Hideo Kojima Wants Non-Metal Gear Recognition

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hideo Kojima Wants Non-Metal Gear Recognition

Metal Gear's creator believes he has more to offer than one series.

Love it or hate it, the Metal Gear series is one of the most recognizable franchises in gaming, largely thanks to its distinctive creator. Hideo Kojima has made a career for himself spinning the many yarns of Solid Snake and those who inhabit his world of espionage, but the Metal Gear mastermind insists that he has more to offer the gaming world. While he's very proud of the work he's done on the series and has big plans for its next few games, he'd like to work on new IPs by using Metal Gear as a testing ground.

"I've always said that I want to work on original properties, but Metal Gear offers plenty of benefits," says Kojima. "In the next game, I'm introducing concepts intended for entirely new intellectual properties using the Metal Gear brand." Kojima hasn't specified exactly what he might like to do in a new IP, but cited Grand Theft Auto III as a major influence. The game came out the same year as Metal Gear Solid 2, and provided a stark contrast in terms of game design. "The area a player could explore [in GTAIII] was so vast that not even the game designer could predict all possible outcomes. That title definitely opened my eyes."

Even though his flagship series can be a playground for new ideas, Kojima still hopes to migrate away from Metal Gear eventually. "I haven't really shown the world what else I might be capable of yet," he claims. "This may sound pretentious, but I don't like being thought of as 'the Metal Gear guy.' There's a lot more I can do." Kojima hopes that in the future, people will attach significance to a game that carries his name, rather than a game "from the creator of Metal Gear."

Kojima is definitely a creative man, and while the Metal Gear series has seen its ups and downs, each title has tried something new. A new IP using all of the experimental mechanics from the Metal Gear series could be interesting, but if it's anything like Kojima's previous work, it's bound to attract both hardcore fans and outspoken detractors.

Source: EGM

well, then please work on one.

how can we recognise your skill outside of your flagship when you make most times games in and about your flagship?
1986: Yumetairiku Adventure
1986: Lost World
1987: Metal Gear
1988: Snatcher
1988: SD Snatcher (MSX; Planung, Script, Regisseur)
1990: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
1994: Policenauts (NEC PC-9821; Planung, Script, Regisseur)
1997: Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series #1 (PSX; Planung, Produzent, Regisseur)
1998: Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series #2 (PSX; Planung, Produzent)
1998: Metal Gear Solid
1999: Metal Gear Solid Integral
2000: Metal Gear Ghost Babel
2000: Metal Gear Solid
2001: Zone of the Enders (PS2; Produzent)
2002: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (
2003: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
2003: Boktai: The Sun Is in Your Hand (Game Boy Advance; Planung, Produzent)
2003: Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (PS2; Produzent)
2004: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
2004: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater )
2004: Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
2004: Metal Gear Ac!d
2005: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (
2006: Metal Gear Acid 2
2006: Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel
2007: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
2007: Lunar Knights (DS)
2008: Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
2008: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2008: Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel 2 2009: Metal Gear Solid Touch
2010: Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
2012: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
20?? Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
20?? Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

i only now Zone of the Enders vaguely.

so just do it. no one is going to make you suffer if you step outside your shell. (we will take care of the fanboys)

I'm pretty sure this is him politely admitting, in a roundabout way, that he's been trying to kill off Metal Gear for years. Can't say l blame him. MGS4 couldn't have been more 'This is the end ' if it tried. Personally, l think 5 is more than a little unnecessary.

While I adore the Metal Gear series and all its flaws, I admire Hideo for entirely different reasons. In a day and age where Studios and producers are too afraid to deviate from tried and tested formulas of popular franchises, Hideo has, more often then not, shown a willingness to mess with the established formula, even gutting it and rebuilding it from scratch as seen in MGS4.

When Kojimas name is mentioned in something it always gets my attention. If he was to announce a new IP and the complete abandonment of Metal Gear as a series, I would be onboard for that. As it is I'm content with the MG story, though I do want to get some closure after peace walker. Hoping he delivers in MGS: Zeros.

Otherwise, I would love to see a completely new IP from him.

As big of a Metal Gear nut as I am, I'd like to see Kojima do different games at this point. After Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes I don't know what else he could do. I'd like to see Z.O.E. or Policenauts get some attention. Or even an original IP.

