New Star Trek Trailer Explodes Into Darkness

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Star Trek Trailer Explodes Into Darkness

The crew of the Enterprise is once again called upon to save humanity from some dude with a grudge.

"Do you think your world is safe? It is an illusion." So says Benedict Cumberbatch, who sounds disconcertingly like Patrick Stewart in the first Star Trek: Into Darkness trailer. And wouldn't it be cool if it actually was Stewart, playing the role of galactic super-villain bent on destroying this hip, new crew of the Enterprise and probably a significant portion of the cosmos in the process? Sadly, Stewart's pure, pulsating awesomeness means he could not help but emerge triumphant from such an encounter, and studio executives would be quick to point out that it's hard to monetize a franchise when everybody's dead.

Anyway, moving on. Here's what we learn from watching the Into Darkness trailer: Some dude is out for revenge, people fight, things blow up, bwaaaaam, and... where's Chekhov? Did I miss him, or is he just missing?

This may be the most useless movie trailer I've ever seen. The presence of explosions, fights and angry revenge dude was a foregone conclusion, so what's actually going on here? What's it all about? I have no idea. Call me old fashioned if you will (or maybe just old), but I tend to prefer my promotional videos with a wee little bit more to them than just fast cuts, CGI and ominously vague narration. I enjoyed the first J.J. Abrams Trek, and I'll probably go see this one too - but I have no idea why!

My first thought was "where's Chekhov?" too but that's more to do with my massive man-crush on Anton Yelchin than anything character related.

This still looks good. And I love that they have Cumberbatch playing Tom Hiddleston playing Loki. (I jest)

according to IMDB Chekhov is in the movie, and the Bad Guy might just be Khan, so it is highly likely that they are taking one of the "best" Star Trek movies and remaking it, or they are just trying to hype the Hell out of this either way we have until May 2013 to speculate (assuming WW3 doesn't start)

Andy, I hate to be "that person", but the title of the movie is Star Trek Into Darkness.

There's no colon.

And as much as I absolutely wish you were correct and despise the title of this film, I have to correct you on principle of journalism.

Oh, and remember that this isn't a trailer for the movie, it is technically a teaser for the teaser trailer which is set to be out later this month.

OT: I'm still not sold on this film.

We'll see when the teaser trailer comes out on the 17th, I suppose.

That's... ok, I guess?

The last Star Trek movie was IMO mediocre at best. I don't mind the whole reboot thing, but the atrociously bad performance by the new Kirk combined by an utterly terrible script (seriously, the plot holes are so numerous and huge that there's more hole than plot...) meant that it was just eyecandy and little substance. It was a shame because I liked some of the things they tried to do. Perhaps they'll do better this time around, though I'm not particularly optimistic, seeing as the director is the same and the writers are the same. I'm expecting some fancy CGI wrapped around a lame plot that makes no sense in any way shape or form...

What do you mean you want know more about what's going on, this is a JJ Abrams movie, that is everything that's going on.

I've heard that "bwaaaaam" before...

It's the WHALIANS! And they're crashing the Enterprise into the ocean to release the humpbacks they recovered from the 21st century!

My reaction from watching this (also posted this before someone else does or we all saw this coming):
http://youtu.be/qXNqEURmKtA

I just watched that to hear what the guy doing Smaug's voice sounded like.
I like it to say the least.

Trailer was lackluster though.

I think there are a few clues that indicate Cumberbatch may be Khan. If you'll notice his costume around :24 the collar is very similar to that of Montalban in WoK. Also an allusion that he has returned for vengeance might be referring to the fact that he was frozen and shot out into space. It would be a little awkward though since they would not have met yet in the new timeline.

Also Nuclear Wessels. That is all.

tmande2nd:
I just watched that to hear what the guy doing Smaug's voice sounded like.
I like it to say the least.

Watch the BBC's Sherlock. You'll soon become addicted to his voice, and dream of a future movie where he teams up with Alan Rickman to play his son.

Looks good to me - I know we're all meant to perpetually grumpy and cynical here but yeh, I like this trailer.

Also, those people that have used a youtube before will know that the Japanese trailer somehow has a an extra 3 seconds or so of footage (wow!) that doesn't appear in any of the others as far I know. Also, I'm thinking that it isn't actually Khan as the villain in the film - more likely Gary Mitchell. If I'm right, then my memory of random arts of the original series will have finally come in useful.

I wonder how many times MovieBob has watched this trailer now? My guess - lots.

MarsProbe:
Looks good to me - I know we're all meant to perpetually grumpy and cynical here but yeh, I like this trailer.

