Halo Series Reaches 50 Million Games Sold

Halo Series Reaches 50 Million Games Sold

Gamers can compete in the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge for a chance to win a UNSC-themed Ford truck.

It's been more than 11 years since Halo: Combat Evolved kicked off one of gaming's most successful series alongside the launch of the Xbox. Since then, seven more Halo games have been released, including the recently launched Halo 4. According to Microsoft, the series has now topped 50 million units sold, and players have spent over five billion hours playing Halo games on Xbox Live.

In October, Microsoft announced that the Halo series had reached 46 million sales, which indicates that Halo 4 has sold four million units since its November 6 launch. The release generated $220 million in its first 24 hours.

If you feel that you have superior Halo 4 skills, Microsoft has also announced a free-to-enter tournament, which begins on December 17. The Halo 4 Infinity Challenge, which is sponsored by Virgin Gaming, will have players competing in War Games and Spartan Ops modes on global leaderboards. The grand prizes are a UNSC-themed 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor truck and a two-minute appearance in the next Halo game, and there will be plenty of smaller prizes as well. You can register at the Infinity Challenge website.

Source: GameSpot

Virgin Gaming? Seriously, I just can't get past that name. Virgin Gaming, really?

OT: It seems kind of cool. I won't take part in it, I'm horrible at Halo, even though I play it quite a lot.

Virgin Gaming?

I've never played Halo--don't own a console--but this reminds me of how Starcraft is a national obsession in Korea.

VeryOddGamer:
Virgin Gaming? Seriously, I just can't get past that name. Virgin Gaming, really?

*snip*

Virgin Gaming?

You are a very, very naughty person.

I think my stats are respectable enough for me to compete.

Too bad I wont since I have no interest in a truck, and while I'm a rabid halo fan I don't want to drive a piece of marketing material. Oh well.

VeryOddGamer:
Virgin Gaming?

You know, like Virgin Airlines or Virgin Records:

Does it make more sense now? lol

Forgive me for being bitter, but Halo 4 has caused the already waning competitive Halo community to more or less disperse and cannibalize itself with infighting. This is a Halo game that just isn't viable for competition, which is kind of an oxymoron. Giving you options to control your experience is a Halo staple, but 343 gutted the options available to us as well. We couldn't turn this garbage into something playable even if we wanted to. This is a game chock full of fluff, knickknacks and handouts designed for people who don't care about the actual content of Halo. That they're trying to get me to take it seriously and compete in a tournament just rubs salt in the wound.

So that's the Halo legacy. Find a name that sells, run the franchise through the Michael Bay machine and move fifty million copies to disgruntled fans trying to relive old glories and people who don't even care how good the game is.

Also, please stop saying the campaign was good. It had pretty backdrops and good music. Everything else was terrible.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here