Then make a sequel to Snatcher already! We've been waiting forever.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I'm pretty sure this is him politely admitting, in a roundabout way, that he's been trying to kill off Metal Gear for years. Can't say l blame him. MGS4 couldn't have been more 'This is the end ' if it tried. Personally, l think 5 is more than a little unnecessary.

True; I'm pretty sure he's actually said it directly that he's finished working on Metal Gear, but Konami keeps making him do more.

While I like robots/mechs in general, they don't sell a franchise for me alone. Zone of the Enders was a really fun (if short... 4 hour playtime or so on the first one) game, and handled flight controls really smoothly. And yes, I only originally played ZotE for the Metal Gear Solid demo that came with it. :)

Would be nice to see him try some more new things.

So Kojima wants to prove hes not a one trick pony?

The world is already watching, all he needs to do is what he wants.

You should probably stop making them then, Kojima.

I suppose you could always try telling a story, since apparently that ISN'T what you've been doing all this time :P

Well, at least Hideo Kojima is one of the few japanese developers with the balls to truly making something unique and... japanese.

JEBWrench:
Then make a sequel to Snatcher already! We've been waiting forever.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

True; I'm pretty sure he's actually said it directly that he's finished working on Metal Gear, but Konami keeps making him do more.

Actually, he wanted to stop after MGS 3, but saying that caused him to receive a lot of death threats, not to mention that Konami itself wasn't happy with his choice. So he did eventually give in and make MGS4...but that's the reason why everyone is dying/dead in 4. Because he wanted the series to definitively end there.

But with Rising and Ground Zeros coming up, I'd say that Kojima is probably bashing his head against a wall somewhere.

Edit: Before anyone brings it up, yes, I know that Rising isn't being developed by Kojima, but he is working on it in an advisory capacity. At least, he was the last I heard of it.

Dont worry guy, you are already known as a paranoid crazy person.

I also had a good laugh

. "In the next game, I'm introducing concepts intended for entirely new intellectual properties using the Metal Gear brand."

Says he wants to be known for something other than Metal Gear, then says he is trying new things inside the Metal Gear brand.

Surprise, anything new you try is still going to accrue to the Metal Gear brand if you put the Metal Gear name on it.

FelixG:

I also had a good laugh

. "In the next game, I'm introducing concepts intended for entirely new intellectual properties using the Metal Gear brand."

Says he wants to be known for something other than Metal Gear, then says he is trying new things inside the Metal Gear brand.

Surprise, anything new you try is still going to accrue to the Metal Gear brand if you put the Metal Gear name on it.

New IP's are risky and most publishers don't like putting out new IP's unless they know for sure that they'll sell well.

Kojima is probably using GZ and Rising to test the waters with some new ideas. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that whichever one does better is the path that he'll pursue with his next IP.

Kopikatsu:
Actually, he wanted to stop after MGS 3, but saying that caused him to receive a lot of death threats, not to mention that Konami itself wasn't happy with his choice. So he did eventually give in and make MGS4...but that's the reason why everyone is dying/dead in 4. Because he wanted the series to definitively end there.

I think, it's already tradition to say "this Metal Gear Solid is the last one" since 2...

But yes, if he wants to be known for something else, either make finally a new ZoE (which IS a known series. Never played it, tho) or maybe... I don't know... A Metroid game, where we play Samus stealthy with the Zero Suit (as they attempted in 'Zero Mission')? I mean, people are imagine that kind of game for quite a while, might be worth looking into.

Kopikatsu:

FelixG:

I also had a good laugh

New IP's are risky and most publishers don't like putting out new IP's unless they know for sure that they'll sell well.

Kojima is probably using GZ and Rising to test the waters with some new ideas. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that whichever one does better is the path that he'll pursue with his next IP.

One would think he could just go "Look, I made you a good deal of money already, gimme a lil to make something new."

He has the name and SHOULD have the clout to do it. And if Konami wont go for it he could ask around, I am sure there would be a few publishers who would gladly snatch him away from Konami to make whatever he wants.

Bindal:

Kopikatsu:

I think, it's already tradition to say "this Metal Gear Solid is the last one" since 2...