Also, those people that have used a youtube before will know that the Japanese trailer somehow has a an extra 3 seconds or so of footage (wow!) that doesn't appear in any of the others as far I know. Also, I'm thinking that it isn't actually Khan as the villain in the film - more likely Gary Mitchell. If I'm right, then my memory of random arts of the original series will have finally come in useful.

12 seconds. If Cumberbatch isn't Khan I will be very surprised.

I FOUND CHEKHOV!

At the 00:37 to 00:38 transition where they woman is screaming and falling down on what seems to be a vertically turned ship, there's Chekhov to the left side under the hangover holding on. I'm at least 99% sure that's him.

Anyways, the trailer isn't "too bad", though it does need to get it's own BLEEPing music instead of that bwaaam junk that Inspection made so popular that every other movie has to use.

Why would they do the Spock thing though on their first meeting? In TOS, the first meeting results in the banishment that creates the desire for revenge we see later on. If the rumors about the new film are true, aren't they jumping the gun a bit?

Although, the altered timeline should have no effect on his first appearance, as the events leading to that happened before the timeline divergence.

Just keep an eye out for the SS Botany Bay... >:)

Azuaron:

That's what I thought too - definitely a clear hint to the death of "Old Spock" (as I guess you could call him). The reason I was thinking Mitchell is that the blonde woman who gives us a good scream at the 0:41 mark looks very much like a Dr. character from the original series who had some involvement with Mitchell and if they are following Trek uniform protocol to the letter, she is wearing blue for the science and medical side of things.

Granted though, Khan is the more iconic character so he would make more sense, plus having Cumberbatch playing him would be awesome. :) Plus he does seem to have increased strength here like Khan, swinging around a large weapon like it's nothing.

Jandau:
That's... ok, I guess?

The last Star Trek movie was IMO mediocre at best. I don't mind the whole reboot thing, but the atrociously bad performance by the new Kirk combined by an utterly terrible script (seriously, the plot holes are so numerous and huge that there's more hole than plot...) meant that it was just eyecandy and little substance. It was a shame because I liked some of the things they tried to do. Perhaps they'll do better this time around, though I'm not particularly optimistic, seeing as the director is the same and the writers are the same. I'm expecting some fancy CGI wrapped around a lame plot that makes no sense in any way shape or form...

Couldn't disagree with you more. I absolutely loved the reboot, I thought the film was exciting, action-packed and didn't insult the watcher's intelligence like so many others. The casting was amazing with the one exception of Simon Pegg, I love him, but he wasn't right for the role he was given. But everyone else nailed it, especially Spock. My God he's almost better than the original.

I'm stoked for this, it'll be one of only two films I actually pay to see next year.

AldUK:

Jandau:
That's... ok, I guess?

Couldn't disagree with you more. I absolutely loved the reboot, I thought the film was exciting, action-packed and didn't insult the watcher's intelligence like so many others. The casting was amazing with the one exception of Simon Pegg, I love him, but he wasn't right for the role he was given. But everyone else nailed it, especially Spock. My God he's almost better than the original.

I'm stoked for this, it'll be one of only two films I actually pay to see next year.

Really? I liked Simon Pegg as Scotty - though I could just be biased as a huge fan of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, or ignorant as someone who didn't watch much of the original Trek. But I thought he was fine, and in any case can't think of who would be obviously better. (Same goes with most of the new cast, except for Chekhov, and that might just be because he was underutilized enough that he failed to make much of an impression for me.)

OT: Agree that the trailer looks pretty but doesn't tell us anything we don't already know - everyone's back, spaceships, pretty, 'splosions. And the last bad guy was also after revenge. Hopefully the new plot isn't a rehash of the last one with a more charismatic heavy and slightly different gadgets.

MarsProbe:
The reason I was thinking Mitchell is that the blonde woman who gives us a good scream at the 0:41 mark looks very much like a Dr. character from the original series who had some involvement with Mitchell and if they are following Trek uniform protocol to the letter, she is wearing blue for the science and medical side of things.

Picture for comparison:

OT: Can't wait to see it. Wonder if we'll have a new round of "Star Trek vs. Star Wars" madness...

The Trailer:

BWOM

inceception with spaceships

BWOM

the gaps get shorter

BWOM
BWOM
BWOM
BWOM

startrek

There's NO WAY that isn't Khan!... #justsaying

thiosk:
The Trailer:

BWOM

inceception with spaceships

BWOM

the gaps get shorter

BWOM
BWOM
BWOM
BWOM

startrek

OT: Speaking of BWOMs, just watched a trailer there on IMDB for some film called "The Rift" - it seems to be about some mysterious rifts opening in the sky, seemingly portals to a realm of middling CGI - and the use of BWOMs in that one.... Until we get a parody BWOM trailer, that one will have to do...

