Battlefront III Died Just Inches From the Finish Line

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Battlefront III Died Just Inches From the Finish Line

The third Battlefront title was nearly complete when it fell on its own lightsaber.

Star Wars: Battlefront III will never see the light of day, and that fact alone is enough to make many gamers a bit sick to their stomach. But a recent interview by gamesTM with Steve Ellis, co-founder of the game's developer Free Radical Design, gives the story of Battlefront III an even more tragic twist. Along with revealing a few tantalizing gameplay tidbits about the canned title, Ellis notes that the game was "99% finished" when it met its untimely end.

"We had a 99% finished game that just needed bug fixing for release," Ellis explains. "It should have been our most successful game, but it was cancelled for financial reasons."

Earlier this year a lengthy gameplay video was leaked, showing roughly an hour of the game. At the time, it was clear that the project was rather far along in its development, but the revelation that the game made it to the final bug-crushing phase before being cancelled is downright brutal. That video has since been pulled from nearly all corners of the web due to a copyright claim by Lucasfilm.

Offering a bit of background into the nuances of the game's cancellation, Free Radical Design's Project Manger, Martin Wakeley notes "As a member of staff I could see our relationship with LucasArts becoming more distant and feared the worse. They had a change of management and a change of direction. I wasn't party to all the ins and outs but we had both our games signed with them, and it became apparent we needed to look for other projects fast."

But hey, at least we got Star Wars Kinect, right? Right!?

Source: NowGamer

They should have put what they had up on torrents

They were getting canned anyway.

Though Disney, do the right thing, boot this back up!

You should link back to that old article you guys ran about what happened between LucasArts and the devs. It was some really messy stuff. LucasArts is a bunch of heartless bastards.

Lucasarts has new management yet again, and this time Disney is actually competent.
Perhaps we'll see Battlefront 3 v2 and Jedi Knight 3 and KotOR 3 (not infected by EA).

That is crushing. I was never a massive fan of Battlefront seeing as I couldn't play online at the time. But knowing a game was 99% finished before being axed is a massive shame. All that work and money for nothing.

Why would you taunt us like this!? This is just tear inducing.

So... what actually happened to get it cancelled?

It's one thing to bin a prospective project, but you would think that the publisher, having already spent the money to get the thing made, would want to get it on shelves rather than mothball it.

And in doing so Lucasarts inadvertently killed Timesplitters 4.

Fuck you, Lucasarts. Fuck you until the end of fucking time.

Absolutionis:
Jedi Knight 3

Wasn't there a Jedi Knight 3? Jedi Academy?
Or is this just another thing that's existence fans refuse to acknowledge?

Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhh

My hate for LucasArts just got bigger. This is a game I would preorder the limited edition as soon as it would be possible.

You invest time, planning and resources into a game that's practically on the verge of release then you can it and get absolutely nothing out of it. Wtf?

Even though the developer went bust, it would've been far more worth it to go that extra mile and outsource it for that final stage.

I loved Battlefront, but wasn't such a fan of II. Would have been nice to give this a try though.

They got Sedulba'd
Starkiller was rightly named.

Zhukov:
So... what actually happened to get it cancelled?

The short version is that going gold, production, release and marketing would have required a significant amount of money from LucasArts, money that they had yet to invest.

LucasArts evidently decided they wanted to keep the money more than they wanted to release Battlefront 3 (not entirely a stupid decision, number 2 hadn't been a particular success). To achieve that they abused the clauses in their contract with Free Radical regarding development milestones.
Milestones are a pretty nebulous concept, LucasArts simply defined them as having not been met, giving them an opportunity to cut their contract with Free Radical and also withhold money owed. Which they did, regardless of what Free Radical had actually delivered. As various things have shown Free Radical had delivered a more or less finished game, but sadly that game was no longer part of 'the plan' for new LucasArts, so they buried it.

In theory Free Radical could have sued, but that was well beyond their means and still would have resulted in no Battlefront. This turn of events is far, far more common than it should be.

I suspect this continues to be a source of embarrassment for the current LucArts bigwigs, given their usually violent reaction whenever anything to do Battlefront 3 surfaces.

Captcha: fair and square, oh my.

damn, they are torturing fans and pointing fingers to lucasarts like a abuse victim.

yeah, we got it. lucasarts are the bad guys.

just take what you had/have, reskin it under a "new" ip and get it out with crowdfunding.

