CCP Reveals Plan for EVE Online Exhibit at MOMA

CCP Reveals Plan for EVE Online Exhibit at MOMA

EVE Online studio CCP wants to make December 9 the most interesting day in the history of New Eden.

The Museum of Modern Art chose EVE Online as one of 14 games that will go on display in one format or another in a videogame exhibit that premieres on March 2013, and now CCP has revealed how it intends to present its infamous space-based MMO to the world of art lovers: a full day of life in New Eden distilled into a brief video sequence that will be shown across two large screens.

"Rather than having a PC simply running EVE somewhere in the corner with a keyboard and mouse and risk the untrained audience spending their time angrily trying to open the door in the captain's quarters or being serial suicide ganked in Jita, we decided on a more linear presentation," CCP t0rfifrans explained. "So we call on you. Let's make Sunday, December 9th the most interesting day in the history of New Eden and capture it to be archived forever in the nuclear-apocalypse-proof vaults of the MoMA."

"Our infographics will display market activity, NPC kills, player kills, jumps and all those metrics that explain how vibrant and alive our world is," he wrote. "The player captured gameplay videos will give it a human face. Whatever you are doing that night, whether it is running plexes, hauling ore, hunting with a small gang in losec, or fighting in a large fleet engagement, we ask that you record it, both video and sound and chatter, upload it and allow us to celebrate it in a montage of New Eden awesomeness."

There are rules, of course. Anything that violates the EULA won't be used, nor will "blatant obscenity or other behavior which may be entertaining to you, but doesn't necessarily help paint this image of the universe of New Eden we want to communicate." How that squares with the notoriously bad behavior of EVE players - which, I think we can all agree, is what results in the game's most interesting days - is left unsaid.

Instructions for recording and submitting your contribution to "the most interesting day in New Eden," as well as further guidelines about what CCP is and isn't looking for, can be found at the EVE Online Dev Blog.

Yes, our game is far too fustrating to actually demo, so let's just have videos up of other people playing instead. Why not both? One screen with pre-made videos and another with an already established ship set in a starter/beginner safe-zone?

Y'know... I've always been pretty interested in EVE. But I missed the buck at launch and always felt like I would be too far behind and not have the incentive to devote the time required to catch up. So I put it off, again and again. And now I'm in this state of the game catching my interest but instilling within me a wistful sense of what could have been.

I know, I know, I could just go play it. But I'm playing other games and the one thing I have learnt about EVE is that it's a monumental time-sink. In a genre of monumental time-sinks.

AldUK:
Y'know... I've always been pretty interested in EVE. But I missed the buck at launch and always felt like I would be too far behind and not have the incentive to devote the time required to catch up. So I put it off, again and again. And now I'm in this state of the game catching my interest but instilling within me a wistful sense of what could have been.

I know, I know, I could just go play it. But I'm playing other games and the one thing I have learnt about EVE is that it's a monumental time-sink. In a genre of monumental time-sinks.

I had a similar experience with WoW. During the school year my high-school friends would talk about going on raids and their class builds and it would sound like so much fun. I kept putting off getting it because I didn't want it to interfere with school work and over the summers it wasn't even on my mind. Tried geting it for my little brother once after I graduated but we couldn't figure out how to set it up. But our internet has always been crap and since I my last Desk top crashed I wouldn't have anything to play it on myself. Nowadays with how apparent it's shortcomings are and how outdated the subscription model has become, I'm kinda glad I didn't.

AldUK:

Oh, just get the free two week trial. It's not gonna kill you. You can even get a 3 week trial, if you ask someone who plays the game to send you an invite.

If you're not impressed, don't buy subscription.

Speaking of subscription (since DVS BSTrD was talking about it being an outdated business model)... There's supposed to be some sort of way to forgo the subscription fee but involves spending ingame credits. I'm not quite sure how much you need but I'm fairly certain that you need to build up a pretty decent economy, in order to afford it. I guess it's a way to reward those who have been playing the game long enough with the option of free subscription.

Product Placement:

AldUK:

Speaking of subscription (since DVS BSTrD was talking about it being an outdated business model)... There's supposed to be some sort of way to forgo the subscription fee but involves spending ingame credits. I'm not quite sure how much you need but I'm fairly certain that you need to build up a pretty decent economy, in order to afford it. I guess it's a way to reward those who have been playing the game long enough with the option of free subscription.