But yes, if he wants to be known for something else, either make finally a new ZoE (which IS a known series. Never played it, tho) or maybe... I don't know... A Metroid game, where we play Samus stealthy with the Zero Suit (as they attempted in 'Zero Mission')? I mean, people are imagine that kind of game for quite a while, might be worth looking into.

Stealth anything is pretty niche, even MGS. Biggest name stealth game recently? Dishonored. According to VGChartz, it only sold 1.44 million units across all platforms as of last week. For reference, Resident Evil 6 is at 3.3. BO2 is at 11.6~, but I'm sure that Black Friday shot that number up, so we'll see whenever they post the new stats for that.

I feel this is like George Lucas saying he wants to be known for something other than Star Wars. Sure, he did other stuff, but that title is going to stay with him long after he dies. Same thing with Kojima. I would also like to add my vote to, "Stop making Metal Gear Solid games" in the first place if you want to try something new. Hasn't he said in the past that he was done with them? Several different times?

Then for the love of god stop making them. They stopped being good after the second one.

Well get a new picture of yourself taken and used on the Escapist that isn't on that duck and then we'll talk.

rhizhim:

2001: Zone of the Enders (PS2; Produzent)

ZoE is my favourite project which had Kojima involved. But he was the producer there, which is entirely different from being the director, not sure how much of it can be actually attributed to him.

Also, i am quite sure he was closely involved with that Castlevania reboot, you might want to add it there.

I'm with Kojima on this. I have heard a hypothesis that MGS 2 was so bad because he actually wanted to work on another IP, but MGS 1 did so well that the company wanted him to make the sequel really badly. The result was that Kojima trolled his audience hard by packing his game full with weird design decisions (because he didn't really want to work on MGS at the moment), which simultaneously let him try new things. It's like making Shigeru Miyamoto drop everything else to work on the Halo series when a new sequel is coming up.

EDIT: Reading through the thread it seems I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Kopikatsu:

But with Rising and Ground Zeros coming up, I'd say that Kojima is probably bashing his head against a wall somewhere.

Edit: Before anyone brings it up, yes, I know that Rising isn't being developed by Kojima, but he is working on it in an advisory capacity. At least, he was the last I heard of it.

I vaguely recall him saying something about being done with them after MGS 2, but I could be mistaken.

gigastar:
So Kojima wants to prove hes not a one trick pony?

The world is already watching, all he needs to do is what he wants.

He already proved that. Just nobody bought the non Metal Gear games.

ADDENDUM:

Senare:
I'm with Kojima on this. I have heard a hypothesis that MGS 2 was so bad because he actually wanted to work on another IP, but MGS 1 did so well that the company wanted him to make the sequel really badly. The result was that Kojima trolled his audience hard by packing his game full with weird design decisions (because he didn't really want to work on MGS at the moment), which simultaneously let him try new things. It's like making Shigeru Miyamoto drop everything else to work on the Halo series when a new sequel is coming up.

Just out of curiosity, what decisions were actually bad design choices in MGS2? The controls were better, and true, a large bit of the game got cut for tech and time restraints. The only actual design choice that could be arguably poor would be the whole Raiden thing, and that is absolutely where Kojima wanted to take MGS. Raiden's his favourite character in the series.

Ah, it's good to see the old Kojima duck picture.

And surely you would think Kojima would have enough pull within Konami and everything that he would be able to make other games besides Metal Gear games?

rhizhim:

how can we recognise your skill outside of your flagship when you make most times games in and about your flagship?
SNIP

so just do it. no one is going to make you suffer if you step outside your shell. (we will take care of the fanboys)

beef_razor:
Then for the love of god stop making them. They stopped being good after the second one.

Casual Shinji:

He probably hasn't got any choice in the matter. Konami are ultimately the ones who own the franchise, and finance the developers. It's the same situation as with any other franchise: the developers have enough ideas for a dozen different original ideas, but the publisher just want another sequel to their hit game.

It doesn't help that Kojima's non-Metal Gear games haven't exactly sold all that well. I imagine shopping yourself out to other publishers becomes a lot harder when everything you've done that isn't Metal Gear had niche success at best.

