Hideo Kojima Wants Non-Metal Gear Recognition

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Gotta wonder why he doesn't just "do it" then... I mean Zone of The Enders 2 was pretty darn good and the Boktai/Lunar Knights games were fun... I suppose I don't get why he doesn't spread his wings if he wants to. Can't find money to make them perhaps? Or afraid of failure maybe? Who knows, I'd like to see those games though, I love Kojima's work, warts and all.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
He probably hasn't got any choice in the matter. Konami are ultimately the ones who own the franchise, and finance the developers. It's the same situation as with any other franchise: the developers have enough ideas for a dozen different original ideas, but the publisher just want another sequel to their hit game.

It doesn't help that Kojima's non-Metal Gear games haven't exactly sold all that well. I imagine shopping yourself out to other publishers becomes a lot harder when everything you've done that isn't Metal Gear had niche success at best.

He has just as much of a hand in cementing himself in the MGS franchise as Konami does, perhaps even more so: He set up his own production studio, and what does he use as a logo? He creates a new graphics engine, and what does he call it?

I'm not saying this out of spite for the guy. He's very passionate about his baby and understandably has a hard time letting go. And frankly I'm glad there are still developers out there with as much passion for their games as Kojima.

Tanakh:

Sigh, fine, go for interpretations and ignore the facts that he greenlighted ZoE (a new franchise) and Castlevania (a reboot). He literally got the approval and money for those two, but whatev, think what you want.

ZoE is a niche series that never got all that much acclaim, or that many sales. More importantly, it was greenlit for the PS2, during a time when small development teams could still make games for consoles without bankrupting themselves in the process.

As for Castlevania... it's a reboot of one of the oldest, most influential franchises in gaming. If you're trying to use that as an argument for Kojima's so-called creative freedom, then perhaps you need to take another look at what you're saying. Rebooting a decades old franchise is not the same thing as making a new game, in the same way moving Call Of Duty from WWII to the modern-era did not make a new game.

And ask any japanese, their country corporate culture is different. Its not racist, i am not saying its worse, just a fact... so... where the crap you get the racist connotations from?

Is corporate culture different in Japan? Yes.

Is Japanese corporate culture the specific reason for why Kojima hasn't worked on anything original for a while? No. At least, I don't see any evidence to suggest this. All the evidence I see points towards the universal desire of corporations to minimise risk and maximise profit. And yet, you claimed that it was specifically Japanese culture to blame. On what are you basin such assumptions? It's not enough to go "it's different." African culture is different to European culture, but that doesn't mean I go round assuming every African I meet is a cannibal, or a warlord.

If you cannot back up your original statement with at least some evidence, then yes, it is racism. Blaming problems on perceived differences in culture without evidence is pretty much the definition of racism.

rhizhim:

i understand this to some extend. of course his "bosses" want to make more of that gaming crack to get rich.
and even if the following sounds cheesy, kickstarter has been the starting signal for developers to try something new.

Kickstarter is a way for small-scale developer teams to develop small-scale games for PC. Kojima doesn't work with small teams. He doesn't make small-scale games. And Japanese gaming is far more based around consoles than it is about PC.

and he can even talk to his boss and tell them that he has made enough money for them so they could in return give him a chance to try something new, a possible new i.p that could be as successful as the metal gear franchise.

Yeah, see, thinking like that is nice and all, but let me tell you, the reality is very different.

Do you know how many famous writers, directors, musicians, developers and artists have gone to speak with their financiers, and suggested new interesting directions to go in? And do you know how the majority of the time, those proposals get rejected, and the artist gets strong-armed into makign a sequel/follow up to whatever made them famous in the first place?

Your proposal is based on the idea that publishers are open-minded individuals open to experimentation and risk. They are not. Publishers are not in the business of taking creative risks. They are in the business of making money. And as far as they're concerned, claiming that your new IP will be as successful as Metal Gear is about as informative as claiming that your car can drive to the moon. Saying that your new IP will be succesful doesn't make it so. Every year, we see dozens of games flop. Games that came out promising new ideas, new revolutions in how we play games, only to fall on their face and cost their publishers millions.