VeryOddGamer:

Absolutionis:
Jedi Knight 3

Wasn't there a Jedi Knight 3? Jedi Academy?
Or is this just another thing that's existence fans refuse to acknowledge?

Academy was fine and great, but it was more of the same of Jedi Outcast except with a great proto-Battlefront multiplayer mode. It's always been treated as pretty much a standalone 'expansion' equivalent similar to how Assassin's Creed Chronicles/Brotherhood/Revelations is to the main series.

Either way, another Jedi Knight game would be greatly welcome so long as it isn't Force Unleashed.

This gives me a sad D:

I was looking forward to this for such a long time, and to hear it got cancelled shortly before launch is depressing.

Well, when in doubt, Blame Lucasarts... I guess

This makes the whole thing sting a little bit more, for the simple fact that it was very much almost done...

Man, I loved BFII... this would have been amazing.

I hate everything with all my hate

Well I guess all we can do is pray to Mickey, the Patron Saint of Disney, and hope he takes pity on us and makes Battlefront 3 a reality.

Oh it's just cruel to tell us that D:

So close and yet so far.

I hate these stories about SW:BF3, every time we find out they were closer to finish than we had previously believed, next time it's gonna be "They were in stores ready to be released, but then we were told to burn them"

Well, at least now with Lucasarts under Disney's rather expansive heel there could be a chance of it being revived.

CardinalPiggles:
That is crushing. I was never a massive fan of Battlefront seeing as I couldn't play online at the time. But knowing a game was 99% finished before being axed is a massive shame. All that work and money for nothing.

You should pick up Battlefront 2, you can get it for 10 bucks nowadays, and the single player is actually quite fun.... As is the split-screen multiplayer, the online game was the worst part IMO.

So, I know they said financial troubles were the cause, but if the game was 99% done, they couldn't get a loan to say open an extra month or so to kick it out the door and recoup losses, I mean the battlefront name was (and still is) huge

It sounds more like LucasArts wanted the thing canned and forced the shutdown... But why?

rhizhim:
damn, they are torturing fans and pointing fingers to lucasarts like a abuse victim.

yeah, we got it. lucasarts are the bad guys.

just take what you had/have, reskin it under a "new" ip and get it out with crowdfunding.

The almost certainly can't. Lucas/Disney would sue them out of existence for infringing on their IP (the code itself).

I'm not sure if I wanted to know this information.

I was happier knowing that there was a game planned that never saw the light of day, now that I know this I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Because the fact that Battlefront III didn't get released wasn't painful enough?

I miss Free Radical :(

Why. Why would you post this? Just why? Why spread the horror even further than it already has been? Damn you all to hell you infernal bastards! D:
I'm sorry; that was inappropriate. It just hurts so much. :( But hey, we've always got some pointless optimism that someone might resurrect it because it was so close to being finished right? RIGHT!?!?

I guess Battlefront III was the sequel we deserved, but not the one we need right now.

This is just wrongggggggggg.

Someone has to have all the data for the game, Disney should hop back up on it and release it!

At least thats what I tell myself.

gigastar:
Well, at least now with Lucasarts under Disney's rather expansive heel there could be a chance of it being revived.

This. When I think about it, I find it incredibly joyous that Disney has bought everything Star Wars related. I will gladly take the crappy Disney Channel cartoons if it means I get Battlefront 3, and perhaps even some proper Star Wars movies

This is somewhat old news but is never the less sad to hear again. I have so many fond memories of BFII, and BFIII was looking incredible. The full story on how Free Radical got screwed over by LucasArts is a sad one, and unfortunately, all too common where LucasArts is concerned.

Will you please stop trying to make us cry over spilled milk?! We know and we're pissed about it, but what can we do!

thethird0611:
Someone has to have all the data for the game.

There's an internal beta out there somewhere. A playthrough online (I forget where I saw) showed off an hour of footage from the beta. It was incredible - you could seamlessly exit a capital ship and fly down to a planet before getting out and taking part in a ground war.

Really, this is just par for the course for Lucasarts. After I heard them can most of TFU2's dev team, I knew it was the beginning of the end for them. They won't recover until the entire management side is purged.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here