Basically how it works is a player buys a code for 30 days for real money and then converts that into an in game item. That in game item can then be sold to other players, for the in game currency, and that player can then redeem the item for the 30 days.

On average it takes a new player (that plays regularly) about 2-3 months before he has sufficient income to buy more time in the allotted 30 days.

Oh and for those that think they can't catch up. I've known pilots that have joined and been useful in their first fleet battles in less then a day of playing and were actually taking on and killing other players themselves within two weeks.

Lyvric:
Yes, our game is far too fustrating to actually demo, so let's just have videos up of other people playing instead. Why not both? One screen with pre-made videos and another with an already established ship set in a starter/beginner safe-zone?

No such thing as a safe zone in EVE. Sure some areas are safer then others but none are safe and you can bet your ass that if they had people trying out the game in the newbie systems you'd find a lot of suicide bombers flying around.

AldUK:

The fear of feeling useless against all the big elites is not really a problem.

Someone might have been playing for years, but catch him in his 20mil industrial ship, unguarded, he'll die from your 3 week old, 6 mil Rifter.

It can be a time sink, but that is only a matter of how much time you spend on it.
Doing a few missions a day or mine for a few hours might not get you money fast, but if that is not your goal, why rush?

pffh:
Basically how it works is a player buys a code for 30 days for real money and then converts that into an in game item. That in game item can then be sold to other players, for the in game currency, and that player can then redeem the item for the 30 days.

Hmm... Ok. So in the long run, somebody bought that subscription with real life money. So I guess the main incentive for people to buy these PLEX (looked up the name) is to sell them for lots of in-game credit?

Product Placement:

pffh:

Hmm... Ok. So in the long run, somebody bought that subscription with real life money. So I guess the main incentive for people to buy these PLEX (looked up the name) is to sell them for lots of in-game credit?

Yup and supply and demand governs the price.

AldUK:

One of the big differences between Eve and most MMOs is you don't level skills via in-game play - rather, you level them over time. If you're geniunely interested, but don't currently have the time, set-up an account and subscribe for awhile and let skills train. If you need advice, skill training plans and what not hit me up. In Eve-Online I've been a Mercenary with *the* most respected outfit of recent, been in charge of the 150 man training wing of a pirate alliance, ran my own outfit - and those are just the highlights. Whatever you're interested in with Eve I can probably help you with it.

pffh:

Product Placement:

AldUK:

On average it takes a new player (that plays regularly) about 2-3 months before he has sufficient income to buy more time in the allotted 30 days.

Oh and for those that think they can't catch up. I've known pilots that have joined and been useful in their first fleet battles in less then a day of playing and were actually taking on and killing other players themselves within two weeks.

Ewww, fleet battles. Mindless sheep killing each other at the behest of rich dictators. No skill either =P.

That said, you do make the point I was going to - skill points are not everything. In Eve, player skill is more important than gear, skill point, age or what have you. This is a game built entirely around the 'meta' - being a good pilot, making the right social connections and a clever tounge will do you much better than being and old rich player.

pffh:

Lyvric:

No such thing as a safe zone in EVE. Sure some areas are safer then others but none are safe and you can bet your ass that if they had people trying out the game in the newbie systems you'd find a lot of suicide bombers flying around.

Heh. So much this. Hell, I'd probably do it for a laugh and that sort of thing generally isn't my cup of tea.

Cry Wolf:
One of the big differences between Eve and most MMOs is you don't level skills via in-game play - rather, you level them over time. If you're geniunely interested, but don't currently have the time, set-up an account and subscribe for awhile and let skills train. If you need advice, skill training plans and what not hit me up. In Eve-Online I've been a Mercenary with *the* most respected outfit of recent, been in charge of the 150 man training wing of a pirate alliance, ran my own outfit - and those are just the highlights. Whatever you're interested in with Eve I can probably help you with it.

Thanks very much for the offer Cap'n! But, I'm going to avoid subscriptions for a while and play some single-player. I've got a backlog of games to play through. And I'm super stoked about Star Citizen, so I might just save my sci-fi space epic itch for that in a couple of years.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here