How much money you made for a company in the past is irrelevant. Publishers only care about tomorrow. And if they think that Kojima will make them more money by making new Metal Gear games, then by God they're going to shackle him to the series and get him making new Metal Gear games.

and again, i bet you can point a lot of his hesitation on the metal gear fans that shun him when he tries something new or other than just another metal gear title.

Well, that's the fault of the fans. Part of being a true gamer is supporting your favourite developers when they want to go in new directions. If people only want to buy Metal Gear games from Kojima, then that only reflects poorly on them, not on him.

soes anyone remember the shitstorm when kojima wanted to end the storyline of solid snake (he made the mistake of replacing him with a whiny emo douche) and later on wanted to make it cannon that snake dies?

he is just saying, please let me try something new.

and i say go for it. even if you have to cut loose from some safety lines.

yeah, but Konami don't think the same way you do. Konami likes safety lines. Safety lines are safe. They provide them with guaranteed income. Hence why they stick with them. And hence why they probably keep Kojima tied up in the basement, forcing him to make new Metal Gear games for them.

Have you ever seen Misery? Konami is Cathy Bates, and Kojima is Ed Harris.

I love MGS games and I love Hideo Kojima but the only franchise I've played other then MGS is ZOE 1 and 2 and not bought those games

As much as I'd love to see Hideo make a new game series it wouldn't change the fact he would still be famous for his work on Metal gear and its fame.

But, he already has that:

Now can we please have more ZOE?

Yeah, good look with that. He's been saying this since MGS 2 and even if he eventually does completely move away from the Metal Gear franchise, he'll only survive for a few weeks because by then all the hardcore Metal Gear fanboys would have raided his home and ripped him apart, piece by piece, for leaving (just look at the time he got threats for refusing to work on MGS 4 and that was more than 4 years ago)

man, i miss boktai

i don't think anybody misses snatcher

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Tanakh:

Sigh, fine, go for interpretations and ignore the facts that he greenlighted ZoE (a new franchise) and Castlevania (a reboot). He literally got the approval and money for those two, but whatev, think what you want.

ZoE is a niche series that never got all that much acclaim, or that many sales. More importantly, it was greenlit for the PS2, during a time when small development teams could still make games for consoles without bankrupting themselves in the process.

As for Castlevania... it's a reboot of one of the oldest, most influential franchises in gaming. If you're trying to use that as an argument for Kojima's so-called creative freedom, then perhaps you need to take another look at what you're saying. Rebooting a decades old franchise is not the same thing as making a new game, in the same way moving Call Of Duty from WWII to the modern-era did not make a new game.

And ask any japanese, their country corporate culture is different. Its not racist, i am not saying its worse, just a fact... so... where the crap you get the racist connotations from?

Is corporate culture different in Japan? Yes.

Is Japanese corporate culture the specific reason for why Kojima hasn't worked on anything original for a while? No. At least, I don't see any evidence to suggest this. All the evidence I see points towards the universal desire of corporations to minimise risk and maximise profit. And yet, you claimed that it was specifically Japanese culture to blame. On what are you basin such assumptions? It's not enough to go "it's different." African culture is different to European culture, but that doesn't mean I go round assuming every African I meet is a cannibal, or a warlord.

If you cannot back up your original statement with at least some evidence, then yes, it is racism. Blaming problems on perceived differences in culture without evidence is pretty much the definition of racism.

Well, you said he prob didn't had any choice. Then i pointed 2 of the 12 non MGS games he has produced personaly and not developed, hoping you would notice that he can indeed get Konamy to make other games, so that is not the problem. I know what I am saying, and that is that 12 games produced in a 24 year span and him being the freaking vp of the digital area of konami doesn't convince you that he can indeed greenlight games he finds interesting, nothing will.

As for the culture, how do you know it's not the reason? Look at other designers that have his level of recognition in France, UK and US, and you will find that they tend to be way less on a leash than Kojima, if they want to end a fanchise, they do, or if they dont own the brand at least leave the studio to work on something they want. I do suspect that the corporate culture is what keeps Kojima so in line. Want concrete examples? Obsidian, Double Fine, Molyneux or Fargo wanted to go out of the box, and they went kickstarter, so it's quite patent that Kojima having much better rep that some of those can do it witout even the chance to fail. Heck, if you look at videogame kickstarters in general you will fine a lack of japanese projects, and even the japanese inspired games seem to be developed by non japanese guys. Now, if the japanese have such a rich history as game devs, yet don't figure there, i do conclude it has more to do with the vertical structure of the society and with the way the big current names there were raised.