Anyway, back to the topic of our blonde haired woman, can't help but notice in the comparison pics above her parting is on the opposite side in the film than it is in the series. Almost looking at it in a mirror. Uhoh, maybe we are actually in the mirror universe! ;)

Andy Chalk:
I enjoyed the first J.J. Abrams Trek, and I'll probably go see this one too - but I have no idea why!

As much as it may make us sound like Voltaire (at about the 5-minute mark), I gotta agree. I liked the first but the trailer for the second...it doesn't tell me anything. Who is that angry human and if he's been exiled for so long then why does he dress like a Jhonan Vasquez fan? I loved the one moment in the trailer where it just shows a bunch of people looking vaguely up and then suddenly gasping in horror.

So... Yeah. We see some setpieces and how the villain's going to look, and barely anything else.

This was miles, miles better. Hope the full trailer isn't going to be like the teaser.

Azuaron:

I haven't seen any of the old movies (or the TV series), but a throwback like this is frickin' awesome.

I can see a lot of people are still going to hate this movie, because the cast is still refreshingly young, the visuals are crisp and good looking, and there is action and excitement on the screen. I can almost hear the "but the ship isn't hanging on a wire anymore" and "the cast of Star Trek must never be younger than 50 years of age". I just made myself even more excited about this movie- didn't think it possible :)

AldUK:

Jandau:
That's... ok, I guess?

And I couldn't disagree with you more, AldUK. The reboot was the definition of an insult to intelligence. Nothing about the science or plot included within the movie made sense to anyone who was born post 1342 (A.D.). I would also claim that Simon Pegg did a remarkable job as Scotty, equal to the level of quality acting exhibited by the actors playing Bones or Spock. I was disappointed with Kirk and Uhura, and thought that they messed up their characters too much.

Rogue 09:

Kipiru:
I can see a lot of people are still going to hate this movie, because the cast is still refreshingly young, the visuals are crisp and good looking, and there is action and excitement on the screen. I can almost hear the "but the ship isn't hanging on a wire anymore" and "the cast of Star Trek must never be younger than 50 years of age". I just made myself even more excited about this movie- didn't think it possible :)

You're an idiot

And you just made all your comments irrelevant :)

"KHAAAAAAAAAN!! KHAAAAAAAAAN!"

Sorry, I had to do it, even if there's some improbability that B.C.'s playing him.

That wasn't a trailer, that was a teaser. And you've been teased. In fact, I'm teasing you right now for being an overreacting fanboy over less than 50 seconds of footage.

Kipiru:

I will officially hate it for the same reason i hated the first, it will use the science understanding of a 2 year old because jj abrams does not know or care about science stuff, he wants things that look pretty that explode alot, and he can do alot of fast cuts with the camera.

the scripts, "science" and dialogue, will be about as vapid as a daytime soap opera with a miltimillion dollar fx budget. all flash and no substence.

that was the issue with the new trek vs the old. and i pity you if you really cannot see the difference in treks.

Loved the first movie and will definitely be going to see this. I don't care what some fans say about him, I like Pine and all the others as young versions of the original series characters.

Azuaron:

MarsProbe:

I am going to inhale this movie.

Benedict is one of my favorite actors atm. He kills every performance I see him do >.>...

Ok I've only seen him in Sherlock, good enough for me.

GaltarDude1138:

OT: Can't wait to see it. Wonder if we'll have a new round of "Star Trek vs. Star Wars" madness...

...I hadn't even thought about that.
Disney, do you know what you have unleashed?

cerebus23:

Kipiru:

I will officially hate it for the same reason i hated the first, it will use the science understanding of a 2 year old because jj abrams does not know or care about science stuff, he wants things that look pretty that explode alot, and he can do alot of fast cuts with the camera.

the scripts, "science" and dialogue, will be about as vapid as a daytime soap opera with a miltimillion dollar fx budget. all flash and no substence.

that was the issue with the new trek vs the old. and i pity you if you really cannot see the difference in treks.

And I should pity you for not being able to enjoy a piece of fiction and missing the point of the Star Trek franchise altogether- the struggle of every individual to better himself. All of you keep banging on about the outer shell, the trivial things that do not hold any meaning to the feel and heart of the movie. The plot wasn't any less good than any other Star trek movie or episode. The dialogue and the performanse of the actors are too subjective to be pointed out at all and the same goes for the explosions and the overall amount of action in the movie. These things do not make the movie bad, just not good for you. And if you had just gone with your first sentense of "I will officially hate it for the same reason i hated the first". then I would have just run along with it, cause everyone has the right to an oppinion. But going along like you did and that "nobel peace prise winner" above, Rogue 09, is simply stupid and shows only bitterness and an unhealthy desire to show yourself as somethnig more.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here