilogy.

How very astute!

No, no, it's obviously Green Latern, but in slow motion.

Yeah....no. it wasn't as bad as people make it look like but it wasn't awesome. Most of the main cast is to blame, especially Anakin. I know a Jedi is supposed to be tranquil and calm and collected but...Anakin's performance was just bad. And I'll even dare say so was Padme's. I still like the movie and the plot, though.

But why are we even listening to what that woman says? Her opinion doesn't overthrow the majority.

Reminds me of this:

Bhaalspawn:

Fanghawk:
Critic Names Star Wars Prequel as World's Best Modern Art

Thank you Camille Padliga. It only took 7 years for a respected critic to say the very thing I've been saying since 2005, but at finally we have someone with some actual sense here.

"Respected critic"? Paglia? Ahahahahahahaha! Oh god, sorry, I'm wiping tears off my face here.

I've been reading her antics since the early '90s, and she's always been a professional troll. A troll with a wide vocabulary ("chthonic"! Everything is chthonic!), but a troll nonetheless. My first reaction to this is "who thinks Paglia is still relevant?"

Taking the post seriously, I can't really decide what would be one of the greatest works of art in modern day. I'll have to think about that.

EDIT: might as well go with my current favorite game, Rayman Origins. Artistic statement: video games are fun so chill and have a waffle. There are other choices each deserving of the position, but this was the most light-hearted one I could think of.

So, from what I can gather, this person is paid to be a real-life troll. Where do I get that job?

Well, the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin is pretty fucking cool. So yeah, why the fuck not?

s69-5:

The reasoning is so ironic. "It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise." Replace "art world" with "George Lucas" and you have the beginnings of what went wrong with the trilogy. Also she says the art world is derivative. Which I believe is the definition of a trilogy based on a trilogy.

How very astute!

You can't be derivative of yourself, unless we're going to claim Empire and Jedi are derivative of A New Hope because it was the first film.

I'm sort of opposed to the idea of things like the Oscars, trying to hold one work on a pedestal at the expense of short selling other works in order to do so, as if to prevent the work from being diminished "There can be Only One!"

There are many great works of art, why does one have to "win", especially when dealing with a field so malleable as the human heart. Your favorite film, or game, or book could change in a matter of months or even days. Even if you do consider a single work to be "the best", it's not as though you never partake in anything else

Even if Red Dead: Redemption is your favorite game of all time by miles and miles, sometimes you just feel like playing something else

In the interest of example...

That's just a list off the top of my head and it's still growing

Why would we ever want to pretend there is one master work of art when there are so many?

Woodsey:
Well, the fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin is pretty fucking cool. So yeah, why the fuck not?

s69-5:

How very astute!

You can't be derivative of yourself, unless we're going to claim Empire and Jedi are derivative of A New Hope because it was the first film.

But even then, Star Wars as a whole is highly derivative of things like westerns, space operas (Obviously), Buddhism, The Hero With a Thousand Faces, and so on.

IMHO most great works are derivative, it's part of what makes them meaningful. And all works are derivative of real life.

sumanoskae:

Woodsey:

s69-5:

How very astute!

But even then, Star Wars as a whole is highly derivative of things like westerns, space operas (Obviously), Buddhism, The Hero With a Thousand Faces, and so on.

IMHO most great works are derivative, it's part of what makes them meaningful. And all works are derivative of real life.

Right, not what he was saying though. And 'derivative' in a creative context has mostly negative connotations.

Woodsey:

sumanoskae:

Woodsey:

Right, not what he was saying though. And 'derivative' in a creative context has mostly negative connotations.

I thought he was saying that claiming that the art world had become derivative and implying that Star Wars is not was ironic because Star Wars is derivative, and I was saying that even if you don't consider sequels by definition to be derivative, that Star Wars is still derivative.

"Derivative" is often used synonymously with "Cliche", this is not the case. To derive simply means to imitate or expand upon something, a cliche means that something is played out or overused, to the point of being obvious. Another common problem is that ideas can seem more trite than they really are if misused, i.e; imitating the basic structure of an idea without understanding it's purpose. Such things make the idea seem obvious, as it stands out because it's out of place, as well as bland and uninteresting since it doesn't serve any purpose.

Originality is not necessarily a good thing, it just means something that hasn't been done before, not that it's being done well or even creatively, it could just as easily be coincidence or ignorance of form that produces such a result.

And again, all stories are based on real life, which is precisely what makes them potent.

sumanoskae:

Woodsey:

sumanoskae:

I thought he was saying that claiming that the art world had become derivative and implying that Star Wars is not was ironic because Star Wars is derivative, and I was saying that even if you don't consider sequels by definition to be derivative, that Star Wars is still derivative.

"Derivative" is often used synonymously with "Cliche", this is not the case. To derive simply means to imitate or expand upon something, a cliche means that something is played out or overused, to the point of being obvious. Another common problem is that ideas can seem more trite than they really are if misused, i.e; imitating the basic structure of an idea without understanding it's purpose. Such things make the idea seem obvious, as it stands out because it's out of place, as well as bland and uninteresting since it doesn't serve any purpose.

Originality is not necessarily a good thing, it just means something that hasn't been done before, not that it's being done well or even creatively, it could just as easily be coincidence or ignorance of form that produces such a result.

And again, all stories are based on real life, which is precisely what makes them potent.

Yes, and the specific instance of derivativeness that he was commenting on was the fact that it was a trilogy based on a trilogy.

And yeah, believe it or not, I know what those words mean. My point was that, like it or not, most people think of the word derivative in a negative light.

I wouldn't say its the best modern art in the past 30 years, but it's not exactly the worst either.

Personally i love the prequels, the Medi-chlorian thing is a little silly but i can look past it, and i must be a big child if i laugh at Jar Jar...(yes you read that right, i think he is quite funny....*Flame Shield Activate*)

Despite it's hate, Attack Of The Clones is my favourite followed closely by Empire Strikes back and Revenge of the Sith. Anakins rise to the dark side i thought was done quite well, could of been done better, but it wasn't bad as many people are making it out to be.

Star Wars as a whole, i could see being the best modern art (the battles, the CGI, etc), but not just one of the films.

This has to be a joke. Not only were the prequels BAD as Star Wars movies, but they were bad movies to begin with. And to talk about "modern art" in this circumstances is beyond belief.
There have been many art movies in the last 30 years, although THE art movie that truly began it all was Koyaanisqatsi which is actually 30 years old. Don't fret tho, we did have some awesome ones in the 90's too, 5'th Element, Fight Club, Trainspotting. Wanna talk modern? See the japanese movie Blue Spring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrqbFWHiElY). And don't get me started on animes (the good ones) such as Mindgame, Cowboy Beebop or Ghost in the Shell.
Geez... I need a cold shower.

...Plinkett would like a word with you in his basement.

s69-5:
Awful acting (from some good actors)

I tend to give the actors a pass 'cos the material they had to work with sucked so hard. For a start, everything was green scene and reacting convincingly to nothingness is pretty damn difficult. Then you factor in the fact that the writing was crap so all their lines were the kinds of things emotionless robots or mildly mentally ill people might say. And then you realise that they're always directed to deliver every line either:
a) standing still
b) sat still
b) slooowly walking along

So they come across as being even more lifeless.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here