At the very least it's clear that he and the other big names near his generation in Japan(Hiroyuki Ito, Shigeru Miyamoto, etc) have a very different relationship with his parent companies compared to the western ones. Just go and read their CV if you want proof.

I delcared that the engine from MGS3 could have made a neat hunting game, all its own.

He has made some excellent games. I have to be honest, ZoE 1 and 2 were fantastic, IMO. The story was deep and gameplay was a lot of fun. It had that element from Metal Gear that was the hugely unique bosses. I think what hurt it bad was that terrible anime. But, he is also one of those really annoying developers that spends far too much time planning and talking about a project.

SUNLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

yeah i guess to avoid mod wrath i should mention that this seems to be typecasting for game designers, doesn't happen with as many people but i still get why it's annoying. but at least he is being remembered for MGS, which is by and large pretty good

Gamers know his name. If its on a box, he has our attention. You don't have to tip toe into a new series Hideo, just dive right in.

Great attitude, I hope you succeed and others adopt the same motivation. Please try to be original still and avoid making something to your average FPS.

Can't comment on any of the MGS games since I've never played or seen any, but my friends said it has become tired.

Then how about continuing the Boktai/Lunar Knights saga because that series sure was fucking awesome.

Especially since you teased the possibility of a lot of new baddies in the universe but then sorta forgot the whole thing.

Well, I know recognize him as "That dude who's always sitting on a roller-duck"... How's that?

To get my recognition would be incredibly easy: first open the files for ZOE 2 HD; find the battleship level after the bossfight with Inhert/Lloyd; copy the level ten times, changing the amount of ships and the enemy types in each copy; sell it.

Seriously though, I love Kojima's work outside of his more cutscene heavy games. The Boktai series was fun and gave me a nice feeling and ZOE has that one level which I hold as the benchmark for all giant robot games.

First, remake or release Policenauts. Then we can talk, Mr. Kojima.

An english version of Policenauts would be nice, so people dont have to patch it and run emulators. I mean seriously, how is it still not available officially? Also, more Snatcher, or an english version for the PS1 version without censoring scenes. Go.

He wants recognition for stuff other than MGS? Then he should fucking make ZOE 3 already.

The man gave me Policenauts, Boktai and Zone of the Fucking Enders, I like him plenty for his non-MGS related work. He's already announced Zone of the Enders 3 and hopefully people will buy his damn game without a Metal Gear related doo-dad attached to it. I know very very very few people who bought ZOE for ZOE and not the MGS2 demo; every single one of them didn't even glance at ZOE2 even though it was a massive improvement. Granted the second game didn't have much (if any) publicity aside from a magazine article. They fairly recently launched the ZOE HD Collection, but like with the first one I'm sure that sold well for the MGR demo.

He should get out the games industry altogether and do something fresh.

(again with that picture of him on the duck? It was funny the first 50 times. Now? Not so much.)

It's been said before but...Kojima, work on something else, then!

I agree with the fact that he has more to offer. And it seems he's tried to break away from MGS a couple of times now but always keeps going back to it for some reason. Either way, he'll always be burdened, or blessed, by it. It's like when actors are forever associated to a character they portrayed, like Daniel Radcliffe and Harry Potter or Rob Pattison and Twilight.

But just watch, if he stops making MGS games, people will start clamoring for them. There's just no pleasing us so just do whatever, Koji. :/

This is great news for MGS fans. It means the next game is going to me stuffed full of ridiculous features because his going to be using it as a testing ground - ie. his going to write off all the extra work as R&D for foxengine and other IP's.

Remember all those easter eggs and small features in MGS4!

He must've heard about Metal Gear BOX... That'd drive anyone over the edge.

marurder:
He should get out the games industry altogether and do something fresh.

He already failed as a filmmaker....

JEBWrench:
Just out of curiosity, what decisions were actually bad design choices in MGS2? The controls were better, and true, a large bit of the game got cut for tech and time restraints. The only actual design choice that could be arguably poor would be the whole Raiden thing, and that is absolutely where Kojima wanted to take MGS. Raiden's his favourite character in the series.