Remake Policenauts and do your best on that Silent Hill game you're making cause that's all I ask.

Marshall Honorof:

"I've always said that I want to work on original properties, but Metal Gear offers plenty of benefits," says Kojima.

Like being able to make a huge amount of money off it.

It seems to me that Kojima wishes to reap the benefits of the MGS series without being attached to it.

Maybe, instead, he should actually try making other games. Throwing new ideas into a MGS game with some vague intents of introducing a "new IP" isn't that.

Nor is continuing to make new MGS games, though he's said he's claimed to be "done" after every game since MGS.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
He probably hasn't got any choice in the matter. Konami are ultimately the ones who own the franchise, and finance the developers. It's the same situation as with any other franchise: the developers have enough ideas for a dozen different original ideas, but the publisher just want another sequel to their hit game.

It doesn't help that Kojima's non-Metal Gear games haven't exactly sold all that well. I imagine shopping yourself out to other publishers becomes a lot harder when everything you've done that isn't Metal Gear had niche success at best.

He totally does. Has several alternatives:

- Go Kickstart. Just with his name he will get enough support to make a mid-small AAA game for sure.

- Ahh... just greenlight the project inside Konami. I don't know if you realize he is almost independant within the company, and he greenlighted stuff like Castlevania rebbot and ZoE almost singlehandedly. Read the Wiki entry about Kojima Productions to read quotes from him about having the power to do so.

He is one of the few devs that has ALL the choice about what to develop.

Edit: If he can't is probably due how japanese corporate culture works in regards of stagnation. IE, he can, but he won't due cultural limitations. That said the same corporate culture makes their companies stronger in some other regards.

Kopikatsu:

I know that's pretty much what's going on with Rising, and from the little info we know of GZ, it's probably what he's attempting with that too.

Kojima told CNN, "If this game becomes hugely successful and popular, then we might make it into a franchise."

Though Rising is interesting because it's largely developed by Platinum Games and not Konami. Although Kojima is producing it, and there's a few Kojima team members involved, a majority of the work is being done by Platinum, and Kojima doesn't seem to have much personal involvement in the development process. I wonder if Platinum could continue making MGR games without requiring Kojima's resources. It's not even him writing the game (Although the lead writer is a member of Kojima's team) and the game is still being considered part of the existing Metal Gear canon.

If that's the case, I bet Platinum could continue making MGR games without the involvement of Kojima. Which is good since it lets Platinum do what they do best, and Kojima could keep his focus on other things (Finally finishing MGS, and making new/going back to old IP's.) That is of course, if MGR is successful.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

rhizhim:

SNIP

beef_razor:

Casual Shinji:

Exactly. A question to all of you telling him to just go out and do what he wants, how many of you played Policenauts? Snatcher? Zone of the Enders? And do you really think that Kojima, tired of working on one franchise and wanting to experiment, wants to work on one of those old series? Or that Konami would let him do anything other than MGS? It is mostly all outside of his control. I honestly feel sad for the guy. If I had to keep working on a series I feel ended a decade ago I would do nothing but troll my audience and publisher until I got to do something else.

Tanakh:
He totally does. Has several alternatives:

- Go Kickstart. Just with his name he will get enough support to make a mid-small AAA game for sure.

Not really. Game development is ludicrously expensive. If you're trying to make an old-school RPG, or a small scale adventure game, or a niche space sim, it's a great avenue. If you're interested in making big, visually intensive, intricate games of the sort Kojima likes to make, however, Kickstarter really isn't all that viable.

And it's worth pointing out, Kickstarter only really works as a fundraiser for PC games. PC gaming doesn't have the same following in Japan. Most, if not all, the major focus on games there is based around consoles. Fundraising for that doesn't work in nearly the same way.

- Ahh... just greenlight the project inside Konami. I don't know if you realize he is almost independant within the company, and he greenlighted stuff like Castlevania rebbot and ZoE almost singlehandedly. Read the Wiki entry about Kojima Productions to read quotes from him about having the power to do so.

Are we reading the same quote here?