I haven't played any MGS title so I can't really say. From what I have heard about them two things seem pretty clear - Kojima has a knack for putting cool little details into his games and the MGS story is well beyond silly. The "Kojima troll" thing mainly stems from putting things into his games that would run contrary to the expectations of the stereotypical image of the west male teenage audience.

I'm sorry, Kojima. I will always know you as the "Metal Gear" guy. And then, there is this:

Casual Shinji:
You should probably stop making them then, Kojima.

I love the series, but stop please.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I'm pretty sure this is him politely admitting, in a roundabout way, that he's been trying to kill off Metal Gear for years. Can't say l blame him. MGS4 couldn't have been more 'This is the end ' if it tried. Personally, l think 5 is more than a little unnecessary.

I like the idea of Raiden getting a spinoff personally (jumping the shark so hard it got cancer aside), but I also think it's the perfect opportunity for Kojima to hand the series off to someone else so he can do something else, like ZoE3 or the Policenauts reboot he mentioned.

Nieroshai:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I'm pretty sure this is him politely admitting, in a roundabout way, that he's been trying to kill off Metal Gear for years. Can't say l blame him. MGS4 couldn't have been more 'This is the end ' if it tried. Personally, l think 5 is more than a little unnecessary.

I like the idea of Raiden getting a spinoff personally (jumping the shark so hard it got cancer aside), but I also think it's the perfect opportunity for Kojima to hand the series off to someone else so he can do something else, like ZoE3 or the Policenauts reboot he mentioned.

As a gaiden series, I can see Revengeance (seriously, how is that a real word?) working. Different gameplay, different story, hopefully different ideas and themes...

As for Kojima, I'd just love to see him make something truly original again. As in, a fresh game with its own unique story, setting and gameplay. He's arguably the most left-field, experimental AAA game designer out there. Even MGS4 had some truly genius moments. I just can't shake the feeling that the vast majority of his work post MGS1 has been him trolling fans as hard as he can, to get a rise out of them. I'd love to see him work on something where he doesn't have to deal with pre-existing fan expectations, and can just make whatever the hell he feels like. He's the sort of guy who I think could truly make something dazzling and unique if given the resources. Kind of like the anti-Molyneux...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Nieroshai:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

As a gaiden series, I can see Revengeance (seriously, how is that a real word?) working. Different gameplay, different story, hopefully different ideas and themes...

As for Kojima, I'd just love to see him make something truly original again. As in, a fresh game with its own unique story, setting and gameplay. He's arguably the most left-field, experimental AAA game designer out there. Even MGS4 had some truly genius moments. I just can't shake the feeling that the vast majority of his work post MGS1 has been him trolling fans as hard as he can, to get a rise out of them. I'd love to see him work on something where he doesn't have to deal with pre-existing fan expectations, and can just make whatever the hell he feels like. He's the sort of guy who I think could truly make something dazzling and unique if given the resources. Kind of like the anti-Molyneux...

I agree, definitely. Those two projects are the ones he has been reminiscing about and wanting to quit MGS to do though.

Casual Shinji:
He has just as much of a hand in cementing himself in the MGS franchise as Konami does, perhaps even more so: He set up his own production studio, and what does he use as a logo? He creates a new graphics engine, and what does he call it?

I'm not saying this out of spite for the guy. He's very passionate about his baby and understandably has a hard time letting go. And frankly I'm glad there are still developers out there with as much passion for their games as Kojima.

Troll commentary go: An image from Policenauts! Troll commentary off. True, it was a Metal Gear reference. But it's from Plicenauts. It almost subtly implies more than just Metal Gear. Almost.

EDIT: For misplaced quote tag.

Don't worry, Hideo, we'll always remember Penguin Land.

Zone of the Enders should be given more attention. It was a really good IP for its time and hopefully he revives it. To this day I haven't played anything similar to ZOE. Well at least ZOE 2 which is what I played.

Snatcher was pretty cool, even if it was the bastard child of Blade Runner and Terminator.
If Konami really is circling the drain of thought like so many other publishers, maybe it's just time to follow Inafune and bail on them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here