Hideo Kojima:

To elaborate a little bit more, I am now in a position within Konami as one of the members of the board, and it's true that I do have a responsibility, and also respect, within the company. However, when I say as a creator, "I want to create this new game", it's still the same as twenty years ago! People still ask, "will that sell, will that be good?" Nobody really understands whether it would be an instant hit or whatever. I'm not just talking about the top executives, but even the development staff! But that is my challenge, actually. That's what's interesting. They do not understand what they cannot see instantly, so they can't say "that's a great idea" straight away. That's my challenge, and my satisfaction when I present to them, saying I want to create this new thing. And if I get more 'boos' about it - if they say, "No! We don't know what you're talking about!" then this is actually the fun part.

That entire quote could be summed up as "I'm on the board at Konami, but even then, whenever I suggest new ideas, they get shot down over worries about sales, money and risks."

He is one of the few devs that has ALL the choice about what to develop.

He really, really doesn't. As an employee of Konami, I would be very surprised if there isn't some form of contract tying him to the Metal Gear Solid series in some form or other. Many creators get legally shackled to their works in such a way. The idea being that, by producing a game, you are also legally required to produce sequels to said game if the publisher so desires.

Edit: If he can't is probably due how japanese corporate culture works in regards of stagnation. IE, he can, but he won't due cultural limitations. That said the same corporate culture makes their companies stronger in some other regards.

I... erm... what? How did we go from "He probably doesn't have the creative freedom he likes" to "It's totally the fault of Japanese culture" ? Do you have any idea just how plain racist that sounds? Taking a small, singular problem like this, and then claiming it to be caused by an entire culture is just xenophobic in the extreme. Especially seeing as this isn't a problem limited to Japan. This is a problem facing publishers and financiers all round the world. It's a universal given that if something is popular, the people making money from it will want to see more of it. Just look at Activision, an American company, and Ubisoft, a French company.

I really hope he can get away from Metal Gear. He's someone the gaming industry has needed, someone who can make a game awesome with hundreds of little subtle touches instead of massive LOOK OVER HERE setpieces, and I really hope he can finally get away from the series that he very obviously wanted to end with MGS4.

I love Metal Gear quite dearly, but I just want it to be over with. Guns of the Patriots was a superb ending to such a long running series that I'm a little miffed at the existence of Rising: Revengeance. At the very least, the latter looks entertaining, so I let it go.

OT: If Kojima wants recognition for other things, might I suggest working on other things? Kojima even teased us back in 2008 by saying he was interested in working on a new Zone of the Enders title. Go back to that, please... We've been waiting forever for a sequel. Or a prequel. Gods know Kojima has plenty of THOSE up his sleeve. *cough*groundzeroes*cough*

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I... erm... what? How did we go from "He probably doesn't have the creative freedom he likes" to "It's totally the fault of Japanese culture" ? Do you have any idea just how plain racist that sounds? Taking a small, singular problem like this, and then claiming it to be caused by an entire culture is just xenophobic in the extreme. Especially seeing as this isn't a problem limited to Japan. This is a problem facing publishers and financiers all round the world. It's a universal given that if something is popular, the people making money from it will want to see more of it. Just look at Activision, an American company, and Ubisoft, a French company.

Sigh, fine, go for interpretations and ignore the facts that he greenlighted ZoE (a new franchise) and Castlevania (a reboot). He literally got the approval and money for those two, but whatev, think what you want.

And ask any japanese, their country corporate culture is different. Its not racist, i am not saying its worse, just a fact... so... where the crap you get the racist connotations from?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

rhizhim:

SNIP

i understand this to some extend. of course his "bosses" want to make more of that gaming crack to get rich.
and even if the following sounds cheesy, kickstarter has been the starting signal for developers to try something new.

and he can even talk to his boss and tell them that he has made enough money for them so they could in return give him a chance to try something new, a possible new i.p that could be as successful as the metal gear franchise.

and again, i bet you can point a lot of his hesitation on the metal gear fans that shun him when he tries something new or other than just another metal gear title.

does anyone remember the shitstorm when kojima wanted to end the storyline of solid snake (he made the mistake of replacing him with a whiny emo douche) and later on wanted to make it cannon that snake dies?

he is just saying, please let me try something new.

and i say go for it. even if you have to cut loose from some safety